How To Guide Flashing a Xperia 1 iii without unlocking

Search This thread
Thanks a lot for your confirmation! My Xperia is my primary phone, so I didn't try it. Please tell me if all Google Pay cards are still there and if the android smartwatch is still connected!
Newflasher has the keep Userdata function built in now. I just tried it for the latest firmware update, and it works as expected. All my Google Pay cards are still there and WearOS smartwatch is still connected.

yes i try reboot several times but still no go. or i should select what to flash in the process
You should leave every file in the firmware folder intact, only copy the Newflasher files into the firmware folder. Use the latest version of Newflasher. In Newflasher you can skip Gordongate driver and skip dump trim area. And for userdata that's your choice if you want to keep it or not, if you don't keep userdata your phone will be factory reset. Maybe try with the userdata wipe if you can't fix your problem with any other method? Of course you should backup all data stored on your phone before you do this.

tanipat

Nov 22, 2011
You should leave every file in the firmware folder intact, only copy the Newflasher files into the firmware folder. Use the latest version of Newflasher. In Newflasher you can skip Gordongate driver and skip dump trim area. And for userdata that's your choice if you want to keep it or not, if you don't keep userdata your phone will be factory reset. Maybe try with the userdata wipe if you can't fix your problem with any other method? Of course you should backup all data stored on your phone before you do this.
Yes I do like all instruction, anyhow do you confirm flash BC72 to BC52 phone works normally? So i will try it again tonight, as i alreay flash back the original one when appears it not working mobile network. Thanks

PlatinCH

Sep 16, 2008
Was already someone been able to get back to original firmware?
I tried to flash back to original TW firmware with newflasher. Unfortunately, the build numer is still with "release-keys". So I tried to get back with Sony Companion, but always get an UE-Error (I think, it was UE_200).

Someone has a solution for this problem?

Frederick888

Dec 14, 2012
I also experienced boot loop after following OP's guide.

To recover, and later flash ROMs again, I had to connect the phone first before running newflasher set_active:a. So step by step:
  1. Power off phone.
  2. Connect phone to computer while holding down volume down button until LED turns green.
  3. Run newflasher set_active:a (On Linux I needed sudo, unless you update udev I think). It'll actually say something like phone responded with ok etc.
  4. Run newflasher again (without arguments)
In retrospect this was kinda obvious... newflasher itself hasn't got any persistence so it should be something you tell the phone to do.

val92

Nov 30, 2017
i cant even get it into flash mode, have tried about 5 different cables, differnt usb ports. any suggestions as to why its not working? oem unlocking is enabled, usb debugging is enabled.
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Things needed:​

1. An Xperia 1 iii (of corse)
    2. A Windows PC (I don't know if there's a Mac or Linux version, but I didn't find it)
    3. A reliable USB-C cable
    4. NewFlasher
    Download: [TOOL] Newflasher (xperia command line flasher)
    5. XperiFirm
    Download: Tool Archives - XperiFirm Tool

!!!FIRST THING FIRST!!! BACKUP EVERYTHING IMPORTANT
    FLASHING A PHONE MAY CAUSE DATA LOSS. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATA.

1. Download and unzip the XperiFirm and select the ROM you want in the Available Firmware list and download.

1630284680880.png
    1630284688276.png

2. Once downloaded, unzip the NewFlasher into the ROM folder.

Your folder should look like this:
    1630284714239.png

3. Start a command line in the ROM folder and run "newflasher set_active:a" otherwise your phone will boot into a bootloop.

1630284724477.png

4. Power off your phone and plug it into your PC. Hold the volume down button and the power button until the LED turns GREEN.

5. Now you can double click on the newflasher.exe in your ROM folder and follow the guide. You can keep user data while flashing, just pay attention on the instructions on the Newflasher.

6. Don't disturb the flasher while it is working. Your phone will automatically turn on after the flashing is completed.

My Xperia was purchased in China (XQ-BC72). I have tried many ROMs like Hong Kong and Taiwan versions. Recently I flashed my phone with the XQ-BC62 ROM and everything works very well (mobile data, voice calling, data roaming, dual SIM, exposure alert, etc.). However, I haven't try VoLTE because my carrier doesn't support it (SO SAD).
    I'm in Canada and my carrier is CMLink. The data icon for LTE shows 4G if you're curious.
    The DRM is not damaged that the Windvine security level is still L1 so you can still enjoy the HDR content on Netflix after flashing using this method.

UPDATE Sept. 28, 2021

I flashed my XQ-BC72 back. I have several issues while using the XQ-BC62 ROM.

The US ROM doesn't include my carrier's configuration so VoLTE, VoWiFi, showing LTE instead of 4G is not working. According to other threads, T-Mobile doesn't have the configuration as well and someone mentioned only Google Fi users can get a configuration (NOT SURE).
    Actually, I didn't find any difference between the XQ-BC62 and the XQ-BC72 ROMs (I'm in Canada).

Although the phone is working fine, the LTE is auto-disconnecting every 30 seconds, while HSPA+ doesn't have this issue. I don't think it's my carrier's problem because I bought a new Fido sim card and it's still disconnecting until I flash it back. So if your LTE works fine, please share your solution down below if you don't mind.
    I have heard that the new update 61.0.a.11.92 is enhancing the network performance. I don't know if it's because I didn't update my phone. I don't wanna "play" with my ROM since this is my daily using phone.
    Thanks to DennisDD78 who discovered that the OTA is not available if a non-native ROM is flashed, even it's all XQ-BC72. Still, if you make your OTA work, please share your solution!

UPDATE Nov. 26, 2021

I didn’t update the post due to the heavy university work (so sad).
    You can keep your data during flashing now by simply choose an option while flashing, as the Newflasher is up-to-date. But still please backup your important data before flashing.
    I can confirm that Gpay and android wear work perfectly after flashing, even a cross-model flashing.
    Flashing a different rom doesn’t bring any carrier feature like VoLTE and VoWiFi, see this post.
    I also tried XQ-BC62 roms again and also XQ-BC52 roms. Same issue, LTE disconnects every 10 seconds, and it brought no new features at all. I haven’t tried those Japanese roms. If you have any experience, please share.
    Here are the instructions for keeping data intact while flashing firmware in Newflasher on the Xperia 1 III:

If you only delete userdata.sin, your data partition will be corrupt and you will be forced to factory reset and lose all your data.

To prevent this from happening, not only do you have to delete userdata.sin, but also appslog.sin, diag.sin and metadata.sin from the firmware folder as well. Found this by checking the update.xml file in the firmware folder, all required sin files to delete are listed as "<NOERASE>".

@Forbesii feel free to edit your original post to include this important information.
    Hi VO7T

Thanks for the tip.
    Question, since the Android 13 is out now is there a way to update it without losing all the info in the phone.?

Follow that video you will not lose any data.
    Hi Anmolkakkar, i did all the above mentioned. Below is the screenshot.
    View attachment 5683201
    When I pressed any key to continue in newflasher.exe it automatically closes. I'm using the stock usb type C cable from Sony.

Is there anything that i need to do at developer options or in the recovery mode?

Thanks in advance for your guidance
    ***Latest Update***

Successfully flashed it SEA firmware after 4 attempts. it works so far. Getting the VoLTE already since im in Malaysia. Special thanks anmolkakkar and Hotcakes_shinku. Missed installing the flash driver.. Hope this sort out my network drops.

Thanks again. Appreciate very much

Things needed:​

1. An Xperia 1 iii (of corse)
    2. A Windows PC (I don't know if there's a Mac or Linux version, but I didn't find it)
    3. A reliable USB-C cable
    4. NewFlasher
    Download: [TOOL] Newflasher (xperia command line flasher)
    5. XperiFirm
    Download: Tool Archives - XperiFirm Tool

!!!FIRST THING FIRST!!! BACKUP EVERYTHING IMPORTANT
    FLASHING A PHONE WILL CAUSE DATA LOSS. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATA.

1. Download and unzip the XperiFirm and select the ROM you want in the Available Firmware list and download.

View attachment 5396817View attachment 5396819

2. Once downloaded, unzip the NewFlasher into the ROM folder.

Your folder should look like this:
    View attachment 5396821

3. Start a command line in the ROM folder and run "newflasher set_active:a" otherwise your phone will boot into a bootloop.

View attachment 5396823

4. Power off your phone and plug it into your PC. Hold the volume down button and the power button until the LED turns GREEN.

5. Now you can double click on the newflasher.exe in your ROM folder and follow the guide.

6. Don't disturb the flasher while it is working. Your phone will automatically turn on after the flashing is completed.

My Xperia was purchased in China (XQ-BC72). I have tried many ROMs like Hong Kong and Taiwan versions. Recently I flashed my phone with the XQ-BC62 ROM and everything works very well (mobile data, voice calling, data roaming, dual SIM, exposure alert, etc.). However, I haven't try VoLTE because my carrier doesn't support it (SO SAD).
    I'm in Canada and my carrier is CMLink. The data icon for LTE shows 4G if you're curious.
    The DRM is not damaged that the Windvine security level is still L1 so you can still enjoy the HDR content on Netflix after flashing using this method.
    Could you please tell me the difference between the XQ-BC62 ROM and other ROMs for example the Taiwan versions. Thanks for your reply.