FOREVER stuck on Recovery - Unable to mount many partitions (Invalid argument) - unable to transfert file - Gave up previously

Search This thread

yakine13

Jan 7, 2014
Hello Everyone and thanks for reading my problem.

I have in my hand a beautiful Poco F2 Pro that I've got for 70€ as the previous owner gave up on this issue.

From what I undrestood the phone was never able to get detected in PC after formating everything (TWRP), making the previous owner unable to put any rom internally to flash. Of course, no Backup of ROM was made. I purchased it because I have the exact same model and that it might be useful for parts replacement, but if I can fix it, It'll make me sooo happy!

INITIAL STATE:

1- Device is STUCK in TWRP 3.6.0_11-RedmiK30Pro_v3.0.3_A12 and only boot to Fastboot else.
2- Device has NO OS and NO Files inside (Everything was formated)
3- Bootloader is UNLOCKED
4- UNABLE to get recognized or detect:

• PC USB Storage
  • Fastboot
  • Download mode
  • ADB sideload
  • Mi flash
  • OTG USB storage...
Tried with different cable, same issue. Though the phone is charging. as a result : I CAN'T fix this issue by downloading files and placing them inside.

5- From my understanding, the issue might be caused by the inability to mount many partitions.

List of partition unable to be mounted (output from TWRP):
Failed to mount '/system_root' (Invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/vendor' (Invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/persist' (Invalid argument)
-> Fixed after progress 1.
Failed to mount '/product' (Invalid argument)
Failed to mount '/odm' (Invalid argument)

6- Unable to format some of theses partitions, for example system isn't showing in advanced format, so I can't fix it by changing data type (ext2/ext3), I've already done that with data, no impact on other partitions.

We can exclude hardwares issues as the ribbon/flex cable and the Bottom board (where the USB C connector is) have been replaced... twice. Which give me 3x set that all give the same result. but maybe that it's something inside the motherboard?

PROGRESS:
I made an encouraging progress first as:

1- I was able to fix the PERSIST partition (critical one) by following this tutorial and restoring a xiaomi backup in Terminal command( files where SDA22 and SDA23).
I was really excited as I was sure that this was causing the usb port to not work. Unfortunately, it gave the same result.

List or remaining partitions that can't be mounted (when trying in twrp):
  • system_root
  • system_ext
  • vendor
  • product
  • odm
-> All with the same reason: Invalid Argument

CURRENT WORK:

- Trying to find a way to fix mounting all partitions, Focusing on /System or OTG as it might lead to more possibility (PC Detection, External storage for rom flashing).
- Trying to understand what Invalid argument is and how to fix it.
- Trying to see if I can restore more Xiaomi factory backup of files (like in dev/block/by-name)

Tool I have: TWRP and its terminal... and that's it.
At this point: it's up to fixing the phone, with the phone.

I will appreciate any help given. I don't know if it's allowed but I might send few coffee if the solution is found.

Thank you all <3.

Last edited:

NOSS8

Recognized Contributor

I have in my hand a beautiful Poco F2 Pro that I've got for 70€ as the previous owner gave up on this issue.

From what I undrestood the phone was never able to get detected in PC after formating everything (TWRP), making the previous owner unable to put any rom internally to flash. Of course, no Backup of ROM was made. I purchased it because I have the exact same model and that it might be useful for parts replacement, but if I can fix it, It'll make me sooo happy!

INITIAL STATE:

1- Device is STUCK in TWRP 3.6.0_11-RedmiK30Pro_v3.0.3_A12 and only boot to Fastboot else.

• PC USB Storage
  • Fastboot
  • Download mode
  • ADB sideload
  • Mi flash
  • OTG USB storage...
Tried with different cable, same issue. Though the phone is charging. as a result : I CAN'T fix this issue by downloading files and placing them inside.

5- From my understanding, the issue might be caused by the inability to mount many partitions.

6- Unable to format some of theses partitions, for example system isn't showing in advanced format, so I can't fix it by changing data type (ext2/ext3), I've already done that with data, no impact on other partitions.

We can exclude hardwares issues as the ribbon cable and the Bottom board (where the USB C connector is) have been replaced... twice. Which give me 3x set that all give the same result. but maybe that it's something inside the motherboard?

PROGRESS:

1- I was able to fix the PERSIST partition (critical one) by following this tutorial and restoring a xiaomi backup in Terminal command( files where SDA22 and SDA23).
I was really excited as I was sure that this was causing the usb port to not work. Unfortunately, it gave the same result.

• system_root
  • system_ext
  • vendor
  • product
  • odm

CURRENT WORK:

- Trying to find a way to fix mounting all partitions, Focusing on /System or OTG as it might lead to more possibility (PC Detection, External storage for rom flashing).
- Trying to see if I can restore more Xiaomi factory backup of files (like in dev/block/by-name)

I will appreciate any help given. I don't know if it's allowed but I might send few coffee if the solution is found.

Thank you all <3.
Could be a motherboard problem, has the flex cable been changed with the USB port.

yakine13

Jan 7, 2014
Could be a motherboard problem, has the flex cable been changed with the USB port.
Yes as I statted: "... the ribbon (flex) cable and the Bottom board (where the USB C connector is) have been replaced... twice. "

I hope it's not a motherboard problem.

If some of you know how to play with terminal in TWRP and maybe do some work on the file in the phone. or maybe some testing point allowing for an USB 2.0 interface. idk at this point.

NOSS8

Recognized Contributor
Yes as I statted: "... the ribbon (flex) cable and the Bottom board (where the USB C connector is) have been replaced... twice. "

I hope it's not a motherboard problem.

