• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flash international ROM to Tmobile/Metro w/ locked bootloader

Search This thread

MAJOR UPDATE: Managed to flash Global stock rom to the MetroPCS variant

Pros: Stock Oneplus and everything works
Cons: OEM unlock is still greyed out

Before you go any further:

THERE IS NO ROOT FOR THIS DEVICE WITH A LOCKED BOOTLOADER (YET). THIS THREAD IS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT AND TESTING OF METHODS TO ACHIEVE THIS.

Just got this device from MetroPCS this week and love this device. However I found out very quick that you have to be with MetroPCS for 180 days before you can get unlocked. To unlock the bootloader you have to be sim unlocked from the carrier.

This thread will be for development of a working root process for others to offer perspective. Feel free to try to replicate at your own risk. If anyone is interested in these files/tools let me know and I will publish more links.

;Download international and metro ROM and MSM tool from these thread (thanks to @Some_Random_Username)​

International

MetroPCS

This download will include the latest MSM Download Tool

The work around that I found does not need MSM to be patched

;TOOLS
download and extract oppo decrypt master
unpack and repack .OPS files for use with MSM Download Tool 4 .exe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TD;RL:
Extract the .ops file, open settings.xml replace the project ID, repack

Set up:
1. Download international zip and metro zip from above, extract into 2 seperate folders and delete billie8t_14_O.01_201218.ops in the metro folder
2. have adb installed
3. Install python3 and prereqs for oppo decrypt master

Extract .ops, edit and flash:
1. unzip the zip file with the .ops file from both folders and move it to the folder with oppo decrypt
2. run "python3 opscrypto.py decrypt billie8_14_O.01_210128.ops" (decrypt both .ops files from each firmware, the first one being the metro and get the /extract/settings.xml file and open it. we will need info from it)
3. Now extract the international firmware with opoo decrypt and open the extract folder
4. open "settings.xml" from both firmwares in your favorite editor
6. Change the following in the international settings.xml: Project=20886 to Project=20885 and ModelVerifyRandom= (THESE NEED TO BE EXACTLY WHAT ARE IN THE METRO SETTINGS.XML file)
6. Save the file
7. run "python3 opscrypto.py encrypt extract". This will create a file called out.ops
8. Once finished place out.ops into the metro firmware folder and rename to "billie8t_14_O.01_201218.ops"
9. With your phone turned on, plug your phone into the computer
10. Open MSMdownloadtoolv4.0.exe and press start
11. Run "adb reboot edl"
12. Your computer should recognize and start the download.
13. Wait a while and it will reboot.

Here is my working files for anyone who wants to tinker
Includes MSMdownloadtools, modded OPS file and (edited settings.xml and patched recovery.img inside OPS)

Updated downloads include:
Decrypted Metro OPS (IMGs, BIN, etc)
Metro to Global (OPS)
Metro to Global w/ magisk patched recovery (ZIP)
Google Drive - Updated 7/11/2021

Last edited:
I have reviewed that method, however it seems to only work with the EU and Global version of the phone. With the US version being on TMobile or MetroPCS (which is owned by TMobile) the "OEM" unlock is greyed out.

To be able to unlock the bootloader I have found that you have to do the following:

1. On MetroPCS you have to have the phone for 180 days.
2. Once that 180 days is up you have to apply to get the device unlocked from their network.
3. After the device gets unlocked from the network you can then use "OEM unlock" in the settings.
4. Then you have to apply to OnePlus with IMEI, serial and unlock code (fastboot get_unlock_code)
5. Wait a week
6. They send you the unlock.

To me this is ridiculously convoluted.

I don't want to have to wait 6 months to start modding

Some other OnePlus devices (6t Tmobile specifically), you use a patched/modified MSM tool to flash the firmware, and it bypasses the device checking if its meant for the device or not. From there, you can unlock the bootloader and you're all set.

Try that, link to the 6t instructions below, I'd wonder if it works on the n10. If I had a carrier locked one, I'd try it, but I got my n10 5g from an amazon return pallet lol

Reactions: BTK19

arda99

Jan 4, 2011
I believe MSM tool is device specified. So I assume you use the Metro MSM and load a modified .OPS from US Retail unlock model? or anything I'm missing? I don't think MSM is included in official oneplus firmware zip.

MSM comes included with the ops firmware. But according to another thread on here

"Crossflashing regional builds is no longer possible by EDL, flash is tied to device project ID. For reference EU devices project ID is 20889 while international devices project ID is 20886."

With that being said. I was able to flash modified Metro firmware (patched ramdisk in boot.img) as noted earlier. So perhaps I can try extracting firmware for the global version and metro, replace any project ID in global with metro project ID and attempt to flash the firmware.

Alternatively we can try to patch the Metro MSM tool like the one used for the 6T above.

MSM comes included with the ops firmware. But according to another thread on here

"Crossflashing regional builds is no longer possible by EDL, flash is tied to device project ID. For reference EU devices project ID is 20889 while international devices project ID is 20886."

With that being said. I was able to flash modified Metro firmware (patched ramdisk in boot.img) as noted earlier. So perhaps I can try extracting firmware for the global version and metro, replace any project ID in global with metro project ID and attempt to flash the firmware.

Alternatively we can try to patch the Metro MSM tool like the one used for the 6T above.

If I had one to test, I'd try it myself. I don't think it's device specific, but it might give you an error, much like Galaxy Devices do on device, if you flash firmware that doesn't match and it knows it doesn't match

You used to be able to flash Chinese firmware to Galaxy Tab A 10.1 tablets to get around FRP because there's no google apps on older Galaxy Tablets for the Chinese region. You'd flash the chinese firmware with patched odin, go through setup, go back to odin, flash US firmware, and it'd get around frp... that no longer works because they added a check into the bootloader itself.

If I had one to test, I'd try it myself. I don't think it's device specific, but it might give you an error, much like Galaxy Devices do on device, if you flash firmware that doesn't match and it knows it doesn't match

You used to be able to flash Chinese firmware to Galaxy Tab A 10.1 tablets to get around FRP because there's no google apps on older Galaxy Tablets for the Chinese region. You'd flash the chinese firmware with patched odin, go through setup, go back to odin, flash US firmware, and it'd get around frp... that no longer works because they added a check into the bootloader itself.
I saw the 6T had a patched MSMdownloadtool but according to another post on here for the ubrick guide for this specific variant cannot be patched because it has some anti-debugging code built in.

With that said. I noticed the files you get for the MSM tool has two .DLL files (which could be device specific) that the MSM download tool uses. Also since it is possible to flash modified .OPS it might be possible to still flash the Global version. I saw one guide on the 6t that after you flash the global rom from MSM you get the same error I received with the modified .OPS (patched bootloader) I flashed. Error was "your device cannot be trusted and will not boot". But they took it a step further and ran "fastboot OEM unlock critical" and the bootloader unlocked and booted.

If this device wasn't my daily I would have attempted this by now.

Reactions: NUGZZ420
I was able to flash the Global stock Oneplus rom using MSM download tools to the MetroPCS Nord N10 5G.

BUT

OEM unlock is still greyed out. Any ideas?

also updated first post with how to replicate what I did to flash. This should work on any variant as long as you replace the project number to your own
It is network checked for OEM Unlock even on the global variants. You need to connect via SIM Data or Wifi for it to check if OEM Unlock can be done, which might mean its doing it via IMEI or some other bootloader specific check

Even connected to the internet the toggle is still greyed out. Device still shows BE2025 despite flashing the international firmware. But it does show the International build number. It also has the international system update engine which was able to do OTA update to latest, it also has the icon at the top where you can pick the file.

Other things I have tried:
- replaced vbmeta and vbmeta_system with empty vbmetas [Device got stuck in an EDL loop]
- replaced recovery.img with twrp.img [Device got stuck in an EDL loop]
- replaced boot.img with magisk_patched.img [Device corrupt, cannot be trusted and will not boot - bootloader loop]
- replaced recovery.img with magisk_patched.img [Device boots like normal. Tried booting magisk (volume down + power until splash screen, then release) Device corrupt, cannot be trusted - reboot back into system just fine.
- Used a HEX editor on boot.img to disable dm-verity [Hex code not found - no changes made]

I don't even know where to begin to see if it is network locked with the international rom. Voice over wifi and 5g works just fine though.

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011

THERE IS NO ROOT FOR THIS DEVICE WITH A LOCKED BOOTLOADER (YET). THIS THREAD IS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT AND TESTING OF METHODS TO ACHIEVE THIS.

Just got this device from MetroPCS this week and love this device. However I found out very quick that you have to be with MetroPCS for 180 days before you can get unlocked. To unlock the bootloader you have to be sim unlocked from the carrier.

This thread will be for development of a working root process for others to offer perspective. Feel free to try to replicate at your own risk. If anyone is interested in these files/tools let me know and I will publish more links.

;Download international and metro ROM and MSM tool from these thread (thanks to @Some_Random_Username)​

International

MetroPCS

;TOOLS

Method

TD;RL:

Set up:
1. Download international zip and metro zip from above, extract into 2 seperate folders and delete billie8t_14_O.01_201218.ops in the metro folder
2. have adb installed

1. unzip the zip file with the .ops file from both folders and move it to the folder with oppo decrypt
2. run "python3 opscrypto.py decrypt billie8_14_O.01_210128.ops" (decrypt both .ops files from each firmware, the first one being the metro and get the /extract/settings.xml file and open it. we will need info from it)
3. Now extract the international firmware with opoo decrypt and open the extract folder
6. Change the following in the international settings.xml: Project=20886 to Project=20885 and ModelVerifyRandom= (THESE NEED TO BE EXACTLY WHAT ARE IN THE METRO SETTINGS.XML file)
6. Save the file
7. run "python3 opscrypto.py encrypt extract". This will create a file called out.ops
8. Once finished place out.ops into the metro firmware folder and rename to "billie8t_14_O.01_201218.ops"
11. Run "adb reboot edl"

I did what someone else suggested i contacted fcc 2 days ago to file a complaint already sim unlocked on metro oem toggle not grey anymore

Here is an interesting(or weird) thread

I...
have mixed feelings about this.

