(Fixed:root reqd.) High CPU usage and battery drain due to Google Play Services.

Search This thread

ruruoli

May 4, 2022
After an irrecoverable bootloop( probably due to LSPosed plus the necessity to freeze the Magisk Manager app to get a few banking apps working) I finally decided to move to an A12 and as expected this issue didn't occur.
If your rom is new enough (may/june patch) there will be no system update for you, wait a month or two (maybe three) and it will start to occur.

livingbeing

Jun 16, 2019
hi, did you find any solution to solve this without root?
when I check my log file from adb, I am quite sure that the problem will occur once a day at every "SystemUpdate" service from play store,
without root, i can only kill the play service at that time from developer settings

amn1987

hi, did you find any solution to solve this without root?
when I check my log file from adb, I am quite sure that the problem will occur once a day at every "SystemUpdate" service from play store,
without root, i can only kill the play service at that time from developer settings
Try the command in ADB. Otherwise the real fix is to switch to an upto date ROM.

amn1987

can confirm that. But I took another approach and as root, killed the installd process. log SPAM and high CPU usage are gone and no other strange side effects so far.
Device: oneplus3, android 11 msm-xtended custom ROM

What's the current status?

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
No idea. In my case A11 builds are EOL. I haven't come across anyone running A12 with this issue.
I believe it's still an issue on some A12.1 builds (see below). Also, someone in the Telegram chat told me that disabling com.google.android.gms/.chimera.GmsIntentOperationService broke more than just Google Keep -- it broke sync in various ways. For those of us without good A12 builds available, such as Moto G5 Plus, this is really frustrating.

amn1987

I believe it's still an issue on some A12.1 builds (see below). Also, someone in the Telegram chat told me that disabling com.google.android.gms/.chimera.GmsIntentOperationService broke more than just Google Keep -- it broke sync in various ways. For those of us without good A12 builds available, such as Moto G5 Plus, this is really frustrating.

In A11, Contacts sync had stopped working and some reminders from Calendar were missing most of the time. Probably due to this issue. I had read somewhere of a Magisk module to disable Google Play System Update but couldn't find it anywhere. In my case after updating to A12 fortunately it's not an issue.

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Maybe microG is worth a shot if this issue persists in case of upto date builds as well. I suspect this issue could be related to spoofing devices as Pixels for the unlimited Google Photos backup hack.
That's a good idea. I just did a bit of searching and it didn't bring up much as far as recent potter support for microG, though, and I'm really not interested in trying to compile my own right now. What's frustrating is that I have no need for the unlimited Google Photos hack!

It was just suggested to me that, if a backport can be made from a fix in 12.1, that we look at commits in PixelPropsUtil (frameworks/base/core/java/com/android/internal/util/custom/PixelPropsUtils.java)

Reactions: amn1987

amn1987

That's a good idea. I just did a bit of searching and it didn't bring up much as far as recent potter support for microG, though, and I'm really not interested in trying to compile my own right now. What's frustrating is that I have no need for the unlimited Google Photos hack!

It was just suggested to me that, if a backport can be made from a fix in 12.1, that we look at commits in PixelPropsUtil (frameworks/base/core/java/com/android/internal/util/custom/PixelPropsUtils.java)

MicroG isn't device dependent AFAIK. Just flash the module or the zip as the case might be.
It will be good to have a proper fix for this frustrating issue as at some point ROM development will stop for most devices.

