[FIX] Pixel 3 QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx

Search This thread

eleazar6

Jan 29, 2009
Arlington, TX
This happened to me today. Stock, locked bootloader. A new security update was on read for the last few weeks, but don't think I installed it (possibly did). I liked this phone too... was just holding out until software updates stopped. :(

Last edited:

Flydiscovery

Jan 16, 2022
Same. Woke up this morning to a brick. Google support has no advice. My phone is completely stock with all updates installed so the previous theories that Google had released an update that fixed the problem is unfortunately wrong. Off to dig around for advice, but I think I'm pretty much SOL.

Bricked_Pixel3

Jan 16, 2022
Just stopping by to add my name to the list of people affected by this problem ;-( My Pixel 3 (US, stock, ordered direct from Google US, running Android 11) is now useless. QUSB_BULK_CID when connected to a computer, but otherwise lifeless. This was my primary phone and used it last night. came back from a Tennis game to find it completely dead. Power, Volume+ or Power, Volume- buttons do nothing.

Blubbiz

Mar 3, 2015
Today I sadly joined the club. Same thing: Suddenly blacked out while using. Battery was charged and no indication sth was wrong. Still no fix in sight. yikes

Screenshot 2022-01-17 152911-01.png

eturk01

Dec 17, 2007
Just woke up to my Pixel 4 XL black screen & QUSB_BULK... unknown device showing in Windows Device Manager.
Now it's showing as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed) in Device Manager".

So it looks like the phone is just bricked now, throw in the garbage?

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Just woke up to my Pixel 4 XL black screen & QUSB_BULK... unknown device showing in Windows Device Manager.
Now it's showing as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed) in Device Manager".

So it looks like the phone is just bricked now, throw in the garbage?
Not the garbage, find a place that will recycle it. Google "phone recycle"

LandoCat

Jan 23, 2022
Had the same issue as you all. Bricked phone over night, wont do anything and shows up as a QUSB_BULK.

Local repair centres are being less than helpful and Google's response was very dismissive.

In regards to me highlighting just how big an issue it is they said

" I understand your concern about this issue being posted in multiple public forums. I'd like to inform you that we do receive users with such issues and we help with the troubleshooting steps and most of the issues are resolved. Also, based on the volume our product development team do inform us on a daily basis if there is any known issue. I assure you that this isn't a known issue. "

So its not an issue? I just had Google brick my phone and now I can't afford another one right now so its a nokia 3310 or nothing for me for the next three months or so? Won't be replacing with a Google phone thats for sure.

benjg_

Mar 19, 2016
Have the same thing happen to my pixel 5 today. First I was casually browsing, suddnly got screenartifacts and unresponsive but was able to reboot. 15 min later it just went black out of nowhere completely unresponsive also with the "qusb_bulk" on the pc and no responses to adb commands

knome

Dec 23, 2010
Yeah just saw their response:

Google Response:
“This issue occurred due to the natural lifecycle of a memory component. Memory components have a predefined lifecycle based on consumer use cases over time. The recommended solution is an out of warranty repair or replacement - see https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10227672 to contact our authorized repair vendor”.

oh well, I guess voting with your wallet is a fix

Yungkeeev

Feb 2, 2022
My Pixel 3 got ****ed the same way last sunday over night. Shows up as QUSB_BULK_CID.... in device manager.

I guess that's it, Google just cuts off their old products since there's a newer one (btw my Pixel 3 looks like new lol). Really really disappointed. Feels bad to be so powerless about this.

Edit: reading this even happens to Pixel 5 users really scares me even more out to get the 6. When even the newer models are affected how are you supposed to use it without constant fear of it getting bricked again over night??? I was really happy with the overall Pixel quality. Up to now.
Yeah just saw their response:

Google Response:
“This issue occurred due to the natural lifecycle of a memory component. Memory components have a predefined lifecycle based on consumer use cases over time. The recommended solution is an out of warranty repair or replacement - see https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10227672 to contact our authorized repair vendor”.

oh well, I guess voting with your wallet is a fix

Last edited:

Halflifecrysis

Oct 9, 2017
I tweeted @ChimiclesLaw around Dec 21st when my 3XL bricked sitting on the charger. This law firm has handled a class action against Google before.

