Flash always lit?

Search This thread

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
My s6 64gb doesn't have this problem but my wife's S6 edge 32gb has this problem

Edit: I discovered that my S6 has this issue too
That's probably why more people are not saying it, as some are very dimly lit, like one of mine, and others are bright and easy to notice like my second one. That's why I fear getting a replacement might still have it. Some people have said they got replacements, but have not reported back if the new one fixed it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AllianceR(●)m

wund3rground

Sep 13, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Honestly, it really doesn't bother me. It's not having an impact on battery as far as I can tell, and I'm afraid a replacement would have some other issue. Mine is perfect aside from the LED. I'm just gonna wait it out.

verboten

Feb 15, 2010
Normal
That's probably why more people are not saying it, as some are very dimly lit, like one of mine, and others are bright and easy to notice like my second one. That's why I fear getting a replacement might still have it. Some people have said they got replacements, but have not reported back if the new one fixed it.

I got my replacement yesterday. The new one still has the light issue and a loose home button. I give up. It really sucks because my coworker got his at the same time and does not have the light issue at all.

Reactions: tenxo

Alarand

May 10, 2013
I got my replacement yesterday. The new one still has the light issue and a loose home button. I give up. It really sucks because my coworker got his at the same time and does not have the light issue at all.

Wow, that's messed up. Really hoping they deliver with a software fix.

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
[/COLOR]
Does the glowing fade away after 45 minutes or so. I was playing with the flashlight app on my S3 and noticed that the LED would have a faint glow for about 45 minutes after turning it off. It's almost like part of the LED is luminescent and retains a glow for a while.

No, it doesn't fade, so it's powered at some low level. Anytime I've woken up in the middle of the night (in a dark room) the LED is clearly visible/glowing.

Last edited:

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
Loose button, how so?

Reactions: Alarand

BBs19

Jul 18, 2012
Just receieved my S6 White 32gig.
The LED dim problem is also present. But honestly it doesn't bother me at all.

So before i even started the camera, used wireless charger or something else, i went in a dark room and checked it, yes after first boot it was there immediately.

But as long as it doesn't affect the battery-life too much, i might even see it as an feature to find your phone in the dark :p

Alarand

May 10, 2013
Just receieved my S6 White 32gig.
The LED dim problem is also present. But honestly it doesn't bother me at all.

So before i even started the camera, used wireless charger or something else, i went in a dark room and checked it, yes after first boot it was there immediately.

But as long as it doesn't affect the battery-life too much, i might even see it as an feature to find your phone in the dark :p

I don't know much about the life of the kind of LEDs they use for the flash but I feel like it's not good for it to be turned on for long periods of time regardless of how bright it is. I could be completely wrong but that's the only reason I'm worried. I don't want a broken flash in a few months time or something.

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
I did, and no, it was not lit until I powered it on. Shut it down over night, was still glow the next day.

that just gets stranger ...
Indeed. I have two replacements coming in but this is just weird.

I do remember when I first opened mines up the battery was at 62%. It's build date is 3/20/15, I got it 3/30. I think if it was on from the beginning, and draining power, the phones would be completely dead by the time they got in hand 10-20 days later.

So once it's powered on something is keeping it on?!?! Then from your report it must be software, or it would come out the box on, or dead from being drained.

The rep that handled my replacements today, said he thought it sounded like hardware and he had been hearing about the issue on the internet, but I was his first actual customer to call in about it. He said the out of box update only made improvements to the voice and audio quality, and fingerprint scanner. It had nothing to do with led, and there nothing he could currently see in the system about an update, or led fix.

Last edited:

BBs19

Jul 18, 2012
So i received my Galaxy S6 (T-Mobile Germany) today, before using any flash or camera, i went in a dark room and checked if i have the dim light too. Yes i do, not that visible though. It doesn't bother me, but let's wait what Samsung says about it. As long as it doesn't affect batterylife, LED life, i see it more like a feature than a bug :p

D

Deleted member 2747343

i have the tmobile black gs6 and i dont have this issue

tenxo

Feb 12, 2006
Ohio
I did, and no, it was not lit until I powered it on. Shut it down over night, was still glow the next day.
On your new replacement did you check it before or after the update? I think before a you answered right after you powered it on, but just to be clear.

levon9

Apr 3, 2015
i have the tmobile black gs6 and i dont have this issue

I just got my replacement S6 32GB non-edege and this one doesn't have the flash/led always lit problem like the one I'm replacing. I just spent the last 2 hours setting up apps and configuring .. ugh. I'm going to hold on to both for a few days to make sure the replacement works well, esp with re to battery life etc, and then send back the first one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fruktsallad

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine also has this. It is extremely dim. Even in a dark room I had to really look for it. Very weird..
    And this is my issue with this, making it harder to tell if is hardware or software. One of mine the glow is very very hard to see, but it is there (white 64), but the other one is much brighter and takes no effort at all to see (black 64) was even able to get a pic of it in a pitch black room...credit to the S6 low light performance. There was no light source, no window, for that pic. Maybe hard to understand but that is awfully bright and the phone had been powered of for 30 mins. uploadfromtaptalk1428297580520.jpg

Okay so my flash is still dimly lit after having the phone powered down for 2 hours...

Really weird.

edit: just called t-mobile. The rep I talked to sounded very suspicious of what I was trying to explain to him as if I was making this up. I hope I am just imagining this stupid dim LED.

He said I'd have to take it into the store to be examined before they would do anything, which is weird considering I ordered it online, and others are claiming to have requested replacements over the phone?

@yaddam205 posted in this androidcentral thread saying samsung knows about this issue and are addressing it in a firmware update. Can anyone else who has spoken to samsung confirm/deny this?
    And this is my issue with this, making it harder to tell if is hardware or software. One of mine the glow is very very hard to see, but it is there (white 64), but the other one is much brighter and takes no effort at all to see (black 64) was even able to get a pic of it in a pitch black room...credit to the S6 low light performance. There was no light source, no window, for that pic. Maybe hard to understand but that is awfully bright and the phone had been powered of for 3View attachment 32476540 mins.

I couldn't get a picture of it! haha. Samsung 'smart tutored' my phone to supposedly attempt to resolve the issue. They loaded the camera app to check the settings and of course I was peering down deep into the flash diode. No doubt whoever was on the other end looking at my camera app got a big laugh gazing at my huge nose.

Then they told me to hold it to a mirror so I derped and aimed at my monitor for like 30 secs cause I misread 'mirror'. Terribly awkward. Then the camera didn't even manage to pick up the dim light so I totally came across as nuts... Probably why I couldn't get any actual helpful info out of the guy. Just told me to take it to tmobile so they can check for a potential hardware defect.

Thanks for the picture though.

Edit: my addition to the tiny s6 pilot light club
    Okay so my flash is still dimly lit after having the phone powered down for 2 hours...

Really weird.

edit: just called t-mobile. The rep I talked to sounded very suspicious of what I was trying to explain to him as if I was making this up. I hope I am just imagining this stupid dim LED.

He said I'd have to take it into the store to be examined before they would do anything, which is weird considering I ordered it online, and others are claiming to have requested replacements over the phone?

@yaddam205 posted in this androidcentral thread saying samsung knows about this issue and are addressing it in a firmware update. Can anyone who has spoken to samsung confirm/deny this?
    @yaddam205
    Just got off the phone with T-Mo and Samsung. They do know about the issue, and apparently they have a fix already. I have to go to a bestbuy with a Samsung SWAS, and they can update it. I asked about doing it myself, but he said it's not available on Samsung's website yet. I'll head to a BB tomorrow and hopefully walk away with a fix.

*Update*

Went to BB to get the update. The samsung bloke did know of the issue, however the software update was not pushed to him yet. He also alerted me to another issue affecting only T-Mobile phones. Apparently 20% of the S6 devices have scratches from the manufacturing plant UNDER the screen. He showed me, and I have two long scratches about 1inch or so underneath the glass. Called T-Mo and they are sending me a replacement.
    @Alarand thanks for posting the link to these post.