Flatline - Unbrickable Transformer TF300T - Jellybean edition

Search This thread

vfrvulcan

Mar 7, 2006
Have TF300t. Got blobs, can't access APX mode. Screen will not stay black.

I found it to be an absolute b*st to get into APX mode - multiple reboots before I managed.

In the end I let it boot normally (as it did most times when holding Vol Up!), then held power button for the power menu and selected power off.

At this point I held Vol Up and simply pressed and released the power button - about half a second. It (almost) immediately appeared in Device Manager on Win7. I didn't have the naked drivers installed at this point so simply pointed Win7 to them and job was a good 'un! If you have the naked drivers installed already it should be a doddle.

The number of times I held Vol Up and held Power until something happened... every time it was a normal boot. Hold Vol Up, press and release Power and you should be fine.

Regards

Aaron

Reactions: NeoMatrixJR

vfrvulcan

Mar 7, 2006
I am running chromi 5.04 with that_kernel v5 oc on my tf300t 10.6.153 with twrp 2.5. I have data2sd installed, will that be an issue?

Doesn't appear be an issue with any ROM or kernel.

I was on CROMI 5.0.2/hunds kernel/TWRP2.5. Didn't/don't have Data2SD but all went fine - see post above yours, only issue was getting into APX mode.

Flatline replaces your TWRP then does it's stuff. You can then put TWRP back if you want to. I actually left Flatline there and upgraded to CROMI 5.0.4/That's with no problem. I haven't bothered to put TWRP back yet.

Aaron

xSvenHD

Aug 19, 2012
Ok i just redid eveything including flashing the recovery and it worked now :D Hooray :D
thanks for the nvflash :D

but i still got a question:
if something happends with my tablet, lets say something went wrong with installing a rom how do i restore my tablet with the nvflash files?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

if something happends with my tablet, lets say something went wrong with installing a rom how do i restore my tablet with the nvflash files?

Last edited:

cmendonc2

Aug 29, 2011
Ok i just redid eveything including flashing the recovery and it worked now :D Hooray :D
thanks for the nvflash :D

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Something like this

SaschaG82

Jan 16, 2012
hi ... i already bricked one TF300T and would like to make my second one unbrickable. my english is not so good and i want to be sure what i have to do, after i have flashed the flatline_tf300.img.

The guide says:
After the flash process has completed you will need to reboot your device into recovery. It is important that you reboot completely rather than directly enter recovery. If you don't there is a risk that the process can fail.

How To REBOOT my device into recovery? Is there a fastboot command, or should i choose "RCK" in bootloader via vol-buttons?

thanks for help!

graphdarnell

Jan 25, 2012
hi ... i already bricked one TF300T and would like to make my second one unbrickable. my english is not so good and i want to be sure what i have to do, after i have flashed the flatline_tf300.img.

The guide says:

How To REBOOT my device into recovery? Is there a fastboot command, or should i choose "RCK" in bootloader via vol-buttons?

thanks for help!

You hold the power button until the screen turns dark, then you hold the volume down key while it's rebooting. This will take you to the initial screen with the RCK option. Select it.

BTW, a bit of a digression here for the OP. Since the CWM version inclued in the package is the only one that works with 4.2 bootloader, can we ask that it be released separately so at least we users have a choice between it and TWRP, especially those of us stuck in a situation where the touchscreen isn't working? I know the CWM recovery does not back up well, but still... Thanks.

flumpster

Apr 4, 2011
Rhondda Valleys
You hold the power button until the screen turns dark, then you hold the volume down key while it's rebooting. This will take you to the initial screen with the RCK option. Select it.

BTW, a bit of a digression here for the OP. Since the CWM version inclued in the package is the only one that works with 4.2 bootloader, can we ask that it be released separately so at least we users have a choice between it and TWRP, especially those of us stuck in a situation where the touchscreen isn't working? I know the CWM recovery does not back up well, but still... Thanks.

What do you mean separately?

You don't get much more separate than 1 file (flatline_tf300.img). Flash it and use that CWM if you want to.

hgoldner

Thought I did everything correctly; got the Wheelie to install the bootloader, and it tells me that I already have my *.img files, but I can't reboot into the ROM. System reboot just gives me the Asus screen and "the device is unlocked." I can reboot into recovery or bootloader, but not ROM. Also, when turning off the device, it automatically restarts and hangs at the Asus screen.

UPDATE - Was finally able to update firmware to latest JB 4.2.1 and got full ROM boot. Have lost root temporarily, but I'll work on that later THEN I will try this exploit again. I think the problem was that I was on the FIRST JB bootloader (i.e. 10.4.20.0) at the time. I had asked about whether doing this was okay way earlier in the thread (and was told that it was). I'm not sure that was correct.

Last edited:

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
The AndroidRoot.Mobi Team is proud to present Flatline: Nvflash for TF300T Jellybean!

This release allows generating nvflash blobs for your specific device, making your device unbrickable as long as you have a copy of the blobs.
As a brand new feature, it will also enable wifi and upload a copy of the blob to androidroot's server. Later, a solution will be released to retrieve the blobs from the server if you ever loose them.

https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/guides/tegra3-guide-nvflash-jellybean/

Credit goes to the AndroidRoot.Mobi team:
Bumble-Bee (Apache14), IEF, kmdm, lilstevie & RaYmAn.

Long time no see bro! How the heck have ya been?

On topic- I've never had an issue where I needed an nvflash image yet, but, I have been dying to get ubuntu natively installed. I was reluctant to try since there was no nvflash available. I'm glad to say that following these instructions, I now have nvflash enabled as well as the files created ^_^ Thanks for the heads up on that! Zero issues what-so-ever using windows 7 ultimate x64.

Sidenote - Anyone with dropbox might want to also dump everything there as well as a failsafe. ... the files are not very large at all. I also uploaded all of the nvflash tools, easy fastboot installer, and drivers I used. If anyone needs links for them, just pm me. Ill be more than happy to lend a hand.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Dogpack

Aug 28, 2007
Thought I did everything correctly; got the Wheelie to install the bootloader, and it tells me that I already have my *.img files, but I can't reboot into the ROM. System reboot just gives me the Asus screen and "the device is unlocked." I can reboot into recovery or bootloader, but not ROM. Also, when turning off the device, it automatically restarts and hangs at the Asus screen.

UPDATE - Was finally able to update firmware to latest JB 4.2.1 and got full ROM boot. Have lost root temporarily, but I'll work on that later THEN I will try this exploit again. I think the problem was that I was on the FIRST JB bootloader (i.e. 10.4.20.0) at the time. I had asked about whether doing this was okay way earlier in the thread (and was told that it was). I'm not sure that was correct.

I'm in the same situation on a TF300. Did you just flash the firmware through recovery to get the OS to boot again? I'm assuming I was on the same bootloader as you, rooting after theover the air upgrade to JB, but not certain...just saw this should work with all bootloaders.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Did you just flash the latest firmware through recovery and then the OS booted? I'm having the same issue on a TF300.

Last edited:

hgoldner

Dogpack, I was able to flash the flatline special bootloader, which I immediately noticed was the 4.2-style bootloader, with only 3 icons (RCK, Fastboot, and wipe), as opposed to my original JB bootloader, which had 4 icons. I was then able to reboot to my ROM (which was a custom ROM, stock deodexed) and even able to get into the recovery and run wheelie. However, it never booted again into ROM after I first booted into the special recovery.

Ultimately, what I did was extract the firmware zip from the firmware zip I downloaded from Asus (it's a zip within a zip). Put the zip file on the root of an sdcard (I didn't use my default sdcard because I didn't know whether it would wipe anything. I believe I then rebooted the Asus TF300T into bootloader and it recognized the firmware file. It's possible (I'm not precisely sure) that I flashed it from the special recovery, but don't hold me to that.

Either way, I ended up with the 4.2 bootloader and the 4.2.1 ROM. I do *not* believe I have any recovery. I tried to reboot into recovery and got the red triangle. Tomorrow I am going to flash TWRP 2.6.3.0 from the only system that I can reliably adb/fastboot to my tablet from, then reroot. After my next Nandroid, I'll give flatline another go. Again, I think the moral of the story is "don't try this on the original JB firmware." Until someone with a better experience or superior comprehension of the process tells me otherwise, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dogpack

Aug 28, 2007
hgoldner,

Thanks! I'm in the exact same situation and can confirm the issue. It's after running wheelie that it stops booting. I can boot back into fastboot and flatline, but that's it. I reflashed TWRP for the heck of it I'll go your route to flash the firmware to boot it back up. Greatly appreciated..you saved me a lot of time.

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
I found that mine wouldnt boot to run the 2nd wheelie option either initially. What I ultimately did was flash a system blob of the exact same version to match the flatline bootloader. Then once I was bone stock and matching, I booted into fastboot to reinstall the flatline recovery. After everything was matched , I had zero problems from that point on. Dont forget to wipe user data, system, cache , boot, misc , and recovery a few times before flashing the system blob :)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Nov 13, 2010
Now that NVFlash is working with JB, is there any chance to see an Easyflasher-like tool for TF300T?
I would gladly donate to have a tool that could be used to flash bootloader/firmware/etc in APX mode. It could save lots of trasformers from brick!

Thanks in advance (and sorry for my english, it's not my language),
bye
Davide

Last edited:

dalex7777

Feb 4, 2010
Houston
The AndroidRoot.Mobi Team is proud to present Flatline: Nvflash for TF300T Jellybean!

This release allows generating nvflash blobs for your specific device, making your device unbrickable as long as you have a copy of the blobs.
As a brand new feature, it will also enable wifi and upload a copy of the blob to androidroot's server. Later, a solution will be released to retrieve the blobs from the server if you ever loose them.

Is there something up with the androidroot.mobi hosting? I can't get to the site anymore. Was going to link someone to your NVFlash guide for the TF700T.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So, having read the guide thoroughly, if already on the JB bootloader (10.4.20.0), is it necessary to update to the latest firmwares before running this or can I do it on 10.4.20.0? I note that the guide references bootloader 10.6.1.15.3. Also, anyone know whether doing the NVFlash thing wipes the user data?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to running this on my TF300T once I get my ducks in line.

It works on all currently released bootloaders. If we hear of asus fixing it in a new bootloader, we will put a latest bootloader supported notice on the guide on the website.

Only unlocking the device wipes the user data. Doing the NVFlash thing doesn't wipe anything.
    So I'm a bit confused. This process involved installing a new recovery image. If my device already has TWRP custom recovery and CM10.1 nightly, would I just follow all the steps listed and then reinstall TWRP as a final step? I was concerned with the steps that involved rebooting the device and wasn't sure how that recovery image would handle CM10.1

Yes, you can install whatever recovery you want after getting your blobs.
    You are also free to install whatever bootloader you want afterwards.

The recovery is essentially CWM with some extras, so it should flash any CWM flashable rom without issue.
    thanks

your link don't work
    https://www.androidroot.mobi/introducing-flatline-nvflash-for-jellybean-n7v1-t201-tf300t-tf700t/

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

try this https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/guides/tegra3-guide-nvflash-jellybean/

I cant test it on my tf300t since i done it during ICS, but it did work successfully on my JB tf700 ;)
    Sure do wish OP would come back and answer some of the previous questions about useability...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone