• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flashed Pixel 4a with Pixel 5 image by mistake

Search This thread

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
Hello,

I'm desperate and i hope to find here any kind of help to get my phone works again.

By mistake i flashed my Phone pixel 4a with a pixel 5 image, now my phone pixel 4a is stuck in QDL mode, and not responding to any of recovery/fastboot key combination "power+volume up or down or both".
For the last 2 days i was surfing online, and i found out that, that i need a factory mbn file to flash the phone using QFiL to regain fastboot mode and be able to flash the phone with the right stock image.

Could anyone please help me or guide me, where can i find the pixel 4a mbn file, or maybe build it from google source code, or maybe another solution i don't know about to get my phone working again?!

Any help would be so appreciated. 🙏
Thank you

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
Anyone could help me please with Android Image Kitchen, I tried it, but I don't know how exactly to get the mbn file, as far as i know, mbn file is some kind of factory image that in hex format file with .mbn extension.

The main cause of this issue, that the bootloader.img which get flashed first, is the one caused the phone to reboot and stuck into QDL mode.

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
I've used it to unpack a TWRP image, and it extracted all the files of it fine.

I guess google is using some other format for their img.
It is working fine with boot.img, system.img, but not with this one bootloader-sunfish-s5-0.3-7062598.img, and that file when i run imjtool, it extracted the following files:
abl
aop
cmnlib
cmnlib64
devcfg
hyp
keymaster
logfs
qupfw
tz
uefisecapp
xbl
xbl_config

and sure none of them is not mbn file.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
How do you know you phone is stuck in this "QDL" mode?

Can you shut off the phone?

And when you press and hold vol-down and power on - what happens?

Also, I found this thread that the last post seems to say that it took 5 full minutes for the phone to be accessible:

Reactions: ahmed.elsersi

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
How do you know you phone is stuck in this "QDL" mode?

Can you shut off the phone?

And when you press and hold vol-down and power on - what happens?

Also, I found this thread that the last post seems to say that it took 5 full minutes for the phone to be accessible:

The phone does not respond to power+volume key combination, and when i connected to windows machine it shows up in device manager "qualcomm HS-USB 9008" and on Linux when i run lsusb command it shows Qualcomm QDL mode.
I'll go through that post and give it a try.

I really appreciate the help, and thank you so much for your time.🙏

Reactions: JohnC

TheSayaMan

Sep 12, 2016
Reactions: ahmed.elsersi

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
I would like to thank everyone who tried to help me here, I really appreciate your time trying to do so.

Please allow me to explain it again, because none of the solutions above can solve my issue:

I flashed my phone pixel 4a with a pixel 5 image by mistake, as you can see in flash-all.sh script, the first step is to flash the bootloader.img file, and then reboot, my phone did that flash for bootloader.img and rebooted to QDL mode, and stuck there, black screen of death, none of the key combinations work, power+volume up or down or both. The only thing that shows my phone is still alive is when i connect it to a Linux machine and run lsusb command it shows this:

Qualcomm, Inc. Gobi Wireless Modem (QDL mode)

and on Windows, the device manager shows:

Qualcomm HS-USB 9008

My phone pixel 4a has no fastboot mode or recovery mode, only QDL mode, and as far as i know from the research i did on the last 3 days, that i need a factory image mbn file for pixel 4a, which i can use it to flash my phone using QFiL(qualcomm flash image loader) and regain fastboot mode, and that mbn file i do not know where can i get it or how to generate it.

Thank you and may God bless you all

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
Google Pixel 4a
Do you know how to do the extract?, I have QPST program, but i do not know the extract option.

Thank You.
I am unsure first time I've used the program but there is a one called emmc software download that seems useful , also the files need are in super_empty.img , if you can find a way to extract it ,it will have the files needed to fix it , I already got my replacement device so I can not test anything only try to obtain files ,super_empty.img is the partition layout to restore the system and include the radio firmware to give you service

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_191512657.jpg
    PXL_20210428_191512657.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 52

Top Liked Posts