Flashable TWRP v2.8.7.0 for Sony Z3+ E6553 Ivy_Kitakami

Search This thread

dl12345

Aug 1, 2014
Introduction

Disclaimer: While this TWRP has been tested by myself on my own device to flash, wipe and backup, I make no warranties as to it's performance. Use at your own risk.
WARNING: flashable version contains a kernel boot image which will be flashed to your device along with the recovery image.

Installation instructions

• This recovery image is for the E6553 single SIM Z3+. Do not use it on another model.
  • This recovery image requires an unlocked bootloader. You will lose some functionality on your phone if you unlock your bootloader
  • Do your research and make sure you're using the latest version of the relevant tools if you do decide to unlock.
  • DO NOT enable MyXperia functionality if you've unlocked your bootloader. You will brick your device.
  • This first download of this recovery image CANNOT be flashed to your phone and must be used in fastboot mode only
  • The second download is a flashable recovery
  • Use the first version to flash the second dual-boot.zip version
  • Unzip the recovery.zip file to extract the recovery.img file to use in fastboot mode
Code:
C:\>adb reboot bootloader
C:\>fastboot boot recovery.img
C:\>adb push dual-boot.zip /sdcard/dual-boot.zip
C:\>adb push dual-boot.zip.md5 /sdcard/dual-boot.zip.md5

Now use the TWRP install feature to install dual-boot.zip. Follow the prompts of the Aroma graphical installer.

CAVEAT: this extends the boot time by about 5 - 10 seconds as ramdisk images need to be unpacked and there's a wait on a keypress to determine whether to enter recovery mode. In order to boot into recovery, press power on. When you see the yellow LED come on then press the down volume button once or twice. You will then boot into TWRP.

NOTE: the dual-boot.zip installs a new 28.0.A.8.251 kernel. If you're using the autoroot kernel from Devries you will need to flash SuperSU to re-root your device

This dual boot/recovery works by flashing the recovery image to the FOTAkernel partition. A custom ramdisk image contains the normal boot image. If the down volume keypress is detected, then the recovery ramdisk is automatically extracted from the FOTAKernel partition and flow of control switches to recovery. If no keypress is detected then the normal ramdisk is extracted and normal android boot ensues.

Those of you who installed version 1.0 please download and install this version 1.1 to fix the error with the startup of the trim area daemon

Download

Changelog

Code:
Current changelog: -- 29 September 2015
[new] v1.1 fix up problem in combined ramdisk preventing trim area daemon from starting correctly
[new] Flashable recovery - 28 September 2015
[new] Fixed various sys/class issues so that CPU temperature and LED / backlight control work correctly
[new] Updated to use 28.0.A.8.251 kernel (as opposed to the AOSP kernel)
[old] Initial release - 10 September 2015

Thanks To

The regular contributors to the Z3+ forum, among others @[NUT], @ChrisJ951, @DHGE, @Devries, @zxz0O0, @Venkat Kamesh, @AndroPlus, @Sacktreter who pass on knowledge and who make the forum a lively and cooperative place

Last edited:

dl12345

Aug 1, 2014
People who installed version 1.0 of the Flashable TWRP must please update to version 1.1 to correct a bug.

Last edited:

ChrisJ951

Jan 25, 2011
Awesome work.

Glad you were able to get the screen working for it! Boots up fine w/o issue for me

dl12345

Aug 1, 2014
This is fantastic. Is there any way of getting this to work with a locked bootloader?

Sent from my Xperia Z3+

I'd venture to suggest that it's highly unlikely that locked bootloader recovery could work. The DM_VERITY is almost a guarantor of that. Just search for CONFIG_DM_VERITY or Verity in the Z3+ forums for more info.

Even if an exploit works, the second it modifies the system partition, the kernel panics and refuses to boot. The only way of preventing that is to flash a new kernel or edit the ramdisk to remove the verity key. And the only way to flash a new kernel / edit the ramdisk is to unlock the bootloader.

elladroid

Apr 15, 2015
Bristol
Thank you first for development... maazing!

I have unlocked the bootloader via Sony and then used an boot.img from Devries to root as root was my primary goal. I have flashbooted as per instructions the TWRP recovery.img that is provided here by the awesome dl12345 .

However the issue is that I am unable to boot to recovery after rebooting from TWRP. In other words the flashboot works and I am able to make a backup and use TWRP well but it doesn't seem to stick.

Am I doing something wrong. Should I have flashed a ROM first from xperfirm, Flashtools, and/or can I flash a kernel without it effecting the recovery. My knowledge is sketchy but I am totally up for testing if I can help.

dl12345

Aug 1, 2014

I have unlocked the bootloader via Sony and then used an boot.img from Devries to root as root was my primary goal. I have flashbooted as per instructions the TWRP recovery.img that is provided here by the awesome dl12345 .

However the issue is that I am unable to boot to recovery after rebooting from TWRP. In other words the flashboot works and I am able to make a backup and use TWRP well but it doesn't seem to stick.

Am I doing something wrong. Should I have flashed a ROM first from xperfirm, Flashtools, and/or can I flash a kernel without it effecting the recovery. My knowledge is sketchy but I am totally up for testing if I can help.

This is correct behaviour. You're not actually flashing the recovery image, just temporarily booting a recovery kernel and associated ramdisk. Sony Xperia devices don't have a recovery partition, or more accurately, they don't have a bootloader than can check and load a boot image from a recovery partition.

