• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[FIX] Pixel 3 QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx

Search This thread

stpenn123

Jun 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Same issue here on the 3 XL.
May have been a coincidence, but I did reboot because of the May OTA earlier in the day. Seemed fine for a few hours, then went to pick it up and completely dead. Shows up as
Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 connected to PC. So I guess its just booting in EDL mode.
Anyone have the qualcomm firehose files or a solution to this??

At the very least I'd just like to be able to get to my data.

tarung81

May 23, 2021
It also happened to my missus's pixel 3xl 5 days back. When I connected it to the computer can see QUSB-BULK. But cannot start the phone as well. What is going on here? Is Google purposely bricking all pixel 3 phones?

moohan123

Jun 9, 2021
The same thing happened to me two nights ago: Pixel 3XL Running Android 12 Beta 1, no issues, overnight it broke. Woke up to a screen saying 'phone corrupted' It was similar to this: forum.xda-developers.com/t/your-device-is-corrupt-it-cannot-be-trusted-huh.3582779/, unfortunately, I didn't take a picture, etc.

Since then the phone is off and completely unresponsive to any button presses (no recovery mode boot etc). When plugging it into my Windows PC it is seen as -
QUSB_BULK_CID:0402_SN:FA3EECC5 . I've tried forcing Google drivers onto it, I also tried adb and fastboot but I don't really know what I'm doing with those! If anyone wants to suggest commands I'm happy to try them and post the results.

tommygnns

Oct 14, 2009
Hi - The same issue happened to me yesterday morning where I woke up to a bricked Pixel 3. None of the troubleshooting methods worked (plugging in device & letting it charge, holding various button combos, etc.).

My PC is able to recognize the device via USB with similar device info listed in device manager that other people have posted earlier in this thread (QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxx).

I had installed the June 2021 security update about 5 days ago. I don't know if there is any possible correlation.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Not sure if this will help you guys, but we put the LG v40 into edl mode regularly. To get the device out of edl mode hold volume down and power for about 5 seconds, or for as long as it takes for it to start to boot.

The really strange thing is that your devices are going into edl mode on their own. That makes it sound like there's some kind of a problem, and there may be no way to exit edl?

To get the device out of edl mode hold volume down and power for about 5 seconds, or for as long as it takes for it to start to boot.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think the reason these phones are falling into EDL mode is because the bootloader has been corrupted during an attempted update - it's in EDL mode because there's nothing else it can boot into. I'd speculate it some link with that "clever" new approach of being able to update the OS in the background and switch to it on the next boot.

I've tried various hardware button combinations and nothing seems to work. Have even let the battery drain stone cold and then tried to breathe life into it. Feels like the only approach is the QFIL/firebase approach mentioned earlier in the thread.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think the reason these phones are falling into EDL mode is because the bootloader has been corrupted during an attempted update - it's in EDL mode because there's nothing else it can boot into. I'd speculate it some link with that "clever" new approach of being able to update the OS in the background and switch to it on the next boot.

I've tried various hardware button combinations and nothing seems to work. Have even let the battery drain stone cold and then tried to breathe life into it. Feels like the only approach is the QFIL/firebase approach mentioned earlier in the thread.

Well, that 'clever' new approach you refer to is project treble, and by no means is the pixel 3 the only phone using that. Virtually every phone made today uses it, and they aren't experiencing the same issue.

The 'normal' way to exit EDL is the one I mentioned. Works every time I've ever done it. So it not working for this device tells us, something else if F'd up, for sure. I'll have to re-read for the qfil solution, as qfil is not that difficult to get up and working.

But from what others in this thread have experienced, this is a devastating thing to be going wrong. To have your device, completely out of the blue, become completely unusable, that's so wrong it's not even slightly funny.

Doing some additional research, looks like the mmcblk0 image is getting corrupted. I don't see, following the qfil threads / mentions, that there is a firehose specifically available for pixel 3. I have one for sdm845 chip but it's for lgv40 specifically, I believe.

So, it appears, correct me if I'm wrong, that even having the mmcblk0 image (not corrupted of course), there's no way to flash it to the device without the specific firehose?

And, this has happened with other devices, but doesn't look like that many, HTC and another I saw, but also other pixels, including the pixel 2. But I've never heard of it happening with LG v30, 35, 40 (which are my recent devices).

still searching for more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasestu

utahphunk

Jun 24, 2021
Registered here just to post in this thread. My girlfriend's completely stock, vanilla, non-rooted Pixel 3 was bricked by this 2 days ago. Same exact situation everyone else has described here. After spending an entire day researching this, I had to give up and file a device protection (which we have through Google Fi) claim to get her a replacement phone for a $79 deductible.

Did we really just get F-ed by Google with no recourse? She'll end up being without a phone for about 5 days if the replacement arrives when they said it would. That's a pretty bad look when someone is looking for a job, too. We're absolutely furious here.

jancoow

Aug 21, 2018
Same happened to me this morning. Woke up, saw a message "your device is corrupted". Saw the google boot logo for a second and after that it won't turn on. Only black screen. Computer recognise it as qusb_bulk_cid. Any way of recovering? Can I reflash the image ?

BDroidz

May 14, 2021
Same issue here, set it on the table and came back 15 minutes later. Black screen, QUSB_BULK_CID when attached to PC USB, and reboot into recovery attempts unsuccessful. Mine also did an OTA update within the last week.

Very frustrated but more than that... have important files and can't get them off the device. Has anyone been able to retrieve their files at least?
Update:
Per guidance from https://store.google.com/us/repair I took my phone into uBreakiFix to have it repaired. They agreed the phone was stuck in EDL mode but thought the screen was dead.

