Flash Android One Firmware to Unlocked Moto X4

Search This thread
Feb 11, 2012
I have installed the rom of android one but my software channel is still reteu with what it seems that the updates will not arrive to me (now I do not have updates). Can someone confirm it ?.

Info:

Model: XT1900-7
Software variant: google_fi
Software channel: reteu
Version: 8.0.0
Security patch: December 2017
No. Compilation: OPW27.57-25-2

I was wondering if anything has changed concerning updates. Have you received either the January or February update yet? Since your bootloader was still locked I'm wondering if everything flashed but bootloader kept software channel locked. It turns out that you can actually switch software without issue. Happened to someone on a Moto z. They we're able to flash from reteu to return.

jsis83

Feb 12, 2010
Spain
Google Pixel 4a
I was wondering if anything has changed concerning updates. Have you received either the January or February update yet? Since your bootloader was still locked I'm wondering if everything flashed but bootloader kept software channel locked. It turns out that you can actually switch software without issue. Happened to someone on a Moto z. They we're able to flash from reteu to return.
I can not update ota because they do not appear. I do not know how to change the software channel.

Enviado desde mi moto x4 mediante Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2012
I can not update ota because they do not appear. I do not know how to change the software channel.

Been over 45 mins now looking all over. Some people have thoughts on what to try. Many attempts include rooting however some people have had issues with updates after rooting. I'm wondering if the software channel is actually encoded like the way an imei is. Either way it goes they say even if you unlock your bootloader software channel stays the same. Have you tried rebooting in to bootloader and using just adb to flash Oreo bootloader, fsg, and modem files separately to see the status? Is a1 booting and showing official firmware instead of modified? If it says official with a1 then it is possible the EU software channel has not either made or sent out to EU models

Reactions: jsis83

jsis83

Feb 12, 2010
Spain
Google Pixel 4a
Been over 45 mins now looking all over. Some people have thoughts on what to try. Many attempts include rooting however some people have had issues with updates after rooting. I'm wondering if the software channel is actually encoded like the way an imei is. Either way it goes they say even if you unlock your bootloader software channel stays the same. Have you tried rebooting in to bootloader and using just adb to flash Oreo bootloader, fsg, and modem files separately to see the status? Is a1 booting and showing official firmware instead of modified? If it says official with a1 then it is possible the EU software channel has not either made or sent out to EU models
I just installed the rom as explained in this post. I do not have the knowledge, nor enough time to do tests. I have been investigating and I have not found anyone who has been able to change the software channel. [emoji17]

sleeptab

May 22, 2014
Hi
I have locked bootloader indian version Moto x4 can someone plz help me can i install android one version if yes how to do it start to end process.
Locked bootloader is no problem, just follow this link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75377622&postcount=4
However, no OTA Security Patches for your device (at least as long bootloader is locked) for the moment.

Does anybody know if it's possible to install OTA-Updates with TWRP (flashing these Zips)?

Reactions: mujju85

abrfilho

Jan 3, 2018
Rio das Ostras
It's the Brazilian model? Did you flashed with unlocked bootloader? It's the updates (jan and fev) showing?

Thanks, I have the same model with locked bootloader.

Yes, it's the brazilian model, I didn't unlocked the bootloader, since it's a official firmware you don't have to unlock but because of 6 variant software channel we cannot receive any updates, retbr only supports the retail ROM.

Feb 11, 2012
Locked bootloader is no problem, just follow this link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75377622&postcount=4
However, no OTA Security Patches for your device (at least as long bootloader is locked) for the moment.

Does anybody know if it's possible to install OTA-Updates with TWRP (flashing these Zips)?

I do not believe it will be possible. I know earlier Moto x version would not do it in a non stock recovery. People on the Moto x4 version are not able to update after installing super su for root. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling stock recovery it will not update and throw out errors. So they ended up reflashing the whole firmware just for that update

Reactions: sleeptab

FuraX51

Apr 19, 2012
Somewhere
Without OTA updates it does not make sense to install the Android One rom on our X4. We will wait for a possible solution.

True. I unlocked my bootloader (XT1900-7 European model) and then install Project Fi ROM. No OTAs updates because i'm still on "reteu" canal update. I tried to relock the bootloader, and then install the ROM again, but same result. Finally, I tried to flash OTAs (Jan, Feb here) through stock recovery adb sideload method, and still no success...

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Been over 45 mins now looking all over...

I found this here, a possible way to change the software update channel through fastboot. I tried to made this way : "fastboot oem config carrier projectfi" but apparently, no effect...

Reactions: jsis83

jsis83

Feb 12, 2010
Spain
Google Pixel 4a
True. I unlocked my bootloader (XT1900-7 European model) and then install Project Fi ROM. No OTAs updates because i'm still on "reteu" canal update. I tried to relock the bootloader, and then install the ROM again, but same result. Finally, I tried to flash OTAs (Jan, Feb here) through stock recovery adb sideload method, and still no success...

