• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[FIX] Pixel 3 QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx

Search This thread

nehmia

Nov 24, 2021
Sorry to hear, don't blame u at all being rather pissed, I'm not happy either having a pix 3.

One important thing though, the firehose would give us access in EDL mode, but **if** the problem is failed hardware, then there's nothing that could be done even with the firehose.

That may be why google is approaching this as they are, they may prefer to leave this as a *mystery*, rather than have it be known as hardware failure. Additionally, I"ve read of this now starting to occur with the 4a and the 4.

I'ts a pretty big mess really. I'm personally switching back to my LG preference for daily driver. Last thing I'd like to have happen is to need to make an emergency call or something, and find the device is dead.

cheers
I am certainly playing devils advocate regarding it being a hardware failure. But from what it seems, this is consistent enough to be linked to OTA updates which, when paired to Google's history of poor end-user support, seems to be a form of planned obsolescence. It's the shopping holiday, the Pixel 5 and 6 went on sale at various retailers.... yea. My Pixel 1 also died in the same fashion after 2-3 years. I replaced it with this Pixel 3.

I highly recommend people fill out the class action lawsuit form. I am not emotionally "pissed", I am tired of having to be forced to upgrade every few years due to an OEM in one way or another manipulating me to do so. I am not alone, either. If Apple can support a phone from 2015 with their latest software release, then so can the giant that is Google. Phone sales are not their bread and butter, data collection is. If they want to harvest me like a corn stalk for ad information, then they need to keep me on a phone for ~5 years, no less.

I am not a fan at all off Apple's UX and ecosystem personally, but their customer support is seemingly the defacto standard all others should strive to make their minimum.

degooglified

Nov 25, 2021
It is not related to OTA updates, my Pixel 3 was de-googlified and was running Lineage OS for a year now, and bricked just the same. It is unlikely that it is a hardware failure -- I design this type of hardware for living. It would be trivial to include a piece code which intentionally bricks the phone at some pseudo-random time. That would be consistent with the phones bricking whether in use or idling.... So whoever mentioned planned obsolescence is probably right, but it may be built right into the phone.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
It is not related to OTA updates, my Pixel 3 was de-googlified and was running Lineage OS for a year now, and bricked just the same. It is unlikely that it is a hardware failure -- I design this type of hardware for living. It would be trivial to include a piece code which intentionally bricks the phone at some pseudo-random time. That would be consistent with the phones bricking whether in use or idling.... So whoever mentioned planned obsolescence is probably right, but it may be built right into the phone.

Well your having expertise with hardware like this is helpful. But isn't the ufs hardware very similar to say usb drives we're all familiar with?

And we all know usb drives vary in reliability / quality. Sandisk Extreme drives always score high when compared to some cheapo drives that only last with just a few usages.

of course it could be planned obsolescence, but it seems it could also easily be low quality flash memory. And flash memory *does* fail, with higher and higher r/w usages right?

cheers

vikvikrantverma

Nov 28, 2021
Same thing happened yesterday on my Pixel 3. Only thing changed recently was that major OS update few weeks back. Phone was working normally yesterday, and all of a sudden its dead. None of the steps worked. Device manager shows QUSB_BULK_CID:<id>_SN:<id>. Google is asking us to go to uBreakiFix. What a waste of money and time. Has anyone able to solve this problem?
From my personal experience, Google phones do not seem to have a long life, and Google does nothing about it, even for the known/common problems.
I do not want to trust buying another Pixel phone and go through same crappy experience in an year or two. No choice but to move to iPhone 13. :-(

vikvikrantverma

Nov 28, 2021
I have another P3 running on A12 and I am now scared. Is there a way to downgrade to A11 ? (i didn't like A12 from day 1 and now I have more reasons).
Btw going to uBreakiFix was waste of time. All they did was showed a lot of attitude, and just gave the battery and display repair prices, without even diagnosing the phone.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have another P3 running on A12 and I am now scared. Is there a way to downgrade to A11 ? (i didn't like A12 from day 1 and now I have more reasons).
Btw going to uBreakiFix was waste of time. All they did was showed a lot of attitude, and just gave the battery and display repair prices, without even diagnosing the phone.
If your bootloader is locked - no.