Cannot tell if this is troll or someone actually trying to help

I'm aware, I still haven't been able to get unlock bootloader ungreyed out either.

At this point I'm not quite sure what to try next but I will keep researching.

If I can find a way to remove dm-verity (secure boot) I'm 100% positive that I can get it rooted without network unlock and unlocked bootloader.

Though an unlocked bootloader would be nice.

scottlam1

Aug 16, 2011
I'm aware, I still haven't been able to get unlock bootloader ungreyed out either.

At this point I'm not quite sure what to try next but I will keep researching.

If I can find a way to remove dm-verity (secure boot) I'm 100% positive that I can get it rooted without network unlock and unlocked bootloader.

Though an unlocked bootloader would be nice.
No mine is carrier unlocked and the oem in development is active now but i was hoping i woulnt need the token because for some reason onplus says invalid imei when i try to request a token

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After doing this, will the debloat script still allow me to toggle the unlock bootloader?

I have a Metro N10 (BE2025). When I run the debloat tool it allows me to unlock my bootloader, and I'm waiting on OP now after submitting my unlock token.

I'm interested in "upgrading" to this international version, but I need to be sure I can still root after I do it. @PopCaps1996 you've done amazing work in this thread and others, I bet you'd know the answer to my question? Much appreciated.
    yes its rootable through twrp. just flash magisk zip then reboot
    an now your rooted
    Ok guys, after reading all of the comments, I'm a bit confused where to start with the flashing..
    I have metro version of nord 105g with network unlock and I also got the unlocked token from oneplus yesterday and the bootloader is unlocked now.
    I would like to flash the global rom to get some extra features to the phone like wifi call on a different carrier. The phone has the latest version Android 11.
    Doesn't anyone has the modded file for metro pcs to flash to global using msm tool straight that could share? I would appreciate that would save me doing all the steps. Thanks a lot in advance

Metro2Global N10 MSMTool pre-patched rom Link

download this
    back up data an apps
    reboot to edl
    open msmtool then hit start
    do not touch phone during process until phone self reboot an program tells you its complete
    yes its rootable through twrp. just flash magisk zip then reboot
    an now your rooted

Thank you for the instructions, I did the update today, went smooth like butter.. I just had to install the Qualcomm drivers to be able to communicate to the phone on edl outside of that 421seconds later the phone was ready. Thank you for sharing your work I appreciate it
    it wasn't my work. it was
    @ieatgravity

thanks to him​

but im glad you got it to work

International

MetroPCS

;TOOLS

Method

TD;RL:

Set up:
    2. have adb installed

6. Save the file
    11. Run "adb reboot edl"

Here is my working files for anyone who wants to tinker
    Includes MSMdownloadtools, modded OPS file and (edited settings.xml and patched recovery.img inside OPS)

Updated downloads include:
    Decrypted Metro OPS (IMGs, BIN, etc)
    Metro to Global (OPS)
    Metro to Global w/ magisk patched recovery (ZIP)
    Google Drive - Updated 7/11/2021
    I looked at his github code several months ago and it doesn't seem to be legitimate, more like fishing code.
    Like the code he claims to sim unlock, it actually just bypass the setup security and has nothing to do with sim network unlock.

td;rl: bypassed metropcs sim unlock to ungrey oem unlock and got my unlock code for oneplus

I tried his method, and it didn't work. Looking back I think I didn't follow the instructions properly.

BUTTTTTT

On his github it said his version was a fork of @w1nst0n_fr Universal ADB Debloater. So I tried that out.

Ran the script, debloated using OnePlus.sh and Qualcomm.sh through the menu.

Once complete rebooted the device and OEM UNLOCK WAS UNGREYED.

I was able to toggle it on

Rebooted into bootloader and ran "fastboot oem unlock" and received something about i must enter the unlock code first (PROGRESS!)

ran "fastboot oem get_unlock_code" and got the unlock code WITHOUT waiting 180 days on MetroPCS to Sim unlock.

Not sure if it is actually sim unlocked as I do not know how to test it without swapping sim cards (any suggestions?)
    For those asking for the T-Mobile variant to be uploaded. I have crap upload but am currently trying to upload the patched ops file to share. Once I get it uploaded I'll post it here for you all.
    I was able to flash the Global stock Oneplus rom using MSM download tools to the MetroPCS Nord N10 5G.

BUT

OEM unlock is still greyed out. Any ideas?

also updated first post with how to replicate what I did to flash. This should work on any variant as long as you replace the project number to your own
    You wanted it, you asked for it, here it is in its patched glory. I give you the modified N10 5G TMobile GLOBAL install file for the TMobile MSM tool.

As the instructions in the OP, just drop this file in to a downloaded tmobile MSM tool, start the flash, and boot your device to EDL. Whole process took me approx. 5min 15sec start to boot.

Modded file is HERE

The file does NOT need to be renamed! For your own personal safty BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL OPS FILE BEFORE MOVING THE MODDED FILE IN PLACE!

If someone could mirror the file that would be fantastic!!