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I found this here, a possible way to change the software update channel through fastboot. I tried to made this way : "fastboot oem config carrier projectfi" but apparently, no effect...

that command doesn't work.

Feb 11, 2012
Without OTA updates it does not make sense to install the Android One rom on our X4. We will wait for a possible solution.

Have you tried adding the Jan or Feb updates to your memory card, boot in stock recovery and select install update from zip in memory allocation or did you just try sideloading adb?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I have bought this phone I constantly looked around the web to see if their was a way to flash the moto x4 with android one rom. after looking around on the web I have found that the moto x and A1 version are the same phone with no difference at all. however flashing to A1 means no alexa, but I have found that the google assistant has actually been more accurate with my voice than alexa. it wasn't really going to kill me if I never found a solution considering that Motorola actually has the cleanest firmware besides Nexus/Android one. However after looking for so long someone has found a way to find a oreo android one firmware on the web. I will paste the link and that link has the mirror to download the firmware. I unlocked my bootloader before trying as a safe measure in case it didn't work and can reflash back to nougat. you may not have to do that however in my opinion better safe than sorry after spending 399 on a phone. my version is the xt1900-1. this should work for all usa models EXCEPT the amazon prime from what I can gather. i will confirm that this shows as payton_fi with official firmware status and no network issues at all. however in case of something happening i would also download official nougat build as a safe measure. The person who found the firmware made it extremely simple.

03/15/2018- As of now we have found that many have had success in flashing in different countries. HOWEVER, many have said that their software has not changed. the only variant that is receiving updates periodically is the retail united states version. if you have software channel retus, which you can find in settings-system-about phone, then you should have continuous updates. others, for example reteu do not have updates that we know. it is possible that their are just no updates for that region. I honestly do not know. however no matter which variant it is, you will be able to flash the file with or without bootloader unlocked, UNLESS it is the amazon prime version. please do not ask how to change the software channel. nobody has yet found a way to change this on any Motorola device for now.

1-download the firmware and extract to a destination on computer
    2- download the ADB and Fastboot file and extract to the firmware destination
    3- run the windows batch file with moto x4 in bootloader mode

the batch file runs all the commands without you having to type them separately. make sure you do a full wipe of data/cache and reboot and you should see the android one boot logo. I do not know if i will get the same updates like the original android one moto x4 however i don't think this really will be an issue. in theory i should be getting the updates with the rest of the android ones

xda link to firmware- https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75377622&postcount=4[/URL]
    direct link- https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=962157660013070030
    adb fastboot direct link- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PCQwxaEDHZxBG_FwNWA0ozxfRumI31zd/view

Update 8.1- someone has been able to uploade A1 8.1. confirmed working on retail moto x4. did not work on locked bootloader. adb sideload will not work. I suggest you back up data of calls, texts, pictures, videos, etc. also had issues with sdk. ended up using mfastboot v2. for some reason it kept failing with both minimal adb and platform tools from sdk. mfastboot is just like fastboo9t but commands will have to be addressed as mfastboot. example: mfastboot oem unlock. after flashing I received the may 1st update and installed without issues on unlocked bootloader. I suggest you leave your bootloader unlocked. I believe this may have been the issue in the first place.

link to A1 8.1=https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x4/how-to/android-one-8-1-fastboot-flashable-t3805009

mfastboot commands

mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    mfastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    mfastboot reboot-bootloader
    mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    mfastboot erase modemst1
    mfastboot erase modemst2
    mfastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    mfastboot flash dsp dspso.bin
    mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
    mfastboot flash boot boot.img
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    mfastboot flash system_b system_other.img
    mfastboot flash oem oem.img
    mfastboot erase carrier
    mfastboot erase userdata
    mfastboot erase ddr
    Hi people, I can flash this update today, this work well with my locked bootloader of XT1900-06.
    really have march update.

for flash, I use fastboot script ;)

Hope 8.1 update come flashable from fastboot too..

Any news with the March patch? do the otas work?

Yeah, nothing new on this topic :/
    However, a new ROM of Android 8.0.0 with March 2018 security patch is online: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939834159
    No new recovery with enabled sideload or ota.zip from SD-Card options.

Additionally, there's a line called "flashing_unlocked" in my bootloader ahead "Software Status: official". Don't know if it was there before or not, haven't ever noticed it yet.
    Yeah, nothing new on this topic :/
    However, a new ROM of Android 8.0.0 with March 2018 security patch is online: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=673956719939834159
    No new recovery with enabled sideload or ota.zip from SD-Card options.

Additionally, there's a line called "flashing_unlocked" in my bootloader ahead "Software Status: official". Don't know if it was there before or not, haven't ever noticed it yet.
    Could someone please let us know if they've had success flashing Android One on a Dual Sim variant, or specifically the XT1900-2 variant? I'm looking for an Android One phone in Australia and the XT1900-2 is the only variant that can be obtained easily.

I'm using with XT1900-6, it's a Dual SIM variant.
    Does anyone have the firmware and commands to flash back to my regular unlocked x4 software?

You're starting to develop a trend of laziness on these forums...

here...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone