• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Fix]Unknown error code during application install: "-24"

Search This thread

Qewbicle

Oct 2, 2011
I don't know the cause. I have noticed that it has happened on different devices, there have been assumptions if it's because of a specific kernel or rom, although it may be, I beg to differ. I feel it is happening during the Android Upgrading Apps # of # process.

I noticed that this error pops up on most of the apps that I had installed, but are not there after my update. So far with me, it happened only to my paid apps, but not all of them.

When the app disappears, android thinks it's missing, but some files think it is still installed.

Regularly when you install an app over itself, there is a notice telling you that the application info will remain. That's where the problem lies once an app mysteriously disappears. Because part of it is still installed.:mad:

Go to

/data/data/

and search for your

com.application-address.whatever-it-may-be

Some of them you can tell what they are just by the names, the others, google-em.
If you wish to keep the information that it contains for the app, I recommend making a copy of it first.:good:

Delete it

Install the application, it'll work, trust me. :fingers-crossed:

Now replace it with your copy.

Done. :cool:

Stop factoring resetting if you don't want to. Of course, if you have a lot missing, it might be better. :crying:

If someone can automate this process by making something check the com.address to installed apps, that would be awesome. :highfive:

TwinkyOfHope

Jun 24, 2011
Monterey, CA
This totally worked. Thanks bro!
I was setting up my Nexus 4, and this was Tune In Radio Pro was the last app and wouldn't install, I kept getting that stupid -24 error.
Saved me from doing a factory reset!

maxlax1592

Dec 8, 2012
I don't know the cause. I have noticed that it has happened on different devices, there have been assumptions if it's because of a specific kernel or rom, although it may be, I beg to differ. I feel it is happening during the Android Upgrading Apps # of # process.

I noticed that this error pops up on most of the apps that I had installed, but are not there after my update. So far with me, it happened only to my paid apps, but not all of them.

When the app disappears, android thinks it's missing, but some files think it is still installed.

Regularly when you install an app over itself, there is a notice telling you that the application info will remain. That's where the problem lies once an app mysteriously disappears. Because part of it is still installed.:mad:

Go to

/data/data/

and search for your

Some of them you can tell what they are just by the names, the others, google-em.
If you wish to keep the information that it contains for the app, I recommend making a copy of it first.:good:

Delete it

Stop factoring resetting if you don't want to. Of course, if you have a lot missing, it might be better. :crying:

If someone can automate this process by making something check the com.address to installed apps, that would be awesome. :highfive:

Didn't work for me. I'm using the Skyrocket CM 10 and gapps didn't flash youtube, maps, or gmail. I searched the phone directory and deleted each file. I still get the same error. Should I reflash gapps?

Thanks

Reactions: maahfu

pnyboy27

Nov 19, 2009
It didn't work for me. =( I'm trying to install an app I used to have before. I don't have it anymore and was trying to reinstall it.

goldenninja

Jan 14, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-14-15-07-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-14-15-07-50.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,771
Reactions: jodiac

Largamelion

Sep 10, 2010
I have this issue with Swiftkey and there is no 'data/data/' folder, checked both root and sdcard and hidden files are shown ...

Edit: Configured ES File Explorer to mount partition as writable and gave root access -> files were there now and deleting the one with Swiftkey solved my problem.

Thx

Last edited:

tmallory

Nov 10, 2012
I'm running into this issue with a bunch of apps that got lost when flashing a newer CM10.1 nightly. I can't access those folders in data/data since ES File Manager is one of the apps that gets this error!

Is there any other way to fix this? I can't install anything, not even Chrome :crying:

hunyadia

Jan 21, 2005
hungary
Thx mate, perfect!

Go to

/data/data/

and search for your

:highfive:

tt100b

Feb 22, 2011
Figure it out?

Yeah, that's awesome, but how do you expect to get to that folder without a file explorer? because you cannot install one.....

I've got the same problem. Root explorer is one of the apps I didn't get back and ES won't give me access to data/data, and I am rooted BTW

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

I've got the same problem. Root explorer is one of the apps I didn't get back and ES won't give me access to data/data, and I am rooted BTW

In case it might help someone else I thought I'd pass along what I just did to fix the problem. I booted into recovery and found the com.speed.... file for root explorer that way and deleted it and then rebooted. I then was able to load and install root explorer from the play store and now I can sit back and delete all the rest of the apps that won't install correctly...

I guess I could have done it from recovery also but I forgot to write them all down before I rebooted!

Last edited:

rfj1979

Aug 7, 2009
sacramento

Go to

/data/data/

and search for your

Delete it

Worked Like a Charm Thank you for you help :D

Reactions: leesengann

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Go to

/data/data/

and search for your

Delete it

An easier way

Titanium backup has a function just for this. It's"Remove orphaned data (use with caution)" does exactly this! It will remove all the data of uninstalled apps (or just the selected) which is exactly what we want here. Didn't see anyone else saying it so I thought I'd mention it.
    I have this issue with Swiftkey and there is no 'data/data/' folder, checked both root and sdcard and hidden files are shown ...

Edit: Configured ES File Explorer to mount partition as writable and gave root access -> files were there now and deleting the one with Swiftkey solved my problem.

Thx
    Yep, Titanium Backup, go to "menu", under "general" pick "batch actions" then "manipulate data" and "Remove orphan data (USE WITH CAUTION)" I have a new Nexus 4 and was having trouble installing Swiftkey. I couldn't find the file to delete under data/data, there were none with Swiftkey in them, must have been there though under a different name as Titanium Backup had exactly one orphan data file and it was for Swiftkey. It deleted it and it then installed first try.

Thank YOU!!!!!!!!
    For those having trouble seeing data/data in es file explorer, you have to grant the app access to that location first. I'm not sure if there's an easier way, but here's how I did it:

Tap the icon in the upper left (globe/device)
    Choose "tools"
    Choose "root explorer"
    Choose "mount R/W"
    Here is where you are granting read/write permissions to different paths in your system (RO means "read only," RW mean "Read/write")
    For the path "/" change from RO to RW, select "Ok"
    Now go back to the globe/device menu and select "local" and select "/ device"
    From there you can navigate to "data/data"

Thanks to this thread I was able to get aldiko installed, was having trouble after updating to a new rom.