• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

For those of you using the stock ROM, what are your plans for migrating once we reach EOL?

Search This thread

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
As I'm sure we all know here, our beloved Pixel 3 XLs are officially getting dropped by Google in about three weeks. If history repeats itself, though, we will get the Android 12 release in October followed by one last OTA in December. My typical usage pattern with a phone is:
  1. Get the phone and use the stock ROM until the phone reaches EOL.
  2. Once EOL is reached, move to LineageOS.
I know that this is a pattern that some others more or less follow as well, but I was wondering about what variations there are to the pattern. Does anyone here use another ROM? As much as I like LineageOS, I would be more interested in using a ROM that is basically identical to stock Android. I have read about compiling AOSP from source so as to maintain my own ROM that does just that, but from what I understand, that does not work very well for unsupported devices. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
The Capital above the Lower one...
Off the top of the head... EOL only means no more official updates or support, ie security fix's...

Your fone working on a custom rom will still work, since you'd think it was the custom rom updated...

If they do stop the fone calling, there's plenty other apks for 'near field' communication

Free wifi calling hint hint..

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Oh yes, I know that functionality-wise the phone will continue working as before. What I want to know is, what are people considering in regards to custom ROMs?
Kl, well, me, I'm wondering this too just now, because I'm stuck with a system-as-root fone thats a pain, and now there's too many different too choose from, and if they're of the best quality, they now have to cover at least 4 different styles of booting alone, I'd watch those for the ones updating quickest :)

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
Kl, well, me, I'm wondering this too just now, because I'm stuck with a system-as-root fone thats a pain, and now there's too many different too choose from, and if they're of the best quality, they now have to cover at least 4 different styles of booting alone, I'd watch those for the ones updating quickest :)
Well, LineageOS certainly does that, but at the same time, it also takes them about 6 months to move to a new major release of Android. I was hoping that someone would know of a release that does it just as well, but is a little more flexible with migrating. I haven't found any myself.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
As I'm sure we all know here, our beloved Pixel 3 XLs are officially getting dropped by Google in about three weeks. If history repeats itself, though, we will get the Android 12 release in October followed by one last OTA in December. My typical usage pattern with a phone is:
  1. Get the phone and use the stock ROM until the phone reaches EOL.
  2. Once EOL is reached, move to LineageOS.
I know that this is a pattern that some others more or less follow as well, but I was wondering about what variations there are to the pattern. Does anyone here use another ROM? As much as I like LineageOS, I would be more interested in using a ROM that is basically identical to stock Android. I have read about compiling AOSP from source so as to maintain my own ROM that does just that, but from what I understand, that does not work very well for unsupported devices. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I've already moved to LineageOS, simply to get the monthly security updates. I have not seen any functional loss on LineageOS. If you don't feel you need security updates, just stay on the stock ROM, especially if you think you need any Android 12 features. IMO, new Android features simply add more bloat than I want or need. Your opinion may differ.

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
Not at all, they all sound excellent, however, my fone cant write to the actuall system, can mount, but no joy yet doing anything else, and no overlay works so far, the only custom os I could install was a chrooted nethunter, which was pretty lame and useless being my system as root is a pain... so I'm looking..

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
I've already moved to LineageOS, simply to get the monthly security updates. I have not seen any functional loss on LineageOS. If you don't feel you need security updates, just stay on the stock ROM, especially if you think you need any Android 12 features. IMO, new Android features simply add more bloat than I want or need. Your opinion may differ.
My plan, at least for now, is to ride on stock until the last update is pushed, and then once LOS gets updated to 12, I will migrate. The only problem with this, though, is that it would leave me without security updates from the end of December until either March or April, and I am not sure how I feel about that.

Reactions: dcarvil

spschneer

Dec 22, 2014
My experience might help...Last year I was using a Motorola 5Plus with Pixel Experience Rom and loved it. My phone was fast, stable and highly compatible to the "Pixel Experience". I had a hardware issue and decided I liked the PE so much, I went ahead and got a Pixel 3xl...I've never had such a seamless transition...was just faster with better hardware but almost no thought changing for different mechanisms of actions...

I'm hoping someone picks up PE and ports it to the 3XL and I'll use that....otherwise, any alternative suggestions for closest to "stock" Pixel would be appreciated...

