• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Flip camera slight play

Search This thread

Cranky2002

Jun 14, 2019
I just recently gotten my Zenfone 6 and I've noticed that the flip-up camera has some play when touching it or placing it on a table. Every time it touches something it makes a very faint click sound. I'm wondering if this is normal or if only my smartphone has this issue.

aleksander002

Apr 10, 2013
Yeah, this is normal. The hinge moves a bit but it doesn't affect its durability. If you can stand this type of movement in a phone, you will kinda get used to it after a while.

pedxing

Jun 22, 2010
I've noticed this as well, especially after I've had in a loose fitting pocket and it can swing around a bit while walking. There is a retract camera icon on the tool shade, tap this and it will tighten it up again.

Sent from my ASUS_I01WDX using Tapatalk

^^ What they said. It seems to be normal until Asus states it isn't. Seems to be fine and isn't causing any issues other than my own "Whatwasthat!?" whenever I hear some kind of noise from the phone when putting it down or anything.

I did just find out that dropping the phone outside in a parking lot and catching it about 3" from the ground can cause the camera to go from closed to slightly open. Assuming the inertia of my grabbing the phone during the fall snapped it open a bit. The phone gave me an alert saying I should not try to force the camera open, and clicking the retract camera icon put it back where it should be (flips like normal).

epic4GEE

Nov 22, 2010
Glad to hear it isn't just mine. So far the only thing I would knock this phone for is that wiggle, that causes a rattle when vibrating, setting it down or a sharp tap on the screen. Otherwise couldn't be happier with the beast.

aleksander002

Apr 10, 2013
ASUS's employees told that having a lock or braking mechanism would decrease lifespan of a hinge and could eventually break. If they say that those movements are safer that tight positioning I can handle that.

epic4GEE

Nov 22, 2010
ASUS's employees told that having a lock or braking mechanism would decrease lifespan of a hinge and could eventually break. If they say that those movements are safer that tight positioning I can handle that.

Yep same here, minor issue, however it is good to get it out there. I'm sure for some that would bother them more than say you or I.

On a side note, I was looking through the settings and saw the flip camera calibration, went ahead and calibrated it and it definitely seemed to tighten it up a bit atm.