If your bootloader is unlocked, you can either flash the factory A11 release via ADB, or you can use Android Flash Tool. In either case, make sure you wipe /data; downgrading without a data wipe will cause corruption and crashing.

For those of you trying to recover your devices from this issue, I would suggest using the Pixel Repair Tool, although I'm not sure if this works outside of Rescue Mode.

Edit: fixing this requires proprietary software, see post 152

Last edited:

mrtumnus

Apr 24, 2014
Joining the unfortunate club here, as of yesterday. I had the Android 12 OTA update for about 3 days on my Pixel 3 before this happened. I wish I had stumbled across this thread first.

Why is this thread marked [FIX] when there is no solution yet?

mrtumnus

Apr 24, 2014
Just to be clear: devices that exhibit this are practically unusable, nothing appears on the screen, the only indication of life is the QUSB device appearing when it's connected to a PC?
Correct; that's the only way I was able to diagnose the issue and find this thread.

EDIT: I can also press & hold Power + Vol Down and it will do some sort of power cycle or mode change where the device goes away and comes back in Windows 10 Device Manager. But nothing whatsoever shows on the screen, let alone getting into recovery mode.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Seems like the issue is pretty common. Maybe try letting the battery die completely? When it's plugged into the computer and appears as a USB device, unplug it and let it discharge until it dies; of course, there's no way of telling when it actually does, so give it a few days.

The actual fix for this requires the Qualcomm Product Support Tool (QPST); you'd also need the NAND binary image to rewrite the memory devices at the hardware level. Unfortunately neither of these are freely available.

Last edited:

SupaStevo

Dec 14, 2021
My girlfriend's Pixel 3 joined the brick club while she was at work today. Same symptoms, same QUSB thing in Device Manager. We actually both have 3's that we purchased together in early 2019, so I am now very worried about my own phone.

Both our phones were completely stock, no custom OS or anything like that, and they're well-maintained with screen protectors and cases. My phone has been on Android 12 for a few weeks now and, aside from the awful amount of bugs, it has been going just fine. Hers was still on 11 because she didn't want to deal with all of 12's bugs.

We were hoping to hold out for the 6A but now I'm seriously doubting whether we'll stay in the Pixel family.

interface35

Dec 15, 2021
Pixel 3, on Android 12. Just listened a 2.5 hour podcast, still had plenty of battery. Pulled the USB-C earbuds that came with in the box from the phone and then it turned into a paperweight.

Same USB messages as detailed in this thread is all I can get.

sportynyc

Mar 22, 2015
Just happened to my Pixel 3 yesterday. It was purchased new from Google just 2.5 years ago. Had problems with every Google phone I've owned from 5x, 1, 2 and now 3. This may be my last Google phone. None of them have lasted more than 3 years with the 5x not even lasting 1 before the boot loop.

Dec 18, 2021
hey guys, count me in for the same issue, my pixel 3xl ( bought in jan 2019 )died friday morning, I was scrolling tiktok till 2 am had 35% battery left, went to sleep to find dead phone upon waking up, I thought I might have drained the battery so I plugged it in but no response on screen, left it to charge for last whole day and night, today I plugged it in my windows pc and saw Qusb device detected in device manager, googled that and stumbled upon this post to discover I'm not the only one. contacted google support they said since the phone is outside warranty they can't do anything, and asked me to take it to their "repair partner", which I'm going to do on coming monday. I'm only afraid of lossing my data cause as a noob oversmart ignorant crypto investor I saved all my recovery seed phrase and authenticator keys in my phone's internal memory (not even on cloud). Is there anyway I can recover that data before I make the "repair partner" visit? I downloaded qpst from this thread but its not detecting my phone. cause if I lose that data I might endup loosing a hell lot more. :( :'(

p.s. as a last resort I'm thinking of opening up my phone's back cover just to disconnect and reconnect the battery with the hopes it starts working again, has anyone tried this? ( cause 2 yrs ago I tried this on my lenovo zx2 when it was showing similar symptoms was able to revive the phone again but ended up breaking power button cable, got frustrated and bought this stupid pixel 3xl )

