• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Flash Stock Firmware using Samsung Smart Switch Windows/MAC

Did this work for you?

• Yes, on another computer it worked

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

SuperSport

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Samsung has released a replacement for KIES to use on newer phones. It's called Samsung Smart Switch. There are the App versions you run on the phone, and there are the Windows and Mac versions you run on your PC. This is a run through on the Windows PC on how to restore your Firmware in case you've Borked your phone. I actually recommend you do this, even if you have not done anything wrong to your phone. My phone ran really hot, laggy, and the battery life was horrible. After flashing the stock firmware, it now runs cool, smooth, and fast.

Stuck at 51%???
Download HotSpot Shield's Free version and set your server to the Default US server, then try again. http://www.hotspotshield.com/
Thanks to @flameinthefire and his persistence to figure out the VPN fix.

Download Smartswitch for Windows
Download Smartswitch for Mac

Video Tutorial

Last edited:

Goog1e Phone

May 24, 2009
Thanks for this. I rooted my Edge and it was having the deep sleep issues so I needed to go back to stock and start over. I really hope the rooting issues will be fixed soon, but as of now going back to a fresh start isn't so bad. :)

cds36

Jun 10, 2010
Spokane Wa

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Samsung has released a replacement for KIES to use on newer phones. It's called Samsung Smart Switch. There are the App versions you run on the phone, and there are the Windows and Mac versions you run on your PC. This is a run through on the Windows PC on how to restore your Firmware in case you've Borked your phone. I actually recommend you do this, even if you have not done anything wrong to your phone. My phone ran really hot, laggy, and the battery life was horrible. After flashing the stock firmware, it now runs cool, smooth, and fast.

Video Tutorial

Did you loose root after doing this ? Did you re-root if you did loose it ?

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Yes, root is lost. No, I didn't re-root. Currently, I'm happy with how my phone is running. Others have rooted again and then replaced recovery with stock And they claim good results.

luigic81

Nov 27, 2010
Thanks for this!! Just to verify, with this tool including the update, root still works correct? I came from att to t-mobile just so I could root this phone. So I want to make sure I'll be able to immediately root again lol! I haven't taken the update yet.

Sent from my SM-G925T using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Thanks for this!! Just to verify, with this tool including the update, root still works correct? I came from att to t-mobile just so I could root this phone. So I want to make sure I'll be able to immediately root again lol! I haven't taken the update yet.

Sent from my SM-G925T using XDA Free mobile app
I personally have not rooted again after using this. Others have said they rooted again and the phone stayed working well. I believe they replaced the buggy Recovery with the Stock Recovery afterwards. Not sure if that has anything to do with stability or not.

Reactions: luigic81

kmatthews

Jan 25, 2008
I've install Smart Switch and my S6 Edge connects fine but when I click on more and Emergency software recovery and initialisation the app hangs (freezes) and does nothing. The app is non responsive it just sits there until I force close.

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
I've install Smart Switch and my S6 Edge connects fine but when I click on more and Emergency software recovery and initialisation the app hangs (freezes) and does nothing. The app is non responsive it just sits there until I force close.
Is there a User Account Control notification on the task bar waiting to be clicked?

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
No, when I click more and Emergency the app turns slightly grey and sits there
Maybe uninstall and re-install. That sounds like a software/pc issue.

Do you get the same thing if your phone is not plugged in? If it works without the phone plugged in, maybe try another cable. Or at least confirm you have the Original Samsung Cable being used.

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
I've done that several times already and it still does the same thing. Thanks for helping
What about right clicking on the Icon and Running as Administrator? Also, have you confirmed the drivers are installed correctly and showing in Device Manager when your phone is plugged in? "SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface"

Last edited:

ShermCraig

Oct 26, 2009
New York, NY
My experience is less than perfect. I did a backup using SS, did the "emergency software recovery and initialisation", and then restored my backup using SS. The backup supposedly restored successfully, but all it did was restore my apps. My homescreen is not restored despite selecting all, nor are my 5 different google accounts restored. Wish I knew this would happen - I'd have thought twice about doing it.... :rolleyes:

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
My experience is less than perfect. I did a backup using SS, did the "emergency software recovery and initialisation", and then restored my backup using SS. The backup supposedly restored successfully, but all it did was restore my apps. My homescreen is not restored despite selecting all, nor are my 5 different google accounts restored. Wish I knew this would happen - I'd have thought twice about doing it.... :rolleyes:
That's good info for others. I set mine up as a new device when I went back. Only thing I recovered was my text messages.

