• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Fixed v15.1] Dont install Magisk v15.0 on Galaxy S8 (Exynos)

Search This thread

imPRAGMA

Dec 10, 2017
I can confirm it does NOT work like it should for Galaxy S8 (Exynos European).

Steps I have taken:
- Uninstalled Magisk
- Recovered to a 2 month old TWRP backup with Magisk uninstalled.
- Tried installing v15.0 by flashing in TWRP.
- Freezes on carrier screen (Waited atleast 15 minutes)
- Still frozen.
- Recovered back to before I installed v15.0 and then installed v14.0 the same exact way.
- Got to lock screen within 30 seconds.

There is DEFINITELY some issues with v15.0 for Galaxy S8 (Exynos) and I advise using it for now.

Fixed on v15.1, thanks dev!

Last edited:

FallenAngelII

Jun 29, 2015
I'm on S8+ Batman ROM and my phone gets stuck on the Samsung logo screen. I'll have to reflash everything. Ugh. That'll teach me to update when the app asks me to.

DaleSwanson

Dec 7, 2017
Upgrading from Magisk v14 to v15 caused a bootloop on my A520F with Nougat. What have you done to get out of boot loop? I tried installing v14 and uninstalling Magisk, but neither seem to have made a difference.

imPRAGMA

Dec 10, 2017
What did you do to get v15.1 to work? I installed v15 and it caused a boot loop, v14 didn't seem to change anything. Just did v15.1 and now it's just hanging on the first screen (Samsung Galaxy A5, not the pulsing Samsung screen I've had it hang on before). I've never seen this before.

From what I can tell, your Boot Image is screwed. Did you backup when your phone was booting? If so, use magisk uninstaller, clear dalvik/cache, use recovery just the boot image from it and clear dalvik/cache then reboot and let it load to homescreen, u now have no magisk, now reboot into recovery, install 15.1 and reboot and you should get past all the screens within minutes. Took me total like 1-2 mins to get to homescreen.

DaleSwanson

Dec 7, 2017
From what I can tell, your Boot Image is screwed. Did you backup when your phone was booting? If so, use magisk uninstaller, clear dalvik/cache, use recovery just the boot image from it and clear dalvik/cache then reboot and let it load to homescreen, u now have no magisk, now reboot into recovery, install 15.1 and reboot and you should get past all the screens within minutes. Took me total like 1-2 mins to get to homescreen.

Thanks. It looks like the only backup I have though is of /System, /Recovery, and /EFS. I don't have a working /Boot backed up. Is there anyway I can get one from somewhere else? Or wipe it and start fresh?

imPRAGMA

Dec 10, 2017
Thanks. It looks like the only backup I have though is of /System, /Recovery, and /EFS. I don't have a working /Boot backed up. Is there anyway I can get one from somewhere else? Or wipe it and start fresh?

Im not too sure, but maybe you can do a FULL backup of what you have now, install fresh, backup Boot Image only, recovery your full broken backup, and recover Boot Image == profit??

Reactions: DaleSwanson

DaleSwanson

Dec 7, 2017
Im not too sure, but maybe you can do a FULL backup of what you have now, install fresh, backup Boot Image only, recovery your full broken backup, and recover Boot Image == profit??

That's a good idea, thanks. What exactly do you mean by install fresh? Stock image sideloaded via Odin? Do you have a good source for the right images for this phone?

imPRAGMA

Dec 10, 2017
That's a good idea, thanks. What exactly do you mean by install fresh? Stock image sideloaded via Odin? Do you have a good source for the right images for this phone?

https://sammobile.com but its free speed is insanely slow, I accidentally got OEM Unlock disabled so now my firmware is FRP locked so ive been downloading stock for ages now... :/ around 35 mins left, downloading for total of like 2 hours (capped at 300kbps)

Reactions: DaleSwanson

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

https://sammobile.com but its free speed is insanely slow, I accidentally got OEM Unlock disabled so now my firmware is FRP locked so ive been downloading stock for ages now... :/ around 35 mins left, downloading for total of like 2 hours (capped at 300kbps)