How To Guide Flashing GSI roms on Redmi Note 10S and then fixing some issues, all without any custom recovery

Search This thread

oxxo.andatti

Mar 28, 2017
Redmi Note 10S
Has someone happened to install Pixel Experience 12.1 v415 and the device always restarts in recovery, it could be vbmeta.img, someone by chance has this file for this version of GSI

Feb 19, 2022
First I would like to thank all contributors to this thread, and especially @RandomAccessVemuri. I own a Redmi Note 10s for a few months now, and I was tired about miui so I installed a GSI rom.
I have two unsolved issues however :
  1. I was unable to install DotOS (this exact image), on first boot I get infinite DotOS logo, up to 15 minutes. Does somebody have an idea about that ? That as my first GSI attempt.
  2. Using the exact same procedure (the one described in the post #1), I was however able to install Pixel Experience. Almost everything works very well with all the small fixes described in this thread... But there are two annoying sound issues described below.
  • Less annoying : during a call, passing to handsfree mode (speaker) "works", but after that if I disable handfree mode my interlocutor doesn't hear me anymore. I still can hear him however. The only way to re-establish the communication is to enable handsfree mode again. Also, it seems that my mic gain doesn't properly increase while in handsfree mode, but I'm not sure about that point.
  • More annoying : the in-call volume doesn't change and its very, very loud. Using the hardware buttons the corresponding visual slider moves but the volume doesn't. I made my own researches : from here it seems that it's a common issue with Mediatek+GSI roms ; then from here someone has written a dirty (yet functional) workaround for it, and (as the script doesn't work for our RN10s) from here I found an other version of the same script. With all these information I managed to make the in-call volume to "work" for magisk-rooted RN10s.
My questions about this second issue : does anybody experience it ? I'm surprised that no one mentioned it here.
For people who installed other gsi (corvus, dot, ...), is it better with them ?

I will detail the workaround procedure here if someone request it.
I did have the same issue with dotos. I left it overnight booting with the coloured circles moving but it didn't boot and did that all night long. So what I did is I booted the phone into the Miui (hold power and + buttons) recovery mode and erased data from there. After that it booted normally.
You are also right about the calling glitches on the pixel expenrience, they are annoying.
Just saying I'm not using gsi roms anymore, probably until we get a properly made custom rom but instead got the Global Miui 1e which is dope, way smoother and faster, glitchless and has that scrolling deformation feature. Plus you can install google apps to have the clock amd all.

boyesenn

Aug 12, 2022
if i am from Miui 13, what should i do yo flash gsi Pixel Exp Android 12 ?
maybe i have to do some different way bcs im from MIUI 13 ?
And which type of rom should i download ?

Liamegg

Jul 24, 2018
It is possible to use gpay on gsi ? I'm on crdroid with Gapps and Google Wallet shows me a OR-TAPSH-08 message when I try to register a new card

Liamegg

Jul 24, 2018
Does anyone know how to move the status bar ?The clock is litteraly sticked to the frontend of the screen

First I would like to thank all contributors to this thread, and especially @RandomAccessVemuri. I own a Redmi Note 10s for a few months now, and I was tired about miui so I installed a GSI rom.
I have two unsolved issues however :
  1. I was unable to install DotOS (this exact image), on first boot I get infinite DotOS logo, up to 15 minutes. Does somebody have an idea about that ? That as my first GSI attempt.
  2. Using the exact same procedure (the one described in the post #1), I was however able to install Pixel Experience. Almost everything works very well with all the small fixes described in this thread... But there are two annoying sound issues described below.
  • Less annoying : during a call, passing to handsfree mode (speaker) "works", but after that if I disable handfree mode my interlocutor doesn't hear me anymore. I still can hear him however. The only way to re-establish the communication is to enable handsfree mode again. Also, it seems that my mic gain doesn't properly increase while in handsfree mode, but I'm not sure about that point.
  • More annoying : the in-call volume doesn't change and its very, very loud. Using the hardware buttons the corresponding visual slider moves but the volume doesn't. I made my own researches : from here it seems that it's a common issue with Mediatek+GSI roms ; then from here someone has written a dirty (yet functional) workaround for it, and (as the script doesn't work for our RN10s) from here I found an other version of the same script. With all these information I managed to make the in-call volume to "work" for magisk-rooted RN10s.
My questions about this second issue : does anybody experience it ? I'm surprised that no one mentioned it here.
For people who installed other gsi (corvus, dot, ...), is it better with them ?

