• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flashing GSI ROMs onto Your Nord N10 5G

Search This thread
DISCLAIMER!!!
Any lost data, bricked device or issues caused by attempting everything below is not my fault. You assume responsibility of your own actions. This has ONLY BEEN TESTED ON A BE2026!! You have been warned!

What You'll Need
Full Fastboot/ADB installed, system wide helps
-- My method is use the ADB Quick Installer (here: ADB Reborn), then also download the platform-tools and put everything in the ADB Folder (here: Select for your OS)
A GSI ROM
-- So far, only tested /e/OS DeGoogled GSI ROM, which is Android 10 based. ZERO issues thus far (here, arm64 ab: CLICKY) this rom does have issues with Wifi if you patch the boot.img with Magisk. Recommend testing 11 Based GSI's instead like LeOS which is based off of eOS
GAPPS if you so choose
Stock vbMeta.img
-- found here from OnePlus: OnePlus Software ... just select the Nord N10 and click download. or find it on a post here

Video instructions

text instructions
Instructions
1.) Download your selected GSI ROM, GAPPS (if needed), Magisk Manager, stock firmware and make sure ADB is system wide installed
2.) Unlock your bootloader
-- 2a.) Go to Settings, then About phone, tap Build number a bunch to enable developer settings
-- 2b.) Go back and select System, then Developer Settings, enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock
-- 2c.) Plug in device, give PC developer control, and reboot to bootloader with "adb reboot bootloader"
-- 2d.) Once in bootloader mode, use "fastboot flashing unlock" to unlock the bootloader. Device will wipe and reboot to system
3.) Plug your Device into your computer, open Command prompt and type the following command. It may ask for Debugging permission on device, select yes
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
4.) Now that you're back on the Bootloader, you can use fastboot commands to get started flashing your GSI, first command to enter is
Code:
fastboot reboot fastboot
5.) You're now in Fastbootd, this allows for easier flashing. You now need your vbmeta.img. Use the command below
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
6.) Reboot fastbootd with the command from step 4, then use the commands below once rebooted
Code:
fastboot erase system
fastboot delete-logical-partition product
fastboot flash system GSI.img
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot
7.) You should now have your GSI flashed onto your device! That simple

Do NOT patch the boot.img with Magisk Manager and flash it. It breaks Wifi and Bluetooth on every single GSI Right now. If I find a work around, I will post it here.

How to Root your GSI Based ROM and keep Wifi Working!!
1.)
Go to the PixelExperience ROM page and download just the Custom Recovery (here: PixelExperience Post)
2.) Once you have the recovery, reboot to bootloader
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
3.) Flash the recovery
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
4.) Reboot to recovery, then download MagiskManager APK from Github (just follow along, I promise, here: Magisk)
5.) Select Apply Update by USB in the Recovery, and sideload with the Magisk APK (it works, trust me)
Code:
adb sideload MagiskManager.apk
6.) Reboot device, select the Magisk Icon and you're Rooted and ROM'd with working Wifi!

Last edited:
Reactions: bbabel and arda99

Generic123.

May 3, 2016
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Thanks for the nice guide; I currently have a few problems right with installing this resurrection remix GSI:

1) I can't seem to get gapps installed on the GSI. There's never enough space, and due to the weird way the partitions on the N10 work, I can't resize the system partition in order to fit them in. Do you have any solutions for this problem?

2) I've created an overlay for the N10 in order to obtain auto brightness. It works well, but stops working after the first or second reboot. Again, do you have any solutions for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the nice guide; I currently have a few problems right with installing this resurrection remix GSI:

1) I can't seem to get gapps installed on the GSI. There's never enough space, and due to the weird way the partitions on the N10 work, I can't resize the system partition in order to fit them in. Do you have any solutions for this problem?

2) I've created an overlay for the N10 in order to obtain auto brightness. It works well, but stops working after the first or second reboot. Again, do you have any solutions for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Personally I don't use any ROMs that have Google in them at all, so flashing gaps is something I don't think I can help you with. You could try my root method, but instead of flashing for root, Flash the gapps zip file. I found the method to root this completely by mistake. And it just happened to be the only way that worked

I did also notice that no matter what I do the screen is exceptionally bright on this phone even at its lowest setting. I have yet to try to find a solution for this because it discovered that the Sim slot on my phone is bad so I went back to my razor phone because now I have to warranty my phone

Generic123.

May 3, 2016
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Personally I don't use any ROMs that have Google in them at all, so flashing gaps is something I don't think I can help you with. You could try my root method, but instead of flashing for root, Flash the gapps zip file. I found the method to root this completely by mistake. And it just happened to be the only way that worked

I did also notice that no matter what I do the screen is exceptionally bright on this phone even at its lowest setting. I have yet to try to find a solution for this because it discovered that the Sim slot on my phone is bad so I went back to my razor phone because now I have to warranty my phone
Ah, I used to own the RP2. Sold it because the battery life for my device was so mediocre. Anyways, I don't think it's possible to install GAPPS separately; they have to be integrated into what GSI I want to install or I just can't get them to fit. It seems like the traditional partitions like system have been combined into a single "super" partition. Also, when your N10 comes back from repair, you can try this overlay I've built. It should fix auto-brightness and maybe fixes the brightness curve(so the lowest setting should be much less bright).

Attachments

• treble-overlay-oneplus-n10.apk
    16.3 KB · Views: 25
Ah, I used to own the RP2. Sold it because the battery life for my device was so mediocre. Anyways, I don't think it's possible to install GAPPS separately; they have to be integrated into what GSI I want to install or I just can't get them to fit. It seems like the traditional partitions like system have been combined into a single "super" partition. Also, when your N10 comes back from repair, you can try this overlay I've built. It should fix auto-brightness and maybe fixes the brightness curve(so the lowest setting should be much less bright).

I disable auto-brightness entirely, but its still exceptionally bright. Its so weird. I still have it, haven't sent it in yet, so I'll give it a shot soon

Actually just realized its the GSI I'm using, the sim card doesn't work. Gonna try a different gsi and see what happens

Last edited:

bbabel

Sep 26, 2012
mauriciogomez.net
I learned a lot with this tutorial. Thank you very much.

I'll begin to try some GSI roms now and see which one adapts best for me. I don't use Google either, so this GSI project was like finding a gold mine next door ha ha ha.

Thank you again.

EDIT: I was too optimistic, because following this guide only takes me to this error

Code:
Resizing 'system_a'                                FAILED (remote: 'Not enough space to resize partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed
What can I do to avoid this?

Thank you again.

Last edited:

MetaruSonikkuX

Jun 4, 2016
Honor 5X
Project Treble
I learned a lot with this tutorial. Thank you very much.

I'll begin to try some GSI roms now and see which one adapts best for me. I don't use Google either, so this GSI project was like finding a gold mine next door ha ha ha.

Thank you again.

EDIT: I was too optimistic, because following this guide only takes me to this error

Code:
Resizing 'system_a'                                FAILED (remote: 'Not enough space to resize partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed
What can I do to avoid this?

Thank you again.
I suggest this method instead

bbabel

Sep 26, 2012
mauriciogomez.net
I tried that method and also failed. I noticed when the script was working that it had the same errors like me: every file the script tried to flash to slot a was followed by FAILED (remote: 'Not enough space to resize partition').

So I decided to restore everything with this tool (and downgrade to Android 11 in the process) and now this guide works as it should. Right now I'm trying to use Havoc OS and the future looks bright :)

Thank you.

MetaruSonikkuX

Jun 4, 2016
Honor 5X
Project Treble
I tried that method and also failed. I noticed when the script was working that it had the same errors like me: every file the script tried to flash to slot a was followed by FAILED (remote: 'Not enough space to resize partition').

So I decided to restore everything with this tool (and downgrade to Android 11 in the process) and now this guide works as it should. Right now I'm trying to use Havoc OS and the future looks bright :)

Thank you.
Could you post your experience? I tried LoS 18.1 and couldn't get microg installed, then tried AOSP 11 with gapps and kept getting a google authentication error.

bbabel

Sep 26, 2012
mauriciogomez.net
Reactions: Spidermonkeyj75

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER!!!
    Any lost data, bricked device or issues caused by attempting everything below is not my fault. You assume responsibility of your own actions. This has ONLY BEEN TESTED ON A BE2026!! You have been warned!

What You'll Need
    Full Fastboot/ADB installed, system wide helps
    -- My method is use the ADB Quick Installer (here: ADB Reborn), then also download the platform-tools and put everything in the ADB Folder (here: Select for your OS)
    A GSI ROM
    -- So far, only tested /e/OS DeGoogled GSI ROM, which is Android 10 based. ZERO issues thus far (here, arm64 ab: CLICKY) this rom does have issues with Wifi if you patch the boot.img with Magisk. Recommend testing 11 Based GSI's instead like LeOS which is based off of eOS
    GAPPS if you so choose
    Stock vbMeta.img
    -- found here from OnePlus: OnePlus Software ... just select the Nord N10 and click download. or find it on a post here

Video instructions

text instructions
    Instructions
    1.) Download your selected GSI ROM, GAPPS (if needed), Magisk Manager, stock firmware and make sure ADB is system wide installed
    2.) Unlock your bootloader
    -- 2a.) Go to Settings, then About phone, tap Build number a bunch to enable developer settings
    -- 2b.) Go back and select System, then Developer Settings, enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock
    -- 2c.) Plug in device, give PC developer control, and reboot to bootloader with "adb reboot bootloader"
    -- 2d.) Once in bootloader mode, use "fastboot flashing unlock" to unlock the bootloader. Device will wipe and reboot to system
    3.) Plug your Device into your computer, open Command prompt and type the following command. It may ask for Debugging permission on device, select yes
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4.) Now that you're back on the Bootloader, you can use fastboot commands to get started flashing your GSI, first command to enter is
    Code:
    fastboot reboot fastboot
    5.) You're now in Fastbootd, this allows for easier flashing. You now need your vbmeta.img. Use the command below
    Code:
    fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    6.) Reboot fastbootd with the command from step 4, then use the commands below once rebooted
    Code:
    fastboot erase system
    fastboot delete-logical-partition product
    fastboot flash system GSI.img
    fastboot -w
    fastboot reboot
    7.) You should now have your GSI flashed onto your device! That simple

Do NOT patch the boot.img with Magisk Manager and flash it. It breaks Wifi and Bluetooth on every single GSI Right now. If I find a work around, I will post it here.

How to Root your GSI Based ROM and keep Wifi Working!!
    1.)
    Go to the PixelExperience ROM page and download just the Custom Recovery (here: PixelExperience Post)
    2.) Once you have the recovery, reboot to bootloader
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    3.) Flash the recovery
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    4.) Reboot to recovery, then download MagiskManager APK from Github (just follow along, I promise, here: Magisk)
    5.) Select Apply Update by USB in the Recovery, and sideload with the Magisk APK (it works, trust me)
    Code:
    adb sideload MagiskManager.apk
    6.) Reboot device, select the Magisk Icon and you're Rooted and ROM'd with working Wifi!
    Could you post your experience? I tried LoS 18.1 and couldn't get microg installed, then tried AOSP 11 with gapps and kept getting a google authentication error.
    As KaptinBoxxi says, look for a GSI rom with GAPPS included, otherwise you'll have a lot of problems. I'd start for Pixel Experience but you can look for other roms here: https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Generic-System-Image-(GSI)-list