Flip cases that do not cover notification LED, USB and volume rocker

Search This thread

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
I've searched and searched but so far found nothing perfect.

I'm looking for a case that is thin and protects the screen. Something like the original Samsung flip case, but better designed.
I have some requests that so far have killed ALL the cases I've seen - I found none yet matching all:

Must haves:
1-Notification LED visible as I want to be able to glance at the phone on the desk and be aware of new SMS/calls without having to open it.
2-USB dock accessible as I often charge the phone in places where having the case open wouldn't be handy
3-Volume/Power buttons easily accessible, preferably, exposed directly.
4-Cutout for speaker and mic, so that calls can be maintained after the case is flipped closed.
5-SPen easily accessible.

Nice to have:
6-If possible, it should be vertical-oriented and not be too thick, nor fugly.

So far I found no flip cover that matches at least ALL the first 5 requests. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

planetbeen

Oct 13, 2011
Virginia Beach
I have the oem flip cover and although it covers the volume button it is thin and I've had no problem adjusting the volume while it's closed. I always use it closed when I'm in a call. Keeps my yucky face off the screen.

Just a little input for you in case you haven't actually handled the phone with this flip cover installed.

As far as the led cut out I know I watched a you tube review of a flip cover case that had a cut out for led.I remember because the guy doing the review got it wrong at first and thought the opening was for the camera...then turned the phone over and saw the blinking led...

Trying to remember which case though. Saw it in one of these threads....

Sent From My Ginormous Note 2

*edit*
Btw...oem flip cover does not in any way affect the usb port...

Last edited:

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
I have the oem flip cover and although it covers the volume button it is thin and I've had no problem adjusting the volume while it's closed. I always use it closed when I'm in a call. Keeps my yucky face off the screen.

Just a little input for you in case you haven't actually handled the phone with this flip cover installed.

As for the Samsung default case, keeping it closed might be indeed handy while on calls. I have imagined myself holding it with the case on the back but it doesn't seem comfortable. If the volume buttons remain easily pressible even with the cover, I guess I can live with that.

However, the covers block the screen, so during the day at work I will not be able to quickly realize if there is an SMS or other event (we usually have the phones on vibrate and on the desk). Being able to see the led would be great as that would allow to keep the cover closed. Surprising to see how samsung finally added LEDs to SGS3 and Note 2 but didn't bother to make them visible on the case.

Going to try to google some more, perhaps something with a LED cutout shows up.

Last edited:

planetbeen

Oct 13, 2011
Virginia Beach
Found it. I must be bored today!

http://www.examiner.com/review/revi...-couture-leather-case-beige-for-galaxy-note-2

The noreve leather flip case. Has cut outs for all buttons and the led.
It flips vertically instead of to the side...

Link is for a review which also has pics and a video. Looks like they're pricey but very nice quality.

I should probably get off the couch note and actually do something today...

Reactions: Beowulf_pt

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon

Thanks planetbeen, that is exactly the format I was looking for. It is amazing how hard it is to find flip cases with LED cutouts. If the screen is completely covered, I figured having the LED visible would be useful in any case.

about 47 Eur/65 USD. Pricey, but1 the materials look good and there are cutouts for notification LED and even camera. There's even a belt clip option available for 6 Eur. Nice, very nice.
http://www.noreve.com/langue/en/product/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_2_Tradition_leather_case.html

Last edited:

ericshmerick

Apr 7, 2006
Now that I grabbed the free flip cover from the Facebook promo, when it gets here, I will drill a hole in the cover where the notification light is.

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
I took a better look at the Noreve and sadly, it seems they forgot something... there is no cutout for the USB dock. That means you cannot charge the device without opening the flip. Very annoying and not practical in some cases.
Also, the phone cannot be used on calls with the flip closed... there is no cutout for the speaker nor the mic at bottom. Nothing in the designed seemed to make this impossible, but they simply decided not to add it or overlooked the feature.

I guess my search for a flip case with "cut out holes for everything" remains active... there are several cases that have SOME of the features but so far, none with all cutouts.

51pRQxcJyIL.jpg

Any brand using this layout but adding cutouts for the speaker, mic and USB would make some good money, IMHO...

Last edited:

32str8

Jun 23, 2007
I've searched and searched but so far found nothing perfect.

I'm looking for a case that is thin and protects the screen. Something like the original Samsung flip case, but better designed.
I have some requests that so far have killed pretty much all cases I've seen:

Must haves:
1-Notification LED visible as I want to be able to glance at the phone on the desk and be aware of new SMS/calls without having to open it.
2-USB dock accessible as I often charge the phone in places where having the case open wouldn't be handy
3-Volume/Power buttons accessible.
4-Cutout for speaker and mic, so that calls can be maintained after the case is flipped closed.

Nice to have:
5-If possible, it should be vertical-oriented and not be too thick, nor fugly.

So far I found no flip cover that matches the first 4 requests. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Buy any case that you like an use a quality leather punch to achieve your goal. Scared, visit a local leather/craft shop and they will probably do it for you for free.

lynseyw

Oct 23, 2007
San Diego
My modded case!

Buy any case that you like an use a quality leather punch to achieve your goal. Scared, visit a local leather/craft shop and they will probably do it for you for free.