They attempted a screen replacement at no charge. It did not fix the problem. Their next thought was the motherboard needed replacement but said at that point... you might as well buy a new phone.

It seems the problem is likely beyond the skill level of your standard phone repair shop. Anyone else will probably want to send their device directly to Google for repair or just buy a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcarvil

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Update:
Per guidance from https://store.google.com/us/repair I took my phone into uBreakiFix to have it repaired. They agreed the phone was stuck in EDL mode but thought the screen was dead.

They attempted a screen replacement at no charge. It did not fix the problem. They thought the motherboard needed replacement but said at that point... you might as well buy a new phone.

It seems the problem is likely beyond the skill level of your standard phone repair shop. Anyone else will probably want to send their device directly to Google for repair or just buy a new one.

It's unfortunate for sure, the problem is pretty obvious, as is the solution. We need the specific firehose for the pixel 3, and we need backups of the mmcblk0 un-corrupted image (that almost certainly is the reason it's stuck in edl, this image is corrupted).

I don't think any of the mom and pop 'repair' shops would be able to fix this issue. Honestly, I'm shocked google isn't releasing the firehose. It wouldn't stop it from getting corrupted, but it could be easily fixed if / when it did happen.

Good luck to you. Do be sure to let google know you won't be buying another of their phones! It's crazy they're doing this to their customers.

Reactions: jasestu

utahphunk

Jun 24, 2021

I don't think "send your device directly to Google for repair" is a viable option if your phone is out of warranty.

If I'm remembering correctly, Google wanted something close to $450 to "repair" it. (This was according to an area of their site, perhaps within the Google Fi help area because that's our service provider.)

I spoke with our local (Utah) Ubreakifix location and was very specific in asking them if they could flash the firehose needed to resolve this, and they said no.

utahphunk

Jun 24, 2021
Between randomly losing text messages regardless of app being used (on both my wife's Pixel and and mine) on Google Fi and Google bricking my wife's phone, we're absolutely never buying another Google phone or piece of hardware again.

jancoow

Aug 21, 2018
I tried contacting google support. They are not aware of the issue. And because I'm out of warranty I'm not able to repair it..
Ubreakifix is not available in my country.

Is there any other thing I can do?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
I tried contacting google support. They are not aware of the issue. And because I'm out of warranty I'm not able to repair it..
Ubreakifix is not available in my country.

Is there any other thing I can do?

It seems, at this point, just wait and hope that the firehose becomes available / or one is discovered to work with the pixel 3.

I've read, think it was on reddit, about someone that kept trying to get to fastboot, initially they only saw the screen for a second, but kept trying and eventually it got info fastboot. **if** one was able to do that, they could then flash a factory image.

But, as others have already mentioned, no combination of keys worked for them, so it doesn't sound promising at all really.

cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I have a Pixel 3 that won't turn on, won't charge, won't get into recovery mode, and gets recognized as QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx when connected to a pc. I am an ignorant regarding phones, flashing, etc... Is there any way of getting this phone to work again?

if it doesnt power on then how are you connecting to the pc? i dunno about this but you might need to do some hard troubleshooting. replace the battery and if that doesnt work then you might have a bad motherboard.
    Sorry to necro this thread, but this literally just happened to me over night. Did anyone find any solutions or am I SOL?
    I was SOL. The 4a is nice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    OK, this is really getting weird. My wife's phone just did the exact same thing. I've never seen anything like this so I thought it was an oddball thing, but this thread tells me otherwise. I wonder if the Pixel 3 is just a ticking time bomb or if we all did something to brick them. I know in my case, I just recently (2 weeks ago) replaced her charger with an Anker charger from Amazon. Figured maybe that could be part of the reason. Anyone else have any suspicions as to what might have caused the issue? I'm going to work on trying to bring it back to life or at the very least recover as much information from the device as possible, so if anyone's already working on that, please share with the group!
    Same thing happened to my Pixel 3 this morning. Everything was fine last night, the phone won't turn on or reboot. Power button isn't responsive, Power button + Volume down to get into recovery mode is also not responsive. When I connect my phone to my PC I also get QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx SN:xxxxxxxx.

Stuck in Emergency Download Mode? Anyone has a solution on how to fix this issue?

Anyone has the solution !! Please help :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: !!!​

Well, that 'clever' new approach you refer to is project treble, and by no means is the pixel 3 the only phone using that. Virtually every phone made today uses it, and they aren't experiencing the same issue.

The 'normal' way to exit EDL is the one I mentioned. Works every time I've ever done it. So it not working for this device tells us, something else if F'd up, for sure. I'll have to re-read for the qfil solution, as qfil is not that difficult to get up and working.

But from what others in this thread have experienced, this is a devastating thing to be going wrong. To have your device, completely out of the blue, become completely unusable, that's so wrong it's not even slightly funny.

Doing some additional research, looks like the mmcblk0 image is getting corrupted. I don't see, following the qfil threads / mentions, that there is a firehose specifically available for pixel 3. I have one for sdm845 chip but it's for lgv40 specifically, I believe.

So, it appears, correct me if I'm wrong, that even having the mmcblk0 image (not corrupted of course), there's no way to flash it to the device without the specific firehose?

And, this has happened with other devices, but doesn't look like that many, HTC and another I saw, but also other pixels, including the pixel 2. But I've never heard of it happening with LG v30, 35, 40 (which are my recent devices).

still searching for more info.