• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread
Updating context since I see activity here and troubleshooting is fun !! :D

Original Post -
Need your expert guidance @draxie and @DB126 .

Device - Fire HDX 8.9 (3rd Gen)
Bootlocker - Unlocked (method & files used)
Adb & Fastboot - Enabled
TWRP - v3.5.0_9-1 by @ggow

ISSUE - Touch screen alignment is off after flashing a ROM meant for THOR. (this)

Now the TWRP touch is haywire and I could not seem to be able to fix it. These are some of the things I have tried so far after figuring out places to touch to make TWRP work.
  1. Tried a dirty and clean flash of Lineage OS14.1 & 16 through TWRP.
  2. Tried dirty and clean restore of Lineage OS14.1 & 16 backups through TWRP.
  3. Erased recovery in fastboot mode and flashed recovery again in both 'recovery' & 'boot' partitions.
  4. Erased everything (except 'bootloader') --> erased aboot --> flashed aboot for apollo (which was used while unlocking the bootloader) --> flashed recovery.
  5. Erased everything (except 'bootloader') --> erased aboot --> booted into bulk mode --> on my system (windows) saw only one folder 'image' inside one of the partitions --> didn't make sense to me so copied to system.
None of the above steps worked for me. Thinking on the below next step -
  1. Flash stock rom somehow. As this might result into a hard brick, I wanted to know if there is anything else that I can try before that.
Update - Downloaded Stock Fire OS 4.5.5 from amazon --> updated updater-script --> ADB sideloaded --> Now I have everything stock but the touch issue still persists. (Fortunately I still have ADB, can boot into bootloader, flash aboot, twrp, etc.)

Read somewhere that flashing an incorrect ROM in some cases may even break the touchscreen digitizer warranting a replace ! Possibilities?

Thanks in advance.

Update 1-
The below 2 options seem to have worked for other devices -
  1. Get the touch screen digitizer replaced.
  2. Locate and overwrite the corrupted touch screen drivers/controllers. (one related post)

ISSUE FIXED
Resolution provided by @draxie below.

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Deleted post suggests you found resolution; hope it was a positive outcome.

As for HDX support, I moved on in 2020 after eight largely satisfying years with this device. The bar moves; HDX form factor/panel/audio no longer outweigh substantial hardware and firmware/rom defiicits in my use case.

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
Hijacking the thread, since there's nothing of apparent value in it thus far...

Deleted post suggests you found resolution; hope it was a positive outcome.

As for HDX support, I moved on in 2020 after eight largely satisfying years with this device. The bar moves; HDX form factor/panel/audio no longer outweigh substantial hardware and firmware/rom defiicits in my use case.
Would you mind sharing what replaced your HDX?
(I'm aware of a ton of issues that could easily make people move on,
but I'm yet to find a reasonable alternative that's not an iPad.)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

Largely stock HD10 along with other task specific devices. Done with rooting, custom ROMs, kernels, mods, etc. Android has come a long way from the Jelly Bean days with adequate (albeit imperfect) controls to tame the most egregious behaviors. Amazon's ridiculous, always running app portfolio can be largely reined in with simple adb commands. Fire Toolbox automates most of these tasks for the uninitiated.

Life is short; I prefer to use my gizmos vs manage them. 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: ojdon and draxie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Largely stock HD10 along with other task specific devices. Done with rooting, custom ROMs, kernels, mods, etc. Android has come a long way from the Jelly Bean days with adequate (albeit imperfect) controls to tame the most egregious behaviors. Amazon's ridiculous, always running app portfolio can be largely reined in with simple adb commands. Fire Toolbox automates most of these tasks for the uninitiated.

Life is short; I prefer to use my gizmos vs manage them. 😎
    I think you want to do what @ggow did, except with the corresponding Thor image...

Code:
    ./synaptics_fw_updater -v -f -b Synaptics.3.B.thor.img

You'll find a bunch of "Synaptics.*.thor.img.ihex" files in the kernel source.
    In that case, you won't even need to mess with .ihex stuff...
    Man o man o man. It worked !! Touchscreen fixed. Thanks @draxie for the support. :D