Ford Fiesta Steering Wheel buttons not working

Search This thread

Haldamiiiir

Dec 3, 2020
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help. I installed a Tesla Style Android radio into my 2011 Ford Fiesta recently and everything works properly through the canbus except the Steering wheel controls. I've tried altering the canbus settings in the factory settings section but it didn't work. The radio can detect when the car is in reverse (for the camera to come on) and also when any of the doors are open so the canbus box is definitely working just not the steering wheel controls. I have the exact steering wheel controls as the original poster with the M button in the middle instead of the newer OK button. From what I understand, I need to take one of the wires coming off connector X1 and join it with another wire on connector A which is the ISO connection going into the back of the radio. This basically bypasses the canbus box for steering controls if I understand correctly. Problem is I have no idea which colour wires to join together! I also have a key2 brown wire coming off connector A that isn't going into anything but based on googling that's normal and can be ignored. Could someone provide photos or something as to which wires need to be joined

JRitman

Jul 30, 2021
No key 1 I just have a Key 2 wire. I tried to cut all wires and linked one by one. Finally I connected a white with a blue and I got different voltage. I restored all other and it works now.
Thank you for your reply I deeply appreciate.
Hey, Just wondering do you have any images for that change ? am having the same problem, I cant see key 1 but have key 2 in Pink left lose.

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
t.me
Realme GT 2 Pro
There's are two different ways the SWC works:
1. Via Canbus. In this case the correct canbus settings are required on the head unit and it's important to know that not all cars propagate the SWC to its canbus. So it may not work for your car even there is a canbus box in place.
The key functions are fix defined by the head unit firmware and can't be changed by the SWC settings app to assign functions to the buttons of the steering wheel.

2. Via resistance. The buttons of the steering wheel build a resistance matrix. You car has a KEY wire and a KEY GND wire and depending on which key you press the resistance changes (can be checked by measuring the resistance between KEY and Key GND with a multimeter).
The head unit has a connection for KEY1, KEY2 and KEY GND. KEY2 is only needed if you have a steering wheel with many buttons and your car manufacturer implemented two resistant matrices.
In this case the SWC settings app can be used to assign specific functions to the buttons.

JRitman

Jul 30, 2021
There's are two different ways the SWC works:
1. Via Canbus. In this case the correct canbus settings are required on the head unit and it's important to know that not all cars propagate the SWC to its canbus. So it may not work for your car even there is a canbus box in place.
The key functions are fix defined by the head unit firmware and can't be changed by the SWC settings app to assign functions to the buttons of the steering wheel.

2. Via resistance. The buttons of the steering wheel build a resistance matrix. You car has a KEY wire and a KEY GND wire and depending on which key you press the resistance changes (can be checked by measuring the resistance between KEY and Key GND with a multimeter).
The head unit has a connection for KEY1, KEY2 and KEY GND. KEY2 is only needed if you have a steering wheel with many buttons and your car manufacturer implemented two resistant matrices.
In this case the SWC settings app can be used to assign specific functions to the buttons.
Hi , I the original canbus in no steering wheel control or door opening or close detected , I got a different on and that show when my door is open but it’s show on the wrong side of the car , but again now steering control

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
t.me
Realme GT 2 Pro
Hi , I the original canbus in no steering wheel control or door opening or close detected , I got a different on and that show when my door is open but it’s show on the wrong side of the car , but again now steering control
Door can be swapped in the canbus settings.
Check the wiring diagram of you original radio / head unit if there is a KEY or SWC wire.

JRitman

Jul 30, 2021
Check the wiring diagram of you original radio / head unit if there is a KEY or SWC wire.
I will have a look, but steering wheel control still doesn’t work, but it’s also effected my car locking too , which strange. I need to check wire but I try to search but can’t find no reference to match it

JRitman

Jul 30, 2021
Hey, thanks for advice i found the setting for the door now, but something seem odd, its seem like I cant lock my car , am so confused what I done wrong

mikeycore

Aug 5, 2021
I have exactly the same problem. I don't have 1 button on either the radio or the steering wheel. I've tried everything and I'm not getting anywhere with the seller.

The Rockk

Sep 18, 2011
UPDATE

UPDATE:
After messing about with the wiring and doing some research i figured out how to sort it and it worked for me. I had to cut the pink (SW1 wire) and connected this to the pin 10 black (GND) wire from the Connector x1 using some old cable to make it longer and connect them together , this gave a different voltage each time a button was pressed and in the steering wheel learning app it recognised it and i was able to set it up, so far it is all working.

If you need any help you can email me: deelaw_12@hotmail.com and i will try to help you
Hi,
ig i
UPDATE

UPDATE:
After messing about with the wiring and doing some research i figured out how to sort it and it worked for me. I had to cut the pink (SW1 wire) and connected this to the pin 10 black (GND) wire from the Connector x1 using some old cable to make it longer and connect them together , this gave a different voltage each time a button was pressed and in the steering wheel learning app it recognised it and i was able to set it up, so far it is all working.

If you need any help you can email me: deelaw_12@hotmail.com and i will try to help you
Hello. If I send you an email can you help me? I have the same problem: steering wheel controls not working. From the pictures it looks like we have the same connectors. Let me know if you are available for help. I would be grateful

iron_savior

May 12, 2011
Hello guys i have the same issue as the OP. I have purchased a second hand android screen for my Ford Fiesta MK7 1.6 Ti-VCT 120PS 2009. This screen is exactly the same as the OP. The thing is that although the car's main radio unit buttons work, the steering wheel buttons don't work because my car's steering wheel buttons don't send signal to the android unit via resistance but via CAN to the canbus box which is not programmed to support the steering wheel CAN signal. To better understand my car's radio setup, see the attached pictures that show what is my dashboard, the car radio unit plugs-cabling and also the steering wheel buttons. My car's radio is without "Sync".

After researching, i think the way for the steering buttons to work is to purchase a canbus box that is programmed to also support the steering wheel buttons via CAN.

Does anybody of you with same car model and radio setup like mine managed to make the SWC work? I would appreciate very much any help.
Thanks in advance.

pic1.PNG

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

iron_savior

May 12, 2011
Hello again, can someone share with me the pinout diagrams of the following ford parts:

1) AUDIO FRONT CONTROL MODULE (ACM) (2 plugs, one 14pins + one 12pins)
see: picture1 attached
2) FRONT CONTROL/DISPLAY INTERFACE MODULE (FCDIM) (1 plug 12pins)
see: picture2 attached
3) FRONT CONTROLS INTERFACE MODULE (FCIM) (1 plug 8pins)
see: picture3 attached

I have searched the internet but wasn't able to find it.

Attachments

• picture3.jpg
    picture3.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 122
  • picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • picture2.jpg
    picture2.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Reactions: rcner

iron_savior

May 12, 2011
Hello guys i have the same issue as the OP. I have purchased a second hand android screen for my Ford Fiesta MK7 1.6 Ti-VCT 120PS 2009. This screen is exactly the same as the OP. The thing is that although the car's main radio unit buttons work, the steering wheel buttons don't work because my car's steering wheel buttons don't send signal to the android unit via resistance but via CAN to the canbus box which is not programmed to support the steering wheel CAN signal. To better understand my car's radio setup, see the attached pictures that show what is my dashboard, the car radio unit plugs-cabling and also the steering wheel buttons. My car's radio is without "Sync".

After researching, i think the way for the steering buttons to work is to purchase a canbus box that is programmed to also support the steering wheel buttons via CAN.

Does anybody of you with same car model and radio setup like mine managed to make the SWC work? I would appreciate very much any help.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 5581721
View attachment 5581723
View attachment 5581725
Hello again, can someone share with me the pinout diagrams of the following ford parts:

Anybody?

iron_savior

May 12, 2011
Good morning to the community. Yesterday i found sometime to deal with the steering wheel issue and after troubleshooting i managed to make it work at last so i share my findings.
So for someone like me with a Chinese android unit that everything works except the steering wheel buttons then the following solved my problem.

Warning. The fix bellow applies for my wiring setup. But for someone that has electrical, electronics background can easily apply it to his setup. So you have been warned, this fix is to be applied from people that know what they are doing. In any case, you use it at your own risk, i am not held responsible if you break your device.

1) From the Fiesta's OEM display 12pin plug stripe the "SWC1+" or "SMC" cable (Check Fiesta's official wiring diagrams to identify the cable color and pin number) and connect the "Key1" or "Key2" cable to it (for me it worked with "Key1") of the 16pin android display main plug (see attached images. Take the pin-out numbers as a reference and not the cable colors as each Chinese harness may have different cable colors but the pin-out functions based on pinout numbers is the same for every 16pin android unit).

2) Again from the 12pin Fiesta's OEM display 12pin plug stripe the "SWC1-" or "SMC Ground" and "GND" cables (Check Fiesta's official wiring diagrams to identify the cable colors and pin numbers) and bridge them with a cable.

3) Confirm that the "GND" cable from 2 step is connected to the "GND" cable of 16pin android main plug (Check attached images).

The key point for the above fix to work is the that the "SWC1-" or "SMC Ground" and "GND" cables must have common the "GND" cable that is connected to the 16pin android main plug and not any other "GND" point on the car.

I hope the above to help someone to fix his steering buttons.

Attachments

• Android 16pin diagram1.png
    Android 16pin diagram1.png
    218.7 KB · Views: 878
  • Android 16pin diagram2.jpg
    Android 16pin diagram2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 878
Last edited:
Reactions: 1979Damian

uberworker

Feb 28, 2023
Good morning to the community. Yesterday i found sometime to deal with the steering wheel issue and after troubleshooting i managed to make it work at last so i share my findings.
So for someone like me with a Chinese android unit that everything works except the steering wheel buttons then the following solved my problem.

Warning. The fix bellow applies for my wiring setup. But for someone that has electrical, electronics background can easily apply it to his setup. So you have been warned, this fix is to be applied from people that know what they are doing. In any case, you use it at your own risk, i am not held responsible if you break your device.

1) From the Fiesta's OEM display 12pin plug stripe the "SWC1+" or "SMC" cable (Check Fiesta's official wiring diagrams to identify the cable color and pin number) and connect the "Key1" or "Key2" cable to it (for me it worked with "Key1") of the 16pin android display main plug (see attached images. Take the pin-out numbers as a reference and not the cable colors as each Chinese harness may have different cable colors but the pin-out functions based on pinout numbers is the same for every 16pin android unit).

2) Again from the 12pin Fiesta's OEM display 12pin plug stripe the "SWC1-" or "SMC Ground" and "GND" cables (Check Fiesta's official wiring diagrams to identify the cable colors and pin numbers) and bridge them with a cable.

3) Confirm that the "GND" cable from 2 step is connected to the "GND" cable of 16pin android main plug (Check attached images).

The key point for the above fix to work is the that the "SWC1-" or "SMC Ground" and "GND" cables must have common the "GND" cable that is connected to the 16pin android main plug and not any other "GND" point on the car.

I hope the above to help someone to fix his steering buttons.
Hey sir, just wanted to confirm if my understanding is correct:
1. On the 12-pin oem display connector, bridge SWC1 + GND (colors may vary)
2. Bridge SWC1 from 12-pin connector to Key1 from the main harness
3. Make sure GND is common across 12-pin and main harness

Sound about right?

Attachments

• Fiesta SWC .png
    Fiesta SWC .png
    319.7 KB · Views: 502

iron_savior

May 12, 2011
Hey sir, just wanted to confirm if my understanding is correct:
1. On the 12-pin oem display connector, bridge SWC1 + GND (colors may vary)
2. Bridge SWC1 from 12-pin connector to Key1 from the main harness
3. Make sure GND is common across 12-pin and main harness

Sound about right?
1) From Fiesta's 12pin OEM display plug you connect "SWC1+" or "SMC" cable to "Key1" or "Key2" cable of the 16pin android display main plug.

2) Again From Fiesta's 12pin OEM display plug you bridge "SWC1-" or "SMC Ground" to "GND" (both cables are on the 12pin OEM display plug).

3) Make sure that the GND cable from Fiesta's 12pin OEM display plug is connected to the GND cable of the 16pin android display main plug.

jawo94

Mar 12, 2023
Hello,
Recently bought junsun android radio for fiesta mk7 (2009). And I'm having the problem with swc, its working but once i click volume - its increasing volume, if i press the vol+ its changing for the next song. I mean the buttons are doing other things then they suppose to. (I have the buttons with M in the middle)
If anybody had the same problem and know the fixing?
If i'm trying to remap them in swc settings, it still making random staff in background, instead of assinging them.

TorstenH

Feb 20, 2021
t.me
Realme GT 2 Pro
Hello,
Recently bought junsun android radio for fiesta mk7 (2009). And I'm having the problem with swc, its working but once i click volume - its increasing volume, if i press the vol+ its changing for the next song. I mean the buttons are doing other things then they suppose to. (I have the buttons with M in the middle)
If i'm trying to remap them in swc settings, it still making random staff in background, instead of assinging them.
You can try to directly connect the SWC of your car to the head unit, instead keep it connected to the can box.
The learning function is not available if SWC is realized via can box.

jawo94

Mar 12, 2023
You can try to directly connect the SWC of your car to the head unit, instead keep it connected to the can box.
Thanks! I just cut the wire which were going to the device itself and connected the key1. And it works now.
In my case it was pink (key1) cable connection with whitepink form original head dispaly connector

Attachments

• 20230313_130842.jpg
    20230313_130842.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Reactions: TorstenH

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    Hello everybody, I really don't know who to ask for help so I hope I am in the correct area of the forum.
    I recently replaced the radio on my European Ford Fiesta 2011 1.2L Petrol with an Android unit from Aliexpress. The unit is the one here:

radio.png

Unfortunately the only thing that doesn't work are my steering wheel buttons. I only have a set of them placed on the left side of the steering wheel.
    wheel.png

This is becoming annoying, especially because today I almost run into a car accident while decreasing the music volume on the unit itself.

Now, Aliexpress doesn't want to refund or replace the product, because according to them it should work straight away. But I remember that when I ordered the unit there was a customer comment saying that didn't work for him as well, but he fixed it doing some rewiring (I remember mentioning pink and brown something like that. Unfortunately the comment has been removed, and it was in russian). Obviously I tried to connect pink and brown together and doesn't work.
    I will add the pictures of all the connectors, I managed to find online the pinout with all the wiring colors. The unit came with some kind of CAN decoder, what's written on the label is:
    P/N: FORD-RZ-11
    SW: 0003
    HW: GM-ND03
    FOR: 09-12
    (190216)
    The rest is in Chinese, the QR code doesn't work and if I search on the internet I cannot find anything.

I have also draw a diagram showing the wiring between this box, the main car connector and the back of the radio unit.

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

can.jpg

can-rxtx.jpg

connector-wiring.png

extra.jpg

HTB1i5-Kf-Prrp-K1-Rj-SZTEq6-AWAVXa-I-jpg.png

HTB1itpmhe3t-HKVj-SZSgq6x4-QFXa-A.jpg

HTB1p-Y5m-Pxja-K1-Rj-SZFAq6zd-LFXai-jpg.png

HTB1-QRSDPxna-K1-Rj-SZFtq6z-C2-VXaq-jpg.png

Can someone please help me with this issue? :(
    Hello guys.

Like you I have problems with SWC, also I have only Key 2 wire ( Blue/White) and nothing else no pink wire, seriously I'm lost. Seller in Aliexpress have no idea about what I'm asking. I tried everything wiring cables to each other in all possible combination 🤪🤪🤪, I'm tired and in lack of ideas. If someone had resolve the problem I appreciate any help.
    Ford Fiesta Trend 2016
    What is connected to your key1 wire?
    What is connected to your key1 wire?
    No key 1 I just have a Key 2 wire. I tried to cut all wires and linked one by one. Finally I connected a white with a blue and I got different voltage. I restored all other and it works now.
    Thank you for your reply I deeply appreciate.