• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flash always lit?

Search This thread

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
This is most likely the heart rate monitor. There is currently an issue with Google Fit and the S6 which causes the heart rate monitor to stay on. The only solution st this point is to uninstall Google Fit until Google releases an update that fixes the app.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
This is most likely the heart rate monitor. There is currently an issue with Google Fit and the S6 which causes the heart rate monitor to stay on. The only solution st this point is to uninstall Google Fit until Google releases an update that fixes the app.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure Google Fit is the only possible source for this problem.

I have the same problem as OP. I got my S6 (non-edge, 32GB) about 24 hours ago and last night noticed the faint yellow glow on the back of the unit. I haven't been impressed by the battery life (admittedly a very limited time with it so far) - but this could explain the less than stellar battery life so far.

I don't have Google Fit installed (in fact if I go to the play store, I get a message saying that it's not compatible with this version"). S-Health is disabled too.

One other thing, when I use the flashlight feature, I notice that the light isn't nearly as bright as on the S3 - not sure if this is relevant, it is the same LED.

I rebooted the system, and even turned it off, the faint light stays on. If the unit wasn't sealed I'd pull out the battery just to confirm this light can go out :-/

verboten

Feb 15, 2010
Normal
I have this issue on mine as well. I first noticed it when I went to charge my phone over night next to my bed. I lay the phone on its face so the LED notification doesn't show. I noticed a slight glow from the flash diode. I thought at first it only happened when I was charging my phone. Today, while at work, I powered down my phone and again noticed the light. For me, its always on. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile and they are going to over night me a replacement. I mention this thread to the T-Mobile support rep and she looked it up while I was on the phone with her. My friend's S6 does not have this issue, so not all of them are having this. I encourage everyone to go into a dark room and check your flash diode.

Reactions: Alarand

yaddam205

Nov 4, 2014
I have this issue on mine as well. I first noticed it when I went to charge my phone over night next to my bed. I lay the phone on its face so the LED notification doesn't show. I noticed a slight glow from the flash diode. I thought at first it only happened when I was charging my phone. Today, while at work, I powered down my phone and again noticed the light. For me, its always on. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile and they are going to over night me a replacement. I mention this thread to the T-Mobile support rep and she looked it up while I was on the phone with her. My friend's S6 does not have this issue, so not all of them are having this. I encourage everyone to go into a dark room and check your flash diode.

Just dropping into say I also have the issue . 32GB, Standard S6, T-Mobile. I will call them and get a new one overnighted as well.

demmo81

Jun 24, 2011
Manana bahrain
Sorry to mention this and I don't mean any disrespect but there is a small plastic cover over the camera fnt rhw rate monitor did u peal it off ?? It should be OK now

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
Sorry to mention this and I don't mean any disrespect but there is a small plastic cover over the camera fnt rhw rate monitor did u peal it off ?? It should be OK now

No disrespect taken, man those are hard to get off (thanks for confirming this, it looked like there were).

However, that might explain the flashlight function being a bit dimmer than on the S3, but it wouldn't explain the constant light source itself.

Reactions: demmo81

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
How can we possibly check this in store where there is substantial amount of light anywhere. I'd definitely check my S6 in store for this.

I think it would be difficult to see unless you ask them to let you into a dark storage room without windows :) That's how I can verify mine is still doing that during the day, though at night when I wake up with the phone next to me, the glow is comparatively quite substantial.

Plus, you'll have to wait about a week before you can see them in the store.

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
I have two S6's and can confirm both of mine has this dim lit light only noticeable in the very dark.

The problem with us getting the device early is we don't know if this is hardware or software problem., that might get noticed and fixed with an update. Many say after the actual launch Samsung/Tmobile pushes an update. We can assume they at least will to fix the cell standby draining battery with VOLTE issue. Plus how many will we have to get shipped to us before we get one that doesn't do this, very different than being able to have the associate check it in the back office with lights off.
Can anyone that did get a replacement comment on this.

poweroutlet

Jul 28, 2010
I have two S6's and can confirm both of mine has this dim lit light only noticeable in the very dark.

The problem with us getting the device early is we don't know if this is hardware or software problem., that might get noticed and fixed with an update. Many say after the actual launch Samsung/Tmobile pushes an update. We can assume they at least will to fix the cell standby draining battery with VOLTE issue. Plus how many will we have to get shipped to us before we get one that doesn't do this, very different than being able to have the associate check it in the back office with lights off.
Can anyone that did get a replacement comment on this.

Mine is doing it too. If it is indeed the case that not all GS6s are doing this, that does make me concerned that somehow my unit is defective. I'm wondering if I should just hold onto it hoping that Samsung will fix it with a software update or if I should try yo exchange it.

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
Mine is doing it too. If it is indeed the case that not all GS6s are doing this, that does make me concerned that somehow my unit is defective. I'm wondering if I should just hold onto it hoping that Samsung will fix it with a software update or if I should try yo exchange it.
I spoke with a tmobile rep. He said online orders get 20 days return exchange from the day of delivery not purchase. He also said there should be an update on a day or two after the official April 10th launch. I told him to document my account that I called about this issue. He said I could get another (two) overnight to me, but there's no way to guarantee if the new ones won't have this.

How come more people are not jumping in here to say theirs is doing it too. If its just us few maybe we do have a problem. But giving it's only noticeable in the dark maybe they haven't seen it on theirs?

Sent from my SM-G900T using AllianceR(●)m

Reactions: poweroutlet

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
I spoke with a tmobile rep. He said online orders get 20 days return exchange from the day of delivery not purchase. He also said there should be an update on a day or two after the official April 10th launch. I told him to document my account that I called about this issue. He said I could get another (two) overnight to me, but there's no way to guarantee if the new ones won't have this.

How come more people are not jumping in here to say theirs is doing it too. If its just us few maybe we do have a problem. But giving it's only noticeable in the dark maybe they haven't seen it on theirs?

I think you are right, unless you have the phone next to you at night you probably won't notice it., still odd, I would have expected others to notice it too. And, even as dim it is, it can't help with battery life. I hope it's a software issue and can be easily patched that way.

Roflwafflez

Nov 13, 2012
Edit: just noticed tonight that my phone does in fact have the LED issue. It's odd because I spent some time yesterday in the dark looking for the problem and it was no where to be found. Been laying in bed messing with my phone while it's charging, decided to flip it over and low and behold, dimly lit flash on :/.

-Matt

Last edited:

poweroutlet

Jul 28, 2010
Mine does not seem to be having this issue. I checked it out last night in a completely dark room and couldn't see anything. To see if I could get an idea of what it looked like though, I turned on the torch for about 20 seconds, then turned it off and looked again and it did replicate the faint glow that it seems most people are speaking of, however it faded away in about 30 seconds.

-Matt

This is making me think some S6s just have this defect where the LED never turns off and some don't. I think it might be best just to return my S6 and repurchase the phone after its official release date. I think these earlier phones might be more prone to defects. My gut feeling is that this is something that won't be fixed via software. I don't think exchanging the phone for a new one will help too much given that so many other S6s also have the issue, you have a good chance that the new phone you get will also be defective.

Reactions: tenxo

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
This is making me think some S6s just have this defect where the LED never turns off and some don't..

My guess is it's a hardware issue (perhaps they used a different supplier/component for this part) since all of the phones are presumably running the same software (some with the OTA update that was waiting from T-Mobile - like myself, others perhaps without it). If it can be patched with software is another issue.

Actually, perhaps it would be useful to know if those experiencing the problem have applied the OTA update and those without haven't. My hunch is it won't be a factor, but curious, so people reporting should state their situation.

For my non-edge S6 (black 32 GB) I have the OTA and my flash stays on dimly all the time.

