[Flashcast ROM]Chromecast 13300 OTA Rooted/ADB Enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Here we have a Flashcast flashable zip with the 13300 system and kernel, which has telnet&ADB enabled, and OTA updates disabled.

Downloads:
[PwnedCast, Replacement for this ROM]: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515799

Old Downloads:
[V1.1 - Sep 26th]: https://mega.co.nz/#!BBllzagT!K5-OenCZNz-0f7n6XJ8ubS9roOwtxEWt3Eq54GJMqE0.
[V1.0 - Sep 21st]: https://mega.co.nz/#!hZ1ClT6T!ZNBzuzlkyZUtMMivozTGnngXPzJb7ZHlNit-c7xlCV4

Install Instructions:
  1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2452838
  2. Download, and put eureka_image.zip on your Flashcast jump drive. do NOT rename the file!
  3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
  4. Flashing will take 5~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.
  5. Once done, the device will reboot
  6. Enjoy a update free, rooted system!

Thanks To:
GTVHacker
tchebb
tvall
ften
Anyone Else I Missed!

Changelog:
1.1 - Added Custom Boot Animation
1.0 - Initial Release

Extras:
Custom Boot Animation: https://mega.co.nz/#!lY8GmQiZ!ORKufk5pGXyj4uhx0xGtD3wi2BtiZZEMmOPDiYlxNTE
(This is NOT a full ROM, so this must be flashed over the firmware. If you are on version 1.1, this will not change anything. Use this to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 without doing a factory reset)

Expect some cool new features to show up in the next release, which will be when the new OTA hits. I'm talking SSH, DHCP DNS, and some other secret goodies. :D

Last edited:

doctordroid

Sep 19, 2010
I tried the above steps... I had a white light then it rebooted and gave me a red light. I proceeded anyways and threw the eureka file on the drive and then held that little button down FOREVER! it was white the whole time... it then tried rebooting but no image came up. I released the button and waited... just a white light and a black screen. I yanked everything and tried just firing it up like normal... it never shows starting chromecast it just is a black screen....

(So I had your instruction page up on my TV screen but after the reboot nothing came up it was just black with a white light) and then i tried a normal boot... nothing happens. i get no starting chromecast...

any thoughts?

Last edited:

tchebb

Jul 28, 2010
Waltham, MA
I tried the above steps... I had a white light then it rebooted and gave me a red light. I proceeded anyways and threw the eureka file on the drive and then held that little button down FOREVER! it was white the whole time... it then tried rebooting but no image came up. I released the button and waited... just a white light and a black screen. I yanked everything and tried just firing it up like normal... it never shows starting chromecast it just is a black screen....

(So I had your instruction page up on my TV screen but after the reboot nothing came up it was just black with a white light) and then i tried a normal boot... nothing happens. i get no starting chromecast...

any thoughts?

You don't need to hold the button down the entire time (although it shouldn't hurt). You should only need to hold it for about 5 seconds after you connect the power for the Chromecast to boot off USB. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, but not waiting long enough for the image to flash. If you see both the instructions screen and a white light, FlashCast is in the middle of flashing. Unless the light turns red, it will automatically reboot when it's done.

doctordroid

Sep 19, 2010
You don't need to hold the button down the entire time (although it shouldn't hurt). You should only need to hold it for about 5 seconds after you connect the power for the Chromecast to boot off USB. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, but not waiting long enough for the image to flash. If you see both the instructions screen and a white light, FlashCast is in the middle of flashing. Unless the light turns red, it will automatically reboot when it's done.

I did a second time and it now showed starting chromecast but never booted up. So this time I am doing it over and I let go the light is white... When will I know it is all done flashing??? Won't the light always stay white? I am waiting for a reboot shoudl I just let it do its thing and it will automatically reboot and start up normally if all went well or do I need to disconnect the OTG cable?

Gwanatu

Oct 12, 2010
Apopka, FL
Just got a Chromecast so pardon the super noob question. If the Chromecast updates itself automatically to the newest update, will I still be able to flash this? Thanks!

tchebb

Jul 28, 2010
Waltham, MA
I did a second time and it now showed starting chromecast but never booted up. So this time I am doing it over and I let go the light is white... When will I know it is all done flashing??? Won't the light always stay white? I am waiting for a reboot shoudl I just let it do its thing and it will automatically reboot and start up normally if all went well or do I need to disconnect the OTG cable?