I will detail the workaround procedure here if someone request it.
the updater said there was an update and when it completed the OTA update the phone booted to MIUI recovery and won't boot to os. my question is how do I update it then do I have to flash it every time???
currently running pixel experience as daily ROM everything works fine even animations if dialled down a bit from dev options.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-110054_PhhTrebleApp.png
    Screenshot_20220917-110054_PhhTrebleApp.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 63

Franzyy

May 16, 2022
Google Pixel 7a
the updater said there was an update and when it completed the OTA update the phone booted to MIUI recovery and won't boot to os. my question is how do I update it then do I have to flash it every time???
currently running pixel experience as daily ROM everything works fine even animations if dialled down a bit from dev options.
V415 doesnt work on Mediatek devices. Look in the pixelexperience gsi thread, many people have the same problem

Reactions: dequr

Alphakka

Jun 4, 2018
Is there an ideal software version to be on before flashing GSIs? If so, how do I roll back, can someone point me to a tutorial?

SuperLolMine

Jan 12, 2017
Hey everyone, i never really use XDA anymore but i just wanted to drop in to say this:

You should probably roll-back to MIUI 12.5 before flashing any GSI for the best experience, there's no antirollback protection at the time of writing (if there is MiFlash will warn you).
I chose Pixel Experience 12 (v414, as v415 seems to have issues booting on MediaTek), and when flashed over the currently latest MIUI 13 my screen cutout was off, AOD didn't work, and the earpiece speaker was VERY loud during calls, i didn't have these issues under Pixel Experience 11 (flashed over MIUI 12.5) earlier this year.

So i rolled back to MIUI 12.5 and flashing Pixel Experience 12 again, the screen cutout works perfectly just as i remember it on Pixel Experience 11 (the status bar isn't too near to the top of the screen), AOD worked right out of the box, and the earpiece speaker volume is fine (it's still louder than normal, but it's not extremely loud like on the same GSI running under MIUI 13).

Another tip for y'all:
It's not recommended to use fastboot -w to erase data, as this can cause some GSIs to be stuck on the bootanimation.
Instead, type "fastboot reboot recovery" while in fastbootd, the recovery screen will pop up immediately, and wipe data from here then reboot.

If you've already done fastboot -w and got stuck in a bootloop (infinite bootanimation), don't worry, just hold vol up + power to force restart the phone (once you see the Redmi logo release the power button) until you get into MIUI Recovery, wipe data then reboot and your GSI will boot fine.

If you get a "failed to resize partition" error or similar, reflash MIUI using MiFlash, i don't know why exactly this fixes the issue, but it does.

Without rolling back mine never booted it powered on to fast boot. right now I am using Corvus OS (Corvus_vS2.1-Revolt beta official [ corvus_arm64_ab_vndklite-Gapps to be specific) works flawlessly with some tweaks
battery time: 1 day as my observation but it says 1 day and 6 hrs on my current usage) including gaming, usual connect to the laptop[for less than 5 mins]
camera improved by using gcam 8.5.300 and also using LMC 8.4 sometimes.
ram: Corvus has 3 gig swap as default increased it to 8 as I don't like to cold start apps
Bluetooth music stream functional using phh treble force disable a2d and wired headset using alternative connection detection
always on display enable by phh treble
install mtk ims service apk and tick both options below it
rooted using magisk (flashed the boot. img and installed the app works fine)
using Dolby atmos, project extreme tweaks (tho no profile enabled) and seamless hosts.
Using lawn chair along with lawnicons, I didn't like the top shadow on the raven launcher and lawnicons look neat.
hey, google doesn't work on any gsi I've tried.
I used these commands to flash all[2] my gsi's
./fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta /loction of vbmeta of the miui you are using as base/

./fastboot reboot fastboot

./fastboot --u flash system /location of the gsi i prefer not using spaces and renaming it to a shortname/

./fastboot -w

./fastboot reboot
tho preferred to wipe the system using MIUI recovery but I just saved my time.
//DO NOT RELY ON IT FOR ALARMS AS IF THE DEVICE'S BATTERY DIES OR GETS POWERED OFF IT WON'T TURN ON AS MIUI DOES
I've also flashed PixelExperiencePlusarm64ab.img and ran away from it because the battery was like running android 13 with overclocked Samsung s3 tho the animations were beautiful will try to install and control it as that's the one I wanna use at last.

IF YOU END UP GETTING HARD-BRICKED (LIKE I DID SEVERAL TIMES): will make a guide to it later when I get time but ill attach the tools here excluding the python u just download the python setup.
if you can see the redmi logo then power off and disable verification and start up sp flash
if you can't then hold the combination for about 16 sec or 18 to force restart if its on and keep the disable verification script and the sp flash tool running both waiting for the device and as soon as the verification is disabled and the phone is connected sp flash tool flashes the DA and starts flashing the rest (plus point u don't need to remove the battery using this.)
have hard-bricked 3 times twice with redmi logo as the second time it was giving an error on SLA using the MediaTek tool (non-terminal tool).
thus telling with experience but you can always correct me and tell me if I am wrong so helps me as well in the future.
Hope it helps someone.
:)

Attachments

• MTK+Bypass+Tools.rar
    58 MB · Views: 24

eried1

May 27, 2016
Stockholm
Without rolling back mine never booted it powered on to fast boot. right now I am using Corvus OS (Corvus_vS2.1-Revolt beta official [ corvus_arm64_ab_vndklite-Gapps to be specific) works flawlessly with some tweaks
battery time: 1 day as my observation but it says 1 day and 6 hrs on my current usage) including gaming, usual connect to the laptop[for less than 5 mins]
camera improved by using gcam 8.5.300 and also using LMC 8.4 sometimes.
ram: Corvus has 3 gig swap as default increased it to 8 as I don't like to cold start apps
Bluetooth music stream functional using phh treble force disable a2d and wired headset using alternative connection detection
always on display enable by phh treble
install mtk ims service apk and tick both options below it
rooted using magisk (flashed the boot. img and installed the app works fine)
using Dolby atmos, project extreme tweaks (tho no profile enabled) and seamless hosts.
Using lawn chair along with lawnicons, I didn't like the top shadow on the raven launcher and lawnicons look neat.
hey, google doesn't work on any gsi I've tried.
I used these commands to flash all[2] my gsi's

tho preferred to wipe the system using MIUI recovery but I just saved my time.
//DO NOT RELY ON IT FOR ALARMS AS IF THE DEVICE'S BATTERY DIES OR GETS POWERED OFF IT WON'T TURN ON AS MIUI DOES
I've also flashed PixelExperiencePlusarm64ab.img and ran away from it because the battery was like running android 13 with overclocked Samsung s3 tho the animations were beautiful will try to install and control it as that's the one I wanna use at last.

