food for thought for slow MTCD units

Search This thread

moneyvirus

Nov 29, 2012
Wow what a difference, unit is usable direct after boot zero sluggishness, now find a way to boot it up faster lol

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

solmer

Aug 2, 2007
Great!, I've disabled the google services, mail..... and now I can use my unit with no lags... Just in case you need to update an app unfreeze the services and update...I'm using Waze and works with 0 lags, almost instant open. If you need to download an app you can use Aptoide. Use your phone as a phone an your carunit as a carunit, that's the key.....

Reactions: Wout2426

Pattond

Aug 25, 2012
DFW
I've been running the FEB MTCD_KD ROM and MCU with, rooted with Kingo, replaced with SuperSU. Added a WI-Fi toggle widget from Play Store. Loaded "Disable Application [Root]" and disabled all items from a google search. Sideloaded SetCPU, set peak to 1200. Loaded Amazon Underground and F-Droid App stores. Loaded Waze and Spotify from Amazon and Ad-Away from F-Droid.

This is the best the unit has ever run, period. The only remaining complaints are the startup is still 15 to 20 seconds, and the internal Bluetooth mic is still crap. Great running unit.

H0U5ECAT

Jun 30, 2013
Thank you for this!
Google maps would take up to 8 mins to be fully responsive.
Ive disabled all google apps and sideloaded sygic for maps.
Chrome still works for internet browsing but ive yet to see if the auto fill still works. Ill get back to you on that later.
Spotify still signed in with my fb account.
Nothing else so far that ive noticed that has created any issues.
Only thing is that i keep getting notifications that sygic cant update from the play store.
Easy work around was to disable notifications from the settings

Nomader0

Dec 31, 2010
Figured out that if you only disable google services and google play, then google maps still work fine, with just an annoying msg to enable services.. which you can get rid of on app settings by disabling notifications.

Last edited:

RabbidHampster

Oct 30, 2008
Gave this a go on my MTCB and works like a champ. Not an ideal fix considering I use the history function for maps a lot but oh well. I am able to multitask much better while using Google Maps. The notification is a minor inconvenience compared to the lag of death. Will have to see what else may not work without services on but atm I am only using my headunit for nav and music.

I only disabled Google Play Services in the settings-app menu and had this notable improvement.

Nomader0

Dec 31, 2010
Gave this a go on my MTCB and works like a champ. Not an ideal fix considering I use the history function for maps a lot but oh well. I am able to multitask much better while using Google Maps. The notification is a minor inconvenience compared to the lag of death. Will have to see what else may not work without services on but atm I am only using my headunit for nav and music.

I only disabled Google Play Services in the settings-app menu and had this notable improvement.

settings-->apps-->maps, uncheck notifications..

RabbidHampster

Oct 30, 2008
settings-->apps-->maps, uncheck notifications..

Yes, you can also long tap on most notifications to get to that option. However, on my current MTCB Rom, long tap to get to app settings causes a UI crash. I'm leaving the notifications going anyways so I can see what actions/frequency makes it pop up. Thanks.

markinhosmrk

Apr 25, 2012
Disabling Google services worked wonders for my unit, works really faster now.
Only issue I've seen so far is that I can't get my saved places in Maps; would need to input the address when driving.

EDIT: found the following here on XDA:
https://xdaforums.com/android/help/delete-disable-downgrade-prevent-update-t3091832
Will try it in order to keep Google services on their base versions that came with the ROM and see if it works good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantom-X

RabbidHampster

Oct 30, 2008
Anyone ever hear of a google services knock-off called MicroG? https://microg.org/

Seems like it would be worth looking into whether or not something like that can be set up on these units as one of the benefits is reduced memory usage and overhead. I haven't looked into it too hard as this Dad life has me wrapped up constantly.

harlam

Jul 16, 2007
Anyone ever hear of a google services knock-off called MicroG?

Seems like it would be worth looking into whether or not something like that can be set up on these units as one of the benefits is reduced memory usage and overhead. I haven't looked into it too hard as this Dad life has me wrapped up constantly.

I looked into that recently. The main problem would be that one of the requirements is a custom rom without GApps installed. You could go into the rom and delete Gapps but that seems like so much extra work.

In look around for an alternative, I found this: (sorry can't post links yet) but do a search for Yalp,
which talks about a "dummy" play store. I haven't had the chance to use it yet since I'm at work but it seems to fulfill some of the things Play store would provide without the bloatware.

BTW, disabling google services has done wonders to the performance of my MTCD unit, haven't tried the adiutor app yet though. Just haven't tinkered enough to see if there is a way to use Google Now since it would be helpful for the voice commands.

RabbidHampster

Oct 30, 2008
I looked into that recently. The main problem would be that one of the requirements is a custom rom without GApps installed. You could go into the rom and delete Gapps but that seems like so much extra work.