Last edited:

Alarand

May 10, 2013
I noticed this last night and I thought it could have just been some sort of burn in from using the flashlight. (64gb regular tmo S6)

It's basically impossible to tell with any sort light around whether or not this is happening, even just with residual light, but mine does seem to be dimly lit in a pitch black room.

Could it have something to do with the selfie feature on the camera? Using the heart rate monitor as a picture button, that is.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine also has this. It is extremely dim. Even in a dark room I had to really look for it. Very weird..
    And this is my issue with this, making it harder to tell if is hardware or software. One of mine the glow is very very hard to see, but it is there (white 64), but the other one is much brighter and takes no effort at all to see (black 64) was even able to get a pic of it in a pitch black room...credit to the S6 low light performance. There was no light source, no window, for that pic. Maybe hard to understand but that is awfully bright and the phone had been powered of for 30 mins. uploadfromtaptalk1428297580520.jpg

Okay so my flash is still dimly lit after having the phone powered down for 2 hours...

Really weird.

edit: just called t-mobile. The rep I talked to sounded very suspicious of what I was trying to explain to him as if I was making this up. I hope I am just imagining this stupid dim LED.

He said I'd have to take it into the store to be examined before they would do anything, which is weird considering I ordered it online, and others are claiming to have requested replacements over the phone?

@yaddam205 posted in this androidcentral thread saying samsung knows about this issue and are addressing it in a firmware update. Can anyone else who has spoken to samsung confirm/deny this?
    And this is my issue with this, making it harder to tell if is hardware or software. One of mine the glow is very very hard to see, but it is there (white 64), but the other one is much brighter and takes no effort at all to see (black 64) was even able to get a pic of it in a pitch black room...credit to the S6 low light performance. There was no light source, no window, for that pic. Maybe hard to understand but that is awfully bright and the phone had been powered of for 3View attachment 32476540 mins.

I couldn't get a picture of it! haha. Samsung 'smart tutored' my phone to supposedly attempt to resolve the issue. They loaded the camera app to check the settings and of course I was peering down deep into the flash diode. No doubt whoever was on the other end looking at my camera app got a big laugh gazing at my huge nose.

Then they told me to hold it to a mirror so I derped and aimed at my monitor for like 30 secs cause I misread 'mirror'. Terribly awkward. Then the camera didn't even manage to pick up the dim light so I totally came across as nuts... Probably why I couldn't get any actual helpful info out of the guy. Just told me to take it to tmobile so they can check for a potential hardware defect.

Thanks for the picture though.

Edit: my addition to the tiny s6 pilot light club
    Okay so my flash is still dimly lit after having the phone powered down for 2 hours...

Really weird.

edit: just called t-mobile. The rep I talked to sounded very suspicious of what I was trying to explain to him as if I was making this up. I hope I am just imagining this stupid dim LED.

He said I'd have to take it into the store to be examined before they would do anything, which is weird considering I ordered it online, and others are claiming to have requested replacements over the phone?

@yaddam205 posted in this androidcentral thread saying samsung knows about this issue and are addressing it in a firmware update. Can anyone who has spoken to samsung confirm/deny this?
    @yaddam205
    Just got off the phone with T-Mo and Samsung. They do know about the issue, and apparently they have a fix already. I have to go to a bestbuy with a Samsung SWAS, and they can update it. I asked about doing it myself, but he said it's not available on Samsung's website yet. I'll head to a BB tomorrow and hopefully walk away with a fix.

*Update*

Went to BB to get the update. The samsung bloke did know of the issue, however the software update was not pushed to him yet. He also alerted me to another issue affecting only T-Mobile phones. Apparently 20% of the S6 devices have scratches from the manufacturing plant UNDER the screen. He showed me, and I have two long scratches about 1inch or so underneath the glass. Called T-Mo and they are sending me a replacement.
    @Alarand thanks for posting the link to these post.