• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flashed Pixel 4a with Pixel 5 image by mistake

Search This thread

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
I am unsure first time I've used the program but there is a one called emmc software download that seems useful , also the files need are in super_empty.img , if you can find a way to extract it ,it will have the files needed to fix it , I already got my replacement device so I can not test anything only try to obtain files ,super_empty.img is the partition layout to restore the system and include the radio firmware to give you service
Thank You so much, I really appreciate the help and your time doing so.

Unfortunately, i can see you're using Pixel XL, which using emmc as its storage, pixel 4a using UFS as a storage, and I'm a little worry to use that programm, also super_empty.img in sunfish image is only 8.0kb size and contains only the partion layout:
product_a.img
product_b.img
system_a.img
system_b.img
system_ext_a.img
system_ext_b.img
vendor_a.img
vendor_b.img

and all these file's size is 0.0kb

If you have time, could you please share more info with me, like from where should i get the software, and what steps did you take to achieve that?, also i hope you did it while the phone in EDL mode, because that's the only state the phone is in right now, and nothing worked to change it.

Thank You again

miko12312

Sep 11, 2009
Google Pixel 4a
Thank You so much, I really appreciate the help and your time doing so.

Unfortunately, i can see you're using Pixel XL, which using emmc as its storage, pixel 4a using UFS as a storage, and I'm a little worry to use that programm, also super_empty.img in sunfish image is only 8.0kb size and contains only the partion layout:
product_a.img
product_b.img
system_a.img
system_b.img
system_ext_a.img
system_ext_b.img
vendor_a.img
vendor_b.img

and all these file's size is 0.0kb

If you have time, could you please share more info with me, like from where should i get the software, and what steps did you take to achieve that?, also i hope you did it while the phone in EDL mode, because that's the only state the phone is in right now, and nothing worked to change it.

Thank You again
It's a pixel 4a that is the files for it latest April update files ,and it's a small file because it just has partition layouts ,I believe the super_empty is a different format I believe ex-fat 2 i

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
It's a pixel 4a that is the files for it latest April update files ,and it's a small file because it just has partition layouts ,I believe the super_empty is a different format I believe ex-fat 2 i
from Linux when i run "file" command on super_empty.img, the output is this:

super_empty.img: data , which is not ex-fat 2

I'm really sorry, I got lost now, what should I do exactly ?

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
Find a way to convert the image to a different format ext-4 can't remember off the top of my head ,extract using # on 7zip command
The super_empty.img is just an 8kb size, converting it to an ext4 file is useless, as i did extracted it already.

All I need is a factory image in .mbn file format, or a way to load the existing one from google which is in .zip format to the phone in EDL mode, or someone to till me which file in the google factory image can be downloaded to the phone in EDL mode.

Thank You for your time.

biTToe

Jul 11, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
I know this thread is a few months old.
Did you resolve the issue?

have you tried this?

It's probably a long-shot, but it may connect in the current mode.

And then there is this:

Some googleing seems to suggest that EDL and QDL modes are the same.

ƒ

Last edited:

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
Have you solved this problem, I am in the same situation as you.need help
I was lucky to return the phone and get my money back.

There is nothing to solve this issue unless you got the mbn files, which is more likely is a Google proprietary, as usual.

if you did logged in to your google account on your phone, you might still be able to contact google support, and if your phone still under warranty, they must fix the phone.

ahmed.elsersi

Oct 1, 2010
Did you manage to revive your Pixel 4a?
If yes, could you post a step-by-step instruction how you did it to help others facing the same problem?
Did you read the whole post before asking me this, specially my replies ?

Second, once you get the mbn file, reviving your phone back is an easy task, and you will find many posts here explaining how to do it. Many thanks to @Spaceminer for the mbn file.

Reactions: wireroot

wireroot

Jan 3, 2019
Did you read the whole post before asking me this, specially my replies ?
Thanks and mea culpa - I read back from the beginning before posting as I've been watching this thread from some time but then must have completely overlooked your post from July 3rd
My intention was to conserve your experience for other users with the same problem (fortunately not me at the moment) but as you know: the road to hell is paved with good intentions 😊

Top Liked Posts