Fixing to make a decision on my tab

Search This thread

tbone22

Mar 13, 2008
B.F.E.
I have a tab 3 7.0 and need the OTG ability for gaming, I am debating on getting another tablet and getting rid of this one. I am currently looking at either a tab 3 8.0 or nexus 7. The nexus would be a no brainer except for the lack of a sd card slot. I know you can use the cable and hook up a external drive but that would be combersome. So I guess I need to know if there is any possibility of the tab 3 7.0 getting the ability to use OTG or should I look into getting another one.

Also would the Nexus be a better choice or the 8.0 tab. Both are about the same price and comparable they both have their strong points. Larger screen available internal sd card vs better resolution and quicker access to upgrades. I have a GS4 as a phone and like the Samsung.

deepsouth06

Aug 2, 2009
McAllen, Tx
I have a tab 3 7.0 and need the OTG ability for gaming, I am debating on getting another tablet and getting rid of this one. I am currently looking at either a tab 3 8.0 or nexus 7. The nexus would be a no brainer except for the lack of a sd card slot. I know you can use the cable and hook up a external drive but that would be combersome. So I guess I need to know if there is any possibility of the tab 3 7.0 getting the ability to use OTG or should I look into getting another one.

Also would the Nexus be a better choice or the 8.0 tab. Both are about the same price and comparable they both have their strong points. Larger screen available internal sd card vs better resolution and quicker access to upgrades. I have a GS4 as a phone and like the Samsung.

This isnt the response you were looking for but what does OTG mean. Just got the tab and not really enjoying the preformance with the Iron Man game.

roninep

Jun 26, 2010
Sunny Tampa, Florida
Im no expert either, but I had the Asus Nexus 7 32gb before I had my Galaxy Tab 3 8.

I love removable media. 32gb filled up fast with music and movies. It wasn't that huge a deal,
but now that I have the Tab 3 I feel better and roomier...

I had OTG with my Nexus and it was great and worked perfectly. I was not aware I could not do the
same with the Tab 3. Ill look into it. The OTG came in handy once in awhile. Not a deal breaker but nice
to have.

Hands down, the 7" screen of the Nexus isn't even close to the 8" of the Tab 3. I feel like I have
the full use of the screen with the Tab, while the Nexus had bigger borders. Its more enjoyable with the
bigger screen. Seems clearer and more vibrant.

Speed felt the same. I ROM'd both, and they were equal with APKs and mods and such, so honestly neither one
was better than the other in real world use. Im sure benchmarks and quadrant scores might say different
but it all seemed the same to me. Battery life seemed the same too, but since I never drained the battery
entirely in a day, I was always able to easily recharge both when needed.

I had the Nexus 7 for a year, and the Tab 3 for a month now. Both were great, but I feel like I got a nice
worthwhile upgrade with the Tab 3 8.

Just my pennies worth. Hope it helps

EDIT: I know my signature and my devices make it look like Im a Samsung fanboy, but it only turned out that way in the
last few months. Ive had them all, and all different brands over the last few years. If someone makes something better
I have no issue with switching...

From what I can understand, no. Don't take me as the final answer though I am no expert.

Sent from my SM-T210 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

tbone22

Mar 13, 2008
B.F.E.
Im no expert either, but I had the Asus Nexus 7 32gb before I had my Galaxy Tab 3 8.

I love removable media. 32gb filled up fast with music and movies. It wasn't that huge a deal,
but now that I have the Tab 3 I feel better and roomier...

I had OTG with my Nexus and it was great and worked perfectly. I was not aware I could not do the
same with the Tab 3. Ill look into it. The OTG came in handy once in awhile. Not a deal breaker but nice
to have.

Hands down, the 7" screen of the Nexus isn't even close to the 8" of the Tab 3. I feel like I have
the full use of the screen with the Tab, while the Nexus had bigger borders. Its more enjoyable with the
bigger screen. Seems clearer and more vibrant.

Speed felt the same. I ROM'd both, and they were equal with APKs and mods and such, so honestly neither one
was better than the other in real world use. Im sure benchmarks and quadrant scores might say different
but it all seemed the same to me. Battery life seemed the same too, but since I never drained the battery
entirely in a day, I was always able to easily recharge both when needed.

I had the Nexus 7 for a year, and the Tab 3 for a month now. Both were great, but I feel like I got a nice
worthwhile upgrade with the Tab 3 8.

Just my pennies worth. Hope it helps

EDIT: I know my signature and my devices make it look like Im a Samsung fanboy, but it only turned out that way in the
last few months. Ive had them all, and all different brands over the last few years. If someone makes something better
I have no issue with switching...

Thanks that is what I was looking for. By the way the tab 3 8 does have OTG capabilities they even sell the cable on Samsung website for the 8.

roninep

Jun 26, 2010
Sunny Tampa, Florida
I can confirm that OTG works on the Tab 3 8.
Im rooted using Fast Dreams ROM with the Galatab kernel.
I used Stickmount 2.3.1 from the Playstore also.
And just got a normal OTG cable from a generic website (it was NOT a Samsung cable).
I didn't do anything else.
Good luck

Great. Didn't know that. I'll check out and confirm the otg tonight. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

faria

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Feb 24, 2006
Jersey
I can confirm that OTG works on the Tab 3 8.
Im rooted using Fast Dreams ROM with the Galatab kernel.
I used Stickmount 2.3.1 from the Playstore also.
And just got a normal OTG cable from a generic website (it was NOT a Samsung cable).
I didn't do anything else.
Good luck
I can also confirm that the tab 3 8 supports otg out of the box without any mods, also tab 2 7 support s otg.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OTG means on the go it is the ability to plug a USB device into the charging port of your phone. Ie a mouse, keyboard, flash drive or in my case a psi or xbox controller.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone