Flashing the VZW/Alltel Hybrid PRL( Helps a lot for some !)

Search This thread

Framework43

Jan 3, 2010
New York City
Before you attempt this, unless you live in these areas, if won't be very much worth it:
alltel-coverage-map.jpg

Although it isn't bad to have just in case. The PRL will connect your phone to Alltel towers if there are any closer to you, if not, it will just use a VZW tower.
/!\WARNING/!\: Doing *228 in dialer , will overwrite the PRL to the regular VZW PRL.

A stronger signal usually has big benefits, especially on battery life.
Unfortunately, it won't help some people. But still, it's always good to have.

1) Click Here to download PRL

2)Take this , and put it on your phone's sd card. Don't put it in any folders on your sd card, just leave it at the front.

3) Go to the dialer and write, ##778 and press call, hold and you should get a pop up.

4) Select Edit Mode, then enter 000000 (6 zeros) as the password.

5) Slide down to PRL, and press Update PRL. ( Please wait a while, it takes some time)

6)Once there, slide down the keyboard and you should see the Hybrid PRL file,press on it, and then press OK.

7) It should bring you to the menu you were before, press the menu button on your phone and select Commit Modifications.

8) The phone will update and reboot. Congrats, you flashed the PRL!

View Snapshots
These pictures pretty much sum it up, Thanks csshih for your fail snapshots and thank sed for upping the PRL to multiupload. =p

Hope this helps some out there!

Last edited:

droidfreak

Apr 4, 2010
San Diego
didn't alltel merge with verizon, so wouldn't that mean that they are already sharing towers.

Yeah when I went to the alltel site to find the coverage map, it asked for my zip code then said that my area was operated by verizon and it had a link to verizon wireless saying that I should go to that site.... did some more investigating and found that alltel's towers were bought by the big companies.... so it seems...

AnomynousPierson

Mar 18, 2010
Sadly v1.1 lacks EPST.apk since I forgot it, take it from another rom and push it.

I've installed EPST.apk from another rom and it appears in the installed applications list, but ##778 still does nothing. Other ideas?

EDIT: Since ##778 fails I tried launching EPST by making a shortcut to it with anycut. It somewhat works. View mode locks the phone up until you hit home. Edit mode asks for password, but after entering it takes forever trying to verify the password before it times out. So I'm still screwed.

Last edited:

silverramsrt

Dec 12, 2009
NC
I've installed EPST.apk from another rom and it appears in the installed applications list, but ##778 still does nothing. Other ideas?

EDIT: Since ##778 fails I tried launching EPST by making a shortcut to it with anycut. It somewhat works. View mode locks the phone up until you hit home. Edit mode asks for password, but after entering it takes forever trying to verify the password before it times out. So I'm still screwed.

I knew ##778 fails on my phone so I did a nandroid backup, wiped, retored to my Ivan .8 backup and flashed the prl from there.

Then restored back to previous rom.

It is a long process but it does work.

stopxstart

Apr 21, 2010
Richmond, VA
Wow.

I did a test before and after flashing this and got these results:

Before: 90kb/s down, 26 kb/s up.
After: 247kb/s down, 79.5kb/s up.

Did the test from the same spot literally 2 min apart.

Gotta say, this may have just solved my reception issues here in Virginia.

jearl75

Mar 4, 2010
Hey guys can some one point me in the direction of where i can find a fix for my 50% time without signal glitch....

plug charger into phone, put in airplane mode, put to sleep for a min, take out of airplane mode, unplug. No time without signal........unless you reboot, then start from beginning.

Only known fix

morphius2036

Sep 4, 2009
G-Vegas
On the Aloysius V7 Rom and no ##778 either. Is it a sprint rom issue? I take it that if I flash the PRL in another backup and go back to this one the PRL stays or is it part of the Rom also?

05swtc

Dec 8, 2007
Central Fla.
Just another example of information being spread all over the place. Framework, I wish you would have just put this information with the thread that was started here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=673589

You experienced android folks on this forum always gripe and complain about the new people and the repetative questions and then you split the information all over the place making this confusing and disorganized.

Im glad you know a way to get this Hybrid PRL on the Eris without a call to Vzn but for some the easiest way is to just call Vzn and request it.

And by the way, If you knew about this PRL, why did you wait till it was pointed out by someoe else before you started a thread.

afoulke

Just another example of information being spread all over the place. Framework, I wish you would have just put this information with the thread that was started here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=673589

You experienced android folks on this forum always gripe and complain about the new people and the repetative questions and then you split the information all over the place making this confusing and disorganized.

Im glad you know a way to get this Hybrid PRL on the Eris without a call to Vzn but for some the easiest way is to just call Vzn and request it.

And by the way, If you knew about this PRL, why did you wait till it was pointed out by someoe else before you started a thread.

Don't take it personally, framework probably just didn't want to hijack your thread, so instead he made a thread with instructions and the download are the first post so users don't have to dig deep in the forum. XDA is pretty good on the amount of repeat threads compared to other sites so its not a huge deal. Either way you both have done the purpose of the forum: inform and instruct.

Framework43

Jan 3, 2010
New York City
Don't take it personally, framework probably just didn't want to hijack your thread, so instead he made a thread with instructions and the download are the first post so users don't have to dig deep in the forum. XDA is pretty good on the amount of repeat threads compared to other sites so its not a huge deal. Either way you both have done the purpose of the forum: inform and instruct.

Thanks for explaining, I couldn't have said it any better.

Anyways, I recommend calling though, its the most updated PRL and is easier for some people.

05swtc,I just think its easier so people could know where to find it, as your thread title wouldn't point them out to it, and it would be easier for them to get it off the first post.

I don't appreciate the sarcastic post you replied with, as I had a reason behind doing so, and I find that this way makes things way less confusing, infact, its a lot more organized.

Last edited:

Sheen160

Feb 18, 2010
Ravenholm
Is there any negative side effects to doing this? I have an ok connection but lately it's been stuck on like 1 or 2 bars. And I'm in Arkansas so since the map shows it's basically covered, I'm assuming it'll help. :p

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone