Force wifi to connect to only 5ghz

Search This thread

angka8

Nov 25, 2008
i am using a router which broadcast both 2.4ghz and 5ghz band using single SSID. how do i force my phone to only allow to connect to the 5Ghz wifi network. i cannot turn off the 2.4ghz band as there are other devices in my house that only support 2.4ghz or do i want to split the bands into 2 SSID.
Thank you.

angka8

Nov 25, 2008
Yes not sure why did Google remove that option. Any hidden secret code i.e. *#00*# etc that allowed us to make changes to network setting.

rsacipher

Jan 22, 2006
Washington DC
Some routers have band steering which will force devices to 5ghz if supported while keeping 2.4ghz for devices that can't.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Eagle 3

Mine only 1 ssid for both band. Seem like there is no solution and i had to split the bands into 2 ssid.

I only have 1 ssid. Like I said, I turned off Auto Connect for 2.4ghz so it always stays on 5ghz.

Attachments

• WiFi.jpg
    WiFi.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 9,244
Last edited:

angka8

Nov 25, 2008
I only have 1 ssid. Like I said, I turned off Auto Connect for 2.4ghz so it always stays on 5ghz.

thanks, but for me both the bands are broadcast into one SSID. which means i can only find one wifi connection and the wireless router will change the band connection based on the signal strength when i am moving around the house. it will change the connection to 2.4ghz when i am in some place where the 5ghz connection is weak. why i wanted to stay with 5ghz when the connection is weak because it give a much higher download/upload speed compare to the 2.4ghz connection which somehow got much weaker internet speed to the extent of unusable.

Snowleopard1900

May 28, 2012
thanks, but for me both the bands are broadcast into one SSID. which means i can only find one wifi connection and the wireless router will change the band connection based on the signal strength when i am moving around the house. it will change the connection to 2.4ghz when i am in some place where the 5ghz connection is weak. why i wanted to stay with 5ghz when the connection is weak because it give a much higher download/upload speed compare to the 2.4ghz connection which somehow got much weaker internet speed to the extent of unusable.

Buy a new router where you can separate them and then disable or turn off the 5ghz connection

enjoylife1788

Mar 9, 2009
Mumbai
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Looks like this is quite an issue for N2Us. I have a 4 year old iphone and it stays connected to 5GHz in the same place and N2U reverts to 2.4. I have band steering and have been really well on all other devices. Issue lies only with N2U.

angka8

Nov 25, 2008
Buy a new router where you can separate them and then disable or turn off the 5ghz connection
Mine can separate them but since it is only affecting my phone, I hope the change can be on the phone instead. By separating them, I will need to configure all those devices that can only connect to 2.4ghz. e.g. ring peephole

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Errr...you actually DON'T have one SSID but 2. The band is appended on the name and they are actually 2 different WiFi networks with different names so you could turn off auto-connect on the 2.4GHz one

xtrememorph

Mar 16, 2010
I use the Wireless Mac Filter on my router to block 2.4Ghz Band for my phone mac address, so the phone can only connect to 5Ghz

SenatorDC

Jun 2, 2015
If you are using a Samsung phone in the advanced settings for wifi, turn off use randomised MAC address and use the phones actual MAC. This fix has been tested on Netgear routers and works, phone will join the faster 5ghz and still be able to switch to 2.4 if you are at a distance from the router

Reactions: FosCoJ

FosCoJ

If you are using a Samsung phone in the advanced settings for wifi, turn off use randomised MAC address and use the phones actual MAC. This fix has been tested on Netgear routers and works, phone will join the faster 5ghz and still be able to switch to 2.4 if you are at a distance from the router
Thanks, this worked with Pixel 4a on ruckus WiFi as well!

willcor

Oct 2, 2008
i am using a router which broadcast both 2.4ghz and 5ghz band using single SSID. how do i force my phone to only allow to connect to the 5Ghz wifi network. i cannot turn off the 2.4ghz band as there are other devices in my house that only support 2.4ghz or do i want to split the bands into 2 SSID.
Thank you.
This is what i did .
(It might give you an very easy option /idea .)
My current setup is a Nokia fibre router that has 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands
I bought a reasonable priced wifi mesh 'TP DECO M4 "then
connected it to my fibre router ( ethernet cable )

The TP wifi mesh comes with an Android app fo configure it (settings )
All i did was swicth off the 2.4 ghz band in app, for my TP decom 4 model .
So if i wand to use only 5ghz i connect to my TP DecoM4 ( which is connected to my Nokia fibre router)

My othe devices( that only use 2.4 ghz bands ) i connect dirrectly to my Nokia fibre router, that has 2.4ghz band active ...and also the 5ghz ,
So fo me its a matter of to switch 2.4 ghz on and off in the Android TPlink app .
Hope this give you an very straightforward option ?
good luck

see screenshots below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-045425_Deco.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-045425_Deco.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 787
  • Screenshot_20211115-045343_Deco.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-045343_Deco.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 793
  • Screenshot_20211115-045309_Deco.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-045309_Deco.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 797
Feb 15, 2017
mogi mirim - SP - Brazil
I found a solution that worked for me, i am using a xiaomi router and a s21

"in the settings of your phone / Connections / Wifi / settings of your network put:
IP-DHCP Settings
Phone MAC-MAC address type"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you.