If some of you know how to play with terminal in TWRP and maybe do some work on the file in the phone. or maybe some testing point allowing for an USB 2.0 interface. idk at this point.
Please consider that changing the USB port twice is very strange and there is a strong probability that the motherboard is defective.

Try to see if you can connect it in EDL mode.
When the phone is completely out of order, it goes into EDL mode but to see it with Miflash (com port) on the PC, the qualcomm drivers must be installed.
If you see it in EDL mode, all is not lost.
Here an example:
https://www.droidwin.com/unbrick-xiaomi-fix-device-stuck-in-edl-mode-via-qfil-tool/

Btw: I didn't see that you had changed the ribbon/flex cable, maybe I saw it wrong but since you edited your post, I see it.

yakine13

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for the tips, I will Try the EDL path tomorrow and update my post accordingly (I edit a lot :) )
I think that I tried the Touch point behind the mobo but Since I only see Fastboot and no reaction from PC.
I will try again.

It's strange to have the Communucation protocol die in a motherboard, did it happened before? A device with dead data lines over usb? I've never heard of that tbh.

yes: I've indeed added "/flex" next to ribbon after your comment.

NOSS8

Recognized Contributor
It's strange to have the Communucation protocol die in a motherboard, did it happened before? A device with dead data lines over usb? I've never heard of that tbh.
This failure is not recurrent but I have already seen it several times.
Considering that everything was done correctly and with the right parts.
You can try to strip a USB C cable plug it into the other POCO that works and using a tester check the power supply and the resistances Ω, then you can compare with the one that does not work.

Check on the TWRP present if:
twrp-reboot-edl-mode.jpg

yakine13

Jan 7, 2014
You can try to strip a USB C cable plug it into the other POCO that works and using a tester check the power supply and the resistances Ω, then you can compare with the one that does not work.

twrp-reboot-edl-mode.jpg

Tried using the EDL touchpoint method, while this didn't helped and the phone wasn't still detected, I discovered from where the problem might be:

This is my working unit :

Working (1).jpg

Working (2).jpg

And this is the not working unit :

Damaged (1).jpg
Damaged (2).jpg

So the previous owner did a mess trying to go into EDL and damaged some small SMC... what a shame, I don't even know or have the missing component (some kind of diode/cap with a "T" and "=" above ?! anyway).
Even if I had that, It's too tricky to solder on this kind of size.

I don't know if it's causing the usb to not work, probably.

I guess I'll have to keep it for part only...

Though, what about the (Invalid Argument) error in twrp?

I wish to be able to fix that one, who knows. tbc

Thx for your help NOSS8 :)

Reactions: NOSS8

NOSS8

Recognized Contributor
Surely this phone had a problem at the hardware level and he tried the EDL mode thinking of a software problem and may have damaged other elements.

Invalid argument: the command you are requesting from TWRP cannot be executed, partition damaged, defective, missing.

Reactions: yakine13

flashgordon65

Nov 27, 2022

INITIAL STATE:

• PC USB Storage
  • Fastboot
  • Download mode
  • ADB sideload
  • Mi flash
  • OTG USB storage...

We can exclude hardwares issues as the ribbon/flex cable and the Bottom board (where the USB C connector is) have been replaced... twice. Which give me 3x set that all give the same result. but maybe that it's something inside the motherboard?

PROGRESS:

• system_root
  • system_ext
  • vendor
  • product
  • odm

CURRENT WORK:

Thank you all <3.
Hi..i am by no means experienced in solving this kind of issues, but i seem to recall ever encountering a similar issue..i am not sure if i recall my steps correctly but i will try to share what i think i did.

Since you mentioned can only boot into fastboot mode, you can try this command - fastboot format:ext4 userdata. i had not come across ext2 or ext3 before, so i don't know what those are...i don't even know what ext:4 is...but that's the command i used...then i was able to go back to recovery n then used the wipe/format data functions under recovery. i hope it works for you too. :)

yakine13

Jan 7, 2014
Hi..i am by no means experienced in solving this kind of issues, but i seem to recall ever encountering a similar issue..i am not sure if i recall my steps correctly but i will try to share what i think i did.

Since you mentioned can only boot into fastboot mode, you can try this command - fastboot format:ext4 userdata. i had not come across ext2 or ext3 before, so i don't know what those are...i don't even know what ext:4 is...but that's the command i used...then i was able to go back to recovery n then used the wipe/format data functions under recovery. i hope it works for you too. :)
Hey thanks for this information but Fastboot and Adbdevices isn't detected by the computer. Except charging, no data are being passed through usb.

As stated before, I definitely think it's related to hardware issue. Thanks for your help

Reactions: flashgordon65

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

twrp-reboot-edl-mode.jpg

Tried using the EDL touchpoint method, while this didn't helped and the phone wasn't still detected, I discovered from where the problem might be:

This is my working unit :

Working (1).jpg

Working (2).jpg

And this is the not working unit :

Damaged (1).jpg
    Damaged (2).jpg

So the previous owner did a mess trying to go into EDL and damaged some small SMC... what a shame, I don't even know or have the missing component (some kind of diode/cap with a "T" and "=" above ?! anyway).
    Even if I had that, It's too tricky to solder on this kind of size.

I don't know if it's causing the usb to not work, probably.

I guess I'll have to keep it for part only...

Though, what about the (Invalid Argument) error in twrp?

I wish to be able to fix that one, who knows. tbc

Thx for your help NOSS8 :)
    Surely this phone had a problem at the hardware level and he tried the EDL mode thinking of a software problem and may have damaged other elements.

Invalid argument: the command you are requesting from TWRP cannot be executed, partition damaged, defective, missing.

Hey thanks for this information but Fastboot and Adbdevices isn't detected by the computer. Except charging, no data are being passed through usb.

As stated before, I definitely think it's related to hardware issue. Thanks for your help