In look around for an alternative, I found this: (sorry can't post links yet) but do a search for Yalp,
which talks about a "dummy" play store. I haven't had the chance to use it yet since I'm at work but it seems to fulfill some of the things Play store would provide without the bloatware.

BTW, disabling google services has done wonders to the performance of my MTCD unit, haven't tried the adiutor app yet though. Just haven't tinkered enough to see if there is a way to use Google Now since it would be helpful for the voice commands.

Have to check that out. Uninstalling gapps would be easy if we could just flash an uninstaller zip. Otherwise, I believe you have to find the files and remove them one by one. Still I think it might be worth a shot at least just to try it.

I was going to make a go at it but my digitizer just went out and I'm considering upgrading to a newer 2gb unit.

I don't think Google now will work without Google services running. Google Now requires a Google account signed in afaik.

harlam

Jul 16, 2007
In terms of uninstalling Gapps, from the recent reading that I was doing, that would be possible through the Xposed framework if I read things correctly, although I have not used that, so it may be "easier" that way. I think it would be worth a look to see if MicroG would work out better.

Did have a chance to try out Yalp (it's actually Yalp Store, if you end up searching for it) and it works great. I was able to sign in with my google account and download through the play store with Google play services disabled through the Disable app.

BTW, I was able to get Google Now working by only disabling Google play store and services, kept the google framework enabled and have not noticed a performance it. The system still works great and is very responsive. I have noticed lag with using Google Maps though, not sure why that is, so have chosen to use Waze instead which works well enough.

If you haven't tried it, I would suggest Car Launcher (small cost) which is a great launcher and the most professional looking IMO, and it has a feature to have the Google Now button included on the launcher home screen, which works great.

Reactions: Pattond

makes2068

Jun 16, 2010
Hambrücken
My Erisin 3015 only works fast and with good response if google service was freezed via titanium.

Deleting update of google services to switch back to the version that came with the unit did not help.

bogdans1

Jul 10, 2016
Should I have root to install and use disable aplication?
If yes please say haw can I do this on Joying 5.1.1 (december 2016 update version).

javiermi

Mar 20, 2017
I have disabled the Google services, and now my head unit is super responsive
For the time being I think is a great solution
Thanks you very much guys

Reactions: LMarr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been struggling with a slow MTCD unit..
    What i did is a little bit unconventional
    1. Download an app called disable Application
    2. open it and do a search for google
    Disable google play services, google play store, google sync, google account management, google play framework. etc.
    3. Close it and test it

you will see that the unit is no longer slow.. Actually it feels like a modern android phone..

Now with that you will lose all google functionality. (sync, play store etc.) but whenever you need it you can just unfreeze those same apps... you will have to reenter your account information as it is going to be reset..

The above actually gave me a clue that the reason these units are slow is the google play services, and i am not very sure that it is the 1 GB RAM that is the problem but the CPU which is being completely overwhelmed by that app..
    something is not right with the play services in our units

just food for thought and easy to do and undo
    i have just spent the last two hours sat in my car trying to get microG to work. After many reboots I have some decent progress.

Basically just use titanium backup to remove the google apps that you can find mentioned on the pre-requisites in the wiki page, also install the fakeGapps xposed module and reboot before starting microG install.

https://github.com/microg/android_packages_apps_GmsCore/wiki/Prerequisites

Then follow the installation instructions.
    https://github.com/microg/android_packages_apps_GmsCore/wiki/Installation

I used the fake play store apk. Then using YALP store as previously mentioned above as a replacement as it's easier for now.

After a lot of fiddling i now have google accounts working, i'm logged in to google now and google maps. both working 100% with my account details. I wanted to use google maps/google drive instead of waze so that's good for me. I also wanted to use Auto Mate launcher but that seems to be a bit buggy atm but works 90%.

It's 100% the way to go, just needs to be an easier route to make it happen, even better if @Malaysk would directly incorporate it into his rom as it enables massive speed improvements.
    My MTCC unit becomes extra laggy when updated to the latest Google Play Services. If I stick to the older version that it came with from the factory, there is no serious lag.

But the latest version is required for certain apps to work - such as YouTube.
    Last step is enough and solve it all... Done it, love it...
    He is ok, but a Google Play and BlankStore aren't acting. Therefore it isn't possible to log on to gmaps.

As in to write this code?

You can not because "Just a sec..."
    Screenshot_2017-03-28-18-41-06.png

Yeah sorry, I had that issue, that's where it got foggy for me. So I accidentally whipped the cache at this point and had to reinstall all the apps. But what i think out of that process that fixed it was, I installed GMScore apk from microg website NOT from f-droid, install the latest version you can find over the top and reboot, hopefully that will work.