• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX] Pixel 3 QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx

Search This thread

nehmia

Nov 24, 2021
Sorry to hear, don't blame u at all being rather pissed, I'm not happy either having a pix 3.

One important thing though, the firehose would give us access in EDL mode, but **if** the problem is failed hardware, then there's nothing that could be done even with the firehose.

That may be why google is approaching this as they are, they may prefer to leave this as a *mystery*, rather than have it be known as hardware failure. Additionally, I"ve read of this now starting to occur with the 4a and the 4.

I'ts a pretty big mess really. I'm personally switching back to my LG preference for daily driver. Last thing I'd like to have happen is to need to make an emergency call or something, and find the device is dead.

cheers
I am certainly playing devils advocate regarding it being a hardware failure. But from what it seems, this is consistent enough to be linked to OTA updates which, when paired to Google's history of poor end-user support, seems to be a form of planned obsolescence. It's the shopping holiday, the Pixel 5 and 6 went on sale at various retailers.... yea. My Pixel 1 also died in the same fashion after 2-3 years. I replaced it with this Pixel 3.

I highly recommend people fill out the class action lawsuit form. I am not emotionally "pissed", I am tired of having to be forced to upgrade every few years due to an OEM in one way or another manipulating me to do so. I am not alone, either. If Apple can support a phone from 2015 with their latest software release, then so can the giant that is Google. Phone sales are not their bread and butter, data collection is. If they want to harvest me like a corn stalk for ad information, then they need to keep me on a phone for ~5 years, no less.

I am not a fan at all off Apple's UX and ecosystem personally, but their customer support is seemingly the defacto standard all others should strive to make their minimum.

degooglified

Nov 25, 2021
It is not related to OTA updates, my Pixel 3 was de-googlified and was running Lineage OS for a year now, and bricked just the same. It is unlikely that it is a hardware failure -- I design this type of hardware for living. It would be trivial to include a piece code which intentionally bricks the phone at some pseudo-random time. That would be consistent with the phones bricking whether in use or idling.... So whoever mentioned planned obsolescence is probably right, but it may be built right into the phone.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
It is not related to OTA updates, my Pixel 3 was de-googlified and was running Lineage OS for a year now, and bricked just the same. It is unlikely that it is a hardware failure -- I design this type of hardware for living. It would be trivial to include a piece code which intentionally bricks the phone at some pseudo-random time. That would be consistent with the phones bricking whether in use or idling.... So whoever mentioned planned obsolescence is probably right, but it may be built right into the phone.

Well your having expertise with hardware like this is helpful. But isn't the ufs hardware very similar to say usb drives we're all familiar with?

And we all know usb drives vary in reliability / quality. Sandisk Extreme drives always score high when compared to some cheapo drives that only last with just a few usages.

of course it could be planned obsolescence, but it seems it could also easily be low quality flash memory. And flash memory *does* fail, with higher and higher r/w usages right?

cheers

vikvikrantverma

Nov 28, 2021
Same thing happened yesterday on my Pixel 3. Only thing changed recently was that major OS update few weeks back. Phone was working normally yesterday, and all of a sudden its dead. None of the steps worked. Device manager shows QUSB_BULK_CID:<id>_SN:<id>. Google is asking us to go to uBreakiFix. What a waste of money and time. Has anyone able to solve this problem?
From my personal experience, Google phones do not seem to have a long life, and Google does nothing about it, even for the known/common problems.
I do not want to trust buying another Pixel phone and go through same crappy experience in an year or two. No choice but to move to iPhone 13. :-(

vikvikrantverma

Nov 28, 2021
I have another P3 running on A12 and I am now scared. Is there a way to downgrade to A11 ? (i didn't like A12 from day 1 and now I have more reasons).
Btw going to uBreakiFix was waste of time. All they did was showed a lot of attitude, and just gave the battery and display repair prices, without even diagnosing the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Happened to my unlocked, vanilla Pixel 3 (ordered 1/20/2019), in EDL mode and non responsive to any button combo, shows in device manager QUSB.

I believe I was at the most recent version of 12, non-beta. Last night, I was in Play Store and updated Messages app to latest, along side a Carrier Update and some others (can not recall). I also uninstalled a selection of apps to free up space. This morning, I woke up to a bricked phone.

I have been on Android 12 for a couple weeks, no issues until today. Curious about the Carrier Update (and/or possibly another one). As much as I am willing to believe this is some major neglect on Google's software... even possibly planned obsolescence, I have a feeling it (great source, I know!) that it may have to do with the flash storage reaching it's limits. Not trying to excuse, just searching for an explanation like us all.

I have the device protection plan with Google Fi. Spoke with their support, the first go around we went through the obvious steps. I even sent a screenshot of the device showing up in device manager, including S/N. When that went no where, the support rep said we could skip the device repair and go straight to replacement. He mentioned that the replacement would be "with whatever they had in stock" and I had some hope of getting a new/refurb 4 or higher. Unfortunately, I got the replacement email and it was for the exact same model Pixel 3, storage and color, refurbished. I contacted support again, and asked to cancel my RMA as I did not want another Pixel 3. I also shared how this issue seems to be common, sent them the Google Issues link, and that Google needs to make the firehose file available to end users to allow them access to their phones stuck in EDL mode. The rep said there was nothing they could do. The RMA cancellation had to be raised to their next tier of support, and that I would be contacted via email by said support. Still awaiting that email as of this post. I will also broach the topic of making the firehose available to end users.

I starred the issues tracker, since no more comments can be entered.

