FM App NextRadio

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
I see no option. That's really too bad, though.
What's the difference between this app and the stock app? It's not bad. Maybe the GPe folks will enjoy this?
I'm not aware of a single modern smartphone readily available in the 1st world that has an HD Radio chip.

No GPE or AOSP, it will only work on phones that have the HTC FM Service that normally only exists on stock ROMs with a working stock app.

It wouldn't work on my OneV or OneX without crashing.

But it worked "OK" on my HTC One with a stock Viper ROM.

The app is "under-whelming" IMO.

More details on my thread for anyone interested: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=44669987#post44669987

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Does anyone like this app ?

I'm not too impressed, but on day 1 the app had 4 ratings & no reviews I think, and was rated 5.

Now it's rated 4.7 and has mostly positive reviews.

There are many "services" out there that provide people to positively rate and review apps. So I get a bit suspicious when an app is new, doesn't seem that great to me, yet ratings/reviews are almost all positive.

Does it deserve a 4.7 rating, at least among US users who are the target ?

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
Does anyone like this app ?

I'm not too impressed, but on day 1 the app had 4 ratings & no reviews I think, and was rated 5.

Now it's rated 4.7 and has mostly positive reviews.

There are many "services" out there that provide people to positively rate and review apps. So I get a bit suspicious when an app is new, doesn't seem that great to me, yet ratings/reviews are almost all positive.

Does it deserve a 4.7 rating, at least among US users who are the target ?
If this works only on Sense ROMs and only on the One (right? If not, I'm sure all phones capable of FM have their own apps), what is the point of this app? I does nothing that the stock app doesn't do.

Maybe the ratings are just "not bad."

EDIT: I used the app and browsed its features, and it seems that it has a lot more features like Genre, Album art, local stations, favorites, physical tuner, etc.I'll definitely be using this in lieu of the stock app.

Last edited:

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
EDIT: I used the app and browsed its features, and it seems that it has a lot more features like Genre, Album art, local stations, favorites, physical tuner, etc.I'll definitely be using this in lieu of the stock app.
Depends on the station. The app developer Emmis Communications owns some stations, and on some of them they support this extra data, IF you have an Internet connection.

Doesn't work if you don't live in the US or don't use one of the stations that doesn't specifically support this.

I think Emmis is charging stations, some of whom are direct competitors, to get that extra data added.

If they are calling this "hybrid radio", it seems to mean you must have FM OTA AND Internet access simultaneously. Might as well stream, I'd think, unless you have significant gaps in data coverage and are OK with losing that extra data in those gaps, without RDS to fallback on.

Last edited:

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
If they are calling this "hybrid radio", it seems to mean you must have FM OTA AND Internet access simultaneously. Might as well stream, I'd think, unless you have significant gaps in data coverage and are OK with losing that extra data in those gaps, without RDS to fallback on.
That works, considering Sprint's crappy everything.

gobaers

Aug 11, 2012
Depends on the station. The app developer Emmis Communications owns some stations, and on some of them they support this extra data, IF you have an Internet connection.

Doesn't work if you don't live in the US or don't use one of the stations that doesn't specifically support this.

I think Emmis is charging stations, some of whom are direct competitors, to get that extra data added.

I think the main advantage to using FM is battery life. Since you're not using the mobile radio, just FM reception, it's power efficient.

It's one of the reasons why I like to download my podcasts instead of streaming them.

Reactions: mikereidis

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
I think the main advantage to using FM is battery life. Since you're not using the mobile radio, just FM reception, it's power efficient.

It's one of the reasons why I like to download my podcasts instead of streaming them.

Good point, it's one of the benefits they tout, though it applies to any OTA FM of course:

Get 3X BETTER battery life compared to streaming music
But I see they also say:

Uses 90% LESS data than streaming music

So they're saying they still use 10% of the data of a streaming app ? I wonder what they need all that for. Sending occasional text and graphics to the phone shouldn't use much. But I wonder how much info they're sending (and what) from the phone to their servers...

Edit: Hmm, some quick calculations and 100-200 KBytes for a graphic or two every minute doesn't seem too out of line. But I'd presume this is only true when the app is on-screen. I guess it's easy enough to check the data use.

Last edited:

Gameross

Jul 8, 2007
Anyone gotten this to work on Sprint HTC One? When I try to install it, it says "This item isn't available on your carrier" which seems like BS to me.

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
Anyone gotten this to work on Sprint HTC One? When I try to install it, it says "This item isn't available on your carrier" which seems like BS to me.
Wut. Isn't this part of the sprint package?
Anyway, I had it working. Gonna install it again (had factory resetted) and report.

gobaers

Aug 11, 2012
I has it. It works. There's a little more data associated with radio listening, and it logs everything so you can get back to content later if you want to. Not sure if there's too much value-add, as I don't think radio listening needs to be that complicated. If you only have the default app, you're not missing that much.

One really nice benefit to these FM tuners is that if I go to an Oakland Athletics game, I can listen to the FM game broadcast in realtime without burning up the battery.

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
Well I just tried again and am getting carrier not allowing, so something probably changed.

Try using a debloated Rom. I'm on stock non rooted, just started fresh. It works.
However, I didn't install the sprint default configuration. Could that have something to do with it?

Gameross

Jul 8, 2007
Well I've tried resetting my device and even signing into Google with a different account and it won't install. I didn't install the Sprint software either. Basically only connected to my router, so nothing is installed.

The icon isn't even on anywhere to be found after the reset and when search for the App on my phone it doesn't even show it, but if I check from my computer it does and show's it's not compatible with any of my devices.

I just got this phone a couple days ago and first thing I did was HTC software update, where there was one and I installed it.

Under Settings->About(and sub menus)I have:
Hardware Version 004
Software version 1.31.651.2
Android 4.1.2
HTC Sense 5.0
HTC SDK 5.12
Kernal 3.4.10-g30a4e11
Baseband version 1.00.20.0626
Build number 1.31.651.2.CL213167 release-keys

Also, while I'm at it, I don't have a Hotspot option under settings.

S

SlimWadey

Personally, I don't like any of the radio stations around here, so I prefer streaming. Plus, you don't get as many (or no) ads. But, let's say I DID want to listen to FM Radio, I'd rather do so with an app like this than TuneIn, let's say. It seems to me they're trying to take the best bits of Stock FM app and TuneIn. Sounds like good enough logic to me.