[Flashcast] Change DNS to Unlocator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
As requested by some users, here is a flashcast file that will force the chromecast to use Unlocator for DNS instead of Google's DNS servers. For those who don't know what Unlocator DNS is, read more here: https://unlocator.com/

NOTE: This is NOT a standalone ROM, just a add-on, so you will need to have a rooted system image already installed to use this. Enjoy!

Download Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!tBcQEIzR!WZ_7hw7Z-tNLOOk7SV7n_wn-7TQGVgEdNfb2ETJ582I

Install Instructions:
  1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2452838
  2. Download, and put eureka_image.zip on your Flashcast jump drive.
  3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
  4. Flashing will take 3~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.
  5. Once done, the device will reboot and you are good to go.

Thanks To:
GTVHacker
tchebb
tvall
ften
Anyone Else I Missed!

Optional:
Revert To Stock: https://mega.co.nz/#!xUUzwbLI!MdAUAGnlls3tCDAlgaLE_0USGAZrRn2ZudlmiJS4i3E (This will make your chromecast use Google's DNS servers again)

Please let me know if you have any issues! I am in the US, so I can't fully test its functionality.

EDIT: If you know of a better unblocking DNS provider, let me know and I will make a updated image.

Last edited:

bormeth

Jul 12, 2010
As requested by some users, here is a flashcast file that will force the chromecast to use Unlocator for DNS instead of Google's DNS servers. This is NOT a standalone ROM, just a add-on, so you will need to have a rooted system image already installed to use this. Enjoy!

Download Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!tBcQEIzR!WZ_7hw7Z-tNLOOk7SV7n_wn-7TQGVgEdNfb2ETJ582I

Install Instructions:
  1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2452838
  3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
  4. Flashing will take 3~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.

Thanks To:
GTVHacker
tchebb
tvall
ften
Anyone Else I Missed!

Please let me know if you have any issues! I am in the US, so I can't fully test its functionality.

Just to clarify is the v13300 built into this? :) Or will i have to use Flashcast, then 13300 and last but not least this? :)

(I will test it out ASAP, still looking for the OTG cabel. If anyone from Denmark is reading this and have one PM me.) :)

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Just to clarify is the v13300 built into this? :) Or will i have to use Flashcast, then 13300 and last but not least this? :)

(I will test it out ASAP, still looking for the OTG cabel. If anyone from Denmark is reading this and have one PM me.) :)

Nope, this should be flashed AFTER the 13300 image is flashed. It is a stand-alone mod, and not a full system image.

Reactions: AllanonX and amadib

spelaben

Aug 11, 2011
Bonn
Thank you so much for this mod, just ordered a powered Micro-USB OTG cable and will report back when I installed flashcast and got netflix to work. :)

dewk

Mar 7, 2010
Trondheim
solhe.im
If I wanted to use unblock-us dns servers do I simply change the NS entry in the resolv.conf inside the zip? Or is there any other magic involved?

Thanks for your work.

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
well if my router is already sending out the Unlocator DNS servers via DHCP - this should be moot?
I haven't tried it yet though.

side-note: kudos on these images @ddggttff3! here's to the next AirCast reboot!

Unless you have a router that intercepts all DNS requests (Ex. DD-WRT Firmware), then the Chromecast will ignore the DHCP server's DNS settings as it is hard coded to use google's DNS servers. This mod will change the hardcoded DNS in the chromecast to use Unlocator instead of google.

knightmedz

Dec 14, 2005
Can't modify files in Windows :(

You would need to modify both resolv.conf and 20-dns.conf with the DNS server you want to use.