Yes, just wait for it to reboot on its own. It will boot into the normal image unless you hold the button, so it doesn't matter whether or not you have the OTG cable connected.

doctordroid

Sep 19, 2010
its working!!!! its working!!!!!!!:good::good::good::good::good::good:

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Just got a Chromecast so pardon the super noob question. If the Chromecast updates itself automatically to the newest update, will I still be able to flash this? Thanks!

no. it will not. the updates patch the hack

SOHKis

Apr 29, 2008
VA
flashed over fine here, setting it up now. thanks! :good:

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure if you've received an update you won't be able to flash (unless a new exploit has been found).

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota

Any chromecast that has been updated with any official OTA will be unable to use this. All of our current root methods require the insecure bootloader, which came stock with the chromecast. any OTA would have updated, and secured the bootloader.

Reactions: MarkOden and SOHKis

Hulkanator

Nov 22, 2010
Chino
when reading the instructions it says to copy the eureka.zip file to the usb and install to the chromecast. my light stays red and wont install.the link to flash cast shows copy the file with win32disk imager in the .bin file format. eureka.zip is about 85 megs and flashcast.bin is about 20 megs.
what am i missing? i thought that you can only install in a .bin format.help please.thank you.

am i supposed to use win32disk imager with flashcast.bin then eureka.zip?

Last edited:

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
when reading the instructions it says to copy the eureka.zip file to the usb and install to the chromecast. my light stays red and wont install.the link to flash cast shows copy the file with win32disk imager in the .bin file format. eureka.zip is about 85 megs and flashcast.bin is about 20 megs.
what am i missing? i thought that you can only install in a .bin format.help please.thank you.

am i supposed to use win32disk imager with flashcast.bin then eureka.zip?

First you win32disk the FlashCast.bin from the other thread, and then boot it on the chromecast as is. You do this to install FlashCast to the drive. After a bit, the chromecast should reboot. Once it does, take the jump drive, plug it into a PC, and then put the eureka_image.zip on the jumpdrive. Now boot the jumpdrive on the chromecast again, and it will install the ROM.

tl;dr Read this thread, and the FlashCast thread fully.

Reactions: DC_MTP

ddggttff3

Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
I was wondering what is blocking us from doing a DNS hijack and do the same rooted image update via OTA method?

The below thread mentions about the OTA request response:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450120

So can't the response be hijacked from a local webserver and serve the rooted image as update?

-morchu

All official OTA updates are signed by google, so any modified zip's would fail to flash once loaded into recovery. They also check the firmwares build date to make sure no one downgrades.

Reactions: DC_MTP

morchu

Mar 13, 2009
Thanks. Obviously !!!
Forgot the fact that google want this to be closed system.

So I believe it is only authentican enabled at this point. Possibly the images may become encrypted in future, if google want to keep it closed.

All official OTA updates are signed by google, so any modified zip's would fail to flash once loaded into recovery. They also check the firmwares build date to make sure no one downgrades.

raydekok

Mar 16, 2009
Amersfoort
Thanks. Obviously !!!
Forgot the fact that google want this to be closed system.

So I believe it is only authentican enabled at this point. Possibly the images may become encrypted in future, if google want to keep it closed.

i'm hoping on one of those smart kids out here who find a way to flash the last 13300 build.

kozmo2k4

First of all, thank you, @ddggttff3, for all the work you, and all other devs, are putting into this device.
Got this flashed over tvall's image.
Looks like it flashed OK: saw the info screen during flash, then it rebooted and set up screen came up.
A couple of questions:
Q1: is it suppose to say in Chromecast app: Firmware 13300 ?
Q2: I can Telnet and adb into the ChromCast fine. But after flashing this, I can't ssh in anymore... is it turned off?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here we have a Flashcast flashable zip with the 13300 system and kernel, which has telnet&ADB enabled, and OTA updates disabled.

