[Flashcast] Change DNS to use DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
As requested by some users, here is a flashcast mod that will allow the chromecast to use DHCP provided DNS servers instead of the hard-coded Google DNS Servers. Expect this mod to be in all future releases of my rooted system images!

NOTE: This is NOT a standalone ROM, just a add-on, so you will need to have a rooted system image already installed to use this. Enjoy!

Download Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!wNs0QSya!bV8dD2H1CdfVPorrjWnRXzyfLXw171Zsj3L88fihZaQ

Install Instructions:
  1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2452838
  2. Download, and put eureka_image.zip on your Flashcast jump drive.
  3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
  4. Flashing will take 3~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.
  5. Once done, the device will reboot and you are good to go.

Thanks To:
GTVHacker
tchebb
tvall
ften
Anyone Else I Missed!

Optional:
Revert To Stock: https://mega.co.nz/#!xUUzwbLI!MdAUAGnlls3tCDAlgaLE_0USGAZrRn2ZudlmiJS4i3E (This will make your chromecast use Google's DNS servers again)

kyda75

Jun 23, 2010
This works well, i might just use this method rather than the harcoded dns servers images.
As such i wouldn mind if you make dhcp dns a default from now on.

Thanks

Sent from my TouchPad using xda app-developers app

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks ddggttff3, sorry for asking complete dumb question here.
I have copied flashcast-1.0.bin to my usb disk using win32diskimager. But how do I copy this rom to the same usb driver? Once I wrote the usb with flashcast-bin file, pc is not recognizing USB at all.
Can you please help?

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Got the answer to my question from this post :)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46347285&postcount=58
I should have read all the posts..Thanks again..gonna try this ROM
Thank You,

Last edited:

tchebb

Jul 28, 2010
Waltham, MA
Thanks ddggttff3, sorry for asking complete dumb question here.
I have copied flashcast-1.0.bin to my usb disk using win32diskimager. But how do I copy this rom to the same usb driver? Once I wrote the usb with flashcast-bin file, pc is not recognizing USB at all.
Can you please help?

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Got the answer to my question from this post :)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46347285&postcount=58
Thank You,

You need to boot the Chromecast once using the USB Drive so it can set up the filesystem. After that, your computer will recognize it and you can copy the mod. Please read the first post in my FlashCast thread carefully.

sfetaz

Sep 6, 2007
Does this have any current benefits, such as allowing us to use the blocked aircast app? Or is this like the other mods which is for any potential future developments?

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Thank You,

Just read OP carefully, this is NOT a full ROM, just a mod. This should be used on top of a rooted system, like my 13300 image, so the chromecast is protected from getting Googles OTA updates.

Does this have any current benefits, such as allowing us to use the blocked aircast app? Or is this like the other mods which is for any potential future developments?

This MOD just makes it so the chromecast uses the router's advertised DNS Servers. Currently, the only benefit to this is for people who have custom DNS Servers defined on their router to get access to Netflix/Services if they are in a territory that does not normally support it. If you live in the US, and don't use custom DNS Servers, then this won't make any difference.

It pretty much just makes the chromecast work like a normal, proper DHCP device.

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks ddggttff3,
Unfortunately for me, its not working. Maybe im not so good at rooting stuff :(.
However hard I trychromecast led is still red. I tried with both USB hub and Powered OTG cable.
Initially i tried with extracting the flacast.zip file and writing the bin file to USB, but it failed, red led. Even after holding the button and plugging in the power.
Then I tried with writing the zip file to to USB using windwisk imager, same red led when power is on. just for the sake of it I used DD in mac os to write the flashcat.zip file to USB. same situation

As soon as I plug the power in( from pc usb) the led just glows white/red and then stays red , even after holding the button before plugging in the power and holding it for next 1 min.

Am I doing anything wrong here? :(. my chromecast version is 13300. I don't live in the US, so for me this ROM would have easily helped me watch netflix, since I have proxy dns setup in my router.

Please advice
Thank you.

tchebb

Jul 28, 2010
Waltham, MA
Thanks ddggttff3,
Unfortunately for me, its not working. Maybe im not so good at rooting stuff :(.
However hard I trychromecast led is still red. I tried with both USB hub and Powered OTG cable.
Initially i tried with extracting the flacast.zip file and writing the bin file to USB, but it failed, red led. Even after holding the button and plugging in the power.
Then I tried with writing the zip file to to USB using windwisk imager, same red led when power is on. just for the sake of it I used DD in mac os to write the flashcat.zip file to USB. same situation

As soon as I plug the power in( from pc usb) the led just glows white/red and then stays red , even after holding the button before plugging in the power and holding it for next 1 min.

Am I doing anything wrong here? :(. my chromecast version is 13300. I don't live in the US, so for me this ROM would have easily helped me watch netflix, since I have proxy dns setup in my router.

Please advice
Thank you.

Is your Chromecast running a stock or a rooted ROM? If it's stock 13300, you can't use this or any other FlashCast mod since the bootloader vulnerability which FlashCast uses is not present. If it's already rooted and you still have a vulnerable bootloader, you need to make sure you're using WinDiskImager or dd to write the .bin (not the .zip) file to your USB drive.

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks tchebb,
my chromecast is running on stock rock 13300, never rooted. So I guess there is not much luck for me here :(

Thanks all for the responses, hope ddggttff3 comes up with some way to root stock 13300. Will keep watching the threads.

Rooksx

Apr 3, 2011
as stated in OP, all my future rooted images will include this feature! :highfive:

Firstly, thanks very much for all your efforts. I'm getting a Chromecast today and am eager to root it and get Unlocator set up. But would it be possible to keep a version of a rooted image that doesn't use the router-assigned DNS? Reason is that I and many others in the UK have Virgin for an ISP. But the Virgin router doesn't let you change the router's DNS (at least not without connecting a second router).

Thanks.

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
You can always just flash my UnLocator DNS mod on top of any chromecast ROM, and that would remove the DHCP mod :)

Reactions: Rooksx

ninepoint

Apr 1, 2011
Bergen
A million thanks for this, my internet connects via PPTP and a set DNS so without this my CC would be trash. Works like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As requested by some users, here is a flashcast mod that will allow the chromecast to use DHCP provided DNS servers instead of the hard-coded Google DNS Servers. Expect this mod to be in all future releases of my rooted system images!

NOTE: This is NOT a standalone ROM, just a add-on, so you will need to have a rooted system image already installed to use this. Enjoy!

Download Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!wNs0QSya!bV8dD2H1CdfVPorrjWnRXzyfLXw171Zsj3L88fihZaQ

Install Instructions:
    1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2452838
    2. Download, and put eureka_image.zip on your Flashcast jump drive.
    3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
    4. Flashing will take 3~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.
    5. Once done, the device will reboot and you are good to go.

Thanks To:
    GTVHacker
    tchebb
    tvall
    ften
    Anyone Else I Missed!

Optional:
    Revert To Stock: https://mega.co.nz/#!xUUzwbLI!MdAUAGnlls3tCDAlgaLE_0USGAZrRn2ZudlmiJS4i3E (This will make your chromecast use Google's DNS servers again)
    This works well, i might just use this method rather than the harcoded dns servers images.
    As such i wouldn mind if you make dhcp dns a default from now on.

Thanks

Sent from my TouchPad using xda app-developers app

as stated in OP, all my future rooted images will include this feature! :highfive:
    You can always just flash my UnLocator DNS mod on top of any chromecast ROM, and that would remove the DHCP mod :)