Hi guys, I tried to change the nameservers to SmartyDNS ones but it seems Flashcast can't execute imager.sh anymore. Has anyone been able to rezip the files in windows and successfully flash it to their chromecast? I kept getting this error ->

Code:
Clearing OTAs
Changing directory to /usr/share/flasher/remove-ota
Mounting cache (mtd4) at /tmp/tmp.NMpQb1
Removing temp-ota.zip and ota.zip from cache partition (/tmp/tmp.NMpQb1)
Unmounting /tmp/tmp.NMpQb1
Mounting /dev/sda1 to /tmp/tmp.vawxOa
Opened log file /tmp/tmp.vawxOa/flashcast-9.log
Found eureka_image.zip, using
Archive:  /tmp/tmp.vawxOa/eureka_image.zip
  inflating: 20-dns.conf
  inflating: imager.sh
  inflating: resolv.conf
Handing off control to imager.sh
Changing directory to /tmp/tmp.o3LNli
ERROR: /tmp/tmp.o3LNli/imager.sh does not exist or is not executable
Flashing failed
Unmounting and removing /tmp/tmp.vawxOa

I think its because I'm using windows and the original zip file was compressed using UNIX. Would appreciate it if someone can please create me a modified one in UNIX with these nameservers ->

nameserver 37.139.11.137
nameserver 192.241.143.47

Thanks in advance!

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Hi guys, I tried to change the nameservers to SmartyDNS ones but it seems Flashcast can't execute imager.sh anymore. Has anyone been able to rezip the files in windows and successfully flash it to their chromecast? I kept getting this error ->

Code:
Clearing OTAs
Flashing failed

I think its because I'm using windows and the original zip file was compressed using UNIX. Would appreciate it if someone can please create me a modified one in UNIX with these nameservers ->

nameserver 37.139.11.137

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, when modified in windows it looses its executable flag. What you can do is in the Flash Cast Jumpdrive, make a folder named eureka_image, and put all of the files from the zip in that folder, and then delete the eureka_image.zip. Flashcast will detect the folder, and flash from that, and it will allow it to have the executable bit thanks to NTFS to EXT permissions :)

knightmedz

Dec 14, 2005
Yeah, when modified in windows it looses its executable flag. What you can do is in the Flash Cast Jumpdrive, make a folder named eureka_image, and put all of the files from the zip in that folder, and then delete the eureka_image.zip. Flashcast will detect the folder, and flash from that, and it will allow it to have the executable bit thanks to NTFS to EXT permissions :)

Worked like a charm! You really get to learn something new everyday. Thanks a lot!

kyda75

Jun 23, 2010

This is news, what I usually do, I use 7-zip and do the editing/updating directly inside the zip file, this seems to retain the executable bits.

pahealey

Mar 3, 2012
Kiama
Makes Chromcast worthwhile outside US

After much searching, this is what you need to be able to use chromecast with netflix and hulu outside of the USA if you don't have a router that allow DNS script changes (Mysterious stuff indeed). Greatwork. I have cancelled my account with Unblockus and changed to Unlocator which is currently free. This thread needs to be at the top of the chromcast tread list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As requested by some users, here is a flashcast file that will force the chromecast to use Unlocator for DNS instead of Google's DNS servers. For those who don't know what Unlocator DNS is, read more here: https://unlocator.com/

NOTE: This is NOT a standalone ROM, just a add-on, so you will need to have a rooted system image already installed to use this. Enjoy!

Install Instructions:

Thanks To:
    GTVHacker
    tchebb
    tvall
    ften
    Anyone Else I Missed!

Optional:
    Revert To Stock: https://mega.co.nz/#!xUUzwbLI!MdAUAGnlls3tCDAlgaLE_0USGAZrRn2ZudlmiJS4i3E (This will make your chromecast use Google's DNS servers again)

EDIT: If you know of a better unblocking DNS provider, let me know and I will make a updated image.
    If im using this DNS changer, would i need to change anything in my router? :D

Nope! just make sure your router is not intercepting DNS requests. Only routers I know that do this though are ones running dd-wrt or tomatoUSB.
    If I wanted to use unblock-us dns servers do I simply change the NS entry in the resolv.conf inside the zip? Or is there any other magic involved?

Thanks for your work.

You would need to modify both resolv.conf and 20-dns.conf with the DNS server you want to use.
    I have successfully found a way to force the chromecast to use the DHCP DNS advertised servers! :victory: Expect a new thread within a hour.

EDIT: and its live! http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=46746782#post46746782

Code:
    Clearing OTAs
    Flashing failed

nameserver 37.139.11.137

Thanks in advance!