IF YOU END UP GETTING HARD-BRICKED (LIKE I DID SEVERAL TIMES): will make a guide to it later when I get time but ill attach the tools here excluding the python u just download the python setup.
if you can see the redmi logo then power off and disable verification and start up sp flash
if you can't then hold the combination for about 16 sec or 18 to force restart if its on and keep the disable verification script and the sp flash tool running both waiting for the device and as soon as the verification is disabled and the phone is connected sp flash tool flashes the DA and starts flashing the rest (plus point u don't need to remove the battery using this.)
have hard-bricked 3 times twice with redmi logo as the second time it was giving an error on SLA using the MediaTek tool (non-terminal tool).
thus telling with experience but you can always correct me and tell me if I am wrong so helps me as well in the future.
Hope it helps someone.
:)
1 day of battery time does not sound impressing. Should be able to get a lot more: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaom...rtphone-is-water-and-dust-proof.546827.0.html

D

Deleted member 11998839

Bro i flashed the same rom which you have mentioned but i am stuck in a bootloop, i also tried formatting my data but it was not helpful. I also strictly followed all the steps. Can anyone suggest me any solutions?

Franzyy

May 16, 2022
Google Pixel 7a
I have two questions.
If i want to flash another gsi on top of a gsi, should i first revert to the stock rom, or can i just install the gsi and wipe data using the command?
Must i flash vbmeta again before flashing another GSI?

Nov 24, 2022

Pre-flash info:​

• Device name: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10S (rosemary)
  • Earlier rom: MIUI 12.5.7 (India)
  • Rooted?: No

Tested images:​

• Corvus OS
  • Android 12 Beta 5
  • DotOS

Steps to install​

Refer to the guide here: https://xdaforums.com/t/flashing-gsi-roms-on-redmi-note-10s-and-then-fixing-some-issues-all-without-any-custom-recovery.4337099/

Hardware Support post flashing​

ComponentComment
CameraWorks but Gcam is a little unstable
Speaker/MicWorks, headphone jack requires a tiny tweak
BluetoothNot tested but I'm sure it works
Wi-FiWorks
SIM/Mobile Data/ VoiceNot tested
VoLTENot tested
FingerprintWorks
NFCNot tested
Offline ChargingWorks
Display Refresh rate60hz (same as before)
Screen BrightnessWorks like before after a small tweak
Volume scaleWorks fine
5GN/A
SafetyNet post root?
:heavy_check_mark:
(requires modification)
WideVine certification post flash and rootL1 (requires modification)

Personal Notes:​

• Battery life seems to have reduced a bit
  • Phone (extremely rarely) reboots out of nowhere.
  • Raven Launcher (Launcher that comes with Corvus OS) crashes from time to time, taking me back to the lock screen
  • I personally feel that the speakers are not as loud as they could be but I did not test it before flash so I can't tell precisely.
Tested by: randomaccessvemuri (@Tanmay-V22315)
i don't think it's rebooting extremely rarely; it happens often

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    By Following this guide, you will lose your warranty so keep that in mind before you begin. (Although you have probably already lost your warranty by unlocking the bootloader)

This guide will help you to flash any GSI (Project Treble) ROM onto your Redmi Note 10S, and since TWRP, or any custom recovery for that matter, is not yet available, we have to manually install the GSI roms using fastboot (and fastbootd because of the dynamic partition). The process is lengthy but not that difficult.

It should go without saying that you should backup everything and be prepared to lose your data and potentially soft-brick your phone and the experience with GSI roms is not always known to be stable (although I have not seen any such problems yet aside from a few easy-to-fix bugs) so do all of this at your own risk.

Important to note is that if at anytime you mess stuff up or delete partitions you weren't supposed to (whatever the guides may say, don't erase the product partition, it won't help, you're gonna end up in a bootloop) and soft-brick your phone, as long as you can access fastboot you can easily fix the problem by using the MiFlash tool which will help you get back to square one (you won't have to wait to unlock the bootloader again so don't worry about that)

Now, for the disclaimer:
    DISCLAIMER: I'm an amateur in terms of tinkering with android stuff and phones in general. The process mentioned below has worked on my phone but I would still recommend waiting for someone more....experienced to weigh in his/her opinions. If you end up bricking your phone or if things go south, I'm not responsible, that's on you.

