• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Flashed the wrong boot/vbmeta image

Search This thread

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
hey! a question to all the pros here: i just went to unlock and root the new pixel 6 pro of a buddy and missed that the phone was only updated to the 036 nov build (and not the 037 one). however, for the rooting process i went with the factory image of the latest nov build (the 037 one) and thus flashed vbmeta and a patched boot img from that build on the 036 one, that was installed. is this mismatch somewhat harmful to the device? thanks guys!

rc chanu

Aug 29, 2016
telangana
Samsung Galaxy F62
hey! a question to all the pros here: i just went to unlock and root the new pixel 6 pro of a buddy and missed that the phone was only updated to the 036 nov build (and not the 037 one). however, for the rooting process i went with the factory image of the latest nov build (the 037 one) and thus flashed vbmeta and a patched boot img from that build on the 036 one, that was installed. is this mismatch somewhat harmful to the device? thanks guys!
nothing harmful but mismatch images will not boot your system so restore the system back to get it fixed.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, if in doubt just flash the entire .037 factory image to start completely clean, either with removing the -w to wipe, or not removing, your choice to try but probably fine not wiping, as long as verity and verification are both already disabled. Just make sure and add the verity and verification disable switches in place of the -w if you do flash the whole factory image.

Reactions: xflowy and galaxys

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yeah, if in doubt just flash the entire .037 factory image to start completely clean, either with removing the -w to wipe, or not removing, your choice to try but probably fine not wiping, as long as verity and verification are both already disabled. Just make sure and add the verity and verification disable switches in place of the -w if you do flash the whole factory image.
thanks guys!
so if i flash the factory image again, i am good and there wont be damages done anyhow?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
thanks guys!
so if i flash the factory image again, i am good and there wont be damages done anyhow?
Yep, you're good. Same as @rc chanu said, there's not going to be any lasting damage no matter what - just at worst your phone won't work right until you flashback to proper stock. (just for emphasis) Just reminder to always put the disable verity and verification switches in, now and any other time in the future you flash the stock image, otherwise you'd have to wipe user data once you have any and start from complete scratch.

rc chanu

Aug 29, 2016
telangana
Samsung Galaxy F62
Yep, you're good. Same as @rc chanu said, there's not going to be any lasting damage no matter what - just at worst your phone won't work right until you flashback to proper stock. (just for emphasis) Just reminder to always put the disable verity and verification switches in, now and any other time in the future you flash the stock image, otherwise you'd have to wipe user data once you have any and start from complete scratch.
Do you know how to flash null vbmeta? If yes please help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    nothing harmful but mismatch images will not boot your system so restore the system back to get it fixed.
    thanks guys!
    thanks guys!
    Yes
    Do you know how to flash null vbmeta? If yes please help
    I don't know what null vbmeta is. I found some Google search results that could help you though (right here on XDA).