Forcefully enable "5G Only Mode"

Search This thread

mani.1

Oct 6, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking to enable "5G Only" mode (packet switching to be more specific) on my Note 20 Ultra. I have tried all the apps available out there but the closest I've come is that I have enabled LTE Only mode (which works perfectly as it should btw). Most apps say that they can enable "5G only" mode but there are no options to do so in the menu.

Calling out all experts for their kind recommendations. My device model is SM-N986B/DS

PS. I'm looking for a way to do this without rooting my phone.

Best Regards.

Nastrahl

You can by launching the hidden phone activity. For that you can you can download Activity Launcher, and search for "hidden", then open the phone settings one.

You'll the be able to use the select band only mode, and select all 5G NR only.

Il do it for 4G and 5G for when it'll come, and works flawlessly (it never goes back to 3/2G).

mani.1

Oct 6, 2011
You can by launching the hidden phone activity. For that you can you can download Activity Launcher, and search for "hidden", then open the phone settings one.

Il do it for 4G and 5G for when it'll come, and works flawlessly (it never goes back to 3/2G).

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. The thing is that I tried that and I couldn't see 5G NR Only option. And if I select "Band Selection Mode", then it displays the message "Fail". Screenshots attached for reference. Can you please guide me further?

Last edited:

Nastrahl

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. The thing is that I tried that and I couldn't see 5G NR Only option. And if I select "Band Selection Mode", then it displays the message "Fail". Screenshots attached for reference. Can you please guide me further?

You're welcome.

Sure!
You have to go to the hamburger menu then "Band Selection".

Here you select all the bands you want, then you turn the button on the upper right on. It will automatically select the bands selection mode afterwards.

Last edited:

mani.1

Oct 6, 2011
@Nastrahl
Thank you so much man. Okay one more clarity I need, lets suppose I choose the NR B77 Band in the band selection, then:

1. Do all the other technologies (i.e. 2G/3G/LTE) gets disabled and the "network connectivity mode" gets automatically set to "5G Only" ?
2. Will this mimic the same scenario when I choose "LTE only" mode in which the phone basically shifts to packet switching mode instead of the the regular circuit switching mode. (i.e. only mobile data is enabled, you can't receive or make calls in this mode)

Cheers!

Nastrahl

@Nastrahl
Thank you so much man. Okay one more clarity I need, lets suppose I choose the NR B77 Band in the band selection, then:

1. Do all the other technologies (i.e. 2G/3G/LTE) gets disabled and the "network connectivity mode" gets automatically set to "5G Only" ?
2. Will this mimic the same scenario when I choose "LTE only" mode in which the phone basically shifts to packet switching mode instead of the the regular circuit switching mode. (i.e. only mobile data is enabled, you can't receive or make calls in this mode)

Cheers!

Hi, no problem.

1. Yes in that case all except the technology (5G in that case) you chose and the band you selected is disabled. So it's the same as if you would have set the phone to "5G only" if that explicit mode was available.

I personally set it by selecting all LTE and 5G bands, to mimic a "only LTE and 5G" mode.

2. It depends if your provider supports voice over LTE to make calls without rendering back to 3G or 2G network.

In my case, I can use LTE for both so I didn't care about 3G/2G, that why I set bands selection to only LTE and 5G bands (the latter when it will be available in my country)

But some providers doesn't supports calling with LTE and needs to switch back to the older 3G or 2G to be able to. Unfortunately if you lock bands to LTE, calling won't work at all (only data), and about 5G it may also depend if they support it.
If they do it will work with bands selection mode, otherwise no.

Have a good day!

mani.1

Oct 6, 2011
Hi, no problem.

1. Yes in that case all except the technology (5G in that case) you chose and the band you selected is disabled. So it's the same as if you would have set the phone to "5G only" if that explicit mode was available.

I personally set it by selecting all LTE and 5G bands, to mimic a "only LTE and 5G" mode.

2. It depends if your provider supports voice over LTE to make calls without rendering back to 3G or 2G network.

In my case, I can use LTE for both so I didn't care about 3G/2G, that why I set bands selection to only LTE and 5G bands (the latter when it will be available in my country)

But some providers doesn't supports calling with LTE and needs to switch back to the older 3G or 2G to be able to. Unfortunately if you lock bands to LTE, calling won't work at all (only data), and about 5G it may also depend if they support it.
If they do it will work with bands selection mode, otherwise no.

Have a good day!

Worked like a charm. Thank you for all the help and the detailed explanation. @Nastrahl . :)

Hello i tried to download activity launcher and search for the word "hidden" but no result.
I am using huawei P40 PRO. no gms
is it possible to force 5g on my phone? i hope it can thank you

Nastrahl

Hello i tried to download activity launcher and search for the word "hidden" but no result.
I am using huawei P40 PRO. no gms
is it possible to force 5g on my phone? i hope it can thank you
I don't own an Huawei phone so it may have a different name, or it may not exist on that model at all...
Unfortunately it could be a Samsung only feature.

mustaph12

Jan 27, 2016
I

I was able to launch the hidden after rooting my phone, please is there any way to lunch without root?

After selecting all NR I don't get 5G, I get (no service) meanwhile I am in the 5G area and I use to get 5G for some time like the attached picture.
Screenshot_20221001-020153_Call settings.jpg

Any solution please?

Last edited:

Nastrahl

I

I was able to launch the hidden after rooting my phone, please is there any way to lunch without root?

After selecting all NR I don't get 5G, I get (no service) meanwhile I am in the 5G area and I use to get 5G for some time like the attached picture.
View attachment 5724537
Any solution please?
Unfortunately not anymore as far as I know