Downloads:
    [PwnedCast, Replacement for this ROM]: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515799

Old Downloads:
    [V1.1 - Sep 26th]: https://mega.co.nz/#!BBllzagT!K5-OenCZNz-0f7n6XJ8ubS9roOwtxEWt3Eq54GJMqE0.
    [V1.0 - Sep 21st]: https://mega.co.nz/#!hZ1ClT6T!ZNBzuzlkyZUtMMivozTGnngXPzJb7ZHlNit-c7xlCV4

Install Instructions:
    1. Setup and Install Flashcast on a Jump Drive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2452838
    2. Download, and put eureka_image.zip on your Flashcast jump drive. do NOT rename the file!
    3. Plug the Flashcast jump drive into the chromecast, hold the button, and plug in power to boot the device.
    4. Flashing will take 5~ minutes, be patient! As long as the chromecast LED is white, it is working.
    5. Once done, the device will reboot
    6. Enjoy a update free, rooted system!

Thanks To:
    GTVHacker
    tchebb
    tvall
    ften
    Anyone Else I Missed!

Changelog:
    1.1 - Added Custom Boot Animation
    1.0 - Initial Release

Extras:
    Custom Boot Animation: https://mega.co.nz/#!lY8GmQiZ!ORKufk5pGXyj4uhx0xGtD3wi2BtiZZEMmOPDiYlxNTE
    (This is NOT a full ROM, so this must be flashed over the firmware. If you are on version 1.1, this will not change anything. Use this to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 without doing a factory reset)

Expect some cool new features to show up in the next release, which will be when the new OTA hits. I'm talking SSH, DHCP DNS, and some other secret goodies. :D
    Great work! Now I can stop screwing with a device I don't own.
    Flashcast1.1.1 was installed successfully(Step 1). Then I formatted the usb drive and copied eureka_image.zip to it. I just realized I was wrong. Can I do the step 1 again? Will re-install Flashcast1.1.1 brick the chromecast?
    Or is there any other way to build Flashcast jump drive?
    1. Write the FlashCast .bin file to USB stick via dd (Mac/Linux) or win32diskimager (Win)
    2. Unplug power from Chromecast
    3. Plug powered USB OTG cable into Chromecast without power connected (don't connect power to OTG cable yet!)
    4. Plug FlashCast USB stick into USB OTG socket
    5. Connect power to OTG cable while holding down the button on Chromecast until you see the FlashCast screen (in some cases it may be necessary to hold it down the entire time until reboot).
    6. Wait until Chromecast reboots
    7. Remove the USB stick
    8. Plug USB stick back into your computer
    9. Copy your desired firmware or mod to the USB stick (it should be labelled FLASHCAST) as eureka_image.zip (rename as necessary, and for Win make sure file extensions are not hidden)
    10. Unplug power from Chromecast
    11. Plug USB OTG cable into Chromecast
    12. Plug FlashCast USB stick into USB OTG socket
    13. Apply power while holding down the button on Chromecast until you see the FlashCast screen (in some cases it may be necessary to hold it down the entire time until reboot).
    14. Wait until Chromecast reboots

Video for above is here.

Steps 1-6 only need to be done once until a new FlashCast update is released.

Steps 7-14 must be performed to flash a rooted firmware with stock OTA updates disabled such as PwnedCast to Chromecast, or you will still be auto-updated and lose root.
    After you have a rooted firmware that doesn't get stock OTA updates you are safe from being un-rooted by any stock OTA updates, now you are safe to add any additional mods or new firmware (PwnedCast auto-updates itself so you shouldn't need to worry about updating PwnedCast unless you're the impatient type and want an update as soon as it's released).

Steps 7-14 need to be done for each firmware or mod you want to flash to your rooted Chromecast.
    I think it happened because I had renamed your image to: eureka_image.13300.zip before flash. Would that affect it?

Yes, it needs to keep the name eureka_image.zip as that is the file name Flashcast looks for.
    Currently uploading Version 1.1. Only difference, is a custom boot animation so it is easier to verify the firmware was flashed successfully. This is an optional update. I also have a flashable file that will just update the boot animation, so if you are on version 1.0, I recommend installing that so you don't have to set your chromecast up again.

Here is what the new boot animation will look like:
    wuhHLhE.jpg