• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flash/update files for TCL ES560/S6500/S5300

Search This thread

Krush206

Sep 4, 2016
The company has finally released the Linux kernel sources, however, they didn't explain how to install. The source code can be found on GitHub.
If somebody is willing to help and does not mind bricking their TV, we could figure out how to install the kernel, as well as whether it performs as should or not.
If the TV gets bricked, we can then figure out how to unbrick it, as well as check whether it has a JTAG and/or serial port.
V369......build number please...who installed.
V369009xxx
Thx.
I believe you can look up the build number in the SVN_VERSION file, which is located in the tclconfig TAR archive.

Last edited:

Krush206

Sep 4, 2016
In the future, consider using brotli + sdat2img to convert the image to raw format.
I have built the latest release of brotli, here is it. To run sdat2img, you need Python 3.
Here is the raw image of tclconfig.
V369......build number please...who installed.
V369.009xxx
Thx.
If somebody is willing to help and does not mind bricking their TV, we could figure out how to install the kernel, as well as whether it performs as should or not.
If the TV gets bricked, we can then figure out how to unbrick it, as well as check whether it has a JTAG and/or serial port.
Along with this, I have been wondering if it is possible to replace the contents of an update/installation image. It'd be nice if we could edit or write our own ROMs/images.

Reactions: DarkFrenzy

cb2004

Aug 4, 2021
Here is what I found from recent releases:

v360 build 009170
This was super slow and introduced some new things, the software update process looked different and had the release notes section that we are seeing in recent builds for v8-r851t02-lf1

v364 build 009097
An official release and links were updated on the UK site to download. This was a nice release and got the speed back, but you will see the build number was less than v360 and things reverted back to how they were before v360 with things like the software update process returning to how they were

v367 build 009187
This was super slow and re-introduced some new things, the software update process looked different again

v369 build 009199
A nice release, speed returned to what it was in v364, I would recommend this build at this point but will use some more and let you know

Last edited:
Reactions: JoseBerga

wozzo34516

Nov 6, 2012
Hi. Is someone using IPTV on this TV? Only 2 applications works propetly (IPTV PRO and PerfectPlayer), but I want use TiViMate. On this app some channels are frozing. I know that it don't decoding some codecs. With every update I hope that they're repaired it. Is anyone have any solution? Thanks :)

Krush206

Sep 4, 2016
Does anyone know how to extract the boot.img for an es560? I'm trying to root with magisk. I have located the boot to be somewhere here.
Just found out how to install the kernel. 🙂
Dumped the TV's internal storage and used hexdump to find out the memory region at which the kernel is allocated.
Here is the Shell command to install the kernel:
Code:
dd if=<path/to/kernel_image> of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1k seek=98336

Now I need to figure out how the encryption works, so that we can install our own kernel.
Fortunately, it makes use of OP-TEE, which is an open-source security technology.

Attachments

• IMG-20210805-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210805-WA0002.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 31

an-24

Aug 12, 2021
Just found out how to install the kernel. 🙂
Dumped the TV's internal storage and used hexdump to find out the memory region at which the kernel is allocated.
Here is the Shell command to install the kernel:
Code:
dd if=<path/to/kernel_image> of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1k seek=98336

Now I need to figure out how the encryption works, so that we can install our own kernel.
Fortunately, it makes use of OP-TEE, which is an open-source security technology.
You have boot.img?
Just send it to mmcblk0?

Krush206

Sep 4, 2016
The above procedure for installing the kernel will only work if you have version R609 (361) installed. It seems that, for each version, the kernel is allocated at different storage addresses.
If you do not have version R609 installed, I recommend to use hexdump + grep to find the kernel storage address.

Kernel images can be found inside installation/update packages. Use 7-zip to extract them.
The following images are valid for installation:
  • vmlinux.bin.aes
  • vmlinux.develop.android.pie.rtd284x.tv030.emmc.andtv.optee.2K-model.aes
  • vmlinux.develop.android.pie.rtd284x.tv030.emmc.user.andtv.optee.2K-model.aes

Install BusyBox to /system/xbin and apply chmod 0755 to it. Run busybox hexdump -C /dev/block/mmcblk0 | grep -F 'c0 c2 58 bb d8 b1 1a cf'.
The first address output may not be the one you want, but the second. As soon as two addresses have been outputted, press [Ctrl+C], run dd if=<path/to/kernel_image> of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1 seek=`printf '%d' 0x<second found storage address>` conv=fsync and reboot.
If the write is too slow, replace bs=1 with obs=1.

Last edited:

Antieco

Jun 24, 2012
The above procedure for installing the kernel will only work if you have version R609 (361) installed. It seems that, for each version, the kernel is allocated at different storage addresses.
If you do not have version R609 installed, I recommend to use hexdump + grep to find the kernel storage address.

Kernel images can be found inside installation/update packages. Use 7-zip to extract them.
The following images are valid for installation:
  • vmlinux.bin.aes
  • vmlinux.develop.android.pie.rtd284x.tv030.emmc.andtv.optee.2K-model.aes
  • vmlinux.develop.android.pie.rtd284x.tv030.emmc.user.andtv.optee.2K-model.aes

Install BusyBox to /system/xbin and apply chmod 0755 to it. Run busybox hexdump -C /dev/block/mmcblk0 | grep -F 'c0 c2 58 bb d8 b1 1a cf'.
The first address output may not be the one you want, but the second. As soon as two addresses have been outputted, press [Ctrl+C], run dd if=<path/to/kernel_image> of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1 seek=`printf '%d' 0x<second found storage address>` conv=fsync and reboot.
If the write is too slow, replace bs=1 with obs=1.
What advantage u get with a custom kernel?

Krush206

Sep 4, 2016
One can add support for more kernel drivers and disable unwanted features, like SELinux.

It is important to note that, with SELinux enabled, superuser access is restricted to any application. The main reason me and others want to install a custom kernel is to get rid of SELinux, though I also want to make use of unavailable kernel drivers, such as NFS (Network File System) and CIFS (Common Internet File System).

Hi. Is someone using IPTV on this TV? Only 2 applications works propetly (IPTV PRO and PerfectPlayer), but I want use TiViMate. On this app some channels are frozing. I know that it don't decoding some codecs. With every update I hope that they're repaired it. Is anyone have any solution? Thanks :)
Tivimate,ott navigator,and gt player works Fine on my tv

alexa2005

Jun 12, 2009
Hello people!
I have a new TCL Android TV. Has anybody know how to cast laptop image to android 9 Tv?
I have Intel WIDI on my book and is working ok to my old samsung but have no ideea how to activate on Android tv. Pls help if you have any ideea.
Thanks!

spgizzi

Sep 20, 2016
Hi,

I had the same problem. Was on the v272 version installed manually via OTA with the firmware found on this post, then suddenly it asked if I wanted to upgrade now or later.. well, without any option I updated, got v325 and was horrified by the lack of sound on some movies (Yes the ones with DTS) so even on v325 the internal player doesn't have DTS support like it had before.

Since the Android Video apps only do 720p with lots of stuttering (My TV is the 40es560 model) I had to find an alternative like using an external player or buy a new TV (very tempted as I'm getting tired of this TCL TV)

Anyway I've found an apparent solution which is to disable the TCL OTA/System update apps via adb.
After downgrade to v272 quickly connect the TV via ADB either locally or WIFI and run this 2 commands to remove this packages:
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.tcl.rc.ota adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.tcl.versionUpdateApp

Without them my TV is now stuck on v272 and has survived several reboots without asking it to "upgrade" to v325. So far so good.

To revert you can do a factory reset.

Tip: To connect via wifi ADB:
adb tcpip 5555 adb connect 192.168.0.101:5555
replace 192.168.0.101 with your tv IP

Helpfull Links:
https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2604727/how-can-i-connect-to-android-with-adb-over-tcp?
Thank you. This worked. Am now on V272 which has DTS sound processing and updates disabled. Did they ever bring back DTS support in any future updates?? I was previously on V323...

spgizzi

Sep 20, 2016
Connect to abd mode "adb connect IP:5555"
Backup existing config "adb shell dumpsys display > backup.txt"
Change the resolution "adb shell wm size 1920x1080"
Change the screen dpi "adb shell wm density 313" (313 for my 40 inch display, check your display size and change it accordingly)

You do need marshmallow and higher for wm to be available in system i believe.
Thank you. Works. Just stuck on the DPI...i have a 40 inch s6500. I put same DPI as you...313. Some icons on my homepage appear cropped, the channel texts too are very small and Android boot animation is also cropped.

Tbo29

Dec 4, 2020
Question to the experts. Recently bought a TCL 32s65a which is sold in SA, The software is V8-R41KT01-LF1V329. Now I found that it is very slow and has quite some bugs like some aps not working. Should I try version 369 which has been said to work quite well and is much faster than 329? As it's an OTA package I understand that I won't lose any data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Replying to myself. I installed the version V8-R41KT01-LFIV369 build 009199 mentioned here. Much better than than the one which came originally with the TV. Also nice is that you now have the option to format an USB drive as internal storage which I could do only with some adb commands before.

Speed is indeed much better than I had with 336. Also now some apps which didn't work properly now are working fine (especially VPN's). It's a pitty that these models won't receive the Google TV upgrade. I have it on another model, much better and with a nice speed increase.
    This is a list of update packages and installation images for TCL ES560/S6500/S5300, chassis RT41.
    If you're unsure whether your TCL TV is chassis RT41 or not, you may check it in Settings > About > Contact us menu. If your Software version starts with V8-R41KT01-LF1, you may proceed with the installation. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A RT41 CHASSIS, THE INSTALLATION WILL FAIL.
    There are two kinds of packages for this TV, download mode packages and Android OTA packages. Download mode packages will erase your data, while Android OTA packages will keep your data.

Android OTA packages:
    Version 190.
    Version 234.
    Version 241.
    Version 272.
    Version 305.
    Version 353.
    Version 360.
    Version 364.
    Version 367.
    After downloading the package, please, do read the manual included (especially if you want to update to Android 9).

Download mode packages:
    Version 064.
    Version 076.
    Version 080.
    Version 114.
    Version 117.
    Version 133.
    Version 138.
    Version 139.
    Version 144.
    Version 155.
    Version 180.
    Version 216.
    Version 226.
    Version 229.
    Version 234.
    Version 241.
    Version 242.
    Version 243.
    Version 245.
    Version 250. (Downgraded kernel.)
    Version 255.
    Version 257.
    Version 272.
    Version 284.
    Version 292.
    Version 305.
    Version 343.
    Version 364.
    Rooted download mode packages:
    Version 289.
    Version 353.
    Version 361.
    These packages have an Update.img file. Copy the image file to the root of your USB drive, plug the USB drive into the TV, then boot the TV into download mode.

How do I boot into download mode?
    1) Hold the power button on the remote control until the power off menu is shown.
    2) Select Yes to turn off the TV.
    3) When the power LED turns off, press and hold the TV's power button.
    4) When the power LED begins to blink, release the power button.
    Another way to boot into download mode is to unplug the TV's power cord, then hold the TV's power button while plugging the power cord back. When the power LED begins to blink, release the power button.
    The TV should boot into download mode and begin the installation process. DO NOT POWER OFF THE TV DURING THE INSTALLATION PROCESS!
    Replying to myself. I installed the version V8-R41KT01-LFIV369 build 009199 mentioned here. Much better than than the one which came originally with the TV. Also nice is that you now have the option to format an USB drive as internal storage which I could do only with some adb commands before.

Speed is indeed much better than I had with 336. Also now some apps which didn't work properly now are working fine (especially VPN's). It's a pitty that these models won't receive the Google TV upgrade. I have it on another model, much better and with a nice speed increase.
    Were you able to do it? I have a rca that is the same too. Tell me about your experience, please, thank you!

I tried both the OTA and the full firmware install and both installed without a single issue, even the TV started with the "Hitachi" logo and everything so it went just like an official update, the latest firmware (v255) that some user posted here didn't gave me any issues at all, I could even say that it runs better than the original, and they improved some image settings related options, so go for it, if the chasis model number match shouldn't be a problem then, the system checks anyway if the firmware it's valid for installation.
    How did you get the tv to work in 1080p with adb? ... any tutorial?
    Connect to abd mode "adb connect IP:5555"
    Backup existing config "adb shell dumpsys display > backup.txt"
    Change the resolution "adb shell wm size 1920x1080"
    Change the screen dpi "adb shell wm density 313" (313 for my 40 inch display, check your display size and change it accordingly)

You do need marshmallow and higher for wm to be available in system i believe. Mine is in Pie.
    Hi I have a Hitachi that is virtually exactly the TCL 6500, it's the same device only with the "Hitachi" brand on it, even the cablebox remote control had to be pair with TCL code number and the software version of mine starts correctly with V8-R41KT01-LF1, should I try to update with these packages? Those this updates arrive at least later or the TV will update only to android 9 via manual update?
    Go for it son

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6003 mediante Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Does it worth to update to V255 (im on 241... pretty stable) ? any caveat or something that brokes?
    Thanks for your comments.
    I'm on 255 , everything works fine except for that creepy app named com.tcl.tvweishi (Tv protection).. it crashes when opening file manager or other options in it .

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6003 mediante Tapatalk