I tried to do an LED mod on a few cases, but it failed. I used a leather hole punch and got a perfect circle cut out where the LED is. I used ridiculously strong epoxy to glue the metal studs on for a different flare. Also, the weight of the studs really keep it closed (although it really does seem to stay closed nicely. Fits the phone perfectly, very minimal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB6VIJK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

2012-12-29223553_zpsc2e3944c.jpg

2012-12-29223610_zpsda5c436a.jpg

Reactions: DOG666

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
Modding the leather is a possibility. Should be easy for the led light, as easy as punching a new hole in a belt. Not so sure about the USB port.

Still, it feels a bit wrong to have that trouble with cases costing a lot of money (like the Noreves) because the manufacturers don't bother to add a little tweak to new models.

If nothing perfect shows up I'll probably go with that approach tho. Don't want to drop the Note and fracture the glass like on my SGS2. :eek:

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon

Noreve screwed up on all cover designs for the Note 2.
My favorite (model A, with the flip) has no USB/mic/speaker slots.
That side-flip one, model B that you mention, has indeed USB+Led+Mic but has no speaker for voice calls while closed. And as far as I can tell, the volume buttons are also not easily accessible while closed (I use them often while playing audio).

The quest continues. Meanwhile, I got this cheap one that has all the features I need except the LED cutout. Other than that, all buttons/holes are accessible and you can fully use it closed,including for charging and talking. Material is probably nasty, but functionality appears to be better.
Since it costs about $5, drilling the hole won't be as annoying as doing it to $50 covers. :fingers-crossed:

a3ab610d-dc1d-48dc-9397-93e37eb42dc0.jpg

Last edited:

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
Still no Note II nor case :( but both should arrive tomorrow. I suspect the case will be acceptable but will not close all that good as it has no magnet.

If anyone else finds one matching those requests on the first post, please share... :fingers-crossed:

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
Going to bump this up a little as I'm wondering if there are more offers in the market now... that is, flip cases with LED holes...

Acery

Jan 28, 2013
I've seen flip covers that allow for caller ID and swiping to answer without having to open the case. I'm surprised they do not have an LED cut out though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://www.examiner.com/review/revi...-couture-leather-case-beige-for-galaxy-note-2

The noreve leather flip case. Has cut outs for all buttons and the led.
    It flips vertically instead of to the side...

Link is for a review which also has pics and a video. Looks like they're pricey but very nice quality.

I should probably get off the couch note and actually do something today...

I bought the LGND Premium Hard-Shell Folio It's not too bad. I like. You can kinda see the light come thru center ear mesh hole area.
    My modded case!

I tried to do an LED mod on a few cases, but it failed. I used a leather hole punch and got a perfect circle cut out where the LED is. I used ridiculously strong epoxy to glue the metal studs on for a different flare. Also, the weight of the studs really keep it closed (although it really does seem to stay closed nicely. Fits the phone perfectly, very minimal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB6VIJK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

2012-12-29223553_zpsc2e3944c.jpg

2012-12-29223610_zpsda5c436a.jpg
    It looks pretty good but as usualy they were lazy too... once more it does not have a cutout for the LED.
    The multicolor notification LED is a great feature of the Note 2 and I refuse to have to cut a hole in a cover, especially if it was expensive to start with.

Sigh. The hunt remains, but I pretty much lost hope. No one cares about the LED.

Like you, I looked pretty much everywhere. I was convinced that this elusive case would become my white whale, and I got tired of the hunt, so I did the following:

1) Purchased the Boxwave Nero from Amazon for a paltry $12.20--yes, a genuine leather vertical case for only $12.20. It has everything you're looking for except the LED notification light and ear speaker (or front-facing camera for that matter) cutout on the top front, but everything else you would want is there--USB slot, exposed sides for controls, rear speaker and camera openings on the back, and primary and secondary mic exposed, thanks to simple vertical design. Plus, all four corners of the phone are protected by the rear of the case. Still, like you, I wanted more.
    2) So I went to my local shoe repairman after I measured and he punched an oblong hole for the LED indicator and ear speaker (I didn't really care about access to the front camera).

I've had the case for about a month and have been very happy with it. I have a soft case with protection for front and back, and I can talk with the case closed, see the notification light, and take pictures. Try that with the Samsung Flip Case, which is so annoying with the horizontal opening hanging there. Of course, I wouldn't use the Boxwave as an outdoors case as the protection is minimal, but for business, it looks very stylish (and did I mention genuine leather?). And the price is unbeatable. I don't think I would have liked putting holes in a $50-$60 Zenus case, but this worked out well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Nero-...95750&sr=8-10&keywords=boxwave+note+2+leather

Good Luck with your search.
    Not sure if posted already or not, but I use that one
    Edit can't post link : Ebay : search SOFT GEL TPU SILICONE SIDE

It's really nice !
    Pro : can use phone without opening !
    Cons : dunno how to explain, but when the face cover touch the screen you can see it, like bubble, but it's ok when screen it on (may post a pic next week if needed)
    Screen may be less responsive on edges with fingers, at least for sometime after you open it, but after a while it works ok, works very well with stylus, no trouble on edges
    Auto luminosity seems to work ok for me but : when calling, the phone does't know when it's not near my ears, and the screen stays black xept I hit a key, bit annoying especially when you want to end a call

Other than that, I think it's a perfect cover, better than samsung one that doesn't protect the phone, it may not be the best protection, but still better than samsung, if it's gonna drop