Folder and pictures disappeared after I tried cutting it into PC

Search This thread

crosscar

Jun 28, 2022
Hi, yesterday when I was trying to back up some of my photos, which I usually cut it from internal device to PC, during the process there was a time all the folders became "empty folders" when I looked on PC screen, I thought maybe just a preview problem that needs time to load, so I directly cut some of those "empty folders" into PC, while it takes less than 1 second, but actually it contains thousands of photos. I checked the folders on PC that are empty contains nothing, but the folders were cutted out of its original place, I couldn't see them in DCIM. When I'm checking my album on my phone screen, I can still see those folders, but the cover photo becomes unavailable, and soon it disappears from my sight.

I believe those photos are still there, they were not cut out, I think maybe just the directory or index is lost, which make them unseeable. I have tried so many different recovery software to look for those photos like DiskDigger, but still couldn't find them, any suggestions on it, what should I do, is root the final solution for it?

Thanks!

The last view of a disappearing folder looks like this:
20220627_224703.jpg

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Meh, copy not cut/paste to backup critical files.
If you need to delete the original do so after it's been successfully copied. Otherwise this will occasionally happen.

The files are there, but retrieving them may not be a doable option.

crosscar

Jun 28, 2022
Meh, copy not cut/paste to backup critical files.
If you need to delete the original do so after it's been successfully copied. Otherwise this will occasionally happen.

The files are there, but retrieving them may not be a doable option.
Yeah you're right, I didn't expect that, usually I just make duplicates after they are moved to PC, I think I won't use cut function so careleslly anymore, copy paste would be much better.

Do you think some software offer "Deep Scan" option that only functions with rooted devices would work?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yeah you're right, I didn't expect that, usually I just make duplicates after they are moved to PC, I think I won't use cut function so careleslly anymore, copy paste would be much better.

Do you think some software offer "Deep Scan" option that only functions with rooted devices would work?
Been there, done that.
Are you rooted? You have more options if so otherwise it's irrelevant.

crosscar

Jun 28, 2022
Been there, done that.
Are you rooted? You have more options if so otherwise it's irrelevant.
No, not yet, that's why I'm here looking for answers, if it's possible I will try to root it and see.

I have also heard something like mirror the disk to PC, and then use EasyRecovery or other tools to recover on PC side, would that be possible too?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
No, not yet, that's why I'm here looking for answers, if it's possible I will try to root it and see.

I have also heard something like mirror the disk to PC, and then use EasyRecovery or other tools to recover on PC side, would that be possible too?
Don't know. It's not like a stand alone flash card.
I avoid getting into this situation by keeping redundant backup hdds.