• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Flash Galaxy Nexus Yakjuxw to Yakju to get OTA 4.1.1

Search This thread

ockc

Jul 21, 2012
I was running Yakjuxw 4.0.4(OTA comes from Samsung) on my GSM GNEX and couldn't wait for Samsung to push Jellybean anymore so I looked around and found this, it changes Yakjuxw(4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.0.4) to Yakju 4.0.1(OTA comes straight from Google).

Here are the steps I followed from rubiconjp's post and cleaned it up for everyone that was in my position. After the downloads, it took like less than 10min to get it on Yakju. It is super easy. No Rooting, No Custom ROMs.

Download the USB driver and firmware files to Windows.
Firmware
USB Driver
Run USB driver app in Windows, Reboot Windows
Run firmware app in Windows
Put phone in Download mode (Power off, Press Volume Down button + Power On button down until it goes to Download Mode, plug USB cable in)
Once the device is found in the firmware app, click start!

Let it finish and you are done.

When it starts back up you should setup your phone back up with all the Apps that you want before installing the OTAs. It's going to go from 4.0.2>4.0.4>4.1.1. From start to finish it took me 30-40min to get my phone back the way I want it. Good luck and enjoy. :D

leppo

Jan 31, 2012
Toronto
The original carrier for my phone (Rogers) still had it on 4.0.2, so I upgraded it immediately on receipt to yakju. Used a different method (PDAnet drivers + Nexus toolkit), but yeah... getting onto yakju is one of the best things one can start off with...

jetatx

Apr 11, 2010
Re:

I was running Yakjuxw 4.0.4(OTA comes from Samsung) on my GSM GNEX and couldn't wait for Samsung to push Jellybean anymore so I looked around and found this, it changes Yakjuxw(4.0.1, 4.0.2 and 4.0.4) to Yakju 4.0.1(OTA comes straight from Google).

Here are the steps I followed from rubiconjp's post and cleaned it up for everyone that was in my position. After the downloads, it took like less than 10min to get it on Yakju. It is super easy. No Rooting, No Custom ROMs.

Firmware
USB Driver
Put phone in Download mode (Power off, Press Volume Down button + Power On button down until it goes to Download Mode, plug USB cable in)

When it starts back up you should setup your phone back up with all the Apps that you want before installing the OTAs. It's going to go from 4.0.2>4.0.4>4.1.1. From start to finish it took me 30-40min to get my phone back the way I want it. Good luck and enjoy. :D

This is awesome. I never had the time to follow through hundreds of threads to manually switch to yakju. I like you also had yakjuxw 4.0.4 through samsung OTA. I waited patiently to get it. But a casual search on google led me to this thread. It works like a charm! My Gnex is going through 4.0.4 then 4.1.1!

As stated super easy....just note that when you plug your phone in the firmware tool will recognize your phone as a binary. (0:1) something to that nature. Then just hit start in the firmware.

Thanks!

Reactions: thakursagar

aNewNoob

Jul 2, 2012
Link Is Not Working

please provide another link for firmware, the link is not working properly, i've tried for 9-10times but no success :crying:
thank you :D

Last edited:

Vavou_g

Jul 24, 2012
Hey! :)

I'm fa Belgian girl, so sorry for my English!

I have a Galaxy Nexus too and I have the yakjuxw version... I'm quite a noob though! :confused: I'm afraid I'm going to crash my nexus and than kill myself for trying to do stuff I don't understand! :laugh:

So... My question is: In the step "Put phone in Download mode (Power off, Press Volume Down button + Power On button down until it goes to Download Mode, plug USB cable in)" does the phone need to be off or, I don't know... I just do it?! :p

Sorry for the dumb question... I'm really freaked out with this kind of stuff!

saqibniaz

Aug 9, 2010

I have a Galaxy Nexus too and I have the yakjuxw version... I'm quite a noob though! :confused: I'm afraid I'm going to crash my nexus and than kill myself for trying to do stuff I don't understand! :laugh:

