[FIX] Pixel 3 QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx

Search This thread

theassailant

May 29, 2022
Made an account to post here. Had the QUSB_BULK issue happen to my OG Pixel XL a while back. Guess we never got a fix for that.

Noticed a week ago my battery was bulging and lifting the back glass on my 3 XL. Ordered a replacement battery and successfully swapped it. Everything looked fine when powered back on, no issues, fingerprint reader worked. Not my first phone repair rodeo. Set it to charge in order to calibrate. Next thing I know the entire screen is a deep red and not responding. Power cycled and nothing. Set up some devices to drain the battery and recharge, nothing.

PC recognizes it as a Pixel 3 XL, and stupidly I pressed the power button multiple times seeing if maybe it was just stuck and had an awkward call with a 911 operator. So clearly the phone works, no idea why the screen would just randomly go though.

Not even sure if this is related to the thread issue at all but it seems the Pixel was downloading something of multiple gigabytes in the background while charging, Google Wifi tells me that much.

Shame because I was hoping to pass it onto my uncle who needs a new phone but doesnt want to spend money on one. Figured a $1000 phone from a couple years ago would work fine, guess not. Feeling even more justified in recently giving up on Google products.

ernoor

May 29, 2022
This problem has happend to my pixel 3 this morning. I am disappointed that there is no solution for that. My phone was a good condition.

I am surprized with number of affected phones that I have read about in this thread alone.

justinCOYG

May 29, 2022
Такая же проблема случилась вчера с моим пикселем 3xl. Ребят, неужели нет решения этой проблемы?

ajb_uk

Dec 26, 2017
Sadly I need to add my voice to the list of affected phones. Perfect condition Pixel 3, owned from new. Only issue had ever been a glitchy power button at one point (fixed with compressed air).

Went to sleep with the phone on charge, checked the time overnight and it was fine, woke up to it being dead and in EDL mode.

PierreDunn

May 17, 2022
Такая же проблема случилась вчера с моим пикселем 3xl. Ребят, неужели нет решения этой проблемы?
Чел, у меня на P4 такая же трабла. Как мне сказали, чтобы как-то оживить телефон нужно снимать память и перепрошивать. Проблема в том, что программатор для пикселей последний раз видели в 17м году и то на первые 2.

kaurimon

Jun 7, 2022
Same story as previous users. Owned the phone for over 3 years without a single issue. Never dropped, always in a case. Set the alarm in the evening and put it to charge. In the morning (today) phone dead, does not respond to anything and shows the same name (QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxx_SN:xxxxxxxx) when connecting to a PC.

sseulgi

Jul 1, 2022
Welp, my loved 3XL finally bit the dust. I tried it pretty much all now and I don't even get a QUSB_BULK anymore. Off to a OnePlus, I guess. I'm sorry for the imminent rant; it's the third time something like this happens to a Google Phone of mine, first my 5X, then my OG Pixel, and now the 3XL. Google really needs to release a tool to fix our phones or just make them reliable past two years. smh

Hope you guys find a solution.

Cheers.

dzuck89

Aug 31, 2010
Is there any fix to this? Woke up with what I think is this issue today - thread says [FIX] but I can't find any info on what the fix is...

khorne01

Jul 5, 2010
Another casualty here. This morning battery was around 16%. Trip to work (less 30 minuts) and the phone is dead. Plug into PC and get the QUSB_BULK... device.
I hope firehose is released at some point... but now looking into getting a Pixel 5 or maybe wait til 6a available....

ccomtruise

Oct 5, 2012
My Pixel 3xl just fell victim. Took a nap, when I looked at the phone, bricked. Found this thread and checked in device manager and it is listing QUSB_BULK.

The response from Google is disgusting. If they really leave us all out to dry, I won't be buying another Google phone. The phone was great, and seemed so dependable. Such a waste to have it fail like this.

white stormy

Feb 23, 2008
same boat with my dad's phone. he's more pissed about loosing all the pictures and videos he had on it. never had sync turned on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Adding to the long list as well here.
    A couple of weeks ago I woke up to find my Pixel 3 dead, which was shocking since it was working completely fine the night before. Befor stumbling onto this page today, I had taken it to a phone repair shop which said that everything they tested seemed to be working ok (the battery, the screen, the charging port..). They suggested replacing the motherboard and I have since been browsing online for one.
    I have already upgraded to the Pixel 6a but would love to get my pixel 3 back up and running.
    Has the fix been found?
    Not that I've found unfortunately...

