• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Fixed v15.1] Dont install Magisk v15.0 on Galaxy S8 (Exynos)

Search This thread

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I thought europan Samsung got unlocked bootloaders .

In developer option is the option - Unlock OEM . Turning this on wipes my current data ?

The bootloader might be unlockable, yes, but it won't be unlocked from the start. Enabling Unlock OEM doesn't in itself wipe anything, but only allows the bootloader to be unlocked. When you then unlock it, your data will be wiped.

Thomass30

Jan 26, 2018
thanks for quick replies.
I thought this Samsung G995F has already unlocked bootloader.
How do you know it isnt unlocked from the start ?
The previous verions od Samsung i had S4, S6Edge has unlocked booloaders from beginning. (I have european version)

Didgeridoohan

Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
thanks for quick replies.
I thought this Samsung G995F has already unlocked bootloader.
How do you know it isnt unlocked from the start ?
The previous verions od Samsung i had S4, S6Edge has unlocked booloaders from beginning. (I have european version)

That does not sound right... And not at all like Samsung. :laugh:

You have to make a distinction between the bootloader being unlockable and it being unlocked from the get go. Two very different things. The bootloader pretty much always ships locked, that's simply a security feature.

Then there are OEMs that make sure that the bootloader can't even be unlocked (read: Samsung). But this is usually mainly on USA released devices.

Thomass30

Jan 26, 2018
I understand the differences between unlocked bootloader from factory and bootloader which could be unlock.
But as I said previous Samsung S4 and S6 Edge, got unlocked bootloader from the beginning.
I didnt unlock them and that would be necessary if they was locked because I installed TWRP on them.

Didgeridoohan

Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I understand the differences between unlocked bootloader from factory and bootloader which could be unlock.
But as I said previous Samsung S4 and S6 Edge, got unlocked bootloader from the beginning.
I didnt unlock them and that would be necessary if they was locked because I installed TWRP on them.

Cool! Doesn't at all sound like something Samsung would do though... :p

But, I don't do Samsung, so I wouldn't really know. :laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks. It looks like the only backup I have though is of /System, /Recovery, and /EFS. I don't have a working /Boot backed up. Is there anyway I can get one from somewhere else? Or wipe it and start fresh?

Im not too sure, but maybe you can do a FULL backup of what you have now, install fresh, backup Boot Image only, recovery your full broken backup, and recover Boot Image == profit??
    That's a good idea, thanks. What exactly do you mean by install fresh? Stock image sideloaded via Odin? Do you have a good source for the right images for this phone?

https://sammobile.com but its free speed is insanely slow, I accidentally got OEM Unlock disabled so now my firmware is FRP locked so ive been downloading stock for ages now... :/ around 35 mins left, downloading for total of like 2 hours (capped at 300kbps)