S

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
I liked the PE so much, I went ahead and got a Pixel 3xl...I've never had such a seamless transition...was just faster with better hardware but almost no thought changing for different mechanisms of actions...
Yeah I have seen PixelExperience and would really like to use it over LOS if the 3 XL gets support. As far as I know, the 2 XL did not receive support until it's EOL, so there's hope. Is the feature parity as spot-on as is claimed?

spschneer

Dec 22, 2014
Yeah I have seen PixelExperience and would really like to use it over LOS if the 3 XL gets support. As far as I know, the 2 XL did not receive support until it's EOL, so there's hope. Is the feature parity as spot-on as is claimed?
For the features and functions I use, it was almost totally seamless...it was less than a typical release level amount of change (e.g.: 10->11 was more than I experienced PE -> P-3xl)
YMMV however...based on what features/functions you use most heavily.
S

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
For the features and functions I use, it was almost totally seamless...it was less than a typical release level amount of change (e.g.: 10->11 was more than I experienced PE -> P-3xl)
YMMV however...based on what features/functions you use most heavily.
S
Great! I guess it's time for me to start researching building my own image.

spschneer

Dec 22, 2014
"David B said he's gonna research building PE for 3xl....

GREAT...be sure to use the AOSP version ... there are a couple of flavors of PE but IMHO the AOSP version is the closest to the stock 3xl ...

If you don't mind guiding me a little over the rough patches, I'd be willing to help test your creation once you're out of alpha<G>...(my 3xl is my daily driver)... specifically, I'm used to having TWRP available for the maintenance/management of the ROM and if I understand it properly, TWRP isn't used / available for the 3xl ROM's...

Thanks
S.

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
"David B said he's gonna research building PE for 3xl....

GREAT...be sure to use the AOSP version ... there are a couple of flavors of PE but IMHO the AOSP version is the closest to the stock 3xl ...

If you don't mind guiding me a little over the rough patches, I'd be willing to help test your creation once you're out of alpha<G>...(my 3xl is my daily driver)... specifically, I'm used to having TWRP available for the maintenance/management of the ROM and if I understand it properly, TWRP isn't used / available for the 3xl ROM's...

Thanks
S.
For now, I would like to hold off on it. I don't really see a point in putting effort in to building PE for the 3 XL when we're about two weeks away from the next major Android release, at which point, PE will need reworked by the dev team. If the 3 XL is not picked up by someone else in the modding community at release time, and I've seen some people that think it will be, then I will start researching it.

spschneer

Dec 22, 2014
For now, I would like to hold off on it. I don't really see a point in putting effort in to building PE for the 3 XL when we're about two weeks away from the next major Android release, at which point, PE will need reworked by the dev team. If the 3 XL is not picked up by someone else in the modding community at release time, and I've seen some people that think it will be, then I will start researching it.
Sounds like a plan...will keep an eye on development threads for it once it goes out of support.

Reactions: David B.

bobbyphoenix

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Even though the last update will be in Dec I'll probably keep using the 3XL until the 7 comes out (or 6a maybe). I just had the battery replaced a couple months ago, and there is nothing wrong with the phone. I usually use devices until EOL hits, and then upgrade when the next OS/phone comes out, so whatever device I'm using at any given time is on the current OS release (IE: 3XL on Android 12 until Android 13 drops, and then upgrade phone to get Android 13).

David B.

Mar 25, 2016
I would like to use that method, but I think it's too expensive, so I try to settle for "my phone's basically dead."

quera

Dec 10, 2011

Does the unlimited Google Photos upload work on LineageOS?

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
I don't know how to tell if it is still in effect. I see photos counted against my storage allotment, but don't know if that is just for my previous phones, or if it includes the Pixel photos.

My guess is you would have to use the Google Camera and Photo apps to keep unlimited upload, if it can be kept with LineageOS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My plan, at least for now, is to ride on stock until the last update is pushed, and then once LOS gets updated to 12, I will migrate. The only problem with this, though, is that it would leave me without security updates from the end of December until either March or April, and I am not sure how I feel about that.
    Sounds like a plan...will keep an eye on development threads for it once it goes out of support.
    Although I have no personal experience with it, I've read somewhere in the past that it does indeed still work. Considering that this perk ends on January 31, 2022 though, I am not sure if it is worth worrying about it all that much.
    Although I have no personal experience with it, I've read somewhere in the past that it does indeed still work. Considering that this perk ends on January 31, 2022 though, I am not sure if it is worth worrying about it all that much.

Original quality ends on January 31, 2022. However, High quality unlimited upload is forever. I doubt Pixel 6 will feature again unlimited uploads.
    Hmm. Came here with the same question. Development for the 3 XL seems to be behind the older devices and I'm hoping it's just a matter of waiting for EOL to drive demand up high enough to make it worthwhile.
    I'm hoping that with the impending EOL for the 3 XL, PixelExperience will start supporting it. LineageOS was nice at the time that I used it, but it was always a bit frustrating that it took them so long to port all of their ROM-specific features to the new AOSP codebase. I'd rather have a ROM that's closer to the stock experience, and from what I can tell, PixelExperience offers exactly that.