[FIXED][CONFIRMED] Adobe Flash now working properly in Stock Browser and Dolphin HD

Search This thread

Roach2010

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
I have come up with a solution for low fps in the Browser when viewing Adobe Flash videos.

The problem is that some devices somehow end up with a missing file that the Browser uses to talk to Flash Player. In my case if I clear the Browser data and reinstall the latest version of Flash Player from the market the config file does not get recreated.

/data/data/com.android.browser/app_plugins/com.adobe.flashplayer/.macromedia/Flash_Player/config.data

I don't yet know what circumstances have led to the file not being created when flash is installed and why it seems to be generated on some roms but not others.

What I do know is that after adding this file, Flash starts working again in the Browser at 30fps.

If you only get 9-10 fps with the youtube speed test video then give this a try and report your findings in here.

If this works for you here's a link to some awesome videos from the guys who directed the batelco infinity video some of you may have seen.
http://www.alexandsteffen.com/hd/

Opera seems to still be laggy but this works for the Stock Browser and Dolphin HD

Flash this in CWM recovery or push the config.data file manually.

Here are patches that will fix either the Stock Browser or Dolphin HD

Last edited:

Roach2010

Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
A lowly 10, my friend. Is there any additional info that would help?

Yeah, can you check to make sure that file is definitely where it should be?

It also needs to have the right permissions set on it.

The other files in that folder will have UID and GID of app_xx(some number)

Assuming the file is there (if it's not you can copy it in manually) set the UID and GID of config.data to match that of the other files...

i.e.
chown app_xx config.data
chgrp app_xx config.data

Once that's done try the speed test again.

Your worst case scenario would be to clear all browser data and reinstall Flash from the market and follow the above steps again. This worked for me today every time.

Note that my fix only works with the Stock Browser

Last edited:

residentorca

Jan 24, 2011
Seattle
Moto G Play
Yeah, can you check to make sure that file is definitely where it should be?

It also needs to have the right permissions set on it.

The other files in that folder will have UID and GID of app_xx(some number)

Assuming the file is there (if it's not you can copy it in manually) set the UID and GID of config.data to match that of the other files...

i.e.
chown app_xx config.data
chgrp app_xx config.data

The config.data file was not in the Flash_Player folder. It contained two folders (#SharedObjects and adobe.com) and a single file named cfg_req_ts.

For the file named cfg_req_ts, owner and group were both set to app_67. So I changed the properties of config.data from owner:system and group:sdcard_rw to owner:app_67 group:app_67 and it worked!

I am getting 30 fps now. Thanks so much!

Will I need to repeat this procedure each time Flash Player is updated?

Last edited:

Roach2010

Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
The config.data file is not in the Flash_Player folder. It contains two folders (#SharedObjects and adobe.com) and a single file named cfg_req_ts.

I will copy config.data to the folder but if I understand you correctly, there should be some other files there get the UID and GID from and there are not.

My FlashFix.zip can't have worked right on your cwm. once you copy that file in manually you should test your flash speed and only mess with the the permissions if that doesn't work. Here's mine to show you what they should look like (your number will most likely be different).

Code:
drwx------ app_48   app_48            2011-08-26 15:11 #SharedObjects
drwx------ app_48   app_48            2011-08-26 15:11 adobe.com
-rw-rw---- app_48   app_48         13 2011-08-26 15:11 cfg_req_ts
-rw-rw-rw- app_48   app_48         55 2011-08-26 15:12 config.data

residentorca

Jan 24, 2011
Seattle
Moto G Play
My FlashFix.zip can't have worked right on your cwm. once you copy that file in manually you should test your flash speed and only mess with the the permissions if that doesn't work. Here's mine to show you what they should look like (your number will most likely be different).

Code:

Thanks, Roach. It's fixed now. I was busy updating my last post and didn't realize you posted this reply while I was doing that.

Roach2010

Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
Thanks, Roach. It's fixed now. I was busy updating my last post and didn't realize you posted this reply while I was doing that.

Great to hear. You should only need to do this again after you wipe or clear browser data.

I've done some digging and I think that libflashplayer.so is suppose to create this file when Flash Player is installed or run but for some reason it's not happening.

I might take a look at opera later and see if there are some common elements with how flash operates.

Reactions: Ultraman666

residentorca

Jan 24, 2011
Seattle
Moto G Play
Great to hear. You should only need to do this again after you wipe or clear browser data.

I've done some digging and I think that libflashplayer.so is suppose to create this file when Flash Player is installed or run but for some reason it's not happening.

I might take a look at opera later and see if there are some common elements with how flash operates.

I'll just make sure not to wipe, browser cache that is.

I tried the test video in Dolphin HD and it was only showing 10 fps. I remember in an earlier version of PRIME! it was just the opposite. I could get 30 fps in Dolphin but not stock browser.

Congrats on the front page story about your excellent detective work! A beer is on its way.

Reactions: Roach2010

Roach2010

Sep 1, 2008
Glasgow
I copied both the config.data and cfq_req_ts into the same folder in opera and flash works great there too now. I didn't get a higher framerate than 15 on the test video but other flash videos play now with no choppiness.

Looks like this might be universal for all browsers after all.

Reactions: sAmZoTt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have come up with a solution for low fps in the Browser when viewing Adobe Flash videos.

The problem is that some devices somehow end up with a missing file that the Browser uses to talk to Flash Player. In my case if I clear the Browser data and reinstall the latest version of Flash Player from the market the config file does not get recreated.

/data/data/com.android.browser/app_plugins/com.adobe.flashplayer/.macromedia/Flash_Player/config.data

I don't yet know what circumstances have led to the file not being created when flash is installed and why it seems to be generated on some roms but not others.

What I do know is that after adding this file, Flash starts working again in the Browser at 30fps.

If you only get 9-10 fps with the youtube speed test video then give this a try and report your findings in here.

If this works for you here's a link to some awesome videos from the guys who directed the batelco infinity video some of you may have seen.
    http://www.alexandsteffen.com/hd/

Opera seems to still be laggy but this works for the Stock Browser and Dolphin HD

Flash this in CWM recovery or push the config.data file manually.

Here are patches that will fix either the Stock Browser or Dolphin HD
    Here's the fix for Dolphin For PAD.
    The config.data file is not in the Flash_Player folder. It contains two folders (#SharedObjects and adobe.com) and a single file named cfg_req_ts.

I will copy config.data to the folder but if I understand you correctly, there should be some other files there get the UID and GID from and there are not.

Code:
    thanks worked fine in stock, and simple manual copy to the same folder in dolphin using root explorer fixed dolphin. can't get it t0 work with opera but still trying. great find.
    Congrats roach, this thread made the front page!!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone