How To Guide Flashing firmware with Newflasher on Xperia 1 III without losing data

Search This thread
EDIT: The latest update to Newflasher (v52) built in the functionality to keep user data intact as a prompt while flashing.

Version 52 is out!

- version 52 (01.10.2021)
Implemented userprompt for keeping userdata, thanks @OhayouBaka for figuring out! Removed bootloader log retrieval

In short explanation all files marked with NOERASE inside update.xml is in relation to factory reset, so skiping files marked with NOERASE preserves userdata while flashing. Thanks OhayouBaka for figuring that out! Now newflasher have yes no promp for keeping userdata or making clean installation with factory reset. Bootloader log is removed since I found nothing usefull there.

As some people here who have owned previous Xperia devices may already know, to keep data while flashing firmware in Newflasher, you have to delete the userdata.sin file in the firmware folder.

However on the Xperia 1 III, this has changed.

If you only delete userdata.sin, your data partition will be corrupt and you will be forced to factory reset and lose all your data.

To prevent this from happening, not only do you have to delete userdata.sin, but also appslog.sin, diag.sin and metadata.sin from the firmware folder as well.

Found this by checking the update.xml file in the firmware folder, all required sin files to delete are listed as "<NOERASE>".

Unfortunately I had to learn this the hard way, but hopefully this post will save Xperia 1 III owners in the future from accidentally being forced to factory reset their devices when using Newflasher.

If you need the full instructions on flashing firmware that this guide compliments, check this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/flashing-a-xperia-1-iii-without-unlocking.4326235/

Last edited:

DennisDD78

Apr 22, 2011
Vladivostok
As some people here who have owned previous Xperia devices may already know, to keep data while flashing firmware in Newflasher, you have to delete the userdata.sin file in the firmware folder.

If you only delete userdata.sin, your data partition will be corrupt and you will be forced to factory reset and lose all your data.

To prevent this from happening, not only do you have to delete userdata.sin, but also appslog.sin, diag.sin and metadata.sin from the firmware folder as well.

Found this by checking the update.xml file in the firmware folder, all required sin files to delete are listed as "<NOERASE>".

Unfortunately I had to learn this the hard way, but hopefully this post will save Xperia 1 III owners in the future from accidentally being forced to factory reset their devices when using Newflasher.

If you need the full instructions on flashing firmware that this guide compliments, check this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/flashing-a-xperia-1-iii-without-unlocking.4326235/
First of all, thank you very much for this research.
If i understood right, i can update device this way and it will be essentially the same as updating the device via OTA, right ?

And all system settings should remain ?

By the way, just wanted to clearify something, you mentioned about update.xml file in the firmware folder, should i edit it somehow before flashing, or just delete those four files from f/w folder ?
Yeah system settings will remain too. Just leave update.xml alone, dont delete it. Only delete the four files that I mentioned from the f/w folder.

Reactions: DennisDD78

tonysunshine

Jun 4, 2009
Sony Xperia 1 III
so I had to jump through a few threads to figure out the details on how to update a magisk rooted x1m3 to the latest firmware without wiping(dirty flash). Figured I'd write out the steps here for others benefits

1 - download the firmware with Xperifirm

2 - download newflasher and extract to the firmware folder

3 - delete the following files from the firmware folder for no wipe dirty flash - userdata.sin, appslog.sin, diag.sin and metadata.sin. Skip this step if you're using Newflasher v52 and above

4 - download UnSin and extract to the firmware folder

5 - in the firmware folder, drag and drop boot_X-FLASH-ALL-*.sin into unsin.exe, and it will generate a boot_X-FLASH-ALL*.img in the same folder

6 - copy the boot_X-FLASH-ALL*.img onto your phone's sdcard somewhere.

7 - using magisk manager, install magisk and use the "select and patch a file" method. Select the boot_X-FLASH-All*.img file. This will generate a magisk_patched*.img onto your phone's sdcard

8 - download and extract platform-tools. Copy the magisk_patched*.img file from your phone's sdcard into the platform-tools folder on the computer. Rename the file to simply "magisk_patched.img"

9 - back up the phone

10 - shut down the phone, plug in a usb-c cable to the computer, then while holding the volume DOWN button, plug in the usb-c cable to the phone. The LED indicator should be GREEN indicating FLASHMODE

11 - open up cmd prompt, and navigate to the firmware folder from step 1. Type in the following command
Code:
newflasher set_active:a
then hit enter. You should see result like this
1633113480846.png

12 - in windows explorer, navigate to the firmware folder, and double click on newflasher.exe(phone should still be in FLASHMODE). Respond to the prompts - n gordongate, p power off, n trim

13 - wait for the flashing of the new firmware to finish

14 - disconnect the phone from the usb cable, and power it back up. Check and make sure you have all your data/apps/etc. At this point it should boot into the rom just fine, but won't have root access and magisk will show that its not installed

15 - power off the phone again. This time, press the volume UP button while plugging in the USB-C cable. LED indicator should be BLUE for FASTBOOT

16 - open up a new cmd prompt, navigate to the platform-tools folder. Type
Code:
fastboot devices
and hit enter to confirm your phone is connected. Should respond with an alphanumeric number and the term fastboot

17 - type the following commands into cmd prompt
Code:
fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img
fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img
fastboot reboot

18 - DONE. Your phone should be on the new firmware with root and all your data/apps/etc

props to @Miustone, @OhayouBaka, @Forbesii for the original instructions. I just sort of put it all in one place
fingers crossed a great dev will come along and give us TWRP soon!

