• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flashing Kindle with 5.1.2 using KingRoot and SuperTool

Search This thread

NCode!

Oct 30, 2010
At first it tried to follow this guide (especially the video linked from there) to flash, but with the update to 5.1.2 much of the bootloader functionality needed for rooting/flashing seems to be locked by amazon so that the root process of the SuperTool (Version from March 12th 2016, the MD5 of the AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool.zip was 8d813f3eacef9e932af5c366769b505e, not the one given on the download page where the file came from) failed.
So following the recommendation from here I tried to use KingRoot for rooting.

Rooting
I downloaded and installed KingRoot 4.8.2 from here. (file name "NewKingrootV4.82_C138_B250_xda_release_2016_03_09_105243.apk", md5 11d61bfa1ab79ad3bb55cbaa1ebd6fc7).
Running
Code:
adb install NewKingrootV4.82_C138_B250_xda_release_2016_03_09_105243.apk
worked flawlessly.
Now I started KingRoot on my Kindle. KingRoot said that root is (currently) not available on this device, but that it can try rooting.
I connected to WiFi and let KingRoot download its instructions. At probably about 20% into the rooting process, the device rebooted.
Afterwards I had to restart KingRoot and after some further thinking and reaching ~27% it said that the rooting process failed.
But I didn't give up, rebooted the device, restarted the KingRoot rooting process and voilà - this time it ran through without rebooting and I got root.

Installing SuperSu and FlashFire
Now on getting SuperSu to work for using FlashFire, which won't work with KingRoot.
I extracted the Superuser.apk from the official .zip distribution obtained from here ("UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip"), but you can probably also get it from the playstore if you got that installed. The md5 of the Superuser.apk was b4a76bb94927431f0d5b617836fb3f9c.
After installing SuperSu via adb install it complained that another su app was installed and its binaries needed an updated. Neither the automated removal of KingRoot nor the update of the binaries worked.
So following this guide I downloaded the mrw.zip that was attached to the third post (md5 1c769fe61e1fe5952b81fb80965c4d6b) and then unzipped and pushed the contained "mrw" folder to /sdcard/ on my kindle using
Code:
adb push mrw /sdcard/mrw
As the script reported some failures (which is supposedly normal) and the SuperSu didn't come any further, I checked the mrw/root.sh script.
After replacing ´cat sdcard/mrw/busybox > /system/bin/busybox´ with ´cat /sdcard/mrw/busybox > /system/bin/busybox´ in line 17 (see the missing root slash?) I got the script to work (at least when not being started from the root dir).
The important part from the skript (see below) now ran without errors.
The two
Code:
>/dev/null 2>&1
files, /system/xbin/kugote and /system/xbin/pidof did realy not exist, so that didn't matter.
Thanks beingtejas for the skript (again, see the mrw.zip from the link above for the full, working version of the script):
Code:
cat /sdcard/mrw/busybox > /system/bin/busybox #this was line 17 with the missing slash
chown 0.1000 /system/bin/busybox
chmod 0755 /system/bin/busybox
busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/ku.sud
rm /system/xbin/ku.sud
busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/kugote >/dev/null 2>&1
rm /system/xbin/kugote >/dev/null 2>&1
busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/su
rm /system/xbin/su
busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/supolicy
rm /system/xbin/supolicy
busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/pidof >/dev/null 2>&1
rm /system/xbin/pidof >/dev/null 2>&1
cat /sdcard/mrw/su > /system/xbin/su
cat /sdcard/mrw/su > /system/xbin/daemonsu
cat /sdcard/mrw/su > /system/xbin/sugote
cat /system/bin/sh > /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/sugote
chmod 0755 /system/xbin/sugote
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
chmod 0755 /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
chown 0.0 /system/xbin/daemonsu
chmod 0755 /system/xbin/daemonsu
daemonsu -d
Now KingRoot was uninstalled, the SuperSu update ran through and I rebooted the device as recommended.

Flashing
Afterwards the FlashFire installation ran fine with the SuperTool as described in the beginning and I could continue the normal installation.
After a very long AOSP boot sequence I now got the Fire Nexus ROM running nicely ob my kindle.

I mainly wrote this as documentation for myself but wanted to share it for other users facing the same problems with the updated bootloader.
If this post actually belongs elsewhere, please tell me to move it, as it is my first one and I couldn't find a better place to put it.

GRiMP13

Mar 30, 2016
Newnan
I managed to get it done also. Thanks for posting those steps. It took about 20 trys with kingroot, but it finally went all the way, lol. I had the same problems SuperSU also but following your compilation of forum guides, I got the Fire Nexus ROM and I'm loving the absence of Amazon!

stankyou

Dec 20, 2010
Huawei Nexus 6P
OnePlus 5T
Hello. Just posting to let people know that this also worked for me as well.
Once you get Kingroot to work, it's all smooth sailing. Not sure if this helped the process but keeping the screen on while Kingroot to do its thing might help. I had several failed attempts and on all of those instances, my display expired and I had to unlock my device. The successful attempt, I just held my device and prevented it from locking... went to 30% and rebooted. Then I had root.

I have Fire Nexus installed. :)

feefeeboomboom

Jan 17, 2010
Fargo
Very nice!

Posting to say thank you! I did not know any of the roms could be flashed with FlashFire! I attached the most recent version of FlashFire.

Attachments

• FlashFire-v0.30-20160331135212.apk
    8.7 MB · Views: 586
Reactions: kgirlx

x13

Jan 14, 2016
x13.me
Just used your method, am now running 5.1.2 rooted, may have screwed up with KingRoot, but otherwise good, gonna try removing the KingRoot crap now

jhackg0d

Nov 17, 2010
I really appreciate your post. It helped me get SuperSU working great! For some reason FlashFire 0.27 was closing on launch so I had to try the 0.30 version that someone posted using adb install -r

Thanks all!

momonjava

Mar 19, 2011
DC metro
Thank you a million times!! Fire OS was making me insane :)
Now to block the OTA updates. I haven't seen the definitive word on that as yet (if anyone could guide me, I'd be very appreciative!)

drmattyg

Apr 13, 2016
I was able to root and get SuperSU and Flashfire onto 5.1.2, but it died when I tried to flash it with SlimLP. I tried restoring it to stock 5.1.1 (probably a bad idea) and it's fully bricked, won't turn on at all. Are there any ways to recover from a full blank-screen no-turn-on with a 5.1.2 device? Has anyone had success flashing CM12 or SlimLP onto a 5.1.2? If so, what versions of the ROMS and what versions of flashfire did you use? Thanks!

(BTW, I'm testing a few options, so I have a few of these used cheap tablets, so bricking one of them isn't a tragedy, just want to get this to a working state.)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I was able to root and get SuperSU and Flashfire onto 5.1.2, but it died when I tried to flash it with SlimLP. I tried restoring it to stock 5.1.1 (probably a bad idea) and it's fully bricked, won't turn on at all. Are there any ways to recover from a full blank-screen no-turn-on with a 5.1.2 device? Has anyone had success flashing CM12 or SlimLP onto a 5.1.2? If so, what versions of the ROMS and what versions of flashfire did you use? Thanks!

(BTW, I'm testing a few options, so I have a few of these used cheap tablets, so bricking one of them isn't a tragedy, just want to get this to a working state.)
Any rollback attempt will yield an unrecoverable brick...as you discovered.

Multiple reports of installing CM 12.1 and Fire Nexus on a device that previously hosted FireOS 5.1.2. FlashFire v0.31. Latest ROM builds.

Robo-rooter

Apr 4, 2016
Sacramento, California

HOW TO ROOT FIRE 7 THAT HAS FIRMWARE 5.1.2 AND THEN INSTALL NEXUS ROM USING FLASHFIRE.

