• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question [FIXED] Has one of you been able to disable /data Encryption on the Poco F3?

Search This thread

zSyntex

Sep 24, 2017
Bari, Apulia
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Again out of curiosity and without rushing, what would be the benefit of removing encryption?
Probably because any custom recovery needs to read /data partition without the encryption.
My old Xiaomi Mi8 and Mi11 have this problem.
This isn't an urgent question. Has one of you been able to disable the forced /data encryption on the Poco F3?

I'm curious, because I've tried it many times in the past with multiple ways, to no success.

Edit: I found a guide, will try: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-decryption-data.4317277/page-2#post-85514117
Yes, you need to Format Data (not Wipe) and delete everythings on your device so. [ndr. TWRP offers this way easily]
Of course I suggest you to put a ROM via adb or USB to flash it suddenly after the format.
That's because format the Internal Storage produces No OS Installed error, of course.

Other than that, flash dm-verity and force-no encryption if your Xiaomi device has it.

Reactions: pegasoc
Again out of curiosity and without rushing, what would be the benefit of removing encryption?
-Slight speed improvements
-Better for Power-users (or shall I say Superusers ;D) who constantly do mods
-Less problems in potentially buggy environments outside of Android (like a Custom Recovery)

Probably because any custom recovery needs to read /data partition without the encryption.

Yes, you need to Format Data (not Wipe) and delete everythings on your device so. [ndr. TWRP offers this way easily]
Of course I suggest you to put a ROM via adb or USB to flash it suddenly after the format.
That's because format the Internal Storage produces No OS Installed error, of course.

Other than that, flash dm-verity and force-no encryption if your Xiaomi device has it.
Have you tried this for yourself? That doesn't work for the Poco F3. That's why I'm mentioning "for the Poco F3".

I'll try the guide I linked above, this afternoon.

Reactions: pegasoc

zSyntex

Sep 24, 2017
Bari, Apulia
Samsung Galaxy S21+
-Less problems in potentially buggy environments outside of Android (like a Custom Recovery)

Have you tried this for yourself? That doesn't work for the Poco F3. That's why I'm mentioning "for the Poco F3".

I tried with old Xiaomi Mi8, Poco F1 and F2 Pro (of my family) and Mi11.
Same hardware, same OS and methods. I don't think Poco F3 is different from them.

In fact, a lot of users of this device modded it witouth any problem.
Only problem is that you could lost, most probably, the DRMs apps like Home Banking (in Italy work without problems) and Netflix/Amazon Prime HD. Are you concerned about that, right?

I tried with old Xiaomi Mi8, Poco F1 and F2 Pro (of my family) and Mi11.
Same hardware, same OS and methods. I don't think Poco F3 is different from them.

In fact, a lot of users of this device modded it witouth any problem.
Only problem is that you could lost, most probably, the DRMs apps like Home Banking (in Italy work without problems) and Netflix/Amazon Prime HD. Are you concerned about that, right?
Poco F3 is different than those devices.

I'm not concerned about anything, just would like to not have encryption. I don't need it.
It's like forcing people to use BitLocker on Windows...

zSyntex

Sep 24, 2017
Bari, Apulia
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Poco F3 is different than those devices.

I'm not concerned about anything, just would like to not have encryption. I don't need it.
It's like forcing people to use BitLocker on Windows...
Well, is not different. They're all Qualcomm based, all with the same re-partition and OS.
F2 Pro, F3 and Mi11 are on the same set of Xiaomi haha.
Maybe you're new in modding, but trust me or everyone else on this forum.

For encryption, well every device above Android 7 or 8 have it of default, Google force them with the kernel, too.

Well, is not different. They're all Qualcomm based, all with the same re-partition and OS.

For encryption, well every device above Android 7 or 8 have it of default, Google force them with the kernel, too.
Bruh.

Instead of lowkey calling me stupid, try it out for yourself.
Disabling Encryption does, not, work, per the usual methods on the Poco F3.

Unlike the phones you mentioned, the Poco F3 launched with Android 11 and a read-only /system.

And problems with banking apps and Netflix etc don't have anything to do with Encryption, but with SafetyNet.

Reactions: Darkaeluz

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
This isn't an urgent question. Has one of you been able to disable the forced /data encryption on the Poco F3?

I'm curious, because I've tried it many times in the past with multiple ways, to no success.

Edit: I found a guide, will try: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-decryption-data.4317277/page-2#post-85514117
yep there is a zip that helps disable encryption and works flawlessly, tho you need to format once after flashing it after that you can switch between roms only by wiping data. tried it on multiple roms now except hentai os, There's an xda thread on it as well ill link it ere a

m0lly.

Jul 23, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F3
yep there is a zip that helps disable encryption and works flawlessly, tho you need to format once after flashing it after that you can switch between roms only by wiping data. tried it on multiple roms now except hentai os, There's an xda thread on it as well ill link it ere a

ere ye go

he's got a tg group too. join ere too everything is explained in detail.

Reactions: dreamytom

Rstment ^m^

Aug 19, 2018
Thank you! I found that one as well right after I made my post. I will try it now, since at 10 pm afternoon no one is gonna call me lol
Did you try the actual fix proposed by the script author in comments?

Boot Android , run script from inside running Android and then later fastboot flash the super image that you get as output?

I was looking at it this morning lmao , I'm really curious how the fk there's such a huge coincidence for me too see your post later the same day...

I don't trust the script developer that wrote the Poco f3 thread... I am not knowledgeable enough to know where to look inside his script and see if there's any malicious code or something so I think going with what's written inside comments is the safer bet.

If you decide to go that route share with us how it went ! I'm not comfortable enough to try it just yet...

Did you try the actual fix proposed by the script author in comments?

Boot Android , run script from inside running Android and then later fastboot flash the super image that you get as output?

I was looking at it this morning lmao , I'm really curious how the fk there's such a huge coincidence for me too see your post later the same day...

I don't trust the script developer that wrote the Poco f3 thread... I am not knowledgeable enough to know where to look inside his script and see if there's any malicious code or something so I think going with what's written inside comments is the safer bet.

If you decide to go that route share with us how it went ! I'm not comfortable enough to try it just yet...
You mean system_rw flashable?
Yes, I did try it many months ago with an older version! I don't remember the details, but I had 2 errors while trying to flash it. The first error I somehow fixed, but the second error, I couldn't around it... I have also tried to make system read-write manually by using his instructions, but that hadn't worked out either.

I'm now formatting data and trying out the link (it looks very promising!). It also has a video guide.

After that, I'll try out "MiuiVn" and see what that MIUI Custom ROM has to offer. :)

Rstment ^m^

Aug 19, 2018
You mean system_rw flashable?
Yes, I did try it many months ago with an older version! I don't remember the details, but I had 2 errors while trying to flash it. The first error I somehow fixed, but the second error, I couldn't around it... I have also tried to make system read-write manually by using his instructions, but that hadn't worked out either.

I'm now formatting data and trying out the link (it looks very promising!). It also has a video guide.

After that, I'll try out "MiuiVn" and see what that MIUI Custom ROM has to offer. :)
Nothing much... You have everything inside miui beta global + it's much more stable than custom ROM from some random Devs

I was referring to this comment :

This installation error can be avoided if /data is decrypted and mounted properly. Apparently some recoveries still have trouble doing that... This error doesn't happen if script is launched from within Android because /data partition is decrypted/mounted properly in Android.

Before running SystemRW script you can check free space in /data partition using this command in terminal:
df -h
You need at least 10+ GB to run the script properly.

I think you need to do a full boot into Android operating system as soon as you flashed a new ROM for the device to become fully operational. Maybe that's why /data partition is not mounted properly in recovery?

Maybe in next version of script I should use this path as project path:
/data/systemrw_1.32b
What do you think?

If you check his original post there are instructions on how to manually flash.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instead of lowkey calling me stupid, try it out for yourself.
    Disabling Encryption does, not, work, per the usual methods on the Poco F3.

Unlike the phones you mentioned, the Poco F3 launched with Android 11 and a read-only /system.

And problems with banking apps and Netflix etc don't have anything to do with Encryption, but with SafetyNet.

ere ye go

he's got a tg group too. join ere too everything is explained in detail.