Flash Stock Google Pixel ROM on Verizon Model?

JonnyOctagon

Nov 6, 2008
Now that the Verizon version is unlocked, is it possible to install the stock Google firmware onto the Verizon model (and subsequently get regular updates from Google, not Verizon)?

death2all110

Sep 21, 2010
Illinois
The updates still come from Google, regardless of where you bought the device. In fact, if you had a google store version of the pixel witha verizon sim, you would still get the X build as it has a different radio tuned for VZW.

Reactions: wtherrell

Jalh

Dec 11, 2010
Flashed the google images after unlocking the bootloader and after a few min the verizon build ended up being an update. So far, there is not way to avoid the verizon build unless you are rooted ...

Jalh

Dec 11, 2010
The only difference between the V and X builds are the radio.
In the bootloader thread there was speculation about how they tie each image for which phone. Some speculated about phones being recognized for their IMEI, SIM,CID, etc etc etc but nothing conclusive. The other day I met a person who got the phone from the google play store and have verizon but his latest build remains NDE63V, not NDE63X. Quiet honestly, I'm skeptical as of which is really the difference.

death2all110

Sep 21, 2010
Illinois
In the bootloader thread there was speculation about how they tie each image for which phone. Some speculated about phones being recognized for their IMEI, SIM,CID, etc etc etc but nothing conclusive. The other day I met a person who got the phone from the google play store and have verizon but his latest build remains NDE63V, not NDE63X. Quiet honestly, I'm skeptical as of which is really the difference.
That doesn't surprise me, It took a week before I got the update. Its a staged rollout, just like any other OTA is.

biijan

Apr 5, 2013
The question is mine too, I am going to buy a verizon one that the bootloader can not unlock, now we know uts possible to unlockit, I would like to know if possible to flash google play stock on verizon?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
The question is mine too, I am going to buy a verizon one that the bootloader can not unlock, now we know uts possible to unlockit, I would like to know if possible to flash google play stock on verizon?
If you can unlock it, yes. But if it comes with 7.1.1 or you let it update to 7.1.1 before you unlock it you are done. It will be locked without a way to unlock it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA Labs

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX

Verizon phones:
If it has 7.1.0 then you can unlock the bootloader.
If it has 7.1.1 then you cannot unlock the bootloader.

If you cannot unlock the bootloader then you cannot flash older firmware to circumvent the bootloader lock.

If you want to flash ROM's then do not buy a Verizon phone with 7.1.1 already on it.

biijan

Apr 5, 2013
Verizon phones:
If it has 7.1.0 then you can unlock the bootloader.
If it has 7.1.1 then you cannot unlock the bootloader.

If you cannot unlock the bootloader then you cannot flash older firmware to circumvent the bootloader lock.

If you want to flash ROM's then do not buy a Verizon phone with 7.1.1 already on it.
That version is 7.1.0, so
Let me know please, If I flash with google play stock, then mine will be like google play pixels? And it will be updates like them? And can unlock bootloader even after updates?
Thanks

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Let me know please, If I flash with google play stock, then mine will be like google play pixels? And it will be updates like them? And can unlock bootloader even after updates?
Thanks

Unlock your bootloader right away, before you take any 7.1.1 updates.

Then in the future before taking updates, research on XDA first to find out if it causes any problems.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Thanks
If you update before you unlock you will not be able to unlock. Don't matter where you get it from. VZ and Google's update are the same. The google update our full flash to 7.1.1 will lock you. Probably for good.

steber04

Jan 14, 2011
Kingston
So if I unlock my bootloader, in 7.1.0 It'll maintain the bootloader unlock atleast in 7.1.1? It'll still allow OTA updates? On the fence on what I want to do with the Pixel but would rather dePixel8 it while i have the chance.

michaelbsheldon

Jan 12, 2011
Anaheim, CA
So if I unlock my bootloader, in 7.1.0 It'll maintain the bootloader unlock atleast in 7.1.1? It'll still allow OTA updates? On the fence on what I want to do with the Pixel but would rather dePixel8 it while i have the chance.
My PixelXL came with NDE63P. I used depixel8 to unlock it. After that, it has taken 7.1-NDE63V, 7.1-NDE63X, and 7.11-NMF26O updates through Verizon without relocking the bootloader. I have messed up the phone several times and easily flashed the factory image to fix up each time. Instructions here in the xda PixelXL Forum are helpful. Custom recovery, kernel, or root will stop OTAs from installing.
Whatever you do, be sure to unlock it before taking updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: cam30era

Gold Rusty

Aug 11, 2008
Is it possible to overwrite the Verizon/EE bootloader once it is unlocked? So that the bootloader can be relocked and unlocked at will post updating to 7.1.1?

Gold Rusty

Aug 11, 2008
Bootloader is the same. The unlockable "feature" appears to be IMEI related. Sets a flag, apparently...
Great, thanks for clearing that up. Seems best to stay clear of Verizon/EE models if I want to be able to unlock and lock at will.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Having said that, having to wipe the user data with each unlock makes it pointless relocking it as I want it mainly for app data backups.

Reactions: cam30era

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Great, thanks for clearing that up. Seems best to stay clear of Verizon/EE models if I want to be able to unlock and lock at will.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Having said that, having to wipe the user data with each unlock makes it pointless relocking it as I want it mainly for app data backups.

Don't relock, we have seen lots of people brick phones that way. If you are trying to pass safteynet then flash a kernel that bypasses it.

Reactions: Gold Rusty