• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Ford Fiesta Steering Wheel buttons not working

Search This thread

Haldamiiiir

Dec 3, 2020
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help. I installed a Tesla Style Android radio into my 2011 Ford Fiesta recently and everything works properly through the canbus except the Steering wheel controls. I've tried altering the canbus settings in the factory settings section but it didn't work. The radio can detect when the car is in reverse (for the camera to come on) and also when any of the doors are open so the canbus box is definitely working just not the steering wheel controls. I have the exact steering wheel controls as the original poster with the M button in the middle instead of the newer OK button. From what I understand, I need to take one of the wires coming off connector X1 and join it with another wire on connector A which is the ISO connection going into the back of the radio. This basically bypasses the canbus box for steering controls if I understand correctly. Problem is I have no idea which colour wires to join together! I also have a key2 brown wire coming off connector A that isn't going into anything but based on googling that's normal and can be ignored. Could someone provide photos or something as to which wires need to be joined

JRitman

Jul 30, 2021
No key 1 I just have a Key 2 wire. I tried to cut all wires and linked one by one. Finally I connected a white with a blue and I got different voltage. I restored all other and it works now.
Thank you for your reply I deeply appreciate.
Hey, Just wondering do you have any images for that change ? am having the same problem, I cant see key 1 but have key 2 in Pink left lose.

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
There's are two different ways the SWC works:
1. Via Canbus. In this case the correct canbus settings are required on the head unit and it's important to know that not all cars propagate the SWC to its canbus. So it may not work for your car even there is a canbus box in place.
The key functions are fix defined by the head unit firmware and can't be changed by the SWC settings app to assign functions to the buttons of the steering wheel.

2. Via resistance. The buttons of the steering wheel build a resistance matrix. You car has a KEY wire and a KEY GND wire and depending on which key you press the resistance changes (can be checked by measuring the resistance between KEY and Key GND with a multimeter).
The head unit has a connection for KEY1, KEY2 and KEY GND. KEY2 is only needed if you have a steering wheel with many buttons and your car manufacturer implemented two resistant matrices.
In this case the SWC settings app can be used to assign specific functions to the buttons.

JRitman

Jul 30, 2021
There's are two different ways the SWC works:
1. Via Canbus. In this case the correct canbus settings are required on the head unit and it's important to know that not all cars propagate the SWC to its canbus. So it may not work for your car even there is a canbus box in place.
The key functions are fix defined by the head unit firmware and can't be changed by the SWC settings app to assign functions to the buttons of the steering wheel.

2. Via resistance. The buttons of the steering wheel build a resistance matrix. You car has a KEY wire and a KEY GND wire and depending on which key you press the resistance changes (can be checked by measuring the resistance between KEY and Key GND with a multimeter).
The head unit has a connection for KEY1, KEY2 and KEY GND. KEY2 is only needed if you have a steering wheel with many buttons and your car manufacturer implemented two resistant matrices.
In this case the SWC settings app can be used to assign specific functions to the buttons.
Hi , I the original canbus in no steering wheel control or door opening or close detected , I got a different on and that show when my door is open but it’s show on the wrong side of the car , but again now steering control

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
Hi , I the original canbus in no steering wheel control or door opening or close detected , I got a different on and that show when my door is open but it’s show on the wrong side of the car , but again now steering control
Door can be swapped in the canbus settings.
Check the wiring diagram of you original radio / head unit if there is a KEY or SWC wire.

JRitman

Jul 30, 2021
Door can be swapped in the canbus settings.
Check the wiring diagram of you original radio / head unit if there is a KEY or SWC wire.
I will have a look, but steering wheel control still doesn’t work, but it’s also effected my car locking too , which strange. I need to check wire but I try to search but can’t find no reference to match it

mikeycore

Aug 5, 2021
I have exactly the same problem. I don't have 1 button on either the radio or the steering wheel. I've tried everything and I'm not getting anywhere with the seller.

The Rockk

Sep 18, 2011
UPDATE

UPDATE:
After messing about with the wiring and doing some research i figured out how to sort it and it worked for me. I had to cut the pink (SW1 wire) and connected this to the pin 10 black (GND) wire from the Connector x1 using some old cable to make it longer and connect them together , this gave a different voltage each time a button was pressed and in the steering wheel learning app it recognised it and i was able to set it up, so far it is all working.

If you need any help you can email me: [email protected] and i will try to help you
Hi,
ig i
UPDATE

UPDATE:
After messing about with the wiring and doing some research i figured out how to sort it and it worked for me. I had to cut the pink (SW1 wire) and connected this to the pin 10 black (GND) wire from the Connector x1 using some old cable to make it longer and connect them together , this gave a different voltage each time a button was pressed and in the steering wheel learning app it recognised it and i was able to set it up, so far it is all working.

If you need any help you can email me: [email protected] and i will try to help you
Hello. If I send you an email can you help me? I have the same problem: steering wheel controls not working. From the pictures it looks like we have the same connectors. Let me know if you are available for help. I would be grateful

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys.

Like you I have problems with SWC, also I have only Key 2 wire ( Blue/White) and nothing else no pink wire, seriously I'm lost. Seller in Aliexpress have no idea about what I'm asking. I tried everything wiring cables to each other in all possible combination 🤪🤪🤪, I'm tired and in lack of ideas. If someone had resolve the problem I appreciate any help.
    Ford Fiesta Trend 2016
    What is connected to your key1 wire?
    What is connected to your key1 wire?
    No key 1 I just have a Key 2 wire. I tried to cut all wires and linked one by one. Finally I connected a white with a blue and I got different voltage. I restored all other and it works now.
    Thank you for your reply I deeply appreciate.