I have three Fire 7's with 5.1.2 firmware. I rooted them with RootJunky's SuperTool. After they were rooted, I installed FlashFire v.031 and then used that to load the Nexus rom (the latest one from early April). All of those are mentioned in threads here on xda.

Run RootJunky's SuperTool and root the Fire 7.
With the SuperTool, you can also load FlashFire. But it loads v.030. I believe you can get v.031 through a special link here on xda to the Google Play store.

If not, you can find FlashFire v.031 on a european server. Download v.031 apk and install it manually.

The FlashFire program icon will appear with the other installed apps on the Fire 7 apps screen, even on the Amazon Fire OS menu system.

Copy the Nexus rom (a zip file "lp-fire-nexus-rom-ford-20160405.zip" ) to your Fire 7's sd card root folder.

Make sure your Fire 7 is fully charged.

I started FlashFire v.031 and made the following menu selections:

In the FlashFire program do the following:
- Click the Red + and choose 'Wipe'.
- Ensure System data, 3rd party apps and Dalvik cache are CHECKED.
- Click the Red + button and choose 'Flash ZIP/OTA'.
- Navigate to and choose the latest Fire Nexus ROM Zip (I used "lp-fire-nexus-rom-ford-20160405.zip" that I had previously loaded on the root folder of the SD Card.).
- Ensure Auto-mount and Mount /system read/write are UNCHECKED.
- Move (drag) "Wipe" to the Top of the order (just above the ROM flashing).
- Press the big FLASH button.
- Ignore any warnings that appear.

The Fire 7 screen will go black for a few seconds.
-Then it will say, "Loading" and lines of text will go by rapidly for a few seconds.
-A red bar will then appear at the top of the screen titled "FlashFire".
-The rest of the screen is black. Don't touch the tablet. Just let the program run. It takes 5 or 10 minutes. It looks like nothing is happening, but it is.
-Finally the tablet will reboot. The Amazon logo will appear for a little while, then a pulsing color dots animation will appear. This dot animation will run for 5 or 10 minutes more as the tablet boots for the first time. Don't touch the tablet until a Setup screen appears.

You can now set up the tablet, registering it with Google and loading your desired apps.

The Nexus rom gives you a generic Android 5 Lollipop interface. After loading the Nexus rom, I installed the Nova launcher, it gives you a lot of options for menu control.

Nexus is a nice ROM. Much better and faster than the stock Amazon Store ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: K5LK

Robo-rooter

Apr 4, 2016
Sacramento, California
With the Nexus rom installed, I then added the Link2sd app from the Google Play store to recover 3.5gb of internal storage, linking apps to the sd card.

Link2sd is an app that links and moves most or all of an app to your sd card, but someway links it to the Fire 7 internal storage for the android system to run. Some custom roms allow you to just move and run the apps from the sd card. But with the Nexus rom, the app file is moved to the sd card, but run, maybe virtually from internal storage.

I have 150 apps installed on the Fire 7 with a Nexus rom. Before I loaded Link2sd, the Fire 7 had about 500mb internal storage free. After loading Link2sd and linking apps to my sd card, there is 3.5gb for free internal storage on the Fire 7.

In order for Link2sd to use the sd card you have to partition the sd card into Fat32 and ext4 partitions. The ext4 partition is used by Link2sd for app linking. The Fat32 partition is used in a normal manner for MP3, picture, video, e-book, etc storage.

I am using Linux Mint on my pc, so I used the linux program Gparted to partition a 32gb micro sd card for Link2sd to use. There are also free Windows programs that will allow you to do the same functions on your Windows 7 or 10 pc..

Link2sd uses a linux ext4 partition on the sd card to place and link apps to. The other half of the sd card is partitioned as a Fat32 format, for MP3, video, ebook, pictures storage.

Here is how to partition a 32gb micro sd card using the linux program Gparted. Use some type of micro sd adapter to connect the micro sd card to your linux pc. My Dell laptop has a built in sd slot, so it only needed and sd to micro sd adapter.

First delete the existing partition on the micro sd card. Then create a Fat32,. Primary partition, that takes 1/2 of the space on the micro sd card. Format the Fat32 partition as Fat32.

Next create a linux ext4, Primary partition, using the other 1/2 of the space on the micro sd card. Format the ext4 partition as ext4. The micro sd card is now ready for use by the Link2sd app.

Insert the micro SD card into the Fire 7 with a Nexus rom and Link2sd installed.

Start Link2sd and point it at the ext4 partition on the sd card when it asks and you are set to link apps to the sd card.

You can probably partition 64gb and 128gb sd cards in the same way, although I haven't tried. The Fire 7 is suppose to be able to accept up to a 128gb micro SD card.

Fire 7 boot times with the Nova rom are about 45 seconds to a minute. After installing Link2sd, the first boot after linking about 100 apps took 3 minutes. Later boots took about 90 seconds. So linking apps to the sd card does increase boot time on the tablet. Those times are for a cold start, from pushing the power button to being able to open the lock screen.

ADDENDUM: Well, after a couple of days of use, boot times are back to 60 seconds from a cold boot. Link2sd must have sorted things out. Wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: K5LK

vn33

May 12, 2010
Stouffville
Thanks for the info, I managed to stumble through most and got root, updated the root.sh as per your instructions above and pushed the MRW folder to SD, installed Superuser, installed FlashFire. However, I am stumped at how to run the root.sh script!
Sorry for the noob question, but I just couldn't find a noob-friendly instructions ...
Do I install a Terminal Emulator on the Fire tablet, and run the script? I tried that (installed "Terminal Emulator") but just couldn't get any prompt to run.
If you don't mind giving me a more detailed instruction of how to run the script ... Mainly how to remove Kingroot ... Most appreciated!
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Thanks for the info, I managed to stumble through most and got root, updated the root.sh as per your instructions above and pushed the MRW folder to SD, installed Superuser, installed FlashFire. However, I am stumped at how to run the root.sh script!
Sorry for the noob question, but I just couldn't find a noob-friendly instructions ...
Do I install a Terminal Emulator on the Fire tablet, and run the script? I tried that (installed "Terminal Emulator") but just couldn't get any prompt to run.
If you don't mind giving me a more detailed instruction of how to run the script ... Mainly how to remove Kingroot ... Most appreciated!
Thanks!

Duh! I managed to run the script through Terminal Emulator. It updated the, and rename the Kinguser to com.kingroot.kinguser
Now just trying to figure how to delete that file.

Thanks OP for this thread!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At first it tried to follow this guide (especially the video linked from there) to flash, but with the update to 5.1.2 much of the bootloader functionality needed for rooting/flashing seems to be locked by amazon so that the root process of the SuperTool (Version from March 12th 2016, the MD5 of the AmazonFire5thGenSuperTool.zip was 8d813f3eacef9e932af5c366769b505e, not the one given on the download page where the file came from) failed.
    So following the recommendation from here I tried to use KingRoot for rooting.

Rooting
    I downloaded and installed KingRoot 4.8.2 from here. (file name "NewKingrootV4.82_C138_B250_xda_release_2016_03_09_105243.apk", md5 11d61bfa1ab79ad3bb55cbaa1ebd6fc7).
    Running
    Code:
    adb install NewKingrootV4.82_C138_B250_xda_release_2016_03_09_105243.apk
    worked flawlessly.
    Now I started KingRoot on my Kindle. KingRoot said that root is (currently) not available on this device, but that it can try rooting.
    I connected to WiFi and let KingRoot download its instructions. At probably about 20% into the rooting process, the device rebooted.
    Afterwards I had to restart KingRoot and after some further thinking and reaching ~27% it said that the rooting process failed.
    But I didn't give up, rebooted the device, restarted the KingRoot rooting process and voilà - this time it ran through without rebooting and I got root.