NOTE:
    When I mention fastboot I'm referring to the standard "normal" fastboot and when I mention fastbootd, I'm referring to the dynamic/userspace fastboot which is different (which wiil be indicated by the fastboot screens during either of the modes)

I should mention that using this method I have been able to flash DotOS, Android 12 Beta 5, CorvusOS (my current daily driver) and in my daily driver (Corvus OS), It's passing SafetyNet and the WideVine certification is still at L1 even after rooting, however I have tested neither Google Pay nor Netflix, because I don't use either of them so your mileage may vary, however I did find Netflix in the play store so that is a bit encouraging ig.

Alright, with the appetizers out of the way, let's crack on to the main course:

PART 0: Requirements:-

Please ensure that the following requirements are met:
    • A Redmi Note 10S with an unlocked bootloader
    • OEM Fastboot driver and Fastbootd driver is installed
    • A preferred GSI rom (the file extension should be .img)
    • Being prepared to lose your data
    • Obtain android platform-tools along with knowledge about how to use it
    • Acceptance that the newly flashed GSI rom may/may not be completely stable.
    • Fastboot rom from here
    If you have all that, you can move on to the next step

PART 1: Get Straight to Flashin':

This guide is rather straightforward because there really isn't much to it.

To begin with, extract the vbmeta.img from the Fastboot rom. Once you have done that, reboot your phone to fastboot mode.
    Once the phone is in fastboot mode, on your computer, run the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot.exe --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    to disable what is the android equivalent of window's secure boot

Once that is done, issue the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot.exe reboot fastboot
    (No, there is no typo here, this is what needs to be done to enter the fastbootd mode, which is where the real fun begins)

Ensure that you are in fastbootd mode. The blue coloured "fastboot" text at the bottom will be replaced by a yellow coloured "fastbootd"

Okay, now for the most important command, type:
    Code:
    fastboot.exe -u flash system your_gsi_rom_of_choice.img

Done!

After this, don't forget to factory reset your device by:
    Code:
    fastboot.exe -w

Note: If you forget to do the factory reset, you're gonna end up with a frankenstein combination of your new and some configs of your previous rom, in this case reboot to bootloader (using power and volume down) and issue the factory reset command (fastboot -w)

And then for the toppings:
    Code:
    fastboot.exe reboot

That's.....about it. You should boot into your chosen rom. For the first time, the boot animation may stick around for a long time (5 minutes or more). However, if, even after an absurd amount of time (15-20), the rom doesn't boot up, try using MiFlash tool to get back to square one and try the whole process again.

Once it boots up, continue with the setup process and you will (hopefully) be at the home screen of your new rom.

PART 2: Le Bugs

Of course, no software is perfect and considering the especially ambitious nature of Project Treble, it is no surprise that you will encounter some bugs. 2 bugs in particular are the disabled headphone jack and the wonky brightness slider.

Here's how I fixed them in CorvusOS (most probably applies in other ROMs as well)

1. Disabled Headphone Jack:

Once you boot up the rom, you'll notice that the headphone jack will not work; the audio will only play on the speaker. To fix this one, you unfortunately need to root your phone (although that's not necessary, try looking into the Device Specific customisations of your rom).
    Through your computer, issue the following commands (one-by-one, don't copy-paste them):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    setprop persist.sys.overlay.devinputjack true
    reboot

Your phone will now reboot and once it does, you will see that the headphone jack is functioning normally again.

2. Brightness Slider Fix:

This one does not require any root. However, this does require that you can access the device specific customisations,

So, in my case, I had to go into {Device Name} Settings > Misc features and then tick the Force alternative backlight scale . Once you have done that, reboot and your brightness slider will be working properly again. Also, if you noticed sudden fluctuations after booting or when device goes to sleep earlier, that should all be fixed as well.

Conclusion:

At this point, you should be ready to rock the world along with your phone. Depending upon the rom you have chosen (DotOS for example), your widevine certification and safetynet may be compromised, even after trying out several fixes (which is what happened in my case). So if that happens to you, I suggest that you either change your rom, hunt around for some solutions or just, you know, live with it.
    In my case, (As I mentioned before) I'm using CorvusOS where the widevine rating and safetynet are unaffected, with the latter requiring some special fixes.

