• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question For new Pixel 6, not pro, owners- what phone are you coming from?

Search This thread

plazaman91

Feb 10, 2012
Razer Phone 1
Yes, I was a mad lad that bought a razer phone, only feature I miss might be the front-facing speakers on the razer were probably the best I experienced on a phone.

Don't get me wrong razer phone was great, the issue was that razer dropped support for that phone and abandoned their whole phone sector in no time flat, and left everyone who bought their stuff out to dry. Last security patch was December 2019.

ToastyGhostie

Aug 11, 2017
OG Pixel XL. I like to hold on to phones as long as possible. The thing that made me finally upgrade was that the battery became so degraded it would shut off around 70-80% battery. It shocks me they are pretty much the same size, just without bezels, which I like. Jumping 5 phone generations is an amazing feeling lol.

Reactions: Won't be druv

dehelfix

Mar 11, 2012
Vermont
Just got the Pixel 6 yesterday, coming from a 2 XL. To be honest, I wasn't 100% sold on the P6...nor have i been on any phone since the 2XL. My main use case is really photos, slightly worried about what looked to be oversaturated HDR on the P6. But my 2XL's USB port is mostly busted and its tricky to get it charged and the battery tanks in cold temps..so needed to upgrade and $550 seemed a great price for a top of the line camera and decent phone. First impressions have been solid, minus the finger print reader..which is legit bad. First phone upgrade that left me feeling "meh"... just the same but faster...but i think thats more the state of phones than the P6.

Won't be druv

Feb 16, 2012
Oneplus 7 Pro. It's been a wonderful phone but since I needed to replace my son's broken Motorola I passed it onto him. It was a no brainer as I got a sweet deal from EE in the UK. I had a variety of Nexus phones but gravitated to Oneplus when Pixel came along as they were at the time better value imo.

Absolutely loving being back with a Google phone and I think this will be the first phone I won't bother rooting. That hasn't happened since HTC Desire days ten or 11 years ago!

SilverLynx

Feb 15, 2010
Norwich
Google Pixel 6
Samsung S9+
The top 25% of the screen was unresponsive, and the bottom was starting to go that way too. When I looked into getting another Samsung, they had a bunch of models with different numbers and letters, instead of the typical 'S' progression (S7, S8, S9, etc). I didn't really want to do that much research, and I've always wanted to try a Pixel phone, so here I am.

VozerCozer

Dec 4, 2021
iPhone 4s -> Droid Turbo 2 - > iPhone 6 - > Pixel 2XL - > iPhone 8 - > iPhone XS Max -> Pixel 6

The Pixel 6 is the first phone I've ever bought myself, upfront, unlocked and everything.

Top Liked Posts

One of the best things you can do when deciding on a new device, is go to PhoneArena.com and in the menu, select spec comparison page. I never decide until I've done this with every phone I've updated to. Use your old phone as the first of three side by side comparison's. It's a big help deciding.
    Would soon be making over the switch from a OnePlus 9 Pro. Full disclosure, I'm actually an Android App Dev and I own multiple Android Phones. I bought the OnePlus 9 Pro planning to be a long-term user and make do with its Oxygen OS. Personally been a fan of Oxygen OS 10 and below, but 11 was fine for me. ColorOS/Oxygen 12 really pinned down the nail in the coffin for me a daily OnePlus 9 Pro user. I really hate it. At this point, I even maintain the Evolution X ROM for that phone, but for me OnePlus is sincerely dead as a smartphone company.

Having a Pixel 6 unit imported over to India from the US because I'm honestly just desperate to have a stock Android phone with no fuss at this point.
    One of the best things you can do when deciding on a new device, is go to PhoneArena.com and in the menu, select spec comparison page. I never decide until I've done this with every phone I've updated to. Use your old phone as the first of three side by side comparison's. It's a big help deciding.
    Pixel 3a XL. Nearly identical overall size, but the P6 screen is much bigger (smaller bezels) and nicer. Overall the camera performance is slightly better, but having the wide angle lens is really nice. I also believe that Google will continue to tweak the software for the new camera chip and make the performance better over time. The fact that they were able to match the performance of the older camera chip (that they have been tweaking on for 3+ years) on release day is pretty amazing.

I've always purchased mid-price phones. I simply cannot bring myself to spend $1000 or more on a phone that regardless of how good it is, will need to be replaced in a few years. The price difference between the Pixel "A" series phone and the P6 was small enough and the extra features of the P6 were good enough that I decided it was worth the extra money to buy the P6. I would not however spend the extra $$ on a P6P over a P6.

I'm 100% satisfied with my upgrade and would make the same decision again after using the P6 since release day.

PS - I have zero issues with the finger print reader. I'm not running a screen protector at this time (but would like to). I have only saved each finger once as well as there has been no need to save it multiple times. I probably have a 95% first scan success rate.
    OP6T and OP8T. Great hardware. I was tired of waiting for updates.
    I'm in the mix to possibly buy a P6 , but I'm curious what phone you're leaving behind. Plus, how has the new phone compared or not?