FIXED: Samsung Note 20 Black Screen OF Death But Phone Workimg Via Dex - Help Needed

Search This thread

alixra

Jan 5, 2016
It didn't come back on for 3 days. I have sent it back to wonda Hong Kong for warranty fix

opalslatina

Nov 12, 2014
push volume up and hold it while pushing the power button see if screen comes on in this state.
Helped to me

mani.1

Oct 6, 2011
Happened to my Note 20U (N986B). I left to charge on 80%, came back to find the display dead, although the phone was working fine (rang when the calls came and stylus sound effects were working). I never used any third party charger or USB C cable.

After a while, the phone starting rebooting itself whenever i removed and reinserted the stylus. I tried everything on the video (attached in the thread) but unfortunately no luck. I didn't have USB C to HDMI adapter so don't know the exact behavior of the phone.

After a week, I went to the service center and got a replacement panel and as soon as the guy plugged in the new panel, the phone booted up perfectly. I am a Samsung user since galaxy S2 and have been buying their flagships each year without a miss and ended up disappointed this time.

Note: Since I bought the phone (box packed and new), I never dropped it, submerged it in water or installed any custom ROM or MOD.

Euphorbia

Jul 13, 2021
This has happened to me twice. The first was a few months ago. Took a few days but happened to fix when I connected it to my TV via HDMI (this was about the 15th attempt, so could just be coincidence). Went again this morning. Tried everything apart from letting the battery drain.

Really peeved, I thought it was just a glitch as everything has been fine for months and now this!

malebornin69

Apr 16, 2011
Hurricane WV
Honor 9 Lite
Mine did this right after I got it .....i just took screen shots about 8 of them and then rebooted the phone ... it came right back on... I have also noticed (its done this several times) when it happens I have to reset the camera.apk in app's. I wont let you open the settings by pressing the settings button on the screen with the camera on.... well I will take that back the settings app keeps crashing the camera when you try to open it from the button on the camera screen......UNLESS you are real fast and can scroll down the screen and open anything before it crashes the camera... Just figure i would say something that works for me.... without having to smack this $1300 ***** around...

merovingienne

Sep 1, 2021
I have come across this issue on an S10+ Performance Edition. It first happened two days ago. Realizing the phone was working despite the screen not lighting up, I connected it to a monitor and was greeted with a lock icon. The screen was not being mirrored at this point, but I managed to type my pin blindly. Later I removed the pin and changed screen lock to swiping.

After about 24 hours of despair, I tried the tricks on the video linked in an earlier post on this thread. Tapping somewhat hard on the screen worked! But the problem came back within 30 minutes. No amount of tapping nor slapping seemed to work after that.

Then today, I took the phone for a walk. When I got back, the screen started working again. But after leaving it stationary for a little while, it's not working again.

I have a suspicion the cable connecting the screen to the motherboard has gotten loose. This is one way to explain the intermittent screen activity.

The other explanation is that it's a more serious problem with the screen - the brief activity was just a few breaths on the screen's way to its slow death. In this case, I'll have to replace the entire thing.

My country currently has travel restrictions and import restrictions, making repairs both hard and quite expensive. I can continue using the phone via the external monitor hoping that the problem goes away, but obviously this isn't a long-term solution.

I am inclined to replace the screen despite the high cost. But I have one fear - what if the damage to the display was caused by some other problem with the phone? For example, the phone heats up somewhat during normal use; I wonder if this could have affected the lifetime of the display. If this is the case, I'm looking at replacing screens on the regular.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

kingwicked

I have come across this issue on an S10+ Performance Edition. It first happened two days ago. Realizing the phone was working despite the screen not lighting up, I connected it to a monitor and was greeted with a lock icon. The screen was not being mirrored at this point, but I managed to type my pin blindly. Later I removed the pin and changed screen lock to swiping.

After about 24 hours of despair, I tried the tricks on the video linked in an earlier post on this thread. Tapping somewhat hard on the screen worked! But the problem came back within 30 minutes. No amount of tapping nor slapping seemed to work after that.

Then today, I took the phone for a walk. When I got back, the screen started working again. But after leaving it stationary for a little while, it's not working again.

I have a suspicion the cable connecting the screen to the motherboard has gotten loose. This is one way to explain the intermittent screen activity.

The other explanation is that it's a more serious problem with the screen - the brief activity was just a few breaths on the screen's way to its slow death. In this case, I'll have to replace the entire thing.

My country currently has travel restrictions and import restrictions, making repairs both hard and quite expensive. I can continue using the phone via the external monitor hoping that the problem goes away, but obviously this isn't a long-term solution.

I am inclined to replace the screen despite the high cost. But I have one fear - what if the damage to the display was caused by some other problem with the phone? For example, the phone heats up somewhat during normal use; I wonder if this could have affected the lifetime of the display. If this is the case, I'm looking at replacing screens on the regular.

I'd like to hear your opinions.
mate mine did once in feb when I started this thread and got fixed as i mentioned. And till to date i have never had a blackout.
And yes i have stopped any charger other than which came with it. I mentioned it has i believe something to do with camera app failing and constant app force close , which i think was wrong with my phone and even a stock firmware loaded again didnt help.

It strangely came back alive when i had it connected in hdmi mode and was trying to open and close camera app via watching TV screen working just fine but no display touch and calls everything worked
and by rough idea touching it on phone I tried closing camera app.

If this is your issue then it has been faced by a lot and i mean a lot of samsung note 20 Ultra users. And chance can ve that its some other hardware issue. I was dead sure i didnt drop my phone and i refused to believe that it was due to a fall because it never took any.

merovingienne

Sep 1, 2021
mate mine did once in feb when I started this thread and got fixed as i mentioned. And till to date i have never had a blackout.
And yes i have stopped any charger other than which came with it. I mentioned it has i believe something to do with camera app failing and constant app force close , which i think was wrong with my phone and even a stock firmware loaded again didnt help.

It strangely came back alive when i had it connected in hdmi mode and was trying to open and close camera app via watching TV screen working just fine but no display touch and calls everything worked
and by rough idea touching it on phone I tried closing camera app.

If this is your issue then it has been faced by a lot and i mean a lot of samsung note 20 Ultra users. And chance can ve that its some other hardware issue. I was dead sure i didnt drop my phone and i refused to believe that it was due to a fall because it never took any.

Thank you for responding @kingwicked! My problem behaves the same, except that it doesn't seem to be camera-related, and it hasn't solved itself by now (~4 days). I can see the screen via HDMI and touch the black screen to do anything - calls and all.

One thing I haven't done is updating the phone to the latest firmware - I'm currently on Android 10. I don't want to try updating to 11 right now because I'm worried the current display mirroring setup might get messed up. I'll be blind again if that happens.

I've been quite careful with the phone too. No drops or anything. The phone usually heats up tangibly but I didn't think too much of it since it's a tropical country and the phone has a powerful chipset.

Anyway, I think I'll need to buy another phone for the time being. Repair parts are in short supply and the cost of replacing the display is barely below getting a second-hand S10+ 😶

kingwicked

Thank you for responding @kingwicked! My problem behaves the same, except that it doesn't seem to be camera-related, and it hasn't solved itself by now (~4 days). I can see the screen via HDMI and touch the black screen to do anything - calls and all.

One thing I haven't done is updating the phone to the latest firmware - I'm currently on Android 10. I don't want to try updating to 11 right now because I'm worried the current display mirroring setup might get messed up. I'll be blind again if that happens.

I've been quite careful with the phone too. No drops or anything. The phone usually heats up tangibly but I didn't think too much of it since it's a tropical country and the phone has a powerful chipset.

Anyway, I think I'll need to buy another phone for the time being. Repair parts are in short supply and the cost of replacing the display is barely below getting a second-hand S10+ 😶
this happened wih me on android 10. i updated via dex to ho in recovery and then via odin immediately. And never again happened on Android 11.

Heating is normal if its exynos model inhave exynos and it heats up when playing games or even if you reboot twice.

Lets say it happened due to Andorid 10 which no one knows why it happens. And you change screen for 300 dollars. And it again God forbid again happenson that screen as well because maybe it wasnt the display that was malfunctioning.

The repair guys are THUGS. they dont leave a chance to drain money from people in such situations. if you have warranty claiming it would be a better option and getting it checked from Reliable guy who is not too greedy or direct Samsung

Last edited:

brokennote20display

Sep 15, 2021
I also have this problem. I've barely taken my Note 20 Ultra 5G outside since I've owned it. Only factory chargers, and never dropped or wet. My screen went black yesterday. I could almost make out some of the display by turning the brightness all the way up. I wasted about 10 hours on it. Then it came back on suddenly. Tonight, it broke again while typing a sms. I'm so mad at Samsung. I've owned every flagship, but this will be my last. This phone was a step backwards from the Note 10 and even the 9. The fingerprint sensor was a nightmare for me, and I hate the camera :(

william-johnson

Dec 25, 2007
Reading these posts is actually worrying.... to think you've paid$) $1,300 for a device that picks and chooses when it wants to work or not? Absolutely shocking!

Raid3n__pt

Nov 2, 2021
Got the same problem.
While watching a youtube video the screen got black and never came on again.
Tried every method on the internet nothing works.
I think this is related to the wi fi conectivity and to updates as the phone began having wi fi isues and disconecting it from internet after the latest updates.
I conected it trough usb c via hdmi but cant unlock the phone even using a keyboard and mouse in the hub.
Via pc it isnt recognized by any program like dex , smart switch.

This is just stupid, i bougth the phone in wondamobile as it was cheaper 200 euros and was the snapdragon version but now if its the screen its a 400 euros problem.

Attachments

• 20211103_031437.jpg
    20211103_031437.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 178

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have exactly the same issue. I was typing on whatsapp when suddenly screen get black. Notifications were ok, voice commands too. Touchscreen ok, I could use it normally when using my TV as screen with HDMI cable or with my notebook, when connected to windows or even Dex.

I already flashed fresh stock Android R rom and my display is still dead.

Tried to tap, slap, shake (I can her some noise next to camera module when shaking). I'm draining battery now with some apps that also vibrate phone. Display is still dead.

I live in Manaus/Brazil and repair centers are not working until March 23 because of Sars-CoV2. And my knox is tripped. It would cost a lot If I have to replace display or even the phone, since they probably will say it's no longer covered by warranty.

Were tou opening and closing the camera while mirroring screen? or on blind?

It seems in your case, the display went back to normal as strange as it turned off.

Could you please share the mentioned youtube video?

Hope I have that lucky as well.

Sorry for the late reply mate. The Scenario when display got back alive was.

1. My phone was connected via HDMI to TV in Mirror mode (Not Dex Mode). I also had mouse and a keypad connected since i am using Samsung Dex pad which came with my old note 9

I have from day 1have doubts about the stock camera app on my Note 20 Ultra. The app misbehaved from ranging to camera fail, and force closes on Android 10. That why i did below next

2. I forced close camera app , cleared its data and then while watching on Tv
    i placed my finger on Camera icon and repeated opened it and closed it with back key.
    since the display on phone was off so i used Tv for help
    BUT physically doing the action on phone with fingers not with mouse on screen via mirroring

3. while i was repeatedly opening and closing app by touching the display with finger suddenly i saw camera app asking me for location tags pop up on display and from that time onward there has been no issue and the display is working as nothing wrong happened.

I wish and hope you have resolved issue by now. Please do share your experience for others . since when i had this issue, i found very less information about it. but i saw around 15 to 20 users having such issues especially with Note 20.

Conclusion what i have understood is either its some issue with Note 20 Ultras Camera Firmware or THe Electjet 45W Charger the culprit which i bought for my Tab S7 and was using to also charge my Note 20 Ultra. I have stopped using this charger for my phone and tab and since that day only using 25W OEM charger which came with the phone. I have now this 45w Electjet charger connected via Samsung dexpad which caps its charging speed to 15W.

Here is the link of the video. and i tried all things mentioned and then after exact 24 hours
    the display came alive back when doing activities i mentioned above. and i have no link with the guy or channel who posted this video. I was just trying everything to bring life to my dead display .

PS: i had only 5 percent belief in this video . i dont know what worked
    i had prepared my mind for the300$ plus panel display replacement.
    i just read two recent more comments which state they got their phone working back.
    Do read the comments posted as there might be some more clarity of things to try.

(Please Apply reasonable pressure on screen when trying these actions as you might break the Display)
    Worked! Slapping it around and massaging it with reboot. Who knew Smack My ***** up! - The Prodigy was referring to modern phone fix'n.
    I registered here just to say "Thank you" OP. The option with clicking the camera app instantly fixed the BSoD for me. The same scenario done as in video (even with the fridge). All the steps with dex and "link to windows" done also, nothing helped. But then I found your advice about tapping and closing the camera app via dex. That worked the same moment I opened the camera for the second time. This must be in the official HOWTO list in the manual :) THANKS AGAIN!
    After around 24 hours ...😇:eek::eek:

of soft reseting , stock firmware 11 install . and slapping and tapping and massaging, connecting to tv via hdmi in mirror and dex mode. my phone was in black screen of death.

everything was working. but no display. i can say that becauee in dex mode i used phome dsplay touchscreen and even spen was Workiing but no display.

last thing i was doing when display came back to life after tapping slapping soft reboots i was opening camera app and closimg and opening it multiple times. and i saw at same time display gettimg back.

when i saw a video on youtube telling to do above steps. i thought man he is joking. but literally something out of above worked

So i pray 🙏 you dont get this dreadful encounter. it just saved me $400 of screen replacment which i had made up my mind on. and i coildnt go today because it was Sunday.

if this happens to you do try this before a repair
    I updated the phone as you suggested @kingwicked . At first nothing changed - screen did not light up. But then a couple of days later it started working and has worked well over the last 6 months.

So if someone is stuck in this situation in Android 10, UPDATE YOUR PHONE ASAP.
    Congrats , thats what happen on Android 10 with me, since my phone started working its been 2 years almost not even a single time it has happened again Thank God. 😀