For the Millions of Pixel 4a's sold , not much going on here.

jawz101

Jun 4, 2009
I think the modding scene died as stock Android progressively chipped away at the best major features of custom ROMs. Better privacy controls, power savings, night & dark modes, quick tiles. Those were pretty much the biggest selling points for me. The only other custom ROM features people liked were PIE controls and and silly animations.

And with the Pixel you'd lose so many of the Pixel extras if you flash a custom ROM. (recognizing music, probably live transcribe, the nifty Live Wallpapers, etc.

I've been occasionaly racking my brain to figure out if there are any value-added features left to pursue. Say, for LineageOS- they could replace all of the stock audio files with some high quality and very unique sounds, get some interesting wallpapers (a fresh coat of paint.), improve the stock launcher, bundle F-Droid, and offer Google Cloud Messaging and location svcs alternatives. They did/are add(ing) an online backup solution called SeedVault.

It's a difficult thing to think of any original ideas. I also have this per-app fuzzy location idea I submitted to Google issue tracker (which iPhone also came up with recently. I think they call it Approximate Location.)

It used to be more exciting to be a flashaholic but every time I look at the custom ROMs these days they don't "do anything" for me. More minuses than pluses.

nixromancer

Sep 13, 2020
And with the Pixel you'd lose so many of the Pixel extras if you flash a custom ROM. (recognizing music, probably live transcribe, the nifty Live Wallpapers, etc.
I have all these working on derpfest but I generally agree with your point. Im mostly modded for some personal QoL changes that might not be worth having SafetyNet broken, im weighing it atm

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I rooted for about 2 weeks until a security update happened. It's such a pain to update without TWRP, I went back to stock. Only thing I miss with root is backing up data with Swift BU. There are a few other things that are nice with root, but not necessary (mainly custom accent colors, and fonts). I know I'd love to be back on Derpfest, but until a stable TWRP is available, sticking with stock.

slikv55

Dec 9, 2018
Bought the Pixel 4a precisely to avoid all this root and modding stress. And I was not disappointed, everything runs perfectly.

a1291762

Nov 20, 2012
yasmar.net
My last 2 phones ran stock with root. This phone is no exception. I'd be on a custom ROM if the stock wasn't AOSP (eg. Samsung, MIUI, etc). Magisk fixes up any annoyances.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
I rooted for about 2 weeks until a security update happened. It's such a pain to update without TWRP, I went back to stock. Only thing I miss with root is backing up data with Swift BU. There are a few other things that are nice with root, but not necessary (mainly custom accent colors, and fonts). I know I'd love to be back on Derpfest, but until a stable TWRP is available, sticking with stock.
Hi,

I just bought a Pixel 4a, downgraded it to A10 and install Magisk and TWRP.

It seems to be running fine so far (1 week).

But I am concerned with your comment above about a security update breaking your root.

Is this right?

If so, then is there a way to stop auto-security updates?

Royalfox

Jul 17, 2011
Guadalajara
Hi,

I just bought a Pixel 4a, downgraded it to A10 and install Magisk and TWRP.

It seems to be running fine so far (1 week).

But I am concerned with your comment above about a security update breaking your root.

Is this right?

If so, then is there a way to stop auto-security updates?
Yes it is recommended to turn off auto updates. Go to developers settings > turn off automatic system updates

Reactions: JohnC

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Magisk fixes up any annoyances.
What Magisk modules would you recommend?

I am coming from a Samsung S4 and I liked that the built-in Samsung apps each had a different material color header (Phone - green, Email - blue, SMS - Yellow), but the phone app and message app are just mainly all-white screen apps. But this gripe is theme related.

What other non-theme issues have you used magisk to fix?

SilentDevGuy

Feb 10, 2021
I would still root for privacy and security reasons, but I can see why the regular schmegular joe wouldnt need to care. Pixel4a is a great phone stock or modded.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
I think you and I have different ideas about what needs to be fixed. Adding busybox, updated tz files, removing system from apps so they can be suspended in the background. That's the kind of stuff I have.
I meant like what modules/apps do you find indispensable?

I am using XprivacyLUA, +AFwall Titanium Backup, Autostarts and Gravitybox to keep privacy up and to keep running apps to a minimum.

I'm pretty happy that I was able to find a phone that I could install the apps needed to get the control over it as I wanted.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
removing system from apps so they can be suspended in the background.
I know how to freeze apps using TB, which totally disables them. But it sounds like you are just removing their background running permission, but still let them run when you want.

How do you do that?

a1291762

Nov 20, 2012
yasmar.net
I know how to freeze apps using TB, which totally disables them. But it sounds like you are just removing their background running permission, but still let them run when you want.
Android has the ability to block any app from running in the background. It's a battery saving feature. But you can't do it to system apps. The primary system app I've seen abusing this inability to block it is Google maps. It works just fine as a user-installed app. Magisk debloat apps (I used terminal debloater) remove system apps (without actually having to modify /system) allowing you to install them as user apps.