Anyway the Pixel 6 is having record sales! I wonder why? How many people have no clue about this and just thought their phone died naturally and got a new one. You think the Verizon sales people are saying anything to people lol.

Today, after a few days worried about this ****, my pixel 3 has dead in the same circunstances. During the morning at around 1 pm, screen goes black, and only can connect pc and read "QUSB..."
Tried to contact Google support, tried scalated to tier 2 support, and only get "Send to repair to Google" (431€ in my case), and nothing more, out of warranty and goodbye.
Was thinking about get a pixel 6 (i keep a nexus 5 working till the days), and was planing to keep this pixel 3, but now i don't know what phone buy, but this makes me think: NOT A GOOGLE PHONE.

Halflifecrysis

Oct 9, 2017
Today, after a few days worried about this ****, my pixel 3 has dead in the same circunstances. During the morning at around 1 pm, screen goes black, and only can connect pc and read "QUSB..."
Tried to contact Google support, tried scalated to tier 2 support, and only get "Send to repair to Google" (431€ in my case), and nothing more, out of warranty and goodbye.
Was thinking about get a pixel 6 (i keep a nexus 5 working till the days), and was planing to keep this pixel 3, but now i don't know what phone buy, but this makes me think: NOT A GOOGLE PHONE.
I bought my 6 about 35 days before they bricked my 3XL, I was outside my return window or I would have. I was going to buy an S21 and I am so mad I didn't.

Yungkeeev

Feb 2, 2022

So it's exsactly the same except your repair is 4€ cheaper than mine! Lucky guy lol. But yea I was also planning on getting the 6 sooner or later this year, while putting the 3 to the side as a Backup.

So it's exsactly the same except your repair is 4€ cheaper than mine! Lucky guy lol. But yea I was also planning on getting the 6 sooner or later this year, while putting the 3 to the side as a Backup.
I'm so frustrated by this, it really avoid me from buying another pixel, I'm a big fan, as I said, of the nexus phone days, but this hurts me too much to buy another pixel.

OKK77

Sep 23, 2009
OnePlus 3T
Google Pixel 3
I just joined this club with a Pixel 3 XL. They asked me to go down to the Singapore service partner who will not even check the phone without being paid SGD 42.80. Google is still pretending as if this is not a problem they have caused. Ridiculous.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    Last Saturday I had the same problem with my Pixel 3XL.
    It was charging with original charger (not the cable), and as I was in a hurry, took it out a bit roughly, but nothing extreme.
    I put in muy pocket (thought it 50% charged), and when I saw it after a while, it was totally dead, no screen, no vibrations, no sounds...nothing...
    I connected it to charger all the night long, then to another charger, then to my PC (Linux)...nothing...
    I searched all the internet and tried every trick, button combinations and so on...nothing...
    Didn't even know if there was energy arriving to motherboard...not a clue of nothing...
    Readindg this thread I realized some of you with similar problem were able to see the device on PC, so there had to be some energy arriving to motherboard for the system to detect it.
    My PC was not finding, even pressing all button combinations, so I decided to try with a Windows PC...nothing at he begining, but then I forced the system to find a new device (so it sends some signal to the phone...?), and at the same time pressing buttons...and suddenly the device appeared as unknown and saw the battery icon in the middle of the screen, then it was gonne, then it appeared...it was like a faulty conection...
    I kept on clicking finding device continuously and pressing power and volume down, and at the end the phone waked up with 0% battery, but charging!
    I let it for 30 min like that, and finally I was able to turn it on and it's working as before.
    So SOLVED!!!
    Hope this will work for at least some of you.
    Thanks for sharing, it has really helped me.
    Best,
    Same issue here, happened yesterday around 5pm. Was getting in the car, and connected the phone to the charger. Battery was about 67%, so I thought I'd top it off. Two seconds later, picked up the phone to check the time, and nothing. Blank as a brick. I had thought maybe somehow there is an electrical short or something like that. Until later I found this thread.

What a shame. The timing couldn't be any worse. The support for 3XL ended this month, May 2022 (https://9to5google.com/2022/02/03/everything-you-need-to-know-about-android-updates-on-google-pixel/). C'mon Google, I don't mind you not supporting my phone anymore, but don't kill it.

On unrelated issue to the thread, I also own a Google Slate with the cover with built in keyboard. The keyboard is no longer working. Just out of the blue one day. Upon research, I'm not the only one that this happened to. Many others too, and some mentioned that there was an OTA update around the time everyones keyboard stopped working.
    Sorry to necro this thread, but this literally just happened to me over night. Did anyone find any solutions or am I SOL?
    I was SOL. The 4a is nice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Happened to my unlocked, vanilla Pixel 3 (ordered 1/20/2019), in EDL mode and non responsive to any button combo, shows in device manager QUSB.

I believe I was at the most recent version of 12, non-beta. Last night, I was in Play Store and updated Messages app to latest, along side a Carrier Update and some others (can not recall). I also uninstalled a selection of apps to free up space. This morning, I woke up to a bricked phone.

I have been on Android 12 for a couple weeks, no issues until today. Curious about the Carrier Update (and/or possibly another one). As much as I am willing to believe this is some major neglect on Google's software... even possibly planned obsolescence, I have a feeling it (great source, I know!) that it may have to do with the flash storage reaching it's limits. Not trying to excuse, just searching for an explanation like us all.

I have the device protection plan with Google Fi. Spoke with their support, the first go around we went through the obvious steps. I even sent a screenshot of the device showing up in device manager, including S/N. When that went no where, the support rep said we could skip the device repair and go straight to replacement. He mentioned that the replacement would be "with whatever they had in stock" and I had some hope of getting a new/refurb 4 or higher. Unfortunately, I got the replacement email and it was for the exact same model Pixel 3, storage and color, refurbished. I contacted support again, and asked to cancel my RMA as I did not want another Pixel 3. I also shared how this issue seems to be common, sent them the Google Issues link, and that Google needs to make the firehose file available to end users to allow them access to their phones stuck in EDL mode. The rep said there was nothing they could do. The RMA cancellation had to be raised to their next tier of support, and that I would be contacted via email by said support. Still awaiting that email as of this post. I will also broach the topic of making the firehose available to end users.

I starred the issues tracker, since no more comments can be entered.

I also filled out the class lawsuit form, any pressure is good so long as it ends in Google releasing these firehose files. Arbiration opt-out be damned, if it takes hold that will likely not have much weight in the matter (IANAL).
    Sorry to hear, don't blame u at all being rather pissed, I'm not happy either having a pix 3.

One important thing though, the firehose would give us access in EDL mode, but **if** the problem is failed hardware, then there's nothing that could be done even with the firehose.

That may be why google is approaching this as they are, they may prefer to leave this as a *mystery*, rather than have it be known as hardware failure. Additionally, I"ve read of this now starting to occur with the 4a and the 4.

I'ts a pretty big mess really. I'm personally switching back to my LG preference for daily driver. Last thing I'd like to have happen is to need to make an emergency call or something, and find the device is dead.

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...

So maybe this is a little info to help understand the situation better.

When a phone is in EDL (Emergency Download Mode), the screen is always completely blank. And the only way you know it's in edl mode is (as has been mentioned) when it's usb connected and in device manager you'll see the (as title mentions) QUSB_BULK etc.

So, what this means is 1) the phone isn't completely dead 2) but the only way you can access the phone is with qualcomm qfil type software, which talks to a qualcomm device that's in edl mode.

Normally, edl mode happens on purpose, meaning you intentionally press the appropriate keys to put the device in that mode. But in this case, it's happening because there's (more than likely) something wrong with the bootloader, and it's going into edl mode by itself (it can't do anything else). But, it is telling that the1dynasty actually had his bootup once, surprisingly, that seems to suggest it's hw related (where heat etc can sometimes affect it's working or not).

Just to clarify, I've no idea if there is a solution, but IT IS NOT a problem with the screen, a blank screen in edl mode is EXACTLY the way it's suppose to behave (in that mode). And replacing the screen will be very expensive and will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem (as has been pointed out by at least one person already).

I've had an LGV40 and for it, we have a file called a 'firehose'. That's a very specific file that allows you, while in edl mode, to modify the device (and that's why I know about edl mode). You basically have complete control of the device, i.e. you can change any partition. Unfortunately, the needed firehose file is 'device specific', and there isn't one for the pixel 3 (or any pixel afaik).

So, just to reiterate what the1dynasty is saying, it's NOT the screen! Don't let anyone tell you it is. I wish I knew what would fix it, at this point it's sounding hw related, but we may never know for sure.

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...