Installing SuperSu and FlashFire
    Now on getting SuperSu to work for using FlashFire, which won't work with KingRoot.
    I extracted the Superuser.apk from the official .zip distribution obtained from here ("UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip"), but you can probably also get it from the playstore if you got that installed. The md5 of the Superuser.apk was b4a76bb94927431f0d5b617836fb3f9c.
    After installing SuperSu via adb install it complained that another su app was installed and its binaries needed an updated. Neither the automated removal of KingRoot nor the update of the binaries worked.
    So following this guide I downloaded the mrw.zip that was attached to the third post (md5 1c769fe61e1fe5952b81fb80965c4d6b) and then unzipped and pushed the contained "mrw" folder to /sdcard/ on my kindle using
    Code:
    adb push mrw /sdcard/mrw
    As the script reported some failures (which is supposedly normal) and the SuperSu didn't come any further, I checked the mrw/root.sh script.
    After replacing ´cat sdcard/mrw/busybox > /system/bin/busybox´ with ´cat /sdcard/mrw/busybox > /system/bin/busybox´ in line 17 (see the missing root slash?) I got the script to work (at least when not being started from the root dir).
    The important part from the skript (see below) now ran without errors.
    The two
    Code:
    >/dev/null 2>&1
    files, /system/xbin/kugote and /system/xbin/pidof did realy not exist, so that didn't matter.
    Thanks beingtejas for the skript (again, see the mrw.zip from the link above for the full, working version of the script):
    Code:
    cat /sdcard/mrw/busybox > /system/bin/busybox #this was line 17 with the missing slash
    chown 0.1000 /system/bin/busybox
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/busybox
    busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/ku.sud
    rm /system/xbin/ku.sud
    busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/kugote >/dev/null 2>&1
    rm /system/xbin/kugote >/dev/null 2>&1
    busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/su
    rm /system/xbin/su
    busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/supolicy
    rm /system/xbin/supolicy
    busybox chattr -ia /system/xbin/pidof >/dev/null 2>&1
    rm /system/xbin/pidof >/dev/null 2>&1
    cat /sdcard/mrw/su > /system/xbin/su
    cat /sdcard/mrw/su > /system/xbin/daemonsu
    cat /sdcard/mrw/su > /system/xbin/sugote
    cat /system/bin/sh > /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
    chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
    chown 0.0 /system/xbin/sugote
    chmod 0755 /system/xbin/sugote
    chown 0.0 /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
    chmod 0755 /system/xbin/sugote-mksh
    chown 0.0 /system/xbin/daemonsu
    chmod 0755 /system/xbin/daemonsu
    daemonsu -d
    Now KingRoot was uninstalled, the SuperSu update ran through and I rebooted the device as recommended.

Flashing
    Afterwards the FlashFire installation ran fine with the SuperTool as described in the beginning and I could continue the normal installation.
    After a very long AOSP boot sequence I now got the Fire Nexus ROM running nicely ob my kindle.

I mainly wrote this as documentation for myself but wanted to share it for other users facing the same problems with the updated bootloader.
    If this post actually belongs elsewhere, please tell me to move it, as it is my first one and I couldn't find a better place to put it.
    I can confirm that the new Kindle Fire tablets running 5.1.3 (the latest) firmware can be downgraded to 5.1.2 by flashing the image via stock recovery and using the "adb push xxx.bin" method of downgrading the tablet without bricking it, and then rooting the tablet via Kingoroot. I read dozens of pages trying to figure out if people were using the desktop app to root the tablet or the APK, and I started with the desktop version. I tried 3 different times and each time it made it to 100% and then said "root failed" so I allowed the tablet to get on the internet to download and install the Kingoroot APK and once I opened up the program within 30-45 seconds I was rooted. I rebooted the tablet and now have Kingoroot's version of SuperSU installed and root privileges.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what these issues are that I keep hearing about FlashFire not wanting to get along with Kingoroot and having to install SuperSU and simultaneously removing Kingoroot to keep root access before I can hot-flash over to another firmware. This is something I haven't done before and haven't seen any clear instructions on how to perform - only a few ways of installing the SuperSU APK and then copying a folder over to the tablet, getting shell access via adb and changing some permissions, and then removing Kingoroot and rebooting. Once I get Kingoroot swapped out for SuperSU I'll be able to install the latest FlashFire and use either Nexus or CM12.1 to perform the wipe and hot-flash. If somebody could help me out by letting me know how to swap the two root apps out I'll be good from that point. I've already bricked two Fire tablets since they've been released and really do not want to brick a third tablet (especially since Flashfire is so risky to use) so I'll have Kingoroot swapped out before I flash to a different firmware by using the latest version of Flashfire available here on XDA and the most recent firmware that's been released.
    Kingroot and Kingoroot are to different root tools
    not sure if Kingoroot will root the 7in 5th gen with 5.1.2, but it may have been updated
    the supertool probably will not work with removing Kingoroot if that is what you have.

you might be able to manually install supersu with a terminal emulator
    http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How-to-Remove-Replace-KingUser-KingRoot-with-SuperSU.html
    just replace the kingroot apk names for the Kingoroot apk(s)

Sent from my KFFOWI using XDA Labs
    I can confirm that the new Kindle Fire tablets running 5.1.3 (the latest) firmware can be downgraded to 5.1.2 by flashing the image via stock recovery and using the "adb push xxx.bin" method of downgrading the tablet without bricking it, and then rooting the tablet via Kingoroot. I read dozens of pages trying to figure out if people were using the desktop app to root the tablet or the APK, and I started with the desktop version. I tried 3 different times and each time it made it to 100% and then said "root failed" so I allowed the tablet to get on the internet to download and install the Kingoroot APK and once I opened up the program within 30-45 seconds I was rooted. I rebooted the tablet and now have Kingoroot's version of SuperSU installed and root privileges.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what these issues are that I keep hearing about FlashFire not wanting to get along with Kingoroot and having to install SuperSU and simultaneously removing Kingoroot to keep root access before I can hot-flash over to another firmware. This is something I haven't done before and haven't seen any clear instructions on how to perform - only a few ways of installing the SuperSU APK and then copying a folder over to the tablet, getting shell access via adb and changing some permissions, and then removing Kingoroot and rebooting. Once I get Kingoroot swapped out for SuperSU I'll be able to install the latest FlashFire and use either Nexus or CM12.1 to perform the wipe and hot-flash. If somebody could help me out by letting me know how to swap the two root apps out I'll be good from that point. I've already bricked two Fire tablets since they've been released and really do not want to brick a third tablet (especially since Flashfire is so risky to use) so I'll have Kingoroot swapped out before I flash to a different firmware by using the latest version of Flashfire available here on XDA and the most recent firmware that's been released.
    - FlashFire freezes with Kingroot installed
    - Use SuperTool to remove Kingroot and install SuperSU (automates process)
    - Recent versions of FlashFire (post 0.30) are not especially risky
    - Suggest going with Nexus as only one file needs to be flashed
    - FlashFire defaults are fine; no need to twiddle mount options
    - Be sure to include a wipe action (system, data, dalvik, cache) before rom flash
    Very nice!

Posting to say thank you! I did not know any of the roms could be flashed with FlashFire! I attached the most recent version of FlashFire.
    Quick Tip if this has not been stated here.
    I have been fighting to have the device rooted but always failed.
    I de-registered my device from Amazon and with in a few seconds it was rooted and i was able to get Super SU installed with no hickups.
    so de-register your device from Amazon before attempting to room via APK or Desktop.