Technically it's possible to make the boot image check for a ramdisk on another partition and use this instead of the normal ramdisk, but this is step two. Sony should be releasing an open recovery bootloader fairly soon for the Z3+ which will allow this recovery image to be flashed. It's already been released for other devices.

Until Sony releases open recovery for Z3+ or I spend the time trying to implement a feature that probably only has days or weeks of utility (until Sony releases the open recovery for Z3+) , you're stuck with a TWRP that you need to launch every time in fastboot mode.

Reactions: elladroid

dl12345

Aug 1, 2014

New version now flashable so that you can boot into recovery...read top post carefully before using.

Reactions: elladroid

deecept

Aug 7, 2007
Yes, I've temporarily disabled the link while I resolve a problem relating to the trim area daemon not starting up due to some peculiarity of the dual boot ramdisk. I'll reinstate it as soon as I fix the problem.

Oh, ok, sweet! Looking to flash this to my Z3+. More than happy to test if needed =) Great work on these!!

alex_SW

Jan 24, 2010
hi.question...i get remote: dtb not found error when trying to boot the recovery..any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

Disclaimer: While this TWRP has been tested by myself on my own device to flash, wipe and backup, I make no warranties as to it's performance. Use at your own risk.
    WARNING: flashable version contains a kernel boot image which will be flashed to your device along with the recovery image.

Installation instructions

• This recovery image is for the E6553 single SIM Z3+. Do not use it on another model.
    • This recovery image requires an unlocked bootloader. You will lose some functionality on your phone if you unlock your bootloader
    • Do your research and make sure you're using the latest version of the relevant tools if you do decide to unlock.
    • DO NOT enable MyXperia functionality if you've unlocked your bootloader. You will brick your device.
    • This first download of this recovery image CANNOT be flashed to your phone and must be used in fastboot mode only
    • The second download is a flashable recovery
    • Use the first version to flash the second dual-boot.zip version
    • Unzip the recovery.zip file to extract the recovery.img file to use in fastboot mode
    Code:
    C:\>adb reboot bootloader
    C:\>fastboot boot recovery.img
    C:\>adb push dual-boot.zip /sdcard/dual-boot.zip
    C:\>adb push dual-boot.zip.md5 /sdcard/dual-boot.zip.md5

Now use the TWRP install feature to install dual-boot.zip. Follow the prompts of the Aroma graphical installer.

CAVEAT: this extends the boot time by about 5 - 10 seconds as ramdisk images need to be unpacked and there's a wait on a keypress to determine whether to enter recovery mode. In order to boot into recovery, press power on. When you see the yellow LED come on then press the down volume button once or twice. You will then boot into TWRP.

NOTE: the dual-boot.zip installs a new 28.0.A.8.251 kernel. If you're using the autoroot kernel from Devries you will need to flash SuperSU to re-root your device

This dual boot/recovery works by flashing the recovery image to the FOTAkernel partition. A custom ramdisk image contains the normal boot image. If the down volume keypress is detected, then the recovery ramdisk is automatically extracted from the FOTAKernel partition and flow of control switches to recovery. If no keypress is detected then the normal ramdisk is extracted and normal android boot ensues.

Those of you who installed version 1.0 please download and install this version 1.1 to fix the error with the startup of the trim area daemon

Download

Changelog

Code:
    Current changelog: -- 29 September 2015
    [new] v1.1 fix up problem in combined ramdisk preventing trim area daemon from starting correctly
    [new] Flashable recovery - 28 September 2015
    [new] Fixed various sys/class issues so that CPU temperature and LED / backlight control work correctly
    [new] Updated to use 28.0.A.8.251 kernel (as opposed to the AOSP kernel)
    [old] Initial release - 10 September 2015

Thanks To

The regular contributors to the Z3+ forum, among others @[NUT], @ChrisJ951, @DHGE, @Devries, @zxz0O0, @Venkat Kamesh, @AndroPlus, @Sacktreter who pass on knowledge and who make the forum a lively and cooperative place
    Oh, ok, sweet! Looking to flash this to my Z3+. More than happy to test if needed =) Great work on these!!

Download back online and problem fixed

Those who downloaded the 1.0 please download this 1.1 version and install to correct the problem with trim area daemon startup. Thanks
    please, release TWRP for 6533 too
    we need custom recovery so bad

This is correct behaviour. You're not actually flashing the recovery image, just temporarily booting a recovery kernel and associated ramdisk. Sony Xperia devices don't have a recovery partition, or more accurately, they don't have a bootloader than can check and load a boot image from a recovery partition.

Technically it's possible to make the boot image check for a ramdisk on another partition and use this instead of the normal ramdisk, but this is step two. Sony should be releasing an open recovery bootloader fairly soon for the Z3+ which will allow this recovery image to be flashed. It's already been released for other devices.

Until Sony releases open recovery for Z3+ or I spend the time trying to implement a feature that probably only has days or weeks of utility (until Sony releases the open recovery for Z3+) , you're stuck with a TWRP that you need to launch every time in fastboot mode.
    I gave the phone to my girlfriend and went back to using my galaxy note 4 several months ago. Useless crap. I'll never buy another sony phone again
    For the love of God Can you Mod the mm kernel to allow root. I will pay you