So... My question is: In the step "Put phone in Download mode (Power off, Press Volume Down button + Power On button down until it goes to Download Mode, plug USB cable in)" does the phone need to be off or, I don't know... I just do it?! :p

regarding your question to put phone in download mode
1. just turn off your phone (like you normally do)
2. then press Volume down button and then press power on button while keep pressing the volume down button
3. keep pressing both the buttons until the phone starts and goes into Download Mode
4. then plug usb cable

press thanks if i helped you

mr.ven

Jul 15, 2012
those hu have problem downloading from rapidshare

those hu have problem downloading from rapidshare USe this rapidshare premium link generator : rapid8.com; worked for me, might work for you. Cheers :))

aNewNoob

Jul 2, 2012
finally able to download nd now on 4.1.1 :beer:
may be it is the easiest way to get yakju on Nexus, u made my life easy :D
Thank You :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ThaKang

Nov 6, 2010

Firmware
USB Driver

Nice thank you. Im gonna go home and try this!!

But i cant stop thinking if this will have an impact on my signal strenght or somthing else? There must be a difference in these to builds, since they have made them.

Im living in Denmark and i wonder if yakjuxw is better for something in denmark (maybe the antenna setup or something?)

I can always flash back if it doesnt work that good. ill update this post after flash to yakju :)

PS: The file from rapid share takes ages to download :-/

UPDATE: Works like a charm!! Thank you! No problems detected yet ;)

Last edited:

throbarik

Dec 2, 2010
I have an different question that I couldn't find answer for it. How can one flash the stock firmware (I mean nonyakju). Every guide mentions how to revert to stock using official images (yakju). Before flashing yakju image, can I make some backup image of the current nonyakju rom. Thanks for advice.

Reactions: toddkp

leungda

Aug 26, 2008
I have Rogers version Galaxy Nexus 4.0.2 and I have never had OTA to 4.0.4. Now, I am using this method and I updated to from 4.0.1 -> 4.0.2 -> 4.0.4 -> 4.1.1 OTA. Happy now.

boycalledgod

Jul 27, 2012
hi this might be a stupid question but how do i "Run firmware app in Windows"???
ive only got .img files after extracting and i cant mount it using daemon tools, im sure sure how to run it
thanks

mtk667

Jul 28, 2012
My Galaxy Nexus is YAKJUJP and not found in firmware app

My Galaxy Nexus is YAKJUJP and not found in firmware when in Download mode
any one help this is not working for at all . my bootloader is locked.
i have installed samsung USB drivers
i am following all steps from 2 hours but not work please help

Firmware
USB Driver

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20

My Galaxy Nexus is YAKJUJP and not found in firmware when in Download mode
any one help this is not working for at all . my bootloader is locked.
i have installed samsung USB drivers
i am following all steps from 2 hours but not work please help

Don't use shortcuts like this. Use this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Firmware
    USB Driver

regarding your question to put phone in download mode
    1. just turn off your phone (like you normally do)
    2. then press Volume down button and then press power on button while keep pressing the volume down button
    3. keep pressing both the buttons until the phone starts and goes into Download Mode
    4. then plug usb cable

press thanks if i helped you
    The driver was not working for me, so after some serching on xda i found newer driver SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1_5_6_0 and then everything was peachy :)

This is the driver i used.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956
    Re:

Firmware
    USB Driver

This is awesome. I never had the time to follow through hundreds of threads to manually switch to yakju. I like you also had yakjuxw 4.0.4 through samsung OTA. I waited patiently to get it. But a casual search on google led me to this thread. It works like a charm! My Gnex is going through 4.0.4 then 4.1.1!

As stated super easy....just note that when you plug your phone in the firmware tool will recognize your phone as a binary. (0:1) something to that nature. Then just hit start in the firmware.

Thanks!
    I have an different question that I couldn't find answer for it. How can one flash the stock firmware (I mean nonyakju). Every guide mentions how to revert to stock using official images (yakju). Before flashing yakju image, can I make some backup image of the current nonyakju rom. Thanks for advice.