Hope that helped. I look forward to hearing from you people about any recommendations or discussion. If you have any problem with the process or think that something may be wrong, post it in the replies and I'll be happy to get back to you (depending upon the time, of course)

Pre-flash info:​

• Device name: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10S (secret)
    • Earlier rom: MIUI 12.5.15 (Global)
    • Rooted?: Yes

Tested image:​

• Pixel Experience 12 Unofficial (phh v401)

Hardware Support post flashing​

ComponentComment
    CameraQuality looks better than stock
    Speaker/MicWorks, headphone jack requires a tiny tweak
    BluetoothWorks
    Wi-FiWorks
    SIM/Mobile Data/ VoiceSim works but mobile data does not work
    VoLTEDoes not work
    FingerprintWorks
    NFCNot tested
    Offline ChargingWorks
    Display Refresh rate60hz (same as before)
    Screen BrightnessWorks like before after a small tweak
    Volume scaleWorks fine
    5GN/A
    SafetyNet post root?Not tested
    WideVine certification post flash and rootNot tested

Personal Notes:​

• Native screenrecord causes device to freeze and crashes SystemUI. Third party screen recorders work fine tho so it's not a big problem.
    • Mobile data extremely rarely works.
    • System UI is very laggy, especially the app drawer [thanks @Redmi note 10s user]
    • Gcam camera quality looks better than stock, but photo view is very laggy (looks like 15fps) despite video is smooth. Also video shooting only works on main cam the other two are just black.
    • There is a noticeable performance drop in games and compile speed in AIDE.
    • ============================
    • There are many other bugs, most of them are fixable with little tweaks, but these are the most important for me and I didn't find a workaround yet.
    After using this rom for about two weeks, I think I'm going back to stock (or LiteE). The features I miss the most are floating apps (there are some alternatives but they are not as practical as stock rom), and especially MOBILE DATA is important. Please tell me if mobile data has been fixed and I will consider coming back to this rom.
    If anyone wondering how to fix 4G VoLTE and Bluetooth. Contact me on XDA forums
    I've managed to fix it and would be down to help someone else
    share it public or report
    Hey everyone, i never really use XDA anymore but i just wanted to drop in to say this:

You should probably roll-back to MIUI 12.5 before flashing any GSI for the best experience, there's no antirollback protection at the time of writing (if there is MiFlash will warn you).
    I chose Pixel Experience 12 (v414, as v415 seems to have issues booting on MediaTek), and when flashed over the currently latest MIUI 13 my screen cutout was off, AOD didn't work, and the earpiece speaker was VERY loud during calls, i didn't have these issues under Pixel Experience 11 (flashed over MIUI 12.5) earlier this year.

So i rolled back to MIUI 12.5 and flashing Pixel Experience 12 again, the screen cutout works perfectly just as i remember it on Pixel Experience 11 (the status bar isn't too near to the top of the screen), AOD worked right out of the box, and the earpiece speaker volume is fine (it's still louder than normal, but it's not extremely loud like on the same GSI running under MIUI 13).

Another tip for y'all:
    It's not recommended to use fastboot -w to erase data, as this can cause some GSIs to be stuck on the bootanimation.
    Instead, type "fastboot reboot recovery" while in fastbootd, the recovery screen will pop up immediately, and wipe data from here then reboot.

If you've already done fastboot -w and got stuck in a bootloop (infinite bootanimation), don't worry, just hold vol up + power to force restart the phone (once you see the Redmi logo release the power button) until you get into MIUI Recovery, wipe data then reboot and your GSI will boot fine.

If you get a "failed to resize partition" error or similar, reflash MIUI using MiFlash, i don't know why exactly this fixes the issue, but it does.
    Make sure this is checked in Misc featuresView attachment 5541197
    OMG. IT WORKED! THANKS A LOT