I've found in the past that when recovering, it sometimes brings back the issues from before, so I rarely restore anything except messages. I take screen shots of my home screens and the app drawer so I can put it back manually as I had it. I find this gives me less future headaches.

Also, for what it's worth, the S6 is NOT the only phone I've had that benefits from a fresh flash when new. I've had Windows Phones and other Android Phones that run MUCH better afterwards. I make it a standard thing to flash them within the first couple days of getting them if it's possible. The outcome is often positive. On occasion, no difference has been noticed.

Last edited:

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Can anyone confirm that there's no battery issues after a few days? Are you leaving VOLTE enabled?
I will say I think the battery is as good as it will get with this release of firmware. I leave all my radios on and VoLTE is enabled. With that said, it lasts nowhere near as long as an iPhone 6 or LG G2. So far I can live with how it's lasting, but I do hope it will be fixed in future releases.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Stuck at 51%???
    Download HotSpot Shield's Free version and set your server to the Default US server, then try again. http://www.hotspotshield.com/
    Thanks to @flameinthefire and his persistence to figure out the VPN fix.

Video Tutorial
    Didn't buy insurance and since they saw it was damaged they black listed me from buying it since it's already broken... :crying::crying::crying:

For future reference....ALWAYS buy a SquareTrade plan. They are the best. If you destroy your phone (accidentally), you pay $75 and they pay you up to $999 for a new one. They just send you a check. I've had phone fall in the ocean and luckily retrieved them when on my boat. I've also just broken the screen on another one. SquareTrade deducted the $75 deductible and paid me what the phone was worth new, not what I paid through T-Mobile. You can always find 25% off coupons as well to save even more on the warranties. Just a suggestion.
    If you guys want me to create a single file installer as I've done with the LG G2, let me know. It's super simple to use and includes everything needed. Here is the LG G2 thread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2663369
    I would absolutely love it if you could do this! I'd be willing to make a small contribution for your efforts as well!
    I've been working on this since yesterday, and will hopefully have something by end of today. It will be a single Compressed Executable File you download. Included will be the Samsung Drivers, Odin, and the Firmware. Then, there's a simple Batch File that will help you install/run them all. Odin Options will be disabled so you don't do something silly. Simple, No Mistakes, Small Download.
    Odin.jpg
    No Contributions necessary, but thank you for the offer! Always appreciated.
    OK....I was able to push it through via my "work" - hosted VPN. So there's that.

For everyone else who is struggling, I have good news and bad news.

Bad news first, it took 4 tries on the VPN...and it may have been just dumb luck.

The Good news.... is relax, you don't need smart switch. What I have come to realize, is that there is no magic juju or special sauce. It is merely a stock odin tar flash of the most recent image (boot, recovery, system)...with a full data wipe and factory reset prior to flashing. You can accomplish the same thing, without the %51 anxiety (from what I see):

1. Download odin v3.10
    2. Download @jamcar's OCG g925t tar.md5 (it is zipped...you must extract)
    3. Hold power, home and volume up to boot into recovery
    4. Select wipe data / factory reset
    5. Reboot
    6. Hold power home and volume down to boot into download mode
    7. Launch odin v3.10 (make sure that you plug your phone in a direct usb port from the board...not a a hub, odin can be a biatch)
    8. Click AP and browse to your extrated OCG.tar.md5 image
    9. It will take a minute to hash the checksum (its 3.5gb)
    10. Select start
    11. let it flash, reboot, reboot again...and wait to let it settle for a few minutes
    12. tell %51 to "<bleep> off!"
    13. Profit.

Edit: My grammar blows...

Edit 2: just in case there is any question, THIS WILL WIPE YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE: /sdcard gets mounted and formatted... you have been duly warned
    Thank you for this @watermyst. Also, if PIA VPN still isn't working, try the FREE HotSpot trial. Maybe they are hitting different servers.