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
MicroG isn't device dependent AFAIK. Just flash the module or the zip as the case might be.
It will be good to have a proper fix for this frustrating issue as at some point ROM development will stop for most devices.
I haven't installed MicroG before, but I understand the basic concept, and I've been reading up on it since you mentioned it. I read that it needs signature spoofing support in the OS, which CrDroid supposedly has, but, in this particular case, if my purpose is simply to get around a bug in Google Play services, then the goal would be to *not* go down the rabbit hole of full-on MicroG, right? I could be misunderstanding it, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's some way to just swap out the gapps version of com.google.android.gms with the MicroG version of it and keep everything else the same (i.e. the regular Play Store and the common Google apps included with opengapps or whatever)?

amn1987

I haven't installed MicroG before, but I understand the basic concept, and I've been reading up on it since you mentioned it. I read that it needs signature spoofing support in the OS, which CrDroid supposedly has, but, in this particular case, if my purpose is simply to get around a bug in Google Play services, then the goal would be to *not* go down the rabbit hole of full-on MicroG, right? I could be misunderstanding it, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's some way to just swap out the gapps version of com.google.android.gms with the MicroG version of it and keep everything else the same (i.e. the regular Play Store and the common Google apps included with opengapps or whatever)?
No it doesn't work that way. I couldn't stick to microG for very long even in a years old entry-level device where it's super low resource usage would have been very handy due to app incompatibilities. Some apps that worked fine without Play Services would just crash with microG. As a stopgap solution it should be OK while waiting for a proper fix.

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
su pm disable com.google.android.gms/.chimera.GmsIntentOperationService

Are there any other such commands that might have an effect here? I found a very old thread referring to the following, but none of these have an effect on this issue:
Code:
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateActivity
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver
adb shell su -c pm disable com.google.android.gms/.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver

Trying to think outside the box, the following guy blocked OTA updates by write-protecting the ota_package folder on boot! That doesn't seem to apply here, but I wonder if something along those lines could work.

rocker00

Jun 23, 2012
All A12L ROMs that I've tried are affected by this issue, derpfest, ricedroid, sparkos and cherishos, so it doesn't really matter about the android version or the ROM is outdated or so, as i mentioned before, seems like that spoofing has to be modified or even completely removed from the framework, I've tried to mess with build.prop by modifying many things but nothing helped, for example, why Miui stock ROMs are not affected? simply, no spoofing!

I hope that the developers pay more attention to this cuz this is really annoying and the solution brings more issues!

Last edited:

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
@rocker00 , even if that's true, maybe on the affected ROMs the devs can find a way to spoof things even further, lol, to get around this particular issue -- rather than remove all the spoofing. :) I don't care which way they do it, as long as we can find a fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, my question is... has anyone figured out WHAT EXACTLY has been screwed up by disabling GmsIntentOperationService, because it's rather important, as I understand it? No problem not having notifications on Google Keep, since I am not using it. Are push messages still ok, for say... Whatsapp, Telegram? What did disablint that service screw up?

Any other possible fix found? It's unbelievable that most devs don't acknowledge the issue on custom roms and fix it...

It's definitely rather important, and I'd ideally like to know, too. But as far as any other possible fix, I can report to you that Moto G5 Plus users like me just received an updated CrDroid ROM yesterday, and whatever the dev did -- whether it was building in the hosts file blocking, or something with incorporating the latest Android bug fixes -- but it fixed our constant barrage of SystemUpdate logcat messages. I believe, as per the above posts by rocker00, that if a dev sought to remove some of the Pixel spoofing code it could also deal with it. Ideally, I'd love to know why or how the spoofing code specifically causes it.
    Maybe microG is worth a shot if this issue persists in case of upto date builds as well. I suspect this issue could be related to spoofing devices as Pixels for the unlimited Google Photos backup hack.

@mmortal03 I'm not saying that the spoofing is completely useless, but in this situation at least Google stuff has to be removed, they can keep the spoofing for the games to get a higher fps and every stuff but Google, for example, who cares about having an unlimited photos storage and in return you get overheating, bad performance and battery drain?
    @mmortal03 Yes this is the main file but I've found some other related stuff, it's different from ROM to ROM, anyway, here are my steps:

* decompiled the framework.jar on the laptop
    * used notepad++ and searched within the framework about everything regarding PixelPropsUtil
    * copied the original framework on the phone and used MT Manger app to decompile and modify the framework and removed that file and some other lines I've found on other xmls (the apktool on the laptop gives a corrupted framework, at least for me)
    * copied the modified framework and made a TWRP patch
    * wiped everything and flashed the ROM followed by the modified framework (without rebooting, and this is very important) and that's it.

