[FIX] Random reboots/shutdowns. Pictures added!

Search This thread

ashu01

Apr 16, 2012
Chandigarh
They should replace it as long as it is under warranty. You will most likely get a refurbished model though.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

workers on their service center told me that they have the policy of phone replacement only for 15 days started from customer buys it....
they said if its motherboard fault they will replace the motherboard and not replace the phone....
i didnt talked to htc customer care yet.... i hope they will replace my phone.... otherwise i have to file a case in court against them because its really annoying you spent money for your phone and you are getting this sh*t.....

mo0klin

Oct 23, 2009
This is the most frustrating problem that I have ever encountered with one of my phones. My Sensation randomly shuts down and will not boot into the OS until I plug it in, at which point it turns on and shows that there is a lot of battery left. I've tried the business card in the battery, the foil over the ground pin, the battery fix zip flash and numerous different ROMs and wipes. Given that my phone is about 2 weeks out of warranty, it seems that I'm going to have to write it off and buy something new. :(

I'm having the same problem.. as long as the cable's in, it won't shut down. But 10 minutes of active usage without it and it crashes. Tried several ROMs.. pulling out the battery for a while and putting it back in works for about 2 minutes.

kushXmaster

Nov 26, 2010
Stockton (cali)
I'm having the same problem.. as long as the cable's in, it won't shut down. But 10 minutes of active usage without it and it crashes. Tried several ROMs.. pulling out the battery for a while and putting it back in works for about 2 minutes.

Same problem I had at first. This fix worked for me though.

Swiftly sent from my Sensation via XDA premium

StuartTheFish

Nov 9, 2011
Not sure how the ground-pin thing works?

You pull it out a bit so that it makes a better connection with the battery cover. I actually put I staple behind mine to make it stick out a little permanently. It works because the shutdowns for me at least happened most in poor reception areas. That earth pin is to do with the antennas in the battery cover, and when changing between GSM and wcdma is when the shutdown happens normally. You could also try dialing *#*#4636#*#* and setting it to wcdma only, so then it can't keep switching over in poor reception areas.

mudhi

Jul 7, 2010
Taiwan
Never happens when using bricked kernel < v1.31, but always happens on v1.4, I thought it was kernel issue, after I found this thread, I just clean the battery contacts with alcohol and was fixed.

brandall

May 16, 2008
Birmingham
After delving into last kernel messages, under-voting, under-clocking, cleaning my battery connections, trying every kernel and radio combo out there, it appears that a little piece of cardboard was indeed the solution for me...!

I thank you for daring to share this, rescuing my Sensation, saving me cash and frustration! Thanks +1

Sent via xda premium

kushXmaster

Nov 26, 2010
Stockton (cali)
After delving into last kernel messages, under-voting, under-clocking, cleaning my battery connections, trying every kernel and radio combo out there, it appears that a little piece of cardboard was indeed the solution for me...!

I thank you for daring to share this, rescuing my Sensation, saving me cash and frustration! Thanks +1

Sent via xda premium

No problem. I almost threw my phone through a couple of walls a while back ;)

Swiftly sent from my Sensation via XDA premium

Reactions: brandall

prgab

Oct 10, 2009
Budapest
A bought my Sensation in 2011 November (locked for T-mobile) and made it S-OFF and unlock it in January 2012. I was facing similar problems that are described here started in April when my Sensation started restarting randomly. Then it was shutting down unexpectedly more and more often. (once a week, twice a week, ... finally I was able to keep my phone alive only for few minutes!)
I flashed a new ROM with a new firmware and my phone was working perfectly, but only for couple weeks... However I was skeptic I tried a business card solution that time, but did not helped. Tried using only WCDMA network as described in some topics and basically all the options available on forums, but nothing helped.

I started to worry, that I will need to pay for motherboard replacement as my warranty was gone already (S-OFF), but I gave to my phone a last chance and gave it another data wipe a new firmware with new ROM again. Everything was good for only couple weeks again...
But then I read this thread again and put an alu foil as shown by Shreyas Jani and pulled the ground pin as described by StuartTheFish. I still do not understand what happened, but my phone is working perfectly more than a month now, without restarts and shut downs. I do not know which solution helped (not sure if I placed a business card correctly before). But I do not want to experiment with this anymore. I did not even removed a battery cover since that time and I'm glad it is all working now.

Thank you kushXmaster, StuartTheFish, Shreyas Jani!

Last edited:
Reactions: StuartTheFish

Tungst5n

Aug 11, 2010
Would this apply also to random reboots in situations in which the ROM simply just does restart and doesn't completely shut down ?

Sent from my Sensation using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So since this issue has been giving me quite a bit of frustration, I have devised a very simple fix that should work for at least a few other people. There was a post in the ARHD thread where it suggested cleaning the connectors and the battery. I was pulling out my battery to give this a try when I realized the battery could be pushed slightly farther down into the housing, allowing for a more solid connection.

What I did was wedge a small piece of business card between the top of the battery housing and the battery itself. This has worked very well for me so far. If anyone else would like to try this and either confirm or deny that it is working for them that would be great.

As requested, pictures have been attached. One shows the items you need, another shows where I placed it against the battery and the other shows it sitting flush in the battery housing. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium
    Haha i'm hardly a dev...just an avid enthusiast. You can always hit the thanks button though :) that is appreciation enough for me lol

Pictures added to first post.

If it works for you feel free to hit the "thanks" button :)
    I found pulling the ground pin out a bit helps, the one that makes contact with the battery cover and can cause touchscreen issues.
    I only have it with certain ROMs and have not had out for a long time since the updated firmware

Sent from my HTC sensation 4g using Tapatalk

Best of luck! You may also want to put some rubbing alcohol on a towel and wipe the connectors on battery and housing.