One or two people in this thread said that they tried testing their Pixel 3's after it sat there for 1 year and they managed to get it working before it bricks itself again.

Someone also said that they tried pulling the battery and it did nothing for them. Makes me wonder if they pulled the battery and let it sit there for a while without a battery, would it make that battery discharge solution any quicker ?
    (Presuming that some capacitors or maybe a smaller battery inside the phone is holding charge despite the battery itself being disconnected / replaced - unlikely but it doesn't explain why replacing the battery doesn't fix it)

Since Jan I've been periodically checking my P3 every few weeks. A few weeks ago the whole "QUSB_BULK_CID:xxxxx etc" disappeared from my Device Manager and it got replaced with a "Qualcomm Device", but it's still not charging nor booting up.

I've just switched to a new phone and might just try the P3 in a year or so to see if I get lucky like the others.....
    This issue happened to me a couple days ago, and I came across this thread. I happen to work at Google, so I spoke to some Pixel engineers.

They ran some debugging tool and one of them has actually seen this exact issue before. It's a failure in the flash memory chip. They sent a device just like mine to Micron, a couple months ago, and the result was that the UFS is failing to initialise, likely due to having exhausted its natural lifetime of write cycles. The phone gets stuck in QDL mode because it's waiting for a broken chip to give a "wake" signal that will never come. So they can't even firehose it out if they wanted because the device simply cannot read anymore.

Only Micron would have the tools to pull the data, but even if they did, it's encrypted with the PIN number PLUS the secret key in the Titan security chip, the latter of which can't be extracted. So RIP in peace.

Phone flash memory chips are cheap because manufacturers expect you to replace device every 2-3 years and only lightly use storage. A high quality microSD card has much better write endurance. Alternatively, the less storage you use, the more free space is available to take hits and avoid total catastrophic failure. All drives actually hide some space from you in anticipation of blocks wearing out (kind of like EV batteries) - but setting a limit for yourself will give you a bigger runway, and also force you to improve backup discipline.
    Hi everyone.

I signed up for this forum just to tell you not to lose hope. Don't throw out/sell/recycle a bricked phone with your valuable data- here's my story:

I left my Pixel 3 plugged in to a charger overnight back in Dec 2021, and when I picked it up the next morning it was powered off, had a black screen and was totally unresponsive to touches or the side buttons. Connecting it to my laptop I could see it was being reported as USB ID 05c6:9008 Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode).

I couldn't connect to it with adb, access the bootloader, or get anything to appear on screen. I lost three weeks of irreplaceable photos of my 3-month-old baby that weren't backed up, among other things. I spent hours searching in vain for a solution, and marinated in anger for a full month before ordering a new phone and doing my best to move on.

Tonight; a year and a day later, I randomly pulled out the Pixel 3 and plugged it into a charger. It was at 0% battery and flashed an indication of that on the screen. I tried to turn it on and it flashed the 0% indication again. After about 30 seconds I tried to turn it on again. This time I got the colorful google logo and then about 15 seconds later a progress bar below the logo, and then the phone just booted normally like nothing had ever happened. WHAT!?!

All my photos were there and I began pulling stuff off with adb as fast as I could. Today it is identified as USB ID 18d1:4ee7 Google Inc.

I'm overjoyed and so relieved as I never thought I would recover my photos and data.

I have no idea if it will continue working, and in any case my trust in the device is shattered but I'm here sharing my happy ending as a data point for you all deciding what to do. Unfortunately I don't have any actionable advice other to than let it sit for a year.
    My phone bricked almost exactly 1 year ago. Plugged it in New Years Eve night, woke up the next morning to a dead phone. My search for a fix brought me here, I bookmarked and checked back in every few months to see if there was any progress.

This post sparked my interest so I went ahead and plugged in my Pixel 3 this morning, not really expecting anything. Lo and behold I got the charging pic along with a 0% I let it sit for awhile until it got to about 75%. I held in the power button and the Google spun up and a minute later my phone was back. Like above a ran to my computer and copied everything over. I got it all and an hour later the phone is still up and running.

So there is hope!! I suggest everyone give it one last try. It's been about 6 months since the last time I tried. I don't know what was different today, but it worked.
    Happened to my unlocked, vanilla Pixel 3 (ordered 1/20/2019), in EDL mode and non responsive to any button combo, shows in device manager QUSB.

I believe I was at the most recent version of 12, non-beta. Last night, I was in Play Store and updated Messages app to latest, along side a Carrier Update and some others (can not recall). I also uninstalled a selection of apps to free up space. This morning, I woke up to a bricked phone.

I have been on Android 12 for a couple weeks, no issues until today. Curious about the Carrier Update (and/or possibly another one). As much as I am willing to believe this is some major neglect on Google's software... even possibly planned obsolescence, I have a feeling it (great source, I know!) that it may have to do with the flash storage reaching it's limits. Not trying to excuse, just searching for an explanation like us all.

I have the device protection plan with Google Fi. Spoke with their support, the first go around we went through the obvious steps. I even sent a screenshot of the device showing up in device manager, including S/N. When that went no where, the support rep said we could skip the device repair and go straight to replacement. He mentioned that the replacement would be "with whatever they had in stock" and I had some hope of getting a new/refurb 4 or higher. Unfortunately, I got the replacement email and it was for the exact same model Pixel 3, storage and color, refurbished. I contacted support again, and asked to cancel my RMA as I did not want another Pixel 3. I also shared how this issue seems to be common, sent them the Google Issues link, and that Google needs to make the firehose file available to end users to allow them access to their phones stuck in EDL mode. The rep said there was nothing they could do. The RMA cancellation had to be raised to their next tier of support, and that I would be contacted via email by said support. Still awaiting that email as of this post. I will also broach the topic of making the firehose available to end users.

I starred the issues tracker, since no more comments can be entered.

I also filled out the class lawsuit form, any pressure is good so long as it ends in Google releasing these firehose files. Arbiration opt-out be damned, if it takes hold that will likely not have much weight in the matter (IANAL).
    Sorry to hear, don't blame u at all being rather pissed, I'm not happy either having a pix 3.

One important thing though, the firehose would give us access in EDL mode, but **if** the problem is failed hardware, then there's nothing that could be done even with the firehose.

That may be why google is approaching this as they are, they may prefer to leave this as a *mystery*, rather than have it be known as hardware failure. Additionally, I"ve read of this now starting to occur with the 4a and the 4.

I'ts a pretty big mess really. I'm personally switching back to my LG preference for daily driver. Last thing I'd like to have happen is to need to make an emergency call or something, and find the device is dead.

cheers
    Sorry to necro this thread, but this literally just happened to me over night. Did anyone find any solutions or am I SOL?
    I was SOL. The 4a is nice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    This happened to my gf's 100% stock, Google Store bought, bootloader locked, Pixel 3XL in January. Unfortunately I searched and searched and found nothing else for the Pixels. Plenty of info on LG phones and I think even OnePlus but nothing to help my case specifically. I tried many random attempts at ADB and Fastboot commands... Nothing seemed to work and I set the phone down for a couple months...

Then one random day in March I decided to plug the phone in to charge, by this time she was using my Pixel 3 because I bought the Pixel 5... The phone decided to turn on and show the Google logo and it actually booted up!!! So after thinking the display was busted somehow, it turned on long enough for me to factory reset the phone... As the phone was booting back up, the loading bar under the Google logo was moving for a couple of mins, then the screen went blank and I haven't been able to get it to turn on since March...

I thought that if I left it alone and drained the battery all the way down like I did the first time, that it would turn on again once I plugged it in... Still no luck and I'm not giving up on this phone...

So if someone finds out how to get this thing working, I can get it booted back up and maybe sell it or trade it in for the Pixel 6 in a couple of months... Thanks for the thread! Gives me hope that someone will eventually find a fix for this...

In case anyone missed it because I read this entire thread, the display is certainly not busted, don't waste your time with Google telling you to replace the display...