I also filled out the class lawsuit form, any pressure is good so long as it ends in Google releasing these firehose files. Arbiration opt-out be damned, if it takes hold that will likely not have much weight in the matter (IANAL).
    Sorry to hear, don't blame u at all being rather pissed, I'm not happy either having a pix 3.

One important thing though, the firehose would give us access in EDL mode, but **if** the problem is failed hardware, then there's nothing that could be done even with the firehose.

That may be why google is approaching this as they are, they may prefer to leave this as a *mystery*, rather than have it be known as hardware failure. Additionally, I"ve read of this now starting to occur with the 4a and the 4.

I'ts a pretty big mess really. I'm personally switching back to my LG preference for daily driver. Last thing I'd like to have happen is to need to make an emergency call or something, and find the device is dead.

cheers
    Just out of curiosity, is it possible for developers to dig thru the Pixel source code to see if Google is planting some sort of malicious code to brick Pixel phones? This is happening to far too many owners and Google isn't even addressing this issue.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I feel safer using custom ROM's knowing I'm not using Google's bugged firmware.

I doubt google would put anything in the source, even if they wanted to do as u imagine. If it were true (which I don't believe), they'd use the OTA to do something it shouldn't, rather than have it be found in source.

I'd bet it's something in the ota process, that is inadvertently doing something like overwriting the gpt table, or corrupting some other part of the boot process.

Just as an fyi, I don't do ota's. I download the zip and flash it with the flashall.sh script. I won't do an ota. Maybe it's crazy, but it's out of an abundance of caution.

cheers
    Happened to my unlocked, vanilla Pixel 3 (ordered 1/20/2019), in EDL mode and non responsive to any button combo, shows in device manager QUSB.

I believe I was at the most recent version of 12, non-beta. Last night, I was in Play Store and updated Messages app to latest, along side a Carrier Update and some others (can not recall). I also uninstalled a selection of apps to free up space. This morning, I woke up to a bricked phone.

I have been on Android 12 for a couple weeks, no issues until today. Curious about the Carrier Update (and/or possibly another one). As much as I am willing to believe this is some major neglect on Google's software... even possibly planned obsolescence, I have a feeling it (great source, I know!) that it may have to do with the flash storage reaching it's limits. Not trying to excuse, just searching for an explanation like us all.

I have the device protection plan with Google Fi. Spoke with their support, the first go around we went through the obvious steps. I even sent a screenshot of the device showing up in device manager, including S/N. When that went no where, the support rep said we could skip the device repair and go straight to replacement. He mentioned that the replacement would be "with whatever they had in stock" and I had some hope of getting a new/refurb 4 or higher. Unfortunately, I got the replacement email and it was for the exact same model Pixel 3, storage and color, refurbished. I contacted support again, and asked to cancel my RMA as I did not want another Pixel 3. I also shared how this issue seems to be common, sent them the Google Issues link, and that Google needs to make the firehose file available to end users to allow them access to their phones stuck in EDL mode. The rep said there was nothing they could do. The RMA cancellation had to be raised to their next tier of support, and that I would be contacted via email by said support. Still awaiting that email as of this post. I will also broach the topic of making the firehose available to end users.

I starred the issues tracker, since no more comments can be entered.

I also filled out the class lawsuit form, any pressure is good so long as it ends in Google releasing these firehose files. Arbiration opt-out be damned, if it takes hold that will likely not have much weight in the matter (IANAL).

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...

So maybe this is a little info to help understand the situation better.

When a phone is in EDL (Emergency Download Mode), the screen is always completely blank. And the only way you know it's in edl mode is (as has been mentioned) when it's usb connected and in device manager you'll see the (as title mentions) QUSB_BULK etc.

So, what this means is 1) the phone isn't completely dead 2) but the only way you can access the phone is with qualcomm qfil type software, which talks to a qualcomm device that's in edl mode.

Normally, edl mode happens on purpose, meaning you intentionally press the appropriate keys to put the device in that mode. But in this case, it's happening because there's (more than likely) something wrong with the bootloader, and it's going into edl mode by itself (it can't do anything else). But, it is telling that the1dynasty actually had his bootup once, surprisingly, that seems to suggest it's hw related (where heat etc can sometimes affect it's working or not).

Just to clarify, I've no idea if there is a solution, but IT IS NOT a problem with the screen, a blank screen in edl mode is EXACTLY the way it's suppose to behave (in that mode). And replacing the screen will be very expensive and will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem (as has been pointed out by at least one person already).

I've had an LGV40 and for it, we have a file called a 'firehose'. That's a very specific file that allows you, while in edl mode, to modify the device (and that's why I know about edl mode). You basically have complete control of the device, i.e. you can change any partition. Unfortunately, the needed firehose file is 'device specific', and there isn't one for the pixel 3 (or any pixel afaik).

So, just to reiterate what the1dynasty is saying, it's NOT the screen! Don't let anyone tell you it is. I wish I knew what would fix it, at this point it's sounding hw related, but we may never know for sure.

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...
    Sorry to necro this thread, but this literally just happened to me over night. Did anyone find any solutions or am I SOL?
    I was SOL. The 4a is nice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    OK, this is really getting weird. My wife's phone just did the exact same thing. I've never seen anything like this so I thought it was an oddball thing, but this thread tells me otherwise. I wonder if the Pixel 3 is just a ticking time bomb or if we all did something to brick them. I know in my case, I just recently (2 weeks ago) replaced her charger with an Anker charger from Amazon. Figured maybe that could be part of the reason. Anyone else have any suspicions as to what might have caused the issue? I'm going to work on trying to bring it back to life or at the very least recover as much information from the device as possible, so if anyone's already working on that, please share with the group!