Surely, This is only for the advanced users, the real solution should comes by the devs.
    Just tested, Whatsapp push notifications work without issues. Since I "have to have" Whatsapp in this day and age, that was my only concern... goody gumdrops!

For mail, I don't care, since installed Aqua Mail is set to automatically check mails every hour, Google Maps work, Youtube is replaced with Revanced/MicroG combo.

Found this:
    Google Cloud Messaging, deprecated April 10 2018, has been deactivated and removed from Google's APIs. For equivalent functionality, use Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), which inherits the reliable and scalable GCM infrastructure, plus many new features.

So why, for hell sake, does update depend on GCM crap, when it seems it's not needed for anything else? Disabling it has no bad sides, at least in my usecase. Improved my battery life massively, since after disabling the service, alarms and partial wakelocks from Google Play Services are practically nonexistent.

Terefore, CPU is being much quieter and does not ramp up like an idiot in heat all the time. Faster doze time, less traffic on Wifi... a pure win.
    If issues happen, I will update my post.

P.S. Must notify crDroid/Arrow dev for Poco X3 Pro about that fix, so he can implement the same in his ROM.
    If the problem is "system update" of Google play services, perhaps we need to do a clean flash of a Rom with an updated Gapps package.
    Try this command:
    su
    pm disable com.google.android.gms/.chimera.GmsIntentOperationService
    After using it immediately the logcat spam stopped. It's been a few hours and it hasn't recurred. Got this from another user also suffering from this issue and he confirmed that it's been over a day since the issue last occurred.
    Google Play Services is causing high CPU usage and massive battery drain( >25%/h) continuously. Battery temps. cross 40°C in no time. The issue persisted upon rebooting the device. Had to finally freeze it.
    In FKM, I/O section shows constant 20-25MB/s writes. "com.google.android.gms" and "com.google.android.gms.persistent" are the two processes causing consistently high CPU usage. There's also "jbd2/sda1-8".
    After booting into Safe Mode the issue didn't persist. But still no idea what exactly is causing this issue.
    Poco F1 running crDroid 7.14. This issue cropped up the first time ever in build 7.7. Only resolved after dirty flashing 7.13. NikGApps Core version.
    I have attached the log. Can someone please take a look?
    Thanks.

Fix : type the following in any Terminal emulator of your choice with the recommendation being Termux
    su
    pm disable com.google.android.gms/.chimera.GmsIntentOperationService

If not rooted maybe try via ADB.

Courtesy of a Telegram user. XDA, Reddit were of no help.
    So, my question is... has anyone figured out WHAT EXACTLY has been screwed up by disabling GmsIntentOperationService, because it's rather important, as I understand it? No problem not having notifications on Google Keep, since I am not using it. Are push messages still ok, for say... Whatsapp, Telegram? What did disablint that service screw up?

Any other possible fix found? It's unbelievable that most devs don't acknowledge the issue on custom roms and fix it...

It's definitely rather important, and I'd ideally like to know, too. But as far as any other possible fix, I can report to you that Moto G5 Plus users like me just received an updated CrDroid ROM yesterday, and whatever the dev did -- whether it was building in the hosts file blocking, or something with incorporating the latest Android bug fixes -- but it fixed our constant barrage of SystemUpdate logcat messages. I believe, as per the above posts by rocker00, that if a dev sought to remove some of the Pixel spoofing code it could also deal with it. Ideally, I'd love to know why or how the spoofing code specifically causes it.
    `pm disable com.google.android.gms/.chimera.GmsIntentOperationService` works but this command breaks google keep notifications :(
    can confirm that. But I took another approach and as root, killed the installd process. log SPAM and high CPU usage are gone and no other strange side effects so far.
    Device: oneplus3, android 11 msm-xtended custom ROM

`pm disable com.google.android.gms/.chimera.GmsIntentOperationService` works but this command breaks google keep notifications :(