Last edited:

HowDoIVoIP

Apr 29, 2013
www.youtube.com
tony, I appreciate the guide but having never rooted or flashed a sony device, can I follow your guide to a T or do I sort of have to follow the main guide by Miustone as well as yours?

For example, he mentions installing "Fastboot" and "Flashmode" drivers by rebooting Windows 10 and installing them with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled. You didn't mention this, so I'm just trying to determine if I need to sort of follow both guides.
so I had to jump through a few threads to figure out the details on how to update a magisk rooted x1m3 to the latest firmware without wiping(dirty flash). Figured I'd write out the steps here for others benefits

3 - delete the following files from the firmware folder for no wipe dirty flash - userdata.sin, appslog.sin, diag.sin and metadata.sin. Skip this step if you're using Newflasher v52 and above

5 - in the firmware folder, drag and drop boot_X-FLASH-ALL-*.sin into unsin.exe, and it will generate a boot_X-FLASH-ALL*.img in the same folder

7 - using magisk manager, install magisk and use the "select and patch a file" method. Select the boot_X-FLASH-All*.img file. This will generate a magisk_patched*.img onto your phone's sdcard

8 - download and extract platform-tools. Copy the magisk_patched*.img file from your phone's sdcard into the platform-tools folder on the computer. Rename the file to simply "magisk_patched.img"

9 - back up the phone

10 - shut down the phone, plug in a usb-c cable to the computer, then while holding the volume DOWN button, plug in the usb-c cable to the phone. The LED indicator should be GREEN indicating FLASHMODE

11 - open up cmd prompt, and navigate to the firmware folder from step 1. Type in the following command
Code:
View attachment 5423107

12 - in windows explorer, navigate to the firmware folder, and double click on newflasher.exe(phone should still be in FLASHMODE). Respond to the prompts - n gordongate, p power off, n trim

14 - disconnect the phone from the usb cable, and power it back up. Check and make sure you have all your data/apps/etc. At this point it should boot into the rom just fine, but won't have root access and magisk will show that its not installed

15 - power off the phone again. This time, press the volume UP button while plugging in the USB-C cable. LED indicator should be BLUE for FASTBOOT

Code:
fastboot devices
and hit enter to confirm your phone is connected. Should respond with an alphanumeric number and the term fastboot

Code:
fastboot reboot

18 - DONE. Your phone should be on the new firmware with root and all your data/apps/etc

props to @Miustone, @OhayouBaka, @Forbesii for the original instructions. I just sort of put it all in one place

tony, I appreciate the guide but having never rooted or flashed a sony device, can I follow your guide to a T or do I sort of have to follow the main guide [email protected] Miustone as well as yours?
For example, he mentions installing "Fastboot" and "Flashmode" drivers by rebooting Windows 10 and installing them with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled. You didn't mention this, so I'm just trying to determine if I need to sort of follow both guides.

tonysunshine

Jun 4, 2009
Sony Xperia 1 III
tony, I appreciate the guide but having never rooted or flashed a sony device, can I follow your guide to a T or do I sort of have to follow the main guide [email protected] Miustone as well as yours?
Yeah you will want to follow @Miustone 's guide first. I wrote mine assuming the phone has already been bootloader unlocked and rooted and the PC is setup already

Reactions: HowDoIVoIP

HowDoIVoIP

Apr 29, 2013
www.youtube.com
Yeah you will want to follow @Miustone 's guide first. I wrote mine assuming the phone has already been bootloader unlocked and rooted and the PC is setup already
Well thanks anyway, dude. I just followed most of his tutorial through step 4 all the way to fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img
and then I just followed you with fastboot reboot without doing fastboot -w to wipe it. Well, it was wiped anyway. I guess I don't know what I expected. Lost everything and it's still not ****ing rooted - at least according to Youtube Vanced.

1637982098295.png

Ugh. This blows. We need better instructions. What was the point of flashing exactly when all it did was ERASE everything and not even grant you root?

1637982215521.png

Now I don't know what to do. I didn't even get to your "newflasher" here because I was following main guide and I stopped at the end of step 4 like like others said. I only wanted root. I didn't want to flash a new ROM.

Edit: Re-installed Magisk and now I can grant superuser. I still think these instructions need to be clearer for those of us who haven't rooted anything in thousands of years.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: The latest update to Newflasher (v52) built in the functionality to keep user data intact as a prompt while flashing.

Version 52 is out!

- version 52 (01.10.2021)
    Implemented userprompt for keeping userdata, thanks @OhayouBaka for figuring out! Removed bootloader log retrieval

In short explanation all files marked with NOERASE inside update.xml is in relation to factory reset, so skiping files marked with NOERASE preserves userdata while flashing. Thanks OhayouBaka for figuring that out! Now newflasher have yes no promp for keeping userdata or making clean installation with factory reset. Bootloader log is removed since I found nothing usefull there.

9 - back up the phone

Code:
    1633113480846.png

Code:
    fastboot devices

Code:
    fastboot reboot

And all system settings should remain ?

By the way, just wanted to clearify something, you mentioned about update.xml file in the firmware folder, should i edit it somehow before flashing, or just delete those four files from f/w folder ?
    Yeah system settings will remain too. Just leave update.xml alone, dont delete it. Only delete the four files that I mentioned from the f/w folder.