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
hey guys, count me in for the same issue, my pixel 3xl ( bought in jan 2019 )died friday morning, I was scrolling tiktok till 2 am had 35% battery left, went to sleep to find dead phone upon waking up, I thought I might have drained the battery so I plugged it in but no response on screen, left it to charge for last whole day and night, today I plugged it in my windows pc and saw Qusb device detected in device manager, googled that and stumbled upon this post to discover I'm not the only one. contacted google support they said since the phone is outside warranty they can't do anything, and asked me to take it to their "repair partner", which I'm going to do on coming monday. I'm only afraid of lossing my data cause as a noob oversmart ignorant crypto investor I saved all my recovery seed phrase and authenticator keys in my phone's internal memory (not even on cloud). Is there anyway I can recover that data before I make the "repair partner" visit? I downloaded qpst from this thread but its not detecting my phone. cause if I lose that data I might endup loosing a hell lot more. :( :'(

p.s. as a last resort I'm thinking of opening up my phone's back cover just to disconnect and reconnect the battery with the hopes it starts working again, has anyone tried this? ( cause 2 yrs ago I tried this on my lenovo zx2 when it was showing similar symptoms was able to revive the phone again but ended up breaking power button cable, got frustrated and bought this stupid pixel 3xl )

Wow. Afraid to tell you, but I don't think there's anything the repair shop can do. You might want to ask them, before going, if they have the google programmer firehose for the specific device, and they'll probably respond with 'they have no idea what you're talking about'.

And that's really the problem in a nutshell. Without that firehose, there's no way to access the device. And even with it, the flashdrive may be corrupted and even qfil wouldn't be able to access it (due to the corruption - my bet is that's why it's in edl mode now - it can't read the boot info).

Maybe explain the significance of getting access (to device) to google might help, kind of doubt it though, sadly.

good luck

dishe2

Dec 2, 2020
If your bootloader is locked - no.

If your bootloader is unlocked, you can either flash the factory A11 release via ADB, or you can use Android Flash Tool. In either case, make sure you wipe /data; downgrading without a data wipe will cause corruption and crashing.

For those of you trying to recover your devices from this issue, I would suggest using the Pixel Repair Tool, although I'm not sure if this works outside of Rescue Mode.
So hang on, I just ordered a P3XL for my daughter to use and heard about this issue after ordering it. I purposely got the Google edition to unlock the bootloader so that we can use custom roms after Google's final update.

This bug is scaring me and I'm thinking about sending the phone back as soon as we get it, but if the bootloader is unlocked can it be recovered with a custom rom? Like, is this only a problem for those with locked bootloaders?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So hang on, I just ordered a P3XL for my daughter to use and heard about this issue after ordering it. I purposely got the Google edition to unlock the bootloader so that we can use custom roms after Google's final update.

This bug is scaring me and I'm thinking about sending the phone back as soon as we get it, but if the bootloader is unlocked can it be recovered with a custom rom? Like, is this only a problem for those with locked bootloaders?
No, there's not really any clear cause, and it seems to affect everyone. The problem itself is more or less the bootloader becoming corrupted, and the device getting stuck in a hardware level rescue mode similar to JTAG. Since the bootloader doesn't start, it can't load a boot image, so a custom ROM makes absolutely no difference. The best thing I can recommend is make sure you flash the latest factory image.

The only way to recover a device stuck in this mode is with proprietary software called the Qualcomm Product Support Tool, which is not publicly available; neither are the binary files that would be needed to re-image the memory devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There was apparently a software fix in one of the updates so if you make sure it's on the latest firmware you should be fine.

I question that there has been any fix. I have a bone stock (developer options enabled) 3xl which I bought new from google. Woke up yesterday January 3rd used phone for an hour, set it on my desk and 15 minutes later was DOA, stuck in EDL mode. I was on android 12 with the latest updates available.
    Happened to my unlocked, vanilla Pixel 3 (ordered 1/20/2019), in EDL mode and non responsive to any button combo, shows in device manager QUSB.

I believe I was at the most recent version of 12, non-beta. Last night, I was in Play Store and updated Messages app to latest, along side a Carrier Update and some others (can not recall). I also uninstalled a selection of apps to free up space. This morning, I woke up to a bricked phone.

I have been on Android 12 for a couple weeks, no issues until today. Curious about the Carrier Update (and/or possibly another one). As much as I am willing to believe this is some major neglect on Google's software... even possibly planned obsolescence, I have a feeling it (great source, I know!) that it may have to do with the flash storage reaching it's limits. Not trying to excuse, just searching for an explanation like us all.

I have the device protection plan with Google Fi. Spoke with their support, the first go around we went through the obvious steps. I even sent a screenshot of the device showing up in device manager, including S/N. When that went no where, the support rep said we could skip the device repair and go straight to replacement. He mentioned that the replacement would be "with whatever they had in stock" and I had some hope of getting a new/refurb 4 or higher. Unfortunately, I got the replacement email and it was for the exact same model Pixel 3, storage and color, refurbished. I contacted support again, and asked to cancel my RMA as I did not want another Pixel 3. I also shared how this issue seems to be common, sent them the Google Issues link, and that Google needs to make the firehose file available to end users to allow them access to their phones stuck in EDL mode. The rep said there was nothing they could do. The RMA cancellation had to be raised to their next tier of support, and that I would be contacted via email by said support. Still awaiting that email as of this post. I will also broach the topic of making the firehose available to end users.

I starred the issues tracker, since no more comments can be entered.

I also filled out the class lawsuit form, any pressure is good so long as it ends in Google releasing these firehose files. Arbiration opt-out be damned, if it takes hold that will likely not have much weight in the matter (IANAL).
    Sorry to hear, don't blame u at all being rather pissed, I'm not happy either having a pix 3.

One important thing though, the firehose would give us access in EDL mode, but **if** the problem is failed hardware, then there's nothing that could be done even with the firehose.

That may be why google is approaching this as they are, they may prefer to leave this as a *mystery*, rather than have it be known as hardware failure. Additionally, I"ve read of this now starting to occur with the 4a and the 4.

I'ts a pretty big mess really. I'm personally switching back to my LG preference for daily driver. Last thing I'd like to have happen is to need to make an emergency call or something, and find the device is dead.

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...

So maybe this is a little info to help understand the situation better.

When a phone is in EDL (Emergency Download Mode), the screen is always completely blank. And the only way you know it's in edl mode is (as has been mentioned) when it's usb connected and in device manager you'll see the (as title mentions) QUSB_BULK etc.

So, what this means is 1) the phone isn't completely dead 2) but the only way you can access the phone is with qualcomm qfil type software, which talks to a qualcomm device that's in edl mode.

Normally, edl mode happens on purpose, meaning you intentionally press the appropriate keys to put the device in that mode. But in this case, it's happening because there's (more than likely) something wrong with the bootloader, and it's going into edl mode by itself (it can't do anything else). But, it is telling that the1dynasty actually had his bootup once, surprisingly, that seems to suggest it's hw related (where heat etc can sometimes affect it's working or not).

Just to clarify, I've no idea if there is a solution, but IT IS NOT a problem with the screen, a blank screen in edl mode is EXACTLY the way it's suppose to behave (in that mode). And replacing the screen will be very expensive and will do absolutely nothing to fix the problem (as has been pointed out by at least one person already).

I've had an LGV40 and for it, we have a file called a 'firehose'. That's a very specific file that allows you, while in edl mode, to modify the device (and that's why I know about edl mode). You basically have complete control of the device, i.e. you can change any partition. Unfortunately, the needed firehose file is 'device specific', and there isn't one for the pixel 3 (or any pixel afaik).

So, just to reiterate what the1dynasty is saying, it's NOT the screen! Don't let anyone tell you it is. I wish I knew what would fix it, at this point it's sounding hw related, but we may never know for sure.

cheers
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...
    Sorry to necro this thread, but this literally just happened to me over night. Did anyone find any solutions or am I SOL?
    I was SOL. The 4a is nice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There was apparently a software fix in one of the updates so if you make sure it's on the latest firmware you should be fine.

I question that there has been any fix. I have a bone stock (developer options enabled) 3xl which I bought new from google. Woke up yesterday January 3rd used phone for an hour, set it on my desk and 15 minutes later was DOA, stuck